Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Attending an Ivy later in life (40+)

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 1:40 PM

I guess my first thought is why? Which Ivy? Did you go to college the first time around? Do you have to borrow any money? Will you be living with the kids? Do they allow that? Will you be working?

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 4:35 PM

OP, as it so happens I started law school at 40, albeit not at an Ivy. It wasn't *that* unusual, but if you mean undergrad that's another story. Do you already have a college or university degree of some sort? And is there some reason you want to go back now, and specifically to an Ivy? Have you inquired at their admissions office what's required for students your age? (e.g. is there any point in submitting 25-year-old high school transcripts) Have you signed up for the SAT? (IIRC schools nowadays only permit scores that are a decade old at most)

The biggest questions: why do you think an Ivy degree would help you now, and are you prepared to spend the requisite $250K+ on attending school in this day & age? (Or, perhaps more accurately, are you prepared to be stuck paying off student loans possibly all the way through retirement?)

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 4:40 PM

Assuming costs and practicality aside, what would be the perks? Are the networking options and cachet worth it? If you’ve gone yourself, would you say it gave you an edge in your career? Life in general? Does it open doors?

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 4:46 PM

OP- Is only going for the access to Ivy League COCK 🥒

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 4:54 PM

I assume OP is talking about grad school. Very little chance he could get in undergrad at his age.

Grad school at Harvard or Yale is easier to get into (not counting MBA or Law), and a lot of people just want that feather in their cap that they attended an Ivy, even at an older age. If they can afford it, why not?

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 5:08 PM

Grad school is fine. Undergrad would be extremely weird even if you were in your later 20s. The entire experience is designed with 18 year olds in mind. If you want to go to undergrad in your 40s, choose a commuter school.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 5:11 PM

You ain't attending MY Ivy unless I get paid.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 5:25 PM

I can understand the desire to get an Ivy degree for medicine, physical science or law…maybe business…but why the hell for anything else?

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 5:40 PM

What you're getting with an Ivy are impressive contacts and connections; are you really going to be networking with 20 year olds at 40? Doubtful. They're not even going to look up from their phone if you say hello, and you will make them hyperventilate with anxiety if you try to make eye contact. You can get that treatment at a community college for much less.

Why not save your money and your dignity and go to a "good" or "very good" school?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 5:52 PM

I don’t see the harm in it whether you ever use a degree you get there or not. Unless you’re imagining you may make friends among non-existent peers. I completed a BA at a non-ivy when I was more than 60 years old and it at least lowered the premium on my car insurance.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 6:05 PM

New tip, Dataloungers: don't go to college for lower car insurance premiums. It's actually not a very good deal when you crunch the numbers!

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 6:19 PM

Go for it, OP. I went back to college ten years after I dropped out. I had the passion & did very well. However, make sure you are familiar with the technology you will be using in all aspects of school. Library & research systems, administrative tools, classroom & class-specific tools, apps etc. Read reviews of them so you can get a gist of what you'll be in for. It was my biggest stumbling block my first semester. I had dropped out in 1999 and returned around 2009. My academic advisor kindly gifted me my first thumb drive after he saw me pull a small case of 3.5 inch disks out of my backpack in his office 🤣

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 6:41 PM

R10 is a great example of how a college education is not at all an indicator of intelligence, nor older age for wisdom.

I can see a lot of harm in it--to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But of course with the money your expensive degree could potentially save on car insurance, you might be able to treat yourself to an Applebee's early bird special once or twice a month.

It's all in how you look at things, I guess!

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 6:44 PM

I’d be surprised if any Ivy or Ivy-adjacent would admit someone 40+ to their elite undergrad colleges. Some have a separate “continuing Ed” unit that offers a more general degree, is usually cheaper, classes at night or weekends, and are not taught by the big-name faculty. There may be exceptions (a friend skipped Radcliffe to become a soloist with the NYCB and when she retired did an undergrad at Columbia—such narratives are rare).

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 8:27 PM

When I was at Harvard in the 80s, all freshman lived in the Harvard Yard, except for those in Pennypacker and another house whose name I forget. It is a Harvard tradition. There is no way OP would be allowed to live with 17 and 18 year olds in the Yard.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 8:31 PM

Why not? I could pass for 17 or 18.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote] Why not? I could pass for 17 or 18.

A bit past peak ripeness but otherwise intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 9:44 PM

I had a good friend who graduated from NYU at age 44. Sadly he died a few months after graduation.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 9:49 PM

In all seriousness, should I tell others my real age? I don’t want them to automatically discriminate against me, especially since I won’t really know many people yet. Maybe I should keep it a secret?

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 9:50 PM

Yale has a program that facilitates enrollment of older students at Yale College. According to their website, currently enrolled students range in age from their early twenties to their late sixties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 10:05 PM

It'll be hard to get into a good fraternity.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 10:07 PM

Assuming a graduate degree and others have, I don't see anything remotely odd about it. OP's question leads me to think he might expect questions on the investment versus return question.

If he's doing it as an intellectual pursuit, that's great; or maybe to change careers to something he always wanted to pursue but never did. There are genuine benefits of that if the OP has the means to pursue them without having to extract a certain percentage return on money invested.

Time counts, or should do, for someone in his 40s. If it's only money he wants, there's the question of is it worth it? If it's a passion, and a passion he can afford, how can the answer not be yes? If it's the former the time and money invested.weigh in very different ways than if it's a passion.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 10:18 PM

Colombia has a undergrad program for "non traditional" students, and it has been popular with veterans on the GI Bill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 10:22 PM

I doubt you will be scoring any sorority girl pussy unless they have daddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 5:13 AM

This is a gay site, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 1:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!