Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mel Gibson Day on TCM

What in the hell is wrong with them?

They're showing an entire marathon of Mel Gibson movies today.

The Bounty (1984), Mad Max (1979), Ransom (1996), Mrs. Soffel (1984), and The Year of Living Dangerously (1982).

Five movies in a row! For a racist and misogynist pig.

I can think of dozens more deserving actors than Mel Gibson whose movies should get a marathon on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 5:00 AM

I like Mad Max.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 4:01 PM

I want to watch his Jesus movie missed it in the theaters.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 4:08 PM

He’s awful, but so beautiful in The Year of Living Dangerously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 4:09 PM

TCM would never show that, R2.

Too controversial.

Although I think a Mel Gibson marathon is just as controversial, given his views on Jewish people.

I wonder what Ben Mankiewicz thinks about having to introduce his movies?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 4:10 PM

That's actually a great selection of movies. He looks handsome in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 4:12 PM

Tongiht! We pay tribute to our favorite anti-Semite, misogynist and all around bad human being, Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 4:43 PM

Braveheart is missing. Miss soffel was meh. He's actually a very good director. He needs to make more films.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 10:29 PM

I loved Mrs. Soffel. Mad Max and The Road Warrior are great.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 10:31 PM

Fuck you, Sugar Tits!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote] Cancel Mel Gibson

Every day, as dawn’s rosy fingers reach through my window, I arise and check in with Twitter, to see what fresh hell awaits. Generally, by about 6:30, I’ve been made furious by the outrage du jour. But recently, I experienced more of a sense of bemusement than ire, as I took in Deadline’s headline: “Mel Gibson in Talks to Direct Lethal Weapon 5.”

Gibson is a well-known Jew-hater (anti-Semite is too mild). His prejudices are well documented. So my question is, what does a guy have to do these days to get put on Hollywood’s no-fly list? I’m a character actor. I tend to take the jobs that come my way. But—and this hurts to write—you couldn’t pay me enough to work with Mel Gibson.

Now, I love the Lethal Weapon movies (at least the first few). And Danny Glover’s a gem. But Gibson? Yes, he’s a talented man. Many horrible people produce wonderful art. Put me down as an ardent fan of Roald Dahl, Pablo Picasso, and Edith Wharton; can’t get enough of what they’re selling. But these three had the good taste to die. That makes it a lot easier to enjoy their output. Gibson lives. And Tinseltown need not employ him further.

If Gibson is welcomed back to direct the latest installment of this beloved franchise, it may be time to stop publishing think pieces about the power of “cancel culture.” Because if he can continue to find big bucks and approbation in Hollywood, cancel culture simply does not exist.

Gibson’s political beliefs are—as my father would say—somewhere to the right of Ramses (check out YouTube to see Gibson saluting Donald Trump at a UFC fight). He has said sexist things and yelled racist slurs, and that should have been enough for liberal Hollywood to cut him off. But his reported anti-Semitism has been more consistent, more open, and more egregious.

The fact that this doesn’t seem to bother Warner Bros. executives makes me wonder if, to them, “Jews don’t count”—as the comic David Baddiel posits in his book of the same name. Baddiel, a British Jew, argues that “polite” society treats anti-Semitism as a semi-acceptable form of prejudice. And most maddening and confusing is that the anti-racist, progressive left often seems to tolerate and, at times, produce it. It breaks my heart to ponder how many Jews must have been part of the process that led to Warner Bros.’ announcement.

This might feel like a smaller matter if it didn’t come at a moment when members of my tribe feel the walls closing in again. Jews were the victims in more than 50 percent of religious-based hate crimes last year. In recent years, we’ve witnessed the Tree of Life massacre in Pittsburgh, the murder at the Chabad of Poway synagogue in California, Jewish students harassed on college campuses, European anti-Semitism on the rise—these are the headlines that make us feel unsafe. Is this really the time to glorify a man like Mel Gibson?

Yes, he has denied some of the stories of his anti-Semitism, like the time Winona Ryder said he asked her if she was an “oven dodger” at a party. Color me unconvinced. This is the man who directed and co-wrote The Passion of the Christ, a film that, in addition to earning Rotten Tomatoes’ highest audience score for a film in Aramaic (as of this writing), is also a gleeful attack on my people, portraying Jews as eager Christ-killers, a libel that has been used as an excuse to torment and murder Jews for two millennia.

Don’t agree with my take on the film? Okay, let’s look at Gibson’s arrest record.

In 2006, a fershnikit Gibson was pulled over on Malibu’s Pacific Coast Highway and detained for drunk driving. In the back of the police car, Gibson reportedly went on an anti-Semitic tirade, prompted by his (correct) suspicion that his arresting officer was Jewish. “Fucking Jews,” Gibson said. “The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” Gibson later claimed that, under the influence of alcohol, he had said things he didn’t actually believe, but, seriously, in vino veritas—I myself once stood up at Nobu after a bit too much sake and announced, “I wish I were taller!”

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 10:39 PM

In 2006, a fershnikit Gibson was pulled over on Malibu’s Pacific Coast Highway and detained for drunk driving. In the back of the police car, Gibson reportedly went on an anti-Semitic tirade, prompted by his (correct) suspicion that his arresting officer was Jewish. “Fucking Jews,” Gibson said. “The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.” Gibson later claimed that, under the influence of alcohol, he had said things he didn’t actually believe, but, seriously, in vino veritas—I myself once stood up at Nobu after a bit too much sake and announced, “I wish I were taller!”

If the police report doesn’t move you, let’s go to the tape.

In 2010, recordings of voicemails and phone calls between Gibson and his then-girlfriend (and mother of his child) Oksana Grigorieva were publicly released. I recognize that my argument that anti-Semitism is somehow singularly excusable is undermined by what these recordings show, which is that in addition to being a rabid anti-Semite, Gibson also has deep malice toward women and people of color in his heart. Lowlights include Gibson’s telling Grigorieva, “If you get raped by a pack of niggers, it’ll be your fault” and “Shut the fuck up! You should just fucking smile, and blow me! ’Cause I deserve it!”

You get the idea. Let me remind you also that Gibson pleaded “no contest” to a charge of domestic battery against Grigorieva in 2011.

How can Warner Bros. (a company founded by Jews) possibly consider hiring this man again? On its parent company’s website I found a very laudable “inclusion” policy. It reads, in part, “WarnerMedia is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our workforce, content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us.”

Beautiful. Really. But may I humbly suggest that in addition to a robust inclusion policy, Warner Bros. needs an equally robust exclusion policy? How about “Don’t hire racist, anti-Semitic misogynists”? Free advice: Avoid this trifecta, Warner Bros. You want a triple threat? Don’t hire Mel Gibson; search for the next Donald O’Connor!

And it’s not just Warner Bros. that’s wearing moral blinders. Earlier this year it was announced that Gibson will star in a John Wick origin series for Starz and Lionsgate Television. How did this guy become such a hot ticket again? Is it just that memories of his hate speech have faded, while Hollywood’s recollection of his box-office pull remains?

It is inarguably true that the main targets of Gibson’s prejudice are the Jews, but what boggles my mind is that Hollywood is also overlooking his profound misogyny and forays into anti-Black racism. I wish anti-Jewish hatred alone were enough to get him cast into the wilderness, but, hey, if it has to be because of his other prejudices, I’m okay with that. Let him take the hundreds of millions he’s already earned in Hollywood and retire somewhere nice to contemplate his life choices. I hear the Judean Hills are lovely this time of year.

I write this knowing that it’s more likely to lead to a boycott by Warner Bros. of Joshua Malina than of Mel Gibson. But if that’s the result, so be it. I’ve had a nice career, baruch Hashem. It would be great if higher-profile executives, producers, and actors would also take a stand. Then I could believe in this cancel culture I keep reading so much about. And I could also believe that Jews do, in fact, count.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 10:40 PM

Oh yeah, Lethal Weapon needs to be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 10:45 PM

Ben Mankiewicz is a sellout if he has anything to do with this "marathon."

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 10:47 PM

Did fangirl Jodie Foster buy TCM?

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 10:48 PM

OP, they’re movies people like. Grow the fuck up. Part of being a mature adult is separating the art from the artist. Just because he’s a crazy pig, doesn’t make the films he did any less entertaining. You’re free to watch something else.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 10:51 PM

R11, people can click a link. Stop acting like a hysterical loon.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 10:52 PM

Boycott TCM.

There's no excuse for showing a Mel Gibson marathon.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 10:53 PM

I don’t have a problem with it as long as they mention that Gibson is a lunatic antisemite, just as I don’t have a problem with them doing marathons for other filmmakers who were horrible people. D.W. Griffith was a disgusting racist who helped to reinvigorate the Klan a hundred years ago. He’s also one of the most important and influential filmmakers in American history. A channel devoted to the history and art of cinema should absolutely have a Griffith marathon every once in awhile. Just make sure to mention that he was a piece of shit. Gibson was a major movie star who became a talented Oscar-winning director. If TCM wants to do a marathon of hid films, that should be ok as long as they mention what an awful human being he is.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 11:02 PM

[quote] I don’t have a problem with it as long as they mention that Gibson is a lunatic antisemite, just as I don’t have a problem with them doing marathons for other filmmakers who were horrible people

Exactly.

Why is there no "Woody Allen Marathon" or a "Roman Polanski Marathon??"

Fucking hypocrites.

Both Woody and Roman are far more renowned than Mel fucking GIBSON.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 11:04 PM

Everyone knows he's an asshole but a talented actor and director.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 11:27 PM

R39 Mel Gibson films will draw more viewers than polanski or Allen. Of all the three of watch Polanski the most.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 11:48 PM

Poor Robert Osborne must be rolling in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 11:57 PM

I hate him.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 2:49 AM

Here comes the triggered Jews. Most triggered group of tribes

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 3:13 AM

This whole forum is jew.

Hates on Europeans, middle easterners and christians. Can you say jew?

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 3:14 AM

Hate the artist, love the art.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 3:14 AM

What a bunch of pussies. The man is awful but made some great films. Cancel culture trash!

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 3:17 AM

Cancel TCM!!!

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 5:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!