Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Whoopi Goldberg’s career go straight down the shitter?

She was white hot after Ghost & Sister Act, she was the highest-paid actress at the time, then by 1997 her leading lady status was gone. In 1996 she headlined 4 flops: Eddie, Bogus, Theodore Rex and The Associate, and a supporting role with Oscar buzz in another flop Ghosts of Mississippi. The Associate was actually a really great movie, full movie in YouTube link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2022 12:28 PM

The real question is the reverse: How did this unattractive purple-lipped dame even have any career in Show-Business?

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 2:44 PM

She was a black woman in a white man’s world.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 2:45 PM

She thought she could be the next Paul Lynde by being the center Hollywood Square.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 2:48 PM

Whose career do you think she should have had? By all accounts I think she’s been pretty damn successful.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 2:51 PM

Yes, she didn't have a bad run at all. Especially considering she isn't the easiest to cast and not many actresses have long, high profile careers as leads as it is.

I am surprised she didn't work more in supporting roles post the 90s though. But I suspect that was mostly her idea. She doesn't seem to want to give up her The View gig. The salary is much better probably and keeps people talking about her.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 3:02 PM

She did make some bad decisions career wise, but she has endured. She seems to have all but given up on making movies…

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 3:12 PM

Her performance in "The Color Purple" is one of the best in the history of American cinema. There wasn't much Hollywood could do with her after that, she was not a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 3:14 PM

She was a character actress who had an interesting run on the front burner.

The Color Purple was perfect for her, as were the Sister Act movies, but I don't know that anything that's happened since has captured her talents so perfectly.

She should have done more character work, but whether it was her choice or her people, they kept trying to land her leading roles. And she just really isn't a leading lady.

It's a shame she wasn't able to find the right TV vehicle. I hate seeing her wasted on The View. She is in that solely for the money, as she's all but admitted before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 3:18 PM

[quote]She seems to have all but given up on making movies

Sister Act 3 is supposedly finally going to be filmed.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 3:20 PM

I think between “The Color Purple” and “Ghost” she more than demonstrated her versatility as an actress. I think while she had the talent, writers and producers just didn’t know what to do with her. She was a character actress (second banana) and there just wasn’t a lot of those type roles being written.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 3:20 PM

Roles for women are in short supply, roles of black women are even more rare

Unless she develops roles for herself - but she is no longer an A-list star that can open a movie. Despite Color Purple, Ghost & Sister Act

It is all cyclical, she had her day in the sun. Now she is re-inventing herself as a character actress, doing smaller roles in TV and film

Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 3:22 PM

Didn’t the producers of FATAL BEAUTY cut her sex scenes with Sam Elliott because test audiences weren’t comfortable with them?

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 3:23 PM

Whoopi reached a tricky level of success. She was hugely famous but also not likely to find great parts. It was bound to be downhill from there. Remember: Sister Act was a fluke given it was written for Bette, and Ghost only happened because Patrick really pushed for her to get it. It wasn't like there were tons of big gigs she could get. She happened to get two big ones in quick succession.

I di agree Hollywood Squares was a surprise and probably signaled her departure from the A List. But maybe she was fine with that and saw the writing on the wall. Better something steady.

Looking back, Sister Act, Ghost, Star Trek, Color Purple and Soap Dish were all great. Corina, Corina too.

That's more than most actresses get, even in terms of variety. I get the sense she burned out a bit and was glad to settle.

She clearly hates The View though and is just going through the motions. I wonder if/when she'll leave.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 3:24 PM

She stuffed herself so full of herself and pot fumes there was no more room left for intelligence, performance or a consistent respect for the truth.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 3:25 PM

She has 200 credits on IMDB. I'd call that a successful career.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 3:26 PM

She appeared in many more films than fellow Oscar winner Cher whose film career was brief.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 3:27 PM

She's also good as the detective in Robert Altman's "The Player."

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 3:27 PM

Ahhhh the 80s, when you could say f@ggot as a joke right in the movie trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 3:29 PM

On the plus side, Whoopi had a LOT of talent.

On the negative side, there was... everything else. She wasn't the right age, level of attractiveness, or color to have become a huge, A list film star in the '80s and '90s. And yet, for several years, that's exactly what she was.

It was quite incredible she achieved all that she has, because the odds were greatly stacked against her. It's a testament to her talent, her work ethic, and commitment that she did so well, because it sure as hell could not have been easy.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 3:29 PM

OP she's ugly. She's not leading lady material. Her roles are limited.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 3:34 PM

She had and still has a great career. But she let herself go, looks terrible and unhealthy. Sorry, Whoop, but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 3:37 PM

Whoopie had health problems and gained weight. I don't think she ugly - she has a unique look

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 3:40 PM

You answered your own question there OP. She had a four flops in a row which finished her status as a leading lady. No studio was going to invest in movie starring her after that number of box office failures. The problem with Goldberg's was studios continually cast her "fish out of water" comedies while I think she wanted to take her career in a more serious direction which she did in several films that basically went under the radar. Goldberg was also terrible at selecting films I mean Theodore Rex for christsake! The Associate is really her last decent leading lady film (it also has a fantastic supporting cast) but it bombed due to lack of promotion and being pegged as a Mrs. Doubtfire ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote] Goldberg was also terrible at selecting films I mean Theodore Rex for christsake!

My understanding about "Theodore Rex" is that she was forced to do it

When Kim Basinger ducked out of the movie Boxing Helena, she was forced to pay $7.4 million in damages. That judgment gave precedent to lawsuits against stars who balked at being in films they may have previously agreed to star in.

The truth about Theodore Rex is sealed in settlement agreements, but we do know that Whoopi didn’t want to be in the movie. In 1993, she and the movie’s production company sued each other when negotiations over the film broke down. Whoopi said she never agreed to be in the movie, but producers said they’d hired a production crew based on her commitment for $5 million and profit sharing. The producers wanted Goldberg or $30 million in damages, and the Basinger decision gave them a chance. The case didn’t go away quietly. Instead, it blew up.

Judge Stephen Lachs refused to throw out the case and forced Goldberg to testify. The twist? Producers said they had a smoking audio tape of Whoopi agreeing to do the movie. A trial date of September 27th was set. Facing the prospect of a real trial over a dinosaur movie, Goldberg agreed to settle (and was rumored to take $7 million with her as a fee).

The skeptical expression she wears throughout Theodore Rex provides the answer: she will if forced to in a court of law.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 3:53 PM

R24 great story

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2022 3:56 PM

Theodore Rex full movie here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2022 4:00 PM

It’s too bad her sitcom didn’t run longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 4:14 PM

Did anyone see the Sister Act musical, and was it any good?

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 4:17 PM

I enjoyed her in Corrina, Corrina. She had great chemistry with Ray Liotta. For being an odd duck of sorts, she managed to do quite well in her film career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 4:18 PM

I also liked her performance in Sarafina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 4:20 PM

Whoopi is a working Character Actor. She has never NOT been working.

Her ability to showcase young black talent on The View is revered.

Her career has not gone down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 4:22 PM

She did a guest spot on Glee! Of course her career went down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 4:24 PM

Whoopi has the distinction of being the only black actress to have made Quigley Publishing's annual list of Top 10 movie stars.

From 1915 to 2013, Quigley's gauged film actors' bankability/box office clout.

Whoopi made the list not once but thrice (1986, 1992, 1993).

The other black actors to have made the list are:

Sidney Poitier (1967, 1968, 1969)

Eddie Murphy (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1998, 2000)

Will Smith (1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)

Denzel Washington (2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Poitier ('68), Murphy ('87), Smith (2008), and Washington (2012) each topped the list once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 4:30 PM

"Corinna, Corinna" was a refreshing change of pace for both Whoopi Goldberg and Ray Liotta in that each got a rare opportunity to play against type. And, yes, the chemistry was perfect.

Rest In Peace, Ray Liotta.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 4:30 PM

She was a recurring Madame Tibideaux on Glee, six episodes.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 4:30 PM

R28 The Sister Act musical was pretty good. I saw it in Toronto several years ago. The music was catchy. The movie was still way better though.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2022 5:58 PM

[quote] Whoopie had health problems and gained weight.

She also has the problem that, despite being an Academy Award level actress for over 35 years, people still cannot spell her name right.

It's WHOOPI, but she gets Whoopie, Whoppi, and every other variation out there.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2022 8:11 PM

Well, it's a made up kind of stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2022 9:32 PM

[quote]She was a recurring Madame Tibideaux on Glee, six episodes.

And nobody believed her as an accomplished artiste/dean of a performing arts school. Was the role originally intended for Phylicia Rashad?

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2022 9:38 PM

Whoop is doing alright these days, the View pays her around $7 million a year, and she still gets time off for occasional acting gigs. She's doing fine for a long varied career and around age 70(?). She's already worth millions, she's fine. She's the big Whoop. :-)

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2022 9:43 PM

Correction...Whoop makes $8 million a year for the View, and as of February 2022, her net worth is about $60 million. Like I said, Whoop I'd doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2022 9:45 PM

Correction... Whoop is 66...

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote]And nobody believed her as an accomplished artiste/dean of a performing arts school..

R39 How come? I've never seen GLEE.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2022 9:55 PM

I love Whoopi. I appreciated that she tried to be an action star in the ‘80s when it was mostly a men’s club. I still enjoy Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Burglar, and Fatal Beauty. And her desire to be on Star Trek The Next Generation.

Whoopi and Sissy Spacek were wonderful in the underrated The Long Walk Home. Far superior to The Help. They should have been Oscar nominated but the film flew under the radar and/or the release got bungled.

I echo the love for Corrina, Corrina. It was so nice to see so many fans of the film when people paid tribute to Ray Liotta. Whoopi and Liotta had great chemistry and that film showed both of their versatility in film.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2022 10:33 PM

It was the head wraps, r43.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2022 10:42 PM

She got fat.

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2022 10:49 PM

Is her career “dead-dead”?

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2022 11:00 PM

Whoopi has gone GOP. She’s calling for tax cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 1:21 AM

She was amazingly versatile (and hilarious) in her one-woman Broadway show (directed by Mike Nichols). It launched her film career.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 1:45 AM

r48, it is so funny that Whoopi is both a black woman and a VERY RICH Black woman.

When she goes off on taxes, I see the clash.

So funny.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 1:03 PM

I'm one of 17 EGOTs. Kiss my big black ass.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 7:49 PM

Because she sho is ugly!

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2022 12:34 PM

"Big Stone Gap" was a sweet little movie with Ashley Judd, Patrick Wilson, and Whoopi (playing her usual cantankerous character).

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2022 7:47 PM

I feel like she's relevant, and doing fine at the moment. My only negative comment about her, in general, is that she is just so damned full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2022 7:57 PM

I wonder if this might have had anything to do with it. See below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2022 8:15 PM

I can see why men have been attracted to her…she seems like she is fun to hang out with. What is that French term DLers use for ugly but attractive women?

by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2022 8:22 PM

R56 jolie laide Though I don't imagine Whoopi got laide too much

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2022 4:30 AM

Whoop got plenty of prime dick.

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2022 6:15 AM

The Associate is my go-to feel good movie.

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2022 12:16 PM

I like her, but not on The View where she easily steps in shit. I mean, Jill Biden for Surgeon General?

by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2022 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!