Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road

PBS documentary about Brian Wilson. Anyone watching. It’s so good. The Beach Boys music, which I had no appreciation for at the time, is brilliant to me now. Brian is still highly medicated but also still a musical genius. Both fun to watch and sad.

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2022 2:15 AM

Can you imagine an adoption agency giving a bunch of kids to Joe Schmoe with tardive dyskinesia who talks like a first grader? But Brian Wilson? Sure! Take a bunch of kids

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 1:38 AM

Alexa Demie’s adopted father

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 1:44 AM

R1, is that you, Brian. Not following.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 1:49 AM

Who is Alexa Demie?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 1:57 AM

Alexa Demie= Maddie on Euphoria

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 2:01 AM

OP, you might really like Love and Mercy, a biopic. John Cusack is miscast as older Brian, but Paul Dano is excellent as young Brian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 3:59 AM

I watched the special last week - I really enjoyed it. I like how openly complimentary he was about Carl singing God Only Knows and about cousin Mike Love singing California Girls. …. He is still childlike - who was the the guy who died in Holland? Once it was mentioned - he was totally side tracked…… The special used the handsome blond from Foo Fighters - the one who passed away lately as a talking head.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 4:15 AM

One of the great American songwriters, although he self-destructed. Still, how many people wrote that many masterpieces?

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 4:20 AM

They did indeed R7. Taylor Hawkins. One of the clips was Taylor talking about sensitive people being drawn to drugs and alcohol. Clearly it was autobiographical but we didn't know at the time.

R6: saw Love and Mercy a while back. It was quite well done. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 12:55 PM

Does PBS still break into any remotely interesting show with a 20 min money grab? I've given up on this station all together because these endless interruptions.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 1:00 PM

It was very good. I was expecting to not learn anything new and to see him as more of a vegetable, but he's merely an eccentric old rocker who's lost his voice and plays with a low intensity band, which means he's like all the other oldies acts, only a little more crazy.

Unsaid is how brief his "genius" really was, mental illness and heavy drug use aside. Also, the "surf sound" owed a lot to earlier close harmony groups and duos, which is not mentioned. There is brief mention of Jan & Dean with whom the Beach Boys often were confused. Jan & Dean even recorded some of Wilson's compositions. They are warts and all regarding Landy but not heavy handed about it. The structure Landy provided probably was helpful in the beginning but it obviously turned into a power/money grab.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 1:11 PM

[quote] R1], is that you, Brian. Not following

Brian and his second wife adopted a shitload of kids. No way in hell a guy looking and sounding like Brian Wilson gets to adopt kids unless they have millions of bucks.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 8:07 PM

I enjoyed the doc. I'm a huge fan of TBB and of Brian Wilson's work.

The doc prompted me to check out Dennis Wilson's solo work... which is just not terribly interesting. (And he's no Carl or Brian Wilson in the vocals department.) But at least Dennis was undoubtedly the hottest dude in the band.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 8:15 PM

He was R13. Wasn’t he also friends with Manson?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 8:20 PM

Yes, there was that, alas...

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 8:22 PM

Dennis Wilson was also the only Beach Boy who actually surfed despite all their surfing references in their songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 8:23 PM

From the link at R16

In 1968, Dennis met Charles Manson and immediately became fascinated by the strange character.

Months later, The Beach Boys drummer decided to end this new friendship because he thought Manson was, in fact, too strange. Charles Manson answered by leaving a bullet with a cryptic message at his house.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 8:25 PM

.... and he died by drowning.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 8:25 PM

More hot Dennis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 8:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 8:34 PM

[quote]There is brief mention of Jan & Dean with whom the Beach Boys often were confused.

I’m ashamed to say I still get them mixed up when I hear certain songs.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 8:35 PM

I'll have to check this out; my dad used to play Beach Boys records all the time. The still sound to me like the official anthem of summer. I remember the first time I went to the Pacific Ocean (in San Diego) and it was cold, smelly with lots of seaweed & thought "this is it? THIS is what they were singing about?" I felt cheated.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 8:45 PM

Brian's voice, when he was young, was amazing, loaded with range.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 8:52 PM

But not great pitch control.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 10:31 PM

A little pitchy, Dawg.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 10:31 PM

The Pacific is a pretty disappointing ocean. Not very warm in sunny Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 2:03 AM

R23 Mike Love looked middle aged at 23.

Yes, Brian was pitchy, but his voice was beautiful, especially on Surfer Girl and In my Room.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 5:47 AM

Carl's vocal on "God Only Knows" is unsurpassed. Really beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 3:20 PM

I watched this last night. Brian is a sweet, with a sort of innocence, soul. Extremely talented with an incredible ear for different sounds and complicated musical combinations. With all that he's been through, with his breakdown and mental issues...he's the only surviving brother. He just turned 80 this month...6/20. He and Paul McCartney are the same age....with Paul's birthday on 6/18. I love The Beach Boys. Their music was huge in my youth, having a summer house at the Jersey shore. It brings back so many memories. Brian is still plugging along and continues with his music. He still sounds pretty good. The documentary is sad..Brian struggling so much in his life, and a reminder of a simplier and happier time of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 3:40 PM

He's opening for Chicago on tour this summer. Quite a change from quitting touring with the BB and being terrified to go outside.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 3:50 PM

Thanks so much for the recommendation, OP.

I’ll check it out this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 4:06 PM

Their bubble-gum surfer period is the least interesting, musically. I much prefer everything post panic-attack Brian.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 5:07 PM

I find them so strange and uneven. Sometimes transcendent and sometimes kind of nerdy.

Read a bio of Brian Wilson a long time ago and remember feeling so horrified at the abuse he and his brothers endured at the hand of their frustrated/failed musician of a father.

But he’s on the road again, at 80. That’s amazing.

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2022 4:27 PM

I think he’s a bit overrated because Americans want to feel like they had a genius rock group like the Beatles during the 60s. He was good, but all his songs sound the same. I mean, Norman Whitfield was a great American songwriter & producer in the 80s, but you never hear about him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2022 10:27 PM

Sorry, that’s a typo where I wrote 80s it was supposed to be 60s.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2022 10:30 PM

I've heard of Norman Whitfield, r34 r35, and I remember his songs, though I probably didn't associate his name with them as they were coming out. I listened to 77 WABC-AM starting in 1963. I know I didn't like "Pride & Joy" or "Too Many Fish in the Sea." I thought "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and "Beauty's Only Skin-Deep" were alright, but I didn't like them enough to buy them.

"I Heard It through the Grapevine" I loved. I bought both Marvin Gaye's version and Gladys Knight's. I didn't buy 45s much after 1968 or so, but I did get "I Wish It Would Rain," "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," and "Just My Imagination."

Except for "Grapevine," "Just My Imagination," and "Papa," I didn't play these singles as much as I did my Beach Boys records. I guess I was just a white boy.

Now I'm a superannuated white boy, one who loves "He Was Really Sayin' Something," which I didn't know existed until I bought a compilation box set in the '90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2022 12:37 AM

I clench up thinking of Brian sorting through his demons one more time.....

Love him, and yet going through it again......

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2022 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!