Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Living Daylights (1987)

My personal favorite James Bond movie.

The Living Daylights is more of a John la Carre Cold War espionage thriller than a James Bond flick.

After Bond helps a Russian general make a daring defection to the West, the intelligence community is shocked when the general is abducted from his remote hiding place. Bond leaps into action, following a trail that leads to the gorgeous Kara, who plays Bond as easily as she plays her Stradivari cello. As they unravel a complex weapons scheme with global implications, they are forced into international chases, a riveting jailbreak, and an epic battle in the Afghanistan desert with tanks, airplanes and a legion of freedom fighters on horseback.

Timothy Dalton is easily the best actor to play Bond. A member of the RSC, he also appeared in such distinguished films as The Lion in Winter, Cromwell, Mary, Queen of Scots, Agatha, Chanel Solitaire, and The Doctor and the Devils.

The rest of the cast include Maryam d'Abo, Jerome Krabbe, Joe Don Baker, Art Malik, John Rhys-Davies, Andreas Wisniewski, Thomas Wheatley, Desmond Llewelyn, John Terry, Caroline Bliss, Walter Gotell, Geoffrey Keen, and Robert Brown as "M."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 11:38 PM

Timothy Dalton was hot

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 4:28 PM

One of the best Bond themes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 4:34 PM

The Living Daylights and From Russia, With Love are films, not Bond flicks.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 4:49 PM

I like the general's lair with the creepy human size wax dolls.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 5:35 PM

I figured this thread would get more comments.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 9:31 PM

Don't like Dalton as Bond. Liked him as Mr. Rochester. For me it's Moore all the way.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 9:40 PM

R6 Moore was too wishy-washy for me.

He had three good Bond films- Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only. He had three terrible films- The Man with the Golden Gun, Moonraker, and A View to a Kill. Octopussy is somewhere in between.

Dalton was consistently good.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 9:51 PM

Moore had a way with the quips that did me in. Dalton tried too hard to be the romantic Bond. I found it a little cringe-y.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 11:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!