Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the best part of "Marnie"?

A sequel to the other poll! We must honor 'Tippi' before she dies (she's not getting any younger).

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 9:49 PM

I don't rate it highly among Hitchcocks. It's third-tier stuff for him, and both lead performances are poor in different ways (Tippi overextended; Connery pinched and wooden), but I like bits and pieces of it. The opening is a brilliant attention-grabber, the camera following the woman with the yellow purse. The psychology of the scene with the mother and the little girl is interesting. Diane Baker has fun (and good hair) in all her scenes as the jealous sister-in-law, and it's a shame she vanishes with so much movie left (another victim of a Hitchcock supporting-character malady I call Midge's disease).

But the high point of the film is the nearly silent robbery of the office safe, with the shoe dangling from her pocket.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 2:21 PM

Sean Connery's hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 2:26 PM

There’s a best part of Marnie?

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 2:41 PM

Boo Hiss DL. While considered a misfire at the time of its release, Marnie is rightfully hailed as a masterpiece by contemporary film critics and scholars.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 7:15 PM

The ending. The credits.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 9:04 PM

I think Louise Latham's performance as Marnie's mother is masterful.

R1, I enjoy that tense office sequence, too. I like the score so much that I can hum a couple of the motifs from memory and the weird story line about the colour red also appeals to me.

I first saw this movie as a teenager, but after viewing it again as an adult, I became better aware of Hitchcock's sometimes perverted and obsessive point of view being played out - the frigid blonde woman, the need to master her and "break" her like she's a wild animal that he now owns because he bought and blackmailed her, and obviously culminating with the rape, which Hitchcock may have found to be part of a justifiable progression and even personally satisfying.

The cartoonish artificiality that Hitchcock always seems to infuse his films with strikes me as repulsive at times and intriguing at others, depending on the scene.

Anyway, it's a weird movie that I found both fascinating and repugnant, and that's my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2022 9:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!