Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good podcast recommendations, please!

In any genre? For crissakes so many are cheesy.

I'm listening to Jon Hamm's "American Hostage" now. A radio drama. It's ok, for the genre, I see what it's trying to do, and I give it a B-.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 29, 2023 1:55 AM

Bumping for podcast entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2022 11:31 PM

Gaslit America. Sarah KendZior is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2022 11:38 PM

Joe Rogan

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2022 11:51 PM

My Oriental Bussy

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2022 12:33 AM

For light fare: Everything Iconic, Cover to Cover, I Said No Gifts, Ask Ronna (the older ones). If you want to learn: Common Sense or Hardcore History by Dan Carlin, Sway with Kara Swisher. True crime: Casefile or Dateline

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2022 1:07 AM

Wendy Williams'.

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2022 1:34 AM

“The Mystery Show” particularly the belt buckle episode.

“The Dropout”

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2022 2:00 AM

I like Dateline and 48 Hours.

by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2022 2:15 AM

The Plot Thickens - the series on Lucille Ball. She was a teenage slut.

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2022 2:36 AM

Frasier Crane’s “Nightmare Inn”

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2022 2:45 AM

Chapo Trap House, Everything Iconic, Dear Chelsea, Very That with Delta and Raja, Bad Gays, True Anon, and That's a Gay Ass Podcast.

by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2022 2:54 AM

Mike Tyson

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2022 2:54 AM

^theriouthly????

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2022 3:19 AM

Currently listening to the most recent season of You Must Remember This. It is about 80s erotic mainstream films (mainly erotic thrillers) and it has been fun listening to deep dives on some of the lesser remembered movies in the genre.

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2022 3:26 AM

Wendy Williams has a new one coming out

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2022 3:27 AM

I have a feeling it isn't going to come out soon. How does someone get dementia at 57? Is cocaine that bad? I love Wendy so much, I wish she would get better :(

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2022 8:42 PM

Kara Swisher just recorded her final Sway but I recommend Pivot, the podcast she does with Scott Galloway. Two really smart people.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2022 9:39 PM

The comedy podcasts under Comedy Bang Bang are pretty good, but they are paywalled.

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2022 9:41 PM

Brohio, Where Did the Road Go, Hollywood Crime Scene, Pretty Scary, Straight Talk, Penny Royal, Let’s Read, Angel at the Starlite Motel, Necronomipod, Astonishing Legends,Anne Ortelee’s weekly Weather, Rotten Mango, The Rialto Report and The Read.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2022 9:45 PM

#SistersInLaw

[quote]"Joyce Vance, Jill Wine-Banks, Barb McQuade, and Kimberly Atkins will pull back the curtain on how our government actually works, take on the corrupt, share their wisdom and give us their rulings on the latest in politics, law, and culture."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2022 9:54 PM

Last Podcast on the Left

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2022 9:59 PM

Joe Rogan is trash aimed at those that are lost in life and easily manipulated.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2022 10:00 PM

I drove from Kansas to Texas yesterday and I listened to the "Home Cooking" podcast nearly all seven hours. It's hosted by Sameen Nousrat (I might be spelling that wrong), the author of 'Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat', and her co-host an Indian American guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Each episode was an hour or so, and it made my drive much easier as the time passed more quickly. If anyone has more cooking podcasts to recommend, I would like it very much as I have to make that drive again soon.

My complaints about podcasts in general: the hosts meandering too much or laughing too much. Home Cooking is no exception, in fact, it may be one of the worst about the laughing. I don't mind a sense of humor but get a fucking editor, no one wants to hear you laughing for 30 solid seconds at a time, ten times per episode. Or even half that!

I have noticed a lot of the better podcasts going the subscription route.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2022 10:06 PM

Who the fuck liked the Joe Rogan post twice? The poster himself?

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2022 10:08 PM

Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast. Great interviews, and co-host Frank Santopadre is an encyclopedia of showbiz trivia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2022 10:09 PM

R14 I need to listen to that one. I used to watch a lot of movies on cable as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2022 10:16 PM

Spy Talk. They interview ex-CIA and get great stories about past missions. Very well done!

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2022 10:20 PM

True Spies is excellent, too.

by Anonymousreply 28July 2, 2022 10:21 PM

Gilbert Gottfried died.

by Anonymousreply 29July 2, 2022 10:33 PM

^ but there is a large archive of episodes at the link above. Anyway, Frank Santopadre is the one who conducts the interviews, Gilbert would just chime in with a question now and then, or provide an impersonation of James Mason or whoever. I hope Santopadre continues the show.

by Anonymousreply 30July 2, 2022 10:49 PM

Pod Save America

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2022 11:22 PM

Hidden Brain is pretty good. If you're a Datalounger who likes podcasts, you'd probably like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2022 11:30 PM

Really good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2022 12:42 AM

Our Hen House.

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2022 6:39 AM

When will ElderLez have a podcast? What will it be called?

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2022 2:57 PM

R30, On the last podcast recorded with Gilbert and made available after his death, Frank pretty much made it clear that the podcast would not continue without Gilbert.

I thought it might, since Frank was the primary interviewer and Gilbert's wife produced the podcasts and booked the guests.

At least there are eight(8) years of podcasts available both on YouTube and on the podcast's web site.

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2022 3:05 PM

I enjoy the D-Listed podcast. Michael K is always funny, though tame compared to back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2022 3:57 PM

Why suggest? Some DL resident asshole will just shit on my recommendation. Not worth the try.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2022 4:29 PM

Don't let it stop you R38, there's an asshole in every thread; we're used to it.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2022 6:21 PM

Post links, dipshits.

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2022 6:28 PM

R25 I was about to recommend Gottfried's podcast. I never followed his career and was unaware of it until after he died but I listen to it quite often. I was mostly surprised that the ones with Mario Cantone are good episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 3, 2022 6:30 PM

The Office's Pam and Angela have one but they tend to be shrill and hard to listen to for an extended period of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2022 6:34 PM

Behind the Bastards is a great podcast about historical monsters. Episodes about Roy Cohn are terrific. Host Robert Evans is allegedly bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2022 7:19 PM

I wish people wrote more about concept of podcast they are recommending.

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2022 7:19 PM

ElderLez Chat

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2022 7:32 PM

Spy Talk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2022 8:40 PM

This one is the better of the two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2022 8:42 PM

I haven't listened to this one, but it's one of the 'top' new podcasts according to Apple. It's about weird stuff (killers) in national and state parks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2022 8:48 PM

Definitely do R26. I know some people have issues with Karina Longworth’s affected narration voice, but You Must Remember This episodes are so well-researched, it doesn’t matter (at least to me).

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2022 8:49 PM

You Must Remember This is a podcast that came highly recommended. It has interesting topics but the host has an odd way of prounouncing words, such as 'buh-in' for button. The background music is distracting too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2022 8:57 PM

There really should be a Datalounge Digest type podcast with multiple sections per episode Cooking with Bronze Age Gay (suck a fat one, Greg) Eldergays Reminisce, My Childhood Was Worse than Yours, How to Lose 79 Pounds in Three Weeks (different guest dieter every week), etc.

by Anonymousreply 51July 3, 2022 9:15 PM

My gripe with most podcast is that they are recorded like a chat where I'm invited for an afternoon tea. The first ten minutes are usually fluffy small talk with the co-host or guest. It's fast-forward time until the actual topic starts. So my nerdy recommendations are more radio shows than podcast.

One is Fresh Air with Terry Gross from NPR. Even if the topic is not your favorite, she can still create a very interesting interview with her guest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 3, 2022 9:22 PM

Oh Dearing Myself: once a week a guest Datalounger reflects on a completely avoidable disaster they caused...

by Anonymousreply 53July 3, 2022 9:24 PM

My second recommendation is even nerdier: The History of the English Language. It's more a history course about England/Britain than a linguistic class. But those who are into either should like this. The only downside: It's a bit drawn out. It could have been limited to fifty episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 3, 2022 9:25 PM

I agree with the Fresh Air suggestion. A lot of people don't like her but she can make people or events you've never heard of, or ever thought much about seem fascinating in ways that few others, if any, can.

by Anonymousreply 55July 3, 2022 9:27 PM

And then there is Hollywood & Levine. Ken Levine is primarily a sitcom writer, ranging from MASH to Frasier. He has lots of insight on Hollywood's TV production business, specifically sitcoms from the 60s to the 90s, and some interesting guests every now and then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 3, 2022 9:29 PM

I was just going to post that I wish John McWhorter would make a language podcast, and guess what I found...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 3, 2022 9:32 PM

I'm not sure the Karina Longworth podcast is all that well-researched. For instance, in the Manson Family series she related how a distraught Roman Polanski holed up in a bungalow at Paramount that had just been vacated by Julie Andrews after filming The Sound of Music. The Manson murders were in August 1969, and TSOM was filmed at Fox in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 58July 3, 2022 9:39 PM

Thanks for that recommendation, r57. Will definitely check it out.

by Anonymousreply 59July 3, 2022 9:44 PM

Interesting, R58. I listened to those episodes but I never would have caught that. I was 8 years old the first time we went to Los Angeles for vacation, we watched the moon landings in July when we were there. We were home about a week or so when the Manson murders happened and my mom flipped the fuck out and said we were never going there again. We went several times over the years. The Twilight Zone helicopter accident occurred the last time I was in LA, oddly enough.

by Anonymousreply 60July 3, 2022 9:56 PM

Does anyone know what happened to RuPaul’s podcast?

by Anonymousreply 61July 3, 2022 11:02 PM

Didn’t know Rupaul’s podcast ended. I had listened for a while but it just wasn’t for me, especially since I don’t watch Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 62July 3, 2022 11:26 PM

This is the more current John McWhorter (linguistics) podcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2022 4:37 AM

Dan Carlins hardcore history. If you like history this is the place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2022 4:57 AM

So many people act like podcasts are the second coming in media.

Radio stations use to upload their programs and shows after broadcasting on websites, and no one went ga ga over the content then, even though they covered a lot of spaces mainstream podcasts cover.

Maybe it's people wanting to feel 'zeitgeisty'?

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2022 5:05 AM

I like “Fly on the Wall” (David Spade and Dana Carvey, and “Literally” (Rob Lowe)

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2022 5:05 AM

R35 Anything I Don't Know Doesn't Really Matter.

by Anonymousreply 67July 4, 2022 5:08 AM

In the self-help/psychology realm, try Psych & Spirit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2022 5:09 AM

Swindled is probably my favorite - it's about different scams of varying degrees of impact (some small time and funny, some big time and tragic) but the narrator has a delivery that will make me laugh out loud. Let's call it dark comedy. I am also getting into The Gilded Gentleman (about the gilded age) and Vulgar History. You Must Remember This is one of my favorites (I just read her Howard Hughes book and loved it) and TrueAnon has some running bits I can't get out of my head (no way I'll ever listen to Evil Woman the same way again).

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2022 5:15 AM

Tim Dillon

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2022 5:16 AM

Conan O'Brien

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2022 5:17 AM

Smartless.

It can be overwhelming when they’re all talking at the same time, but they get some really good guests.

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2022 3:46 PM

More suggestions? I loved “You Must Remember This.”

by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2022 10:46 AM

You must remember this and Bowery Boys are my favorites. I also love my trashy Bravo podcasts Watch what Crappens and Giselle & Robin from Real Housewives of Potomac’s podcast Reasonably Shady.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2022 12:17 PM

Pivot with Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway. Really smart takes on business, tech and politics.

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2022 2:33 PM

If you're REALLY into Agatha Christie, there's this one, that analyzes a different work every week. Unfortunately one of the co-hosts recently died before they finished covering Aggie's entire oeuvre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2022 3:11 PM

Julian & Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2022 3:13 PM

^ ‘Round the Horn

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2022 3:15 PM

I wonder why RDJ hasn’t appeared on Raw Blow’s pod.

They are apparently quite fond of each other and RDJ has been on everyone else’s podcast.

by Anonymousreply 79August 13, 2022 3:33 AM

"Eyes on Gilead" is a great Australian podcast about The Handmaid's Tale.

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2022 12:04 AM

You Must Remember This is a very effective litmus test for people who are worth knowing.

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2022 3:20 AM

I have been putting off You Must Remember This because of my aversion to people who say buh-uhn instead of button, etc., but I'm going to try it this week.

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2022 4:46 AM

You Are Good

You're Wrong About

You Must Remember This

Blank Check

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2022 4:56 AM

Revolutions (a very well researched podcast on revolution around the globe); Well There's Your Problem (about engineering disasters); and another vote for You Must Remember This

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2022 5:05 AM

To me, The Ringer has the best lineup of podcasts. Every week I listen to the following:

The Big Picture (discusses new movies)

The Watch (discusses all things related to TV)

The Town (film/tv industry — hosted by former Editor in Chief of The Hollywood Reporter)

Tea Time - Celebrity gossip o

Prestige Podcast - Deep dive discussions about prestige TV episodes

by Anonymousreply 85August 15, 2022 5:49 AM

I started Talking Sopranos - episode by episode recaps w/ insider chatter and guests hosted by Christopher / Michael Imperioli. Good insider stuff if you are a Sopranos fan.

by Anonymousreply 86August 15, 2022 10:48 AM

Based on recommendations here, I’m going to give podcasts another go.

So far, I’ve never been able to finish one. There’s an NPR-style tone most of them have. It’s very self-conscious and try-hard.

Also, someone here at DL recommended a skin care one and I’m still mad about it. Two self-indulgent young women blathering endlessly about how “Like… freckles are like… really beautiful!”

by Anonymousreply 87August 15, 2022 11:58 AM

Fresh Hell: Murder, Mystery, and the Macabre is great. It's done by two women, Annie in Boston and Johanna in Austria, but the editing makes it seem as though they're having a conversation in the same room. They dig up lots of details and cover more obscure crimes, mysteries, and just plain weird events. I enjoy their show so much more than the stupid and irritating My Favorite Murder, because they don't go off on frau-y tangents. And they both have very pleasant, smooth voices, which is important to me (I'm shallow).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 15, 2022 12:17 PM

Hollywood Handbook. Start at the beginning. Two Hollywood insiders give you a peek behind the red carpeted hallways called shoebiz.

by Anonymousreply 89February 6, 2023 1:52 AM

The Con Queen of Hollywood was also good. About a very smart insidery scam that’s so well-done for such paltry pay out.

by Anonymousreply 90February 6, 2023 1:54 AM

Seek Treatment with Cat & Pat. A podcast about boys, sex, fucking, dating, and love. Comedians with a sticky vernacular style.

by Anonymousreply 91February 6, 2023 1:55 AM

Sexy Unique Podcast. Bitch Sesh. Both Bravo oriented shows.

by Anonymousreply 92February 6, 2023 2:43 AM

[quote]So many people act like podcasts are the second coming in media. Radio stations use to upload their programs and shows after broadcasting on websites. So many people act like podcasts are the second coming in media.

Well radio stations don't do that anymore. Radio stations and everything else are now basically corporate owned garbage.

by Anonymousreply 93February 6, 2023 3:33 AM

There was a good podcast with Noel Casler of The Apprentice that was about how insane it was working with Donald Trump. The drugs he took, like Adderall, how he wore Depend, and how would casually walk around the set after shitting his diaper.

by Anonymousreply 94February 6, 2023 9:58 AM

I recently stumbled across a podcast called "80s TV Ladies" about female-driven '80s tv shows which I've found very enjoyable (and I think, a few DLers would, too).

It's still relatively new, so they've only done episodes about Scarecrow & Mrs. King and Remington Steele, thus far. (Cagney & Lacey, Designing Women & GG are on their list). They've had some really interesting guests, including a two-part interview with Stephanie Zimbalist that is possibly one of the most DL things I've ever heard. She loves to name-drop (knows a fuckton of people) & talk about herself. Speaks very warmly of Pierce & the relationship he had with her father; casually outs her sister; and does a spooky impression of Jessica Tandy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 7, 2023 7:35 AM

R5, Cane Faces of Death. ElderLezbos take on murders.

Came Face The Nation. ElderLezbos take on the issues facing the country, from an ElderLez perspective.

by Anonymousreply 96March 2, 2023 11:59 AM

The Wittering Whitehalls. The parents of the British comedian Jack Whitehall. They just... witter and it's pretty charming if you find slightly posh British people with marvellous vocabularies amusing (the old man was a talent agent (Judi Dench, Colin Firth) so he's got some good stories to tell and he is very grumpy, takes no prisoners and swears a lot.) I laughed so hard at one point I nearly drove off the road last week. Just amiable chatter. Honestly, podcasts have in the main turned out to be such a disappointment to me it's a marvel when I find one can hold my attention. This is light comedy, but I really savour it.

by Anonymousreply 97March 2, 2023 12:03 PM

Dolly Parton's America is amazing. It's about more than Dolly. I highly, highly recommend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 2, 2023 12:10 PM

Listening to The Witch Trials of JK Rowling, which is well done.

by Anonymousreply 99March 3, 2023 7:05 PM

Basic: when Cable was Cool is fun, not really a history but more of a reminiscence of a time before streaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 9, 2023 6:49 PM

Into It with Sam Sanders (culture)

Pivot with Kara Swisher and Scott Galloway (business/tech, politics)

On with Kara Swisher (business/tech, some politics)

The Town with Matt Belloni (Hollywood)

The Tennis Podcast

The Bulwark With Charlie Sykes (politics with smart GOP and former GOP Never Trumpers willing to say what a danger the Repubs pose to the country)

by Anonymousreply 101March 9, 2023 6:59 PM

"Stavy's World" with comedian Stavy Halkias

I look forward to it every week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 28, 2023 10:57 PM

"Cover to Cover" with Chris Franjola

and Alex Conn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 28, 2023 10:59 PM

"A Date with Dateline"

Kimberly and Katie recap episodes of "Dateline" and other True Crime shows.

It's like watching with your best friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 28, 2023 11:06 PM

Black Hoodie Alchemy

by Anonymousreply 105July 28, 2023 11:45 PM

I wish the Darfur orphan would start a podcast where he interviews celebrities

by Anonymousreply 106July 28, 2023 11:46 PM

^ especially if they came on with their private chefs and talked about their gormet diets

by Anonymousreply 107July 29, 2023 1:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!