Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Iconic Hong Kong jumbo floating restaurant CAPSIZE is COMPLETE!

Well, this doesn't sound suspicious at all. Is HK's lockdown as severe as Bejing's?

HONG KONG — Hong Kong's iconic Jumbo Floating Restaurant has capsized in the South China Sea less than a week after it was towed away from the city, its parent company said Monday.

The restaurant encountered "adverse conditions" on Saturday as it was passing the Xisha Islands, also known as the Paracel Islands, in the South China Sea, and water entered the vessel and it began to tip, according to Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises Ltd.

The company said no one was injured, but that efforts to save the vessel failed and it capsized on Sunday.

"As the water depth at the scene is over 1,000 meters, (it makes it) extremely difficult to carry out salvage works," it said in a statement.

It said the company "is very saddened by this accident."

The Jumbo Floating Restaurant, almost 80 meters (260 feet) in length, had been a landmark in Hong Kong for over four decades, serving Cantonese cuisine to over 3 million guests including Queen Elizabeth II and Tom Cruise.

It closed in 2020 due to the pandemic and laid off all its staff. Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises said the restaurant became a financial burden to its shareholders, with millions of Hong Kong dollars spent on its inspection and maintenance even though it was not in operation.

The restaurant was towed away last Tuesday. The company said it planned to move it to a lower-cost site where maintenance could be carried out.

It said that prior to its departure, the vessel had been thoroughly inspected by marine engineers and hoardings were installed, and all relevant approvals were obtained.

"The company is now getting further details of the accident from the towing company," the statement said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2022 12:09 PM

Manny! Manny! Manny!

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 7:43 AM

How convenient it should sink just as they decided once and for all it had become a white elephant!

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 8:00 AM

Yep, just after laying off the entire staff and moving to a more "affordable" location.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 8:02 AM

"It sank, boss."

"Ho! Ho! Ho!"

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 8:20 AM

Sum Ting Wong with Story.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 8:24 AM

[Quote] No one could have foreseen this tragic turn of events. Said Captain Hoo Lee Fuk

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 8:26 AM

That vessel doesn't look like it would be seaworthy on the open seas with waters over 3,330 ft in depth.

Poor insurer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 8:29 AM

As the restaurant sank Captain Bang Ding Ow yelled to First Mate Wi Tu Lo, but it was too late

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 9:48 AM

The insurance company is preparing its response.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2022 9:53 AM

So, it now sits over 3000' down at the bottom of the sea. Oh well, it'll make a lovely artificial reef for the fishies. If it landed upright that will surely be a grand sight. They should send remote controlled cameras down there to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2022 10:11 AM

Did anyone eat there?

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2022 10:18 AM

How convenient that it capsized at the deepest spot of the journey so it's impossible to salvage the vessel. They now save maintenance and probably millions in decommissioning fees and could also get millions from the insurance company.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2022 12:22 PM

Now I regret not going over to Aberdeen at night when I’ve been there. Not to eat, I’m sure the food was terrible but just to see it lit up.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2022 12:53 PM

Chinks doing chink things

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2022 1:09 PM

I got food poisoning at Jumbo!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2022 2:20 PM

Jumbo is Chinese for ptomaine

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2022 2:36 PM

The kitchen boat capsized recently, too! Nothing fishy at all. Could an insurance company prove intent to defraud, though? The "undisclosed shipyard"business - don't operators have to file a plan that includes destination like plane operators are supposed to file flight planes? So many questions...

[quote] The restaurant's main boat was traveling to an undisclosed shipyard when it capsized on Saturday after meeting "adverse conditions"

[quote]But as the fishing population in the island's southern harbor dwindled, the restaurant group became less popular, and had been suffering a deficit since 2013.

[quote] The pandemic dealt the final blow, with Jumbo's owners announcing in March 2020 they had accumulated losses of more than $13 million and the restaurant would be closed until further notice.

[quote]Several proposals had been put forward to save the historic icon, but its high maintenance cost had deterred potential investors, with Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam also ruling out a potential government bailout to save the attraction.

[quote]Without a "white knight" rescuer that the city had been waiting for, the owner's decided to move the Jumbo Floating Restaurant, the main boat, to an undisclosed shipyard before its operating license expired at the end of June.

[quote]Tai Pak, the smaller and older boat dating back to 1952, as well as a recently capsized kitchen boat, remain docked in the harbor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2022 6:51 PM

Hopefully Pamela Sue Martin wore her tearaway dress with hot pants underneath to make climbing up that Christmas tree easier!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2022 6:58 PM

Local press say, "There have been swirling conspiracy theories that human error was involved in the case" and that the HK Government gave permission for a Cambodian destination.

Also some question whether tugs could have actually moved Jumbo to the Paracels so quickly.

Finally, a local insurance expert says, "I can’t imagine any insurer covering all risks or its eventual total loss unless the owner pays a massive premium. . . The owner did not want it to remain in Hong Kong because of the high costs of renewing a licence and insurance policy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2022 7:05 PM

When this happens in NYC, they call it “Jewish lightning”.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2022 7:19 PM

It's the new Krusty Krab.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2022 7:29 PM

So I guess its a Chinese junk?

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2022 8:16 PM

I thought it's called "Greek Lightning," r20. Well, at least in the Midwest and Boston.

Should this be a "Sino Sinking?"

R19 -. Unless authorities are properly paid off, isn't fraud on this level a capital offense in Chinese held areas?

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2022 8:21 PM

🎵🎶🎹🎷🎺🎸

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 7:39 AM

Has anyone here actually eaten a meal there? I'd like to hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2022 7:49 AM

After the ship sunk, did Maureen McGovern sing The Morning After?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2022 4:36 PM

It really is disgusting to think of the attending nonchalance in creating this environmental catastrophe. "Restaurant no good, we sink it, no big deal".

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 5:12 PM

Let’s get Noble House on the case!

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 6:25 PM

This call for a Slow Boat to China medley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 6:27 PM

Oh this isn't an insurance scam at all. Not at all!

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 6:31 PM

R28 It was burned not sunk in Noble House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 8:42 PM

It burned IRL before its scheduled opening. Thirty-four died. Sparks from a welder's torch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote]It really is disgusting to think of the attending nonchalance in creating this environmental catastrophe. "Restaurant no good, we sink it, no big deal".

It really is disgusting to think of your nonchalant racism.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 10:28 PM

I’m rather impressed by r31 ‘s recall.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 10:31 PM

Imagine the toxins being released

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 10:41 PM

R34 The book is a bit of a slog to be honest, but the mini-series is memorable. (The apartment building collapse, like the fire, was also based on a real-life event.)

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2022 10:46 PM

r33, try harder.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2022 12:36 AM

I wonder if the tugboat crews got any footage (they had to) and if so whether it will see the light of day. Another question is whether there truly were adverse conditions. With the state of weather prediction, they could easily avoid storms. It would probably get the insurer off the hook if there's footage of Jumbo going down in calm seas.

I'm totally in awe of the audacity.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2022 1:09 AM

All those poor rats...

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2022 1:21 AM

Sherrrrry Winters!

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 4:37 AM

Da condition shuuuuuu ah advers-ah!

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 4:48 AM

The company now says Jumbo didn't sink. It only capsized.

"The spokeswoman said the vessel had not 'sunk', having 'capsized' all along. 'It is inaccurate to say that the vessel has sunk,' she said. However, when asked why the vessel could not be described as having sunk as the company had stated that salvage works would be 'extremely difficult' because the water depth at the scene was 1,000 metres, she could not provide an answer. Asked whether it was natural and logical to take the ship as being 1,000 metres below the sea based on the information provided by the company, the spokeswoman said she had nothing to add. She also could not give the vessel’s exact location or whether it was above water or deep under the sea. Her clarification came four days after the company on Monday revealed the incident."

And the tow boat operator has stated it was “an accident without any foul play involved”.

(Jumbo was owned by a legendary, colorful family, so intrigue about its demise is no surprise.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2022 1:05 PM

Towing a massively top heavy barge into rough seas, who would’ve thought?

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2022 10:14 AM

It was tacky ersatz "historical" atrocity and likely public health menace. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2022 10:27 AM

I wouldn't cry if Cinderalla's castle (1971) was destroyed, either. It's just a garbage tourist site.

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2022 10:29 AM

Jumbo's owner says insurance didn't cover its loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 28, 2022 3:08 AM

I knew I remembered it from somewhere! Sadly, it isn't featured in this trailer. Nonetheless...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 28, 2022 3:21 AM

oh no! my shrimp dumplings!

by Anonymousreply 48June 28, 2022 3:29 AM

Too bad. So sad. Now it’s NONE from column A and NONE from column B.

by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2022 3:55 AM

R47 No, Jumbo's not in the movie; didn't exist then.

by Anonymousreply 50June 28, 2022 4:26 AM

R49 hmmm..... what is that a reference to?

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2022 4:46 AM

R51 American Chinese restaurants -- supposedly -- once had menus that offered a fixed-price meal with selections from different columns. Jumbo certainly didn't have that kind of menu.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2022 4:58 AM

R52 oh thank you!

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2022 5:15 AM

My expectations of Chinese people are too much. I didn't expect it to be on the water I expected something levitating in the air.

What an ordinary capsizing of an unprofitable business. I feel let down.

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2022 5:18 AM

[quote] "No, Jumbo's not in the movie; didn't exist then."

I see that now. It was filmed at Tai Pak Floating Restaurant, which had only been open a few years at that point (it opened in 1952). That Tai Pak location (there were two) later became part of Jumbo (also created by the Tai Pak founder), which was later sold to someone else, and THEN became part of "Jumbo Kingdom" (with several others) in the 1970s.

So that's correct, R50. Tai Pak predates "Jumbo Kingdom" by more than twenty years! I didn't even realize it. But I didn't think I'd be learning about the particular history of Hong Kong's most famous floating restaurants when I got up this morning, either. Thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2022 8:38 AM

According to the CNN link at r17, the smaller Tai Pak is still moored at Aberdeen harbor.

Despite not receiving an insurance payout, the owners saveda bundle in decommissioning expenses to take apart and retire the boat. They probably long had removed anything of resale value.

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2022 8:53 AM

Recall what Jennifer Jones said in that film. Jumbo was not owned by "the Chinese" but by a Eurasian family of exquisite heritage as descendants of the Jardines compradores. Recall Noble House.

by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2022 9:11 AM

While the food looks disgusting (what is that? fermented yak bile atop a lung size dollop of peanut butter on a bed of greens in beef bullion?), the place is over the top old fashioned Chinese restaurant excess. I wish I had seen the place. More dragons!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2022 9:33 AM

I lived in HK when I was a kid. A trip to the Jumbo was an experience. You had to take a walla-walla out there and it was like a magic castle. The food was great, with great tanks of fish from which to select. I spoke Cantonese back then, so the waiters were always really nice to this little gweilo kid. Great memories. Also ... there is nothing more pragmatic than the Chinese. That thing was sunk on purpose by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2022 9:45 AM

[quote]Jumbo's owner says insurance didn't cover its loss.

Oh, well then, if THE OWNER says it, then it must be true!

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2022 10:18 PM

R60 Jumbo is controlled by a HK family through Melco, a company with public shareholders. So an outright lie would not be likely.

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2022 10:24 PM

Cutting your losses is not the same as didn't cover it's loss. As in enough money to rebuild it.

by Anonymousreply 62June 29, 2022 2:40 AM

Did they do a nice jumbo shrimp platter?

by Anonymousreply 63June 29, 2022 5:46 AM

R59 - I had to look up KGV and Hong Kong. You must have had the most fascinating and mesmerizing experiences there as a child. Worthy of its own thread, I'd think...

by Anonymousreply 64June 29, 2022 8:00 AM

You figured it out! We lived there for almost five years and I attended King George V school. It was a great place to be at that age and in that time.

by Anonymousreply 65June 29, 2022 8:39 AM

Do you no longer speak Chinese?

by Anonymousreply 66June 29, 2022 8:41 AM

I can still summon up some limited phrases and numbers, my old address and some poems, but it was lost when we moved back to the US. I spoke Cantonese because I bargained for my parents at the markets and they only spoke Mandarin. Zero opportunity to use it where we moved to from HK -- the southern US. And, yes, that culture shock was profound. Thanks for asking. It was a time of my life that was magical. My mother and I went back there about 10 years ago and the change was painful. Now, I'm watching the Communist party crush what made HK special.

by Anonymousreply 67June 29, 2022 11:54 PM

Today, June 30, is the 25th anniversary of the handover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2022 2:00 AM

Wouldn't it have been wild if it capsized on Chinese New Year's Eve?

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2022 4:45 AM

Nobody does garish like the Chinese. I can just imagine what the decor looked like inside. But i bet the food was good.

by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2022 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!