Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pope Francis Stepping Down

Aren’t they supposed to serve until they die?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2022 12:59 PM

I hear he's transitioning, not retiring. Will become the first woman to hold the position of Pope. La madre.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 7:07 AM

He needs to go because all of the boys he abused are starting to come out of the wood works.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 7:15 AM

Imagine! Three popes alive at one time!

It’ll be just like the Middle Ages!

Can they start accusing each other of being anti-popes?

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 7:23 AM

He is a dirty old pedo and a supporter of Putin.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 7:27 AM

R2 , R4. Link please?

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 7:29 AM

Fuck him and his Russian apologism. He will burn in Hell.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 7:33 AM

R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 7:58 AM

r1 Bitch, please.....

- Pope Joan

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 8:01 AM

Stop posting these stupid threads where the headline says something is going to happen definitely and the link says it's just rumored. Until this is verified, this is fake news.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2022 8:04 AM

Russia really has turned Western liberals deranged, hasn't it?

Anyway it's better than he retires at some point, so as to normalise the practice of Popes stepping down before dying in office, and confirming the modern precedent set by Benedict XVI.

The problem is that he's only just managed to hold the crazy reactionary ultramontane tradition in check and they're going to want to install one of their own and roll back any progress the church has made since Vatican II. Not convinced he has packed the Consistory of Cardinals sufficiently yet.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2022 8:06 AM

[quote] Will become the first woman to hold the position of Pope.

Not quite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2022 8:07 AM

R8 and R11, pure myth.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2022 8:17 AM

Hardly surprising if the Roman Catholic Church is rewriting the rules. They've been doing it for centuries. And according to Christ, they're supposed to sell the art and give the money to the poor. They've never managed that, have they?

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2022 8:40 AM

Love this pope for so many reasons so my wish is that he's with us many more years.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2022 9:01 AM

When it's time it's time. He was an above average Pope and we thank him for his service.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2022 9:07 AM

When it's time it's time. He was an above average Pope and we thank him for his service.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2022 9:07 AM

Fact that Rome is vigorously denying any possibility of Pope Francis retiring means something might be up.

Quite honestly the man wasn't exactly a picture of health when Francis was elected pope. That he's lived this long is going against odds given at the time.

Like UK and some other monarchies this is becoming a growing issue; better healthcare, sanitation and rest means people are living longer. Coupled with those whose genetic material predisposes them to a long life (Queen Elizabeth comes from some pretty long lived Hanoverians including Queen Victoria), and you have makings of a monarch who may live well into their dotage.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2022 9:44 AM

Have the ungrateful hand spanker booted from the Vatican!

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2022 9:57 AM

[quote]Russia really has turned Western liberals deranged, hasn't it?

So we should just watch and marvel at their interesting behavior? Fuck you’re tedious.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2022 9:59 AM

[quote]And according to Christ, they're supposed to sell the art and give the money to the poor.

Hey, they just want the art to increase in value.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2022 10:09 AM

The Pope is right about the war.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2022 10:15 AM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2022 10:19 AM

[quote][R8] and [R11], pure myth.

So it fits right in with christianity.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2022 10:24 AM

[quote]Love this pope for so many reasons so my wish is that he's with us many more years.

[quote]When it's time it's time. He was an above average Pope and we thank him for his service.

Seek professional help.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2022 10:28 AM

He's almost the exact same age Benedict was when he retired. I do think he was waiting for Benedict to kick the bucket to retire from the Papacy, but seeing that Benedict at age 95 refuses to die, he will have to either hold on a little bit longer or retire and have for the first time in history (not counting when there were anti-popes) three living popes (two retired).

Also, taking into account that cardinals older than 80 are barred from voting in a conclave, he has packed the college just enough to prevent the ultra-conservative faction from electing his succesor.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2022 10:36 AM

Hateful man.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2022 10:37 AM

Well Pope Bennie had the right idea, IMHO. Retire while you've still got your marbles with a handsome 'amanuensis' and all your red Prada pumps. It was miserable watching JP-2P drooling and bobbing he head and mumbling incoherently at the end of his reign.

I'm available if they're looking for someone a bit younger and fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2022 11:13 AM

Laughing at myself.

" 3 Popes alive at the same time " had me going, "What?", Who?", "How can there be 3 alive at the same time?" completely forgetting that, at death or resignation, all the Cardinals will travel to the Vatican for the Bunk-in and elect another Pope.

I've read it remarked by those who would know that the US Pentagon and the Vatican, when it comes to climbing, are tied when it comes to back-stabbing, double-dealing, deal-making, promises and pure politics.

That they make the politics in public elected office compared to those two, seem like student council elections.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2022 11:31 AM

I hope the Snatch Game will be a part of the next selection competition.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2022 11:41 AM

[quote] [R8] and [R11], pure myth.

Yeth?

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2022 11:58 AM

R29 wins the thread

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2022 3:20 PM

Not everybody needs to work until they die.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2022 3:38 PM

I can't honestly say I've paid much attention, but given the political battles he's fought the last couple of years, I could see him retiring once he has a successor in place to carry on his legacy and with the essential support to make that happen.

Honestly, he should start telling these American bishops pushing their own agenda that he's going to excommunicate them.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2022 3:52 PM

Saying Russia was provoked is like saying a rape victim dressed provocatively. One country invaded another: no means no. The Russia stuff was by far the worst moment of his papacy.

But he's been a good Pope by and large. He's been, as expected, the Franciscan Pope. If he goes I'd hope we'd get another Franciscan, but the way the world is going we'll likely get a Christo-fascist Opus Dei...

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2022 4:00 PM

The pope should sell the Vaticn and give the money to the poor. Also F--- the pope

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2022 4:17 PM

oops Vatican^^^^

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2022 4:19 PM

I know tried to bring in as many moderate Bishops as Cardinals as he could. Is there enough there for the next election of Pope to pick a moderate?

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2022 4:32 PM

He’s consecrating a ton of new cardinals in August. The bloc of voting-age conservatives at the next conclave will be a minority.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] But he's been a good Pope by and large. He's been, as expected, the Franciscan Pope. If he goes I'd hope we'd get another Franciscan, but the way the world is going we'll likely get a Christo-fascist Opus Dei...

He's a Jesuit.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote]He’s consecrating a ton of new cardinals in August.

The fact that the catholic church measures its clergy by the ton is perhaps the most refreshing thing I have ever heard about the sect.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2022 4:42 PM

The squabbling at the Vatican reminds me of the backstage drama of an out of town musical in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2022 4:46 PM

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2022 4:50 PM

r40, would you prefer "He's consecrating buttloads of new cardinals in August"?

I would.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2022 4:52 PM

I'd have to see the new cardinals prior to committing to any "buttloads".

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2022 4:54 PM

r10 Exactly.

At least, that's what I hear in my circles. He's been far too progressive.

and what the "Church" is afraid of is losing their resources, especially as China makes it's move on African nations' resources, and of course, the return to political extremism, both influenced by hard right in the west and influences of the islamic world that also see it as an area of influence for those fighting against the reconciliation/globalization of the middle east and broader west asia.. which, for the church, Africa remains one of the primary regions they're concerned with for economic loss, which would largely be by such progressive ideals.

as the entire continent is going through a reformation period -- a larger portion of nations heading to a more mainstream progressism but comparatively, some obvious differences, militias and greater corrupted govts aside, the people are at the cusp of the 1950s America and the transition into the 60s brand of politics... than ready for the world post 60s.

In the west, they have no real pull with progressives while conservatives are pulling away -- not just the U.S because U.S. Catholics have always been somewhat anatagonistic and separatist, in regard to the politics, to the church. But in other nations where they have stronger pull and are also taking a position towards the hard right once again.

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2022 4:55 PM

R39 Sorry, of course. (Although he fell out with the Jesuit power structure). But his taking the name Francis and his messaging to "secular Franciscans" and his adopting St Francis' values... is not aligned with the other Popes of this century, most notably Benedict XVI.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2022 5:03 PM

The next Pope will have to be a Black Transwoman, or else.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2022 5:13 PM

R47 You are trying to make your anti-woke disease about everything, eh? The Christo-Fascist Roman Catholics who control the US Supreme Court want, eventually, to make YOU a criminal and put you in jail. That's the trend in Catholic circles. Fun, huh?

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2022 5:15 PM

Fuck the Pope. Any Pope - past, present or future.

Fuck the Catholic Church.

Fuck organized religion.

🖕

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2022 6:44 PM

His sister, Connie, had a lot of hit songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2022 6:53 PM

He's fine and sends his thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2022 7:26 PM

Fun Fact: according to the prophecies of St Malachy of Armagh, the present Pope (named 'Petrus Romanus' in the prophecies) will be the last ever before the end of the world. So he perhaps knows something that we don't.

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2022 10:46 PM

I got $5 sez the world isn't ending anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2022 10:48 PM

It is a shame he simply wouldn't make a final exit.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2022 5:11 AM

I don't think he should retire. They made a mistake allowing Benedict to do so.

Monarchs and popes are the only positions I would say you must serve for life.

Yes, they're old and probably senile once they hit their 90s, but we aren't talking about a typical job here. There's a sanctity and a tradition to the position that should be respected and an entire institution that exists to guide them.

If he's really losing his marbles he should be delegating more.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2022 5:20 AM

R55

Pope Benedict XVI was 85 when he announced his retirement. He still is living at 95, and would freely admit is in no fit condition to hold office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2022 9:54 AM

[quote]Monarchs and popes are the only positions I would say you must serve for life.

I think in situations where the role is that of an impartial figurehead, yes that's true. But some recent missteps aside, Pope Francis was active in denouncing Russia, urging support for the poor during COVID, urging people to get vaccinated and generally being a force for good. Given the politics of the Catholic Church, that's not a job for a guy spending all of his time shuffling back & forth between the toilet and his chair. Francis, for whatever you think of the CC, has been a force for good & I think most people would prefer to see him pass the torch to a successor rather than become a puppet of more powerful & odious forces because he's too weak to fight back.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2022 11:20 AM

I'm available! Just lost my job.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2022 11:27 AM

These recent popes haven't got much staying power, have they?

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2022 11:40 AM

Francis is a wonderful pope and I hope he hangs on until he tilts the college to reflect his views. Americans hate the papacy because they don't get a say in it and can't manipulate it to their convenience.

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2022 11:41 AM

He wants to spend more time with his... travelling companion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2022 11:43 AM

[quote]Americans hate the papacy because they don't get a say in it and can't manipulate it to their convenience.

They hate the papacy because they talk about the stuff that Catholics hate like loving your neighbor & feeding the poor rather than the red meat stuff like hating gays & blathering on about abortion

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2022 12:12 PM

More people should follow his example and retire already

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2022 12:22 PM

If only RBG had retired when Obama suggested it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2022 12:41 PM

[quote]They hate the papacy because they talk about the stuff that Catholics hate like loving your neighbor & feeding the poor rather than the red meat stuff like hating gays & blathering on about abortion

So why are Billy Graham and many, many televangelists so influential in the American cultural space? They hate the pope too. Anti-Catholicism is instinctive in Americans, yet they can't bring themselves to ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2022 12:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!