Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Least Deserving Best Actress Academy Award Winner

I'll start from 2000

Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich

Halle Berry - Monster's Ball

Nicole Kidman - The Hours

Charlize Theron - Monster

Hillary Swank - Million Dollar Baby

Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

Helen Mirren - The Queen

Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose

Kate Winslet ("Give La Lucci the damn Emmy!) - The Reader

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

Natalie Portman - Black Swan

Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Cate Blanchett (watch your step!) - Blue Jasmine

Julianne Moore - Still Alice

Brie Larson - Room

Emma Stone - La La Land

Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Olivia Colman - The Favourite

Renee Zellwegger - Judy

Frances McDormand - Nomadland

Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye

by Anonymousreply 146June 29, 2022 4:50 PM

Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Julia Roberts by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2022 9:46 PM

How many fucking times are you gonna make the same thread? Again, this is becoming embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2022 9:47 PM

It's a tie between Julia and Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2022 9:50 PM

Since 2000? Probably Bullock, even though I love her. But I like some wins that get a lot of heat here, like Lawrence and Larson.

Ever? Probably Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2022 9:50 PM

Halle Berry followed by Jennifer Lawrence. The former won for a diversity quota and the latter won for sleeping with Weinstein and his cronies.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2022 9:53 PM

R5 Grace Kelly was far less deserving than Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 9:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 9:54 PM

Julia Roberts was outstanding as Erin Brockovich not that any of you bitches would empathize with a single mother. When she was told she was taking things "too personal" and shrieked "you're damn right I am" I believed it totally.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 9:55 PM

And now he’s replying to himself. This is so so sad. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 9:56 PM

Goldie Hawn - Cactus Flower

Helen Hayes - Airport

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 9:58 PM

Jennifer Lawrence was great in Silver Linings Playbook. She didn’t sleep with Weinstein. He was dropping her name to get into an unknown’s pants.

Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 9:58 PM

How many of these had Weistein behind them?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2022 9:58 PM

I agree that Streep didn’t deserve the Oscar for Iron Lady but she should have won for The Devil Wears Prada over Helen Mirren for The Queen. Mirren was great, but Streep’s performance was iconic. That movie still plays over and over again on cable, while The Queen is all but forgotten by now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 9:58 PM

Grace Kelly for The Country Girl

Elizabeth Taylor for Butterfield 8

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 10:00 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 10:00 PM

I totally agree with r5. I thought Lawrence and Larson were well deserved. I’ll always think the best in Thai period was Swank. Cate Blanchett is peerless, but I would rather have seen Bullock win for Gravity that year than the Blind Side previously.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 10:03 PM

Ah yes, the Thai period. What a glorious time for movies that was!

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 10:04 PM

What really shocks me is how few of the movies I’ve seen. I guess I’m just not interested in movies that yield best actress Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2022 10:05 PM

Lady Gaga will be in the list of winners for this decade.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2022 10:06 PM

[quote]What the fuck did Emma Stone ever do in her career to earn her trophy for an aggressively forgettable, nothing performance?

I really like Emma and thinks she’d be a deserving winner at some point, but I’m still pissed Amy Adams wasn’t even nominated and didn’t win for Arrival.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2022 10:07 PM

Ms. Blanchett, of course. She was phenomenal.

Julia Roberts also deserved her AA. As did Cotillard and Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2022 10:07 PM

Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2022 10:09 PM

Sandra and Reese both stand out for me as having given performances that didn’t really require them to do a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2022 10:09 PM

*My response is for recent DESERVING Best Actress Academy Award Winner.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2022 10:10 PM

Felicity Huffman deserved the Oscar over Reese that year. Or even Rachel Weisz if she hadn't committed category fraud to win her Oscar in the supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2022 10:11 PM

what a lame ass thread to start

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2022 10:12 PM

Emma stone

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2022 10:20 PM

If Gaga gets cast in joker she will win her Oscar

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2022 10:22 PM

Hillary Swank is a good actress but frankly, if any schlub was asked to play a trans or a female boxer they could have done a decent job of it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2022 10:27 PM

Emma Stone was the only bright spot in that Lala bullshit.

The movie was garbage but she was fabulous. Why does Gosling still have a career?

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2022 10:34 PM

OP, who do you think should have won the Oscars in each of those years?

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2022 10:35 PM

R31 Because he's a Ken doll.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2022 10:35 PM

Helen Mirren. Judi Dench definitely deserved Best Actress for Notes on a Scandal.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2022 10:37 PM

R31 true, but worth an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2022 10:59 PM

R21, I haven’t thought of Arrival in years, it definitely seems forgotten. I’ll have to find it and rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2022 11:12 PM

Berry, Streep, Bullock

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2022 11:22 PM

Nicole Kidman. She was barely in the movie, it was a supporting role, not lead.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote]I haven’t thought of Arrival in years, it definitely seems forgotten.

There’s a reason for that.

#overrated

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2022 1:26 AM

Olivia Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2022 3:10 AM

Streep basically gave a drag performance in The Iron Lady. Unwatchable movie.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2022 3:17 AM

Portman was fucking dreadful in Black Swan.

Bullock was great - for a Lifetime movie.

Roberts won for making a lot of money for Hollywood. The performance itself was a big nothingburger.

Stone has an Oscar? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2022 3:34 AM

This thread is repeated all the damn time. Can we just agree that Meryl Streep is THE most overrated and rewarded actress in film history? She's given three very good performances in 45 years. The rest of her work is worthy of either tiny claps, huge eyerolls or guffaws.

So don't pick on Julia or Halle or Emma Stone. They deserve their Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2022 3:36 AM

all the ones M got

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2022 3:38 AM

I've never bought into the belief that just because someone has been in the industry a long time, they deserve to be rewarded. Julia Roberts is the prime example of this, but frankly it's usually the male counterparts who have been given this leeway more often. Brad Pitt, Leonardo diCaprio, and now most infamously Will Smith all won not based on talent but on name alone.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2022 3:38 AM

Julia won for best performance by a push-up bra. She was not more than adequate in the role.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2022 3:43 AM

I don't begrudge Julia that Oscar...it's her "Mildred Pierce" role. Big, showy and award bait. She's hammy as hell but at least the performance has energy.

TBH, I haven't seen most of these. I gave up on "prestige" movie watching 15 years ago.

I haven't seen Monster's Ball (just clips) but I find it hard to believe that Halle Berry was really that brilliant since she's been awful in everything else I've ever seen her in.

Mirren was ok in The Queen...I like Mirren, a lot, but that movie is a bit of a snooze.

I also liked Colman in The Favourite but...it's not really a lead. I'd argue that Rachel Weisz's character was the actual main role.

Theron was great in Monster but I really hate it when pretty actors ugly up in order to win awards.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2022 3:50 AM

As Angela Bassett said, Halle's performance in Monster's Ball was just her flashing her tits.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2022 3:51 AM

[quote]I've never bought into the belief that just because someone has been in the industry a long time, they deserve to be rewarded. Julia Roberts is the prime example of this....

Julia Roberts was 33 years old when she won the Academy Award. It was not some pity lifetime achievement prize. She also won the Golden Globe, BAFTA Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award for the same performance.

Julianne Moore 'won' a you've been nominated a lot pity Oscar for "We all Forgot Alice." Arguably her worst film and her most paint by numbers performance. Yikes bad.

Emma Stone was wonderful in LALA LAND!!!

Charlize was great in Monster, but she was a total asshole in all her acceptance speeches. Theron knows what it's like being a murderer all too well - so she never once mentioned Aileen Wuornos.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2022 3:53 AM

[quote] Theron knows what it's like being a murderer all too well

What is this a reference to? Her South African heritage?

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2022 3:56 AM

Do you just hate women OP you’ve named almost female every Oscar winner as least deserving.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2022 3:59 AM

I don't think OP's post was about saying all those actresses were undeserving. OP was listing out all the actresses from the last two decades for us to discuss (any performance from the 2000s onwards).

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2022 4:02 AM

No R50. Theron is Lana Turner's daughter. She killed her own abusive father and her mother took the fall.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2022 4:07 AM

Stone was better in "Birdman" in a supporting role; I preferred that to her in "La La Land". Olivia Colman's role was really supporting. The two ladies trying to win her favour had bigger roles and more screen time.

Helen Hunt won? Almost like Will Smith won?

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2022 4:13 AM

Helen Hunt won because she was the only American actress nominated in a year where the other four nominees were all British.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2022 4:15 AM

R52. It’s anyone’s guess since he was not all that clear.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2022 4:19 AM

Julia's Oscar should have Ellen Burstyn's name on it. She won many other best actress awards for Requiem for a Dream. I recall walking out of the theater after watching it and my friends and I were all stunned by her performance.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2022 4:22 AM

Portman did everything that was required of her for Black Swan but her performance winning Best Actress and that film winning Best Picture was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2022 4:52 AM

R58 Black Swan didn't win Best Picture. It was just nominated.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2022 4:54 AM

R58, Black Swan didn't win Best Picture. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2022 4:54 AM

Black Swan would’ve been a better winner than what did win that year, though.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2022 5:16 AM

Black Swan was a steaming pile of dog shit. OMFG I hated that movie so much!

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2022 5:25 AM

It was a very physical performance and I can admire it but Jennifer Lawrence was miles more truthful and better in Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2022 5:29 AM

R19, Ellen Burstyn has always been the alternative people choose as the actress who should have beaten Julia, but I I have a suspicion that people might not be as enthusiastic about Requiem for a Dream as much as they were when it was released. It is by Aronofsky, the same guy who did Black Swan and mother!, and it’s not like it doesn’t share those movies’ excesses. The game show stuff, the “ass to ass” scene, everything with Jared Leto.

It’s one of those movies I haven’t really revisited, partially because it’s such a tough movie to watch, partially because I suspect it might not hold up. What was shocking and harrowing in 2000 might seem campy and laughable two decades later.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2022 5:57 AM

Sorry, I meant R57. I have no idea how I ended up with R19, so let’s blame it on hallucinations brought on by diet pills.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2022 6:02 AM

Burstyn was genuinely amazing in a movie I suspect R64 may be right about. I haven't seen it in 2-3 years. But no one no how was ever gonna beat Julia that year. Hollywood wanted to honor her and that movie seemed hand picked to do it.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2022 6:03 AM

Emma Stone basically won an Oscar for playing herself. Isabelle Huppert should have won that year

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2022 6:05 AM

Rene's Madame Tussauds type replication of Judy Garland in the downer movie 'JUDY'.. And the vocal replication was all thanks to auto-tune.

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2022 6:11 AM

I thought the same as R51, then I realised it was what R52 said, then I said to myself, "THIS should have been a fucking POLL, only to realise OP is a troll.

There is no objective measure of talent, OP, so this thread is useless. They all deserved to win.

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2022 6:14 AM

R64, your comment is ridiculous. Try actually watching the movie again, rather than spouting nonsense. Burstyn's performance holds up, so do those of Connelly and Leto. Burstyn can do little wrong on screen.

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2022 6:25 AM

Jennifer Connelly was devastating. Her Oscar is in part for this performance.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2022 6:27 AM

Zellweger did no replication of Garland's voice, R68. She did her own kind of thing even if it was without much interest. But she worked hard to increase her resonance and stamina and to realize vowel sounds that would better approximate Garland's phrasing. Renee does not sound like Judy Garland - but she sang BETTER than her at that time in Garland's life. RZ has sung in films before and she is competent. For years she was signed to play Janis Joplin. Autotune is a very recognizable feature and it was used not at all in JUDY. Renee sang live. Zellweger sang all of Roxie Hart in Chicago as well. Listen to Uzo Aduba sing. She is amazing. Or Kate Winslet. Many actresses can really sing. (NOT meryl)

Michael Buble now uses pro tools and autotune on all his recordings as does Ariana Grande. Neither need it. They are both beautifully adept vocalists. But you can't sell a popular recording without it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2022 6:31 AM

Renee Zellweger is honestly one of those actors you wouldn't know can actually also sing and dance. Amy Adams too. She has a very strong voice.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2022 6:34 AM

R69 There have been polls in the past for each decade of Best Actress winners, which works out perfectly since you can only fit 10 choices in each poll. I don't think there was ever one for Best Actress of the 2010s though.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2022 6:39 AM

Nicole Kidman's replication of Lucille Ball's voice in Being the Ricardo's was done with 'help' as well. Or to put it another way you won't be hearing her doing that imitation on talk shows. Nor will Rene' being appearing in supper clubs singing like Garland.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2022 6:42 AM

I was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2022 6:53 AM

Lawrence stole your Oscar for a performance she gave a year before. She did nothing but suck off the Weinstein Co in SLP.

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2022 6:56 AM

With a small number of exceptions (Blanchett, Moore, Roberts, Swank, Colman, Stone, McDormand - in the shitting in the bucket film & Mirren) this is very sorry list of winners.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2022 6:57 AM

Halle Berry She wasn't just un-great. She is awful in all her movies. ALL. Remember her trying to cry for her role in Monster's Ball? It was like watching a little kid work up fake tears to get out of trouble. Awful. Getting naked and playing a bitch took some guts, yes. I have to give her that. She was brave to take that bad mom role and all the graphic full nudity with a male actor.

That's the thing. I was forgetting again, but I realized it a few years ago. Sometimes, the Oscar goes to the brave ones, not the best performance.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2022 7:02 AM

Roberts deserved her Oscar. Maybe not at the expense of Burstyn. But Hollywood had to honor her. She actually should've won AOC. Or Closer in supporting.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2022 7:02 AM

Pretty Woman opened one week too late for Julia to have won for Steel Magnolias. She was the co favorite after the Golden Globe win.

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2022 7:05 AM

Reese Witherspoon- I didn't feel anything for her, she didn't seem real.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2022 7:07 AM

Mirren's performance was good for a TV movie which is what "The Queen" was originally produced as, but it's what any of a dozen British actresses would have done with the role.

Dench or Streep would have been far more deserving winners that year. Mirren is a good actress but the Academy has always had a hard on for anyone with a posh British accent and not to mention Lillibet herself. Mirren could have stunk up the joint in the role and they would still have raved about her and given her every award.

At least she wasn't as awful as Streep playing Bitch Cunt Thatcher....

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2022 7:09 AM

Is it the same person saying Emma Stone deserved an Oscar? WTF she was one of the worst winners.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2022 7:13 AM

Emma is easily the worst of that list. That movie is terrible and does not hold up.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2022 7:16 AM

Whoopi Goldberg should've won for The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2022 7:20 AM

Sandra Bullock was the least deserving of anyone on that list. I bet Sandy herself would say so. Yes, she kind of deserved it for Gravity in any other year, but for me personally, Cate Blanchett gave the Best Actress performance of the decade in Jasmine.

Least Deserving of all time? It might be Luise Rainer for The Great Ziegfeld, second only to Luise Rainer in the Good Earth. Her performances in both were neither great nor good.

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2022 7:25 AM

Jennifer Lawrence, bad casting she was too young for the part.

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2022 7:57 AM

R88 Harvey & David O. Russell beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2022 8:01 AM

[Quote]Reese Witherspoon- I didn't feel anything for her, she didn't seem real.

Is Jake posting here now?

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2022 8:18 AM

Only a yank would ever criticise Marion Cotillard or La Vie en Rose. B....b...b......but it has subtitles and no one over here has ever heard of Edith Piaf. She's no Lucy Ball that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2022 8:19 AM

White girl/faux Negro Halle Berry owns this thread. THE END

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2022 8:46 AM

r44 M only got 2

by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2022 9:16 AM

[quote]Cate Blanchett gave the Best Actress performance of the decade in Jasmine.

LOL, she was making faces, which is not acting.

by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2022 10:33 AM

Sally Field's "You like me" is usually held up as the paragon of Oscar acceptance speech cringe, but it has absolutely nothing on Helen Mirren holding up her Oscar while proclaiming, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Queen!"

by Anonymousreply 95June 19, 2022 1:51 PM

Least deserving of all time is Louise Rainer, both times.

Grace Kelly was a fluke, I believe, but her performance is not bad. She's quite good, just not as good as any of the other nominees that year.

Glenda Jackson is a fine actress, but her second Oscar for "Touch of Class" is insane. It's the dullest movie in the world, and her performance is fine, but nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 96June 19, 2022 2:01 PM

Grace Kelly only won because she was considered so "brave" for dressing down and not playing a glamorous role...which doesn't mean much since she only made about 12 movies.

On top of that, the Academy has always loved rewarding young ingenues like they did with Judy Holliday a few years before. If you look at the Best Actress race, there have been plenty of actresses in their early 20s who have won but it's much harder to win the older you get (looking at you Glenn). That's a marked contrast from the Best Actor race where the youngest recipient is 29 and it's more common to be able to win an Oscar even as you age.

Just like with Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson, the Academy was loathe to award Judy for all her antics over the years and basic lack of goodwill. Grace was the new young thing and they wanted to promote her career the way they did with Judy Holliday. She won because of studio politics alone, not because of any real talent or bravery.

by Anonymousreply 97June 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Luise Rainer had the support of Thalberg as long as he was alive. It's no coincidence that with his death, Luise left MGM. Her phone call scene is generally considered to be what won her the Oscar for The Great Ziegfeld despite the fact that in about a 3 hour movie, she doesn't have much screentime and is more of a supporting character.

I haven't seen The Good Earth, and the movie isn't well known compared to Stella Dallas or Camille, but I've heard people who've actually watched it that Luise is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 98June 19, 2022 8:04 PM

Reese Witherspoon. THERE WAS NOTHING THERE.... Lost on that one. My next pick would sadly be Emma Stone... Hated that film and she was overrated as well..

I despise Berry, Roberts, Lawrence as people... but I cannot say their awards were underserved (even if Burstyn should have won)

Reese wins for a bullshit performance and for just being such a fake bitch. Do you know who I am? Well your about to!

And the worst film of all the nominees was by far , Still Alice. That movie was atrocious.

But Reese by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 99June 19, 2022 8:10 PM

gwyneth paltrow

by Anonymousreply 100June 19, 2022 8:25 PM

R99, does anyone even remember Walk the Line? Such a forgettable movie. Johnny Cash deserve a better movie.

by Anonymousreply 101June 19, 2022 8:32 PM

Joaquin was worse than Reese. She was unmemorable but he was just terrible. He really miscalculated his performance.

by Anonymousreply 102June 19, 2022 8:36 PM

R101- Absolutely. This was Johnny Cash.

I found the film and Reese like a high school play.

I did not hate Joaquin though.

by Anonymousreply 103June 19, 2022 8:56 PM

I really liked Reese in Walk the Line. She sang well, had great chemistry with Phoenix and was the emotional center of the film. Her “this is your chance” monologue deserved a nomination all by itself.

by Anonymousreply 104June 19, 2022 9:05 PM

Besides Bette Davis in "All About Eve" (and to a lesser extent Anne Baxter -- who I think others should see through her charade as well as Thelma Ritter's Birdie does early on), plus Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Blvd" and the rather criminally underrated Eleanor Parker in "Caged", Judy Holliday's performance in "Born Yesterday" is probably the most sustained hilarious Best Actress comedic performance in Academy history. She's touching as well as funny, and while such a high standard of actresses were nominated that year, the naysayers to her getting the award just still point out how doing a great comedic performance is underrated.

by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2022 9:47 PM

I'm not a fan of Reese W, but she was good in Walk the Line, she was actually the best thing of the movie. I agree that Joaquin Phoenix miscalculated his performance, he's usually excellent though, but his Johnny Cash was a misfire.

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2022 11:54 PM

On top of everything else, biopic a feeble genre of film.

by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2022 11:57 PM

Emma Stone was the weakest of the listed performances I've seen, but I can't really say that any of her competitors did a better job that year. I'd have taken any of the main actress' performances in Hidden Figures over the whole Best Actress field if they'd been eligible for the category.

I suspect that Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook was far less deserving, however. She's been awful in every film I've seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2022 1:48 AM

r9 cher-lite

by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2022 1:58 AM

[quote]I haven't seen The Good Earth, and the movie isn't well known compared to Stella Dallas or Camille, but I've heard people who've actually watched it that Luise is amazing.

I have actually watched it, and she is not amazing.

by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2022 8:57 AM

Are you INSANE? This is one of the best female performances that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2022 1:52 PM

R111, I think OP was merely listing all the winners since 2000 as a list from which to choose the least deserving.

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2022 3:28 PM

Jean Smart's version of Monster was first and better than Charlize's.

by Anonymousreply 113June 21, 2022 4:34 AM

Stop trampling Luise Rainer's O-Lan! She looks so different than she did in "The Great Ziegfeld" the year before though. I think she's perfectly fine, but they should have given the "Good Earth" role to Anna May Wong.

by Anonymousreply 114June 21, 2022 4:46 AM

From Best to Worst IMO:

1. Blanchett 2. Colman 3. McDormand (3BB) 4. Theron 5. Roberts

6. Cotillard 7. Moore 8. McDormand (Nomadland) 9. Portman 10. Kidman

11. Chastain 12. Stone 13. Mirren. 14. Zellweger 15. Bullock

16. Berry 17. Witherspoon 18. Winslet 19. Lawrence 20. Larson

21. Streep

22. Swank

by Anonymousreply 115June 21, 2022 5:01 AM

I said this at the time she was nominated. Now years have passed, and I still believe it to be true:

Wasn't Olivia Colman supporting? I saw the movie and I just didn't get it. Emma Stone was the lead. The movie was called The Favourite. Emma Stone WAS the title character, she had the most screen time, and she was also the bigger of the three stars as she had just won her Oscar the year before. I would say Rachel Weisz was co-lead, and Colman supporting.

Am I nuts?

by Anonymousreply 116June 21, 2022 9:01 AM

R116, no, you're not nuts. I think all three were leads, though. But, the studio had to make choices and be strategic. They couldn't all go lead. And because the story was about the characters of Weisz and Stone battling over the affections of Colman and her lording over the two of them, I think the justification there was that Colman was at the centre of it all. Kind of like (but not really) Kidman in The Hours. Kidman had the least screen-time, but the movie revolved around Virginia Woolf (she figures into all three stories), etc (even though all three primary females were leads).

It makes me wonder what a studio would do to Thelma & Louise today. I imagine they would have altered the script some and set the movie to be clearly told through Thelma's eyes, since she was the one with the biggest arc (kind of like Chicago). That way, come campaign-time, they'd know how they'd split the actresses up by categories.

by Anonymousreply 117June 21, 2022 9:30 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 118June 21, 2022 2:30 PM

Kidman wouldn't have won without that fake nose. She shouldn't have won in any case. She's given more better performances.

by Anonymousreply 119June 21, 2022 3:17 PM

R119 She won to make up for losing for Moulin Rouge the year before.

by Anonymousreply 120June 21, 2022 7:45 PM

Kidman was fascinating in The Hours. It's a performance of great subtlety and emotional highs and lows. It's unsurprising that some DLers can't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 121June 22, 2022 1:32 AM

Jennifer Jones in The Song of Bernadette!

I mean, I know it was 1944 and the darkest year of WWII, but still.......

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 122June 22, 2022 1:35 AM

[quote]She won to make up for losing for Moulin Rouge the year before.

LOL! Um, no.

by Anonymousreply 123June 22, 2022 1:39 AM

Halle Berry deserved her Affirmative Action Academy Award for African American Actors, sponsored by Alcoholics Anonymous and AAA.

by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2022 7:03 AM

Somebody had that thought, found it funny, and posted it on DL.

by Anonymousreply 125June 22, 2022 9:02 AM

R124 Berry is a faux Negro. She was the wrong race to get a pity Oscar for the blacks. Viola Davis might be an insufferable cunt but nobody can deny she really is black.

by Anonymousreply 126June 22, 2022 12:24 PM

Couldn’t care less.

by Anonymousreply 127June 22, 2022 12:40 PM

R6 that's your fucking discriminatory perspective. I said what I said. There are far less deserving Oscars than Halle Berry's, so get off her pussy. There may have been a quota, according to you, but it forced people like you to look beyond their initial biases and vote for someone who was not a Bette Davis or Jane Fonda clone

by Anonymousreply 128June 22, 2022 12:46 PM

Julia Roberts fucking stole Ellen Burstyn’s Oscar for Requiem for a Dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 22, 2022 1:17 PM

I think this is the scene that won Theron her Oscar. I saw this in the theater and when she nods as if to say it’s OK, I forgive you, I burst into tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2022 1:23 PM

R9 nobody cares about your frau cunt take on life.

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2022 1:31 PM

R131 Thank god white frau cunts are getting huge hate from everyone right now. Gay men especially loathe these fucking cunts.

by Anonymousreply 132June 22, 2022 4:48 PM

R117 the way Olivia Colman tells it, the studio let the actresses decide the categories everyone would be submitted in. Weisz and Stone decided together to go supporting and give center stage to Colman.

by Anonymousreply 133June 22, 2022 5:04 PM

Julia Roberts - Erin Brockovich

Halle Berry - Monster's Ball

Nicole Kidman - The Hours

Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

Natalie Portman - Black Swan

Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady

Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook

Cate Blanchett (watch your step!) - Blue Jasmine

Julianne Moore - Still Alice

Brie Larson - Room

Emma Stone - La La Land

Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Renee Zellwegger - Judy

Frances McDormand - Nomadland

Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye

by Anonymousreply 134June 22, 2022 5:29 PM

R58, I felt that Mila Kunis outshined Portman in Black Swan. I do like Portman though.

by Anonymousreply 135June 22, 2022 5:42 PM

R74 here is the poll we did of the Best Oscar winners of the 2010s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 22, 2022 5:48 PM

R136 Thank you, I'm glad JLaw was dead last.

by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2022 11:05 PM

R116, I can’t believe you listed Swank as the worst! That was my number 1 choice for this list. I don’t buy that any actress could have done what she did. That scene in the diner over pie? That would have been a maudlin mess in anyone else’s hands.

When I read that she was paying a boxer in a movie called “Million Dollar Baby” my eyes rolled so far back in my head I thought they may never get unstuck. Stupid title, skinny actress playing a pro boxer? No way! But she was simply amazing.

by Anonymousreply 138June 23, 2022 6:07 AM

R138 No she was not, ya muff diving lezzie.

by Anonymousreply 139June 23, 2022 6:09 AM

[quote][R138] No she was not, ya muff diving lezzie.

Hey now! I’m cock worshipping cumslut! Those are my pronouns and I ask that you please respect them!

by Anonymousreply 140June 23, 2022 8:43 PM

Swank was great but she should have been beaten by Bening or Winslet, to even things out.

by Anonymousreply 141June 23, 2022 9:15 PM

Fuck YOU, Leslie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2022 10:24 AM

R141, the Oscars do not exist to "even things out" unless a person of color is involved.

What a silly notion! I could slap you!

by Anonymousreply 144June 27, 2022 1:06 PM

R144 you're a piece of shit. In your eyes a non-white person will only win because the Academy is trying to "even things out", not because of their impressive work. Your fucking racism will prevent you from seeing anything as such. Such a pathetic, hateful old queen you must be.

by Anonymousreply 145June 29, 2022 4:27 PM

Elizabeth Taylor- "Butterfield 8". She won because of a tracheotomy.

by Anonymousreply 146June 29, 2022 4:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!