Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Best Roger Moore Bond Film?

What do you think is the best Roger Moore Bond film?

Comment why?

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2022 4:56 PM

None

Dalton was the best Bond. He just had the crappiest scripts.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2022 7:11 PM

R1 I agree with that

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2022 7:18 PM

Roger Moore was NOT James Bond.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2022 7:25 PM

He was a certain kind of Bond. Smarmy, trying too hard to be suave.

I never thought Moore was much, until watching The Man Who Haunted Himself. Very rare that a manly man plays victim in a psychological horror role well. He did a very adequate job. Too bad he didn't get to do more things that could show what he was capable of.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2022 8:04 PM

Moore is my 2nd favorite after Sean Connery. He parodies the whole dumb circus of the series, which is why I guess everyone hates those movies.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2022 9:08 PM

I was a kid in the 1970s and a teen in the 1980s. Roger Moore was Bond to my generation back then. The movies were usually big events. We all wanted to see the latest Bond flick. I think it usually depends on the generation you're from. Most people I know who grew up in the same era as I did prefer Roger Moore because he was our Bond.

My favorite is The Spy Who Loved Me. Great theme song. Decent Bond villain and plot. Roger Moore had good chemistry with Barbara Bach. Richard Kiel made his first appearance as Jaws, the metal-mouthed assassin. Great locations, too.

A View to a Kill was ok. By 1985, Roger Moore was pushing 60. He knew he was too old. I remember even back in 1981, Carole Bouquet, the young actress who played Bond's love interest, made some statement in the press about how Roger Moore was great to work with and reminded her of her father. Oops. That makes sense though since she is about 30 years younger than Moore.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2022 9:47 PM

OP Moonraker was 1969 not 79. I think Moonraker was his best Bond movie by far. Ambitious opening sequence (skydiving), interesting international locations( venice and brazil), memorable villian (jaws), big showdown at crazy villains lair (space station) and it ends with Bond fucking in an extremely plush escape capsule. It's a REAL Bond movie like Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, Goldeneye and Skyfall. Moore was a good actor who happened to be in a run of very stupid, silly Bond movies. Except for this one.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 10:05 PM

[quote] OP Moonraker was 1969 not 79.

No. It was 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 10:07 PM

According to Alan Partridge, the best is The Spy who Loved Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 10:13 PM

The best is probably The Man with the Golden Gun.

He had Lee to play off of there.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 10:19 PM

I grew up with the Roger Moore films, but when I got older I learned they're not that good when I compared them to the Connery films and the Craig films.

I like most of "Live and Let Die" despite its weird blaxploitation ideas (which were very much in keeping with the time) because there are some really memorable things in it: one of the best theme songs; Jane Seymour appealing as the main girl; Gloria Hendry absolutely excellent as the secondary Bond girl who gets killed (she's very memorable when she gets scared when she knows the villain has her marked for death); gorgeous photography in the sequence in Harlem where Bond is taken into the alley to be shot; Roger Moore still genuinely attractive; one of the most enjoyably simple of all escapes from a death trap (the alligator swamp); and a great scary beginning with the murder at the New Orleans funeral. And the final shot of Baron Samedi (Geoffrey Holder) laughing evilly at the front of the train is really scary. It has a much too-long chase sequence with stupid comic elements in it, though.

The next film ("The Man with the Golden Gun") is stupid with the superlaser device.

The third Moore film, "The Spy Who Loved Me," is terrific although it has nothing to do with the book of the same title. I like the villain with the creepy webbed hands who keeps killing all the underlings who betrayed him in imaginatively horrible ways, and otherwise it's memorably action-packed. But it started a series of annoying tropes that recurred in too many other Bond films:

1) The requisite visits to foreign countries suddenly become only to banal tourist destinations in them, so that if the film goes to Egypt, Bond goes to the Pyramids; if you go to Paris ("From a View to a Kill"), Bond goes to the Eiffel Tower; if the film goes to India ("Octopussy") , Bond goes to the Taj Mahal. I was grateful when the Dalton films broke that pattern.

2) The villain is often out to destroy the entire world--not always (as in "For Your Eyes Only"), but enough so that it gets tedious and unbelievable.

3) Bond is too old by this time to be believably sexy.

4) You become too aware of the Bond girls being useless and always saying "James!" repeatedly (most infamously Tanya Roberts, but most of them do this in the later Moore films).

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 10:26 PM

R7 The first half of Moonraker is really good, it is the second half that falls apart (like most Bond films).

R11 I agree. Moore has three really good films- Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only.

The Man with the Golden Gun is okay. It was the first Bond film I ever saw, so it is special.

Octopussy and A View to a Kill have Louis Jordan, Christopher Walken, and Grace Jones. The films only saving grace.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 10:43 PM

Moonraker and Octopussy were parodies. No way they are in any "best" category except perhaps Most Mockable. And that one with Tanya Roberts was just sad. A waste of good villains.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2022 4:30 AM

I've only watched three of these films, so I really shouldn't vote.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2022 5:02 AM

I don't think Moonraker was any more of a parody than the other Bond movies. The whole premise of an indestructible sex addicted spy is pretty dumb. I just think that it out his terrible Bond movies, Moonraker is the best.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2022 6:11 AM

Moonraker was no worse than “you only live twice”

Both were ridiculously over the top and had the same director

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2022 2:35 PM

Live and Let Die

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2022 2:41 PM

The opening sequence of Octopussy is one of the best of the Bond films, if only because it makes use of a micro jet that actually exists!

One thing that always bothers me about this scene though: why does the colonel order his men to CLOSE the hangar exit doors as the jet enters? Does he think he’s going to somehow trap it that way?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2022 3:22 PM

And here’s a video of a BD-5 micro jet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2022 3:27 PM

Despite the fact that he was dressed as a clown and in clown make up I found the scene in Octopussy where he alerts the crowd to the presence of the nuclear bomb and then defuses it to be very suspenseful

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2022 3:31 PM

The Spy Who Loved Me is one of my all-time favorite Bonds. To me it embodies everything a good Bond movie should have: An outlandish plot, but still somewhat plausible. A serious Bond, but still self-reflective enough to know where it should ridicule its over-the-top premise. Beautiful cinematography. A villain who is skurrile and yet to be taken seriously. A perfect theme and sound track by Marvin Hamlisch.

Other Bonds do certain ingredients better. But this one is one of the best amalgamation of the Bond ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2022 3:42 PM

I love RM's real-life friendship with Lois Maxwell, which made their onscreen banter adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2022 4:47 PM

Moore was a good Bond, but god does he look old by modern standards.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2022 4:51 PM

I also grew up with Moore as Bond, so his films are fond favorites. Here's how I would rank them:

1. For Your Eyes Only (the second best in the entire series, imho, after On Her Majesty's Secret Service)

2. Octopussy

3. The Spy Who Loved Me

4. Moonraker

5. Live and Let Die

6. A View To A Kill

7. The Man With The Golden Gun

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2022 4:56 PM

Moore was the gentleman Bond.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2022 4:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!