Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s discuss Annette Bening

She can be one-note, but she’s had many moments of brilliance. I think her performance in American Beauty is overrated, but I think she should have won the Oscar for Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 2:26 AM

I was absolutely shocked when I watched "The Grifters" and she walked onscreen exposing it all - tits, ass and muff!

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2022 4:04 PM

Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool was a very average movie.

Being Julia was/is her masterpiece. She was absolutely amazing in it. The scene towards the end where she's on stage with Lucy Punch should be studied by all actors.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2022 4:04 PM

She’s amazing in The Grifters.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2022 4:06 PM

I know a lot of people hate it, but I really loved "In Dreams". The visuals in that movie are unforgettable, and she's quite good in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2022 4:06 PM

Good actress. Never thought she was a great beauty but at least she hasn't messed up her face with fillers and plastic surgery. I think she needs a new hairstyle though.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2022 4:12 PM

She tries too hard. Mugs too much. Never been much into her.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2022 4:25 PM

The answer is 20th Century Women, OP. Redo your poll!

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 4:27 PM

I think people were surprised Warren chose her to settle down with

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 4:27 PM

Settled, not settled down R8.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 4:30 PM

I'd rather vote for 20TH CENTURY WOMEN or VALMONT or MRS. HARRIS or even RUNNING WITH SCISSORS.

REGARDING HENRY? Yuck. Even WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM? was better than that (if you want to go Bening/Nichols).

MARS ATTACKS? THE WOMEN? Lord.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 5:04 PM

R7 is correct. 20th Century Women is her best performance.

Also Valmont and though not a great movie Running with Scissors.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 5:05 PM

Sorry, R10 didn’t see your post.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 5:06 PM

Did she play the Rosalind Russell role in The Women? I thought it would have been Debra Messing since they look alike. Never saw it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2022 5:07 PM

Even though just saw a clip of the actual lady who modeled for the Colombia Pictures opener, I’m still convinced it’s really Annette.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 5:15 PM

I like her but I've yet to see her not give a mannered performance, which is fine, it has its place. I actually love her bit part in Postcards from the Edge.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 5:26 PM

Overrated! A total hack!

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 5:29 PM

I would have given her the Oscar either for The Grifters or the film where she plays a lezzie who is chested on by Julianne

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 5:35 PM

There was a commercial for some new movie with Bryan Cranston, and as I watched it I realized that the old woman playing his wife was Annette Bening. Woof and ouch.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 5:49 PM

R18 COVID definitely aged her into solid grandma territory. Films Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool was her last hurrah and probably last chance at the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2022 6:22 PM

I did this poll two years ago and had to take OP off Ignore to see the results. Even though they are two of her best performances, I can accept OP not including Mother and Child and 20th Century Women, as they were the two least vote-getters (far too low) in my poll. I appreciate you including Film Stars. Instead of Regarding Henry and The Women, I would have went with Valmont and Running with Scissors, but like Mother and Child/20th Century Women, I don't think they would have received more votes. I kind of agree with R10 though, even though they don't appreciate Mars Attacks! like some of us (including the 7.6% who voted for it--and 8.7% who voted for it two years ago). She's absolutely spectacular in both. She is kind of meh in Henry and both that and The Women are bad movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 3:29 AM

I saw some of the movie she made with Bryan Cranston where they play the lottery and she looks like she is 70+. I googled her and was shocked to see she is only 64.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2022 10:37 AM

She was beautiful. I loved her in Bugsy, although the movie isn't great. I've never watched American Beauty, my Son keeps trying to get me watch it. I may watch it now. She was beautiful though.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2022 11:42 AM

R22 hi, fellow Frau here!

Your homosexual son?

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2022 11:52 AM

LOVE Annette Bening, always have. I think some of her earliest work -- Valmont, The Grifters, The American President -- remains her best.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2022 2:26 PM

Always automatically assumed I liked her and was perpetually underwhelmed by her performances. Took me a while to realize she's actually not that great. Sometimes, she's good.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2022 2:43 PM

Just watched Jerry and Marge Go Large. Sweet little movie. Not much of a part for Annette but I think it’s great that she’s aging gracefully without any enhancements. So refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 11:23 PM

Yes! [ R7 ] 20th Century Woman is a must see! Love Annette Bening on film and on stage. Even Meryl Streep raved about her in Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 11:37 PM

Thank you R7- Agreed- I love her and that film-

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 11:40 PM

She was decent in "Georgetown."

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 11:40 PM

R8–Maybe Warren picked her as she wouldn’t get an abortion and he actually wanted kids in his old age?

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 11:44 PM

I thought her sex scene in American Beauty was hilarious. At least, I remember it that way.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 11:58 PM

I love Annette in The Face of Love playing opposite two Ed Harris'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 11:59 PM

Running With Scissors is an amazing performance. I grew up with a bipolar parent and she was freakishly accurate, even with all the Ryan Murphy nonsense going on around her. I’d go with that or Mother and Child (this movie devastated me), but the Grifters is up there too.

Mrs Harris should really be a DL classic. I love when they tell her her husband has passed on, and in a benzo haze she responds “passed on? what a ridiculous expression.” The scene where she drags Chloe Sevigny by the pool for not having graduated magna cum laude is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 33December 3, 2022 2:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!