Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jennifer Hudson’s Talk Show Lands Premiere Date, Set To Be Produced By The Team Behind ‘Ellen’

It premieres September 12th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2022 5:57 PM

flop!

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2022 1:32 AM

Interesting. Daytime talk shows were first the realm of journalists and then standup comedians and now American Idol singers with powerhouse vocal talents.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2022 1:33 AM

Don’t know what to think. She’s talented but I’ve never seen any personality.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2022 1:48 AM

EGOT Queen goes for EEGOT with a second Emmy!

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2022 2:16 AM

Does anyone watch talk shows anymore? I would catch Wendy Williams occasionally because she had good gossip. Ellen, as all DLers agree, is just the worst. Can’t think of anyone who I would watch. (Although I enjoyed when Crazy ass Rosie was on the View.)

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2022 2:23 AM

I absolutely hate the way she speaks. It sounds like “Im trying to hard not to sound like a ghetto girl!”

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2022 2:28 AM

I loved The Rosie O’Donnell Show and that’s about it. I work so I don’t catch them but when I would I liked Queen Latifah also. But I hate Drew’s show and Ellen was annoying to me.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 2:29 AM

It will bomb. Hudson is not very....articulate, and can't carry conversation. I've been there.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 2:30 AM

Why? why? Why?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 2:31 AM

Daytime is largely vacant right now, Steve Harvey, Wendy, Ellen, The Doctors, Doctor Oz, all long running programs have shuttered in recent years. So every celeb who even considered it has a shot at this point

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 2:45 AM

I hate Drew Barrymore’s show.

It feels empty.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 2:56 AM

My sister had to deal with her for a collab she was doing with NY & Company years ago (she was an exec manager for them) and said she is one of the biggest bitches she ever dealt with. She was a nightmare to deal with and very nasty, rude and condescending to everyone.

I think eventually the collab fell through.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 2:58 AM

[quote]Set To Be Produced By The Team Behind ‘Ellen’

So, bland & generic?

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2022 3:08 AM

The thing about Jennifer Hudson is that nobody really cares about Jennifer Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 3:17 AM

I feel like she's a little... dumb for this.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 3:20 AM

Why are we getting such random talk show hosts? Singers, actors? Comedians I understand, but couldn’t Kelly be touring and making albums and Jennifer the same, and her and Drew making movies?

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 3:23 AM

r16 see r10

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 3:24 AM

R16 it’s easy money and they get to stay in one location. I remember Anna Farris saying part of why she did “Mom” was because it was a steady job and you stay in one city to work. Movies you have to travel away for months at a time. A show you work a few hours then go back home.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 3:24 AM

R5 does anyone watch commercial television anymore where the majority of these blab fests are seen?

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2022 3:25 AM

Now we really know the EGOT means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2022 3:28 AM

Her EGOT means nothing because to be EGOT as a performer means you need to win all 4 in performer categories.

She won an Oscar for her acting and a Grammy for her singing.

Both her Tony and Emmy are producing awards. Not acting awards. Hence, it doesn’t count as EGOT status like the others.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2022 3:33 AM

She can't be worse than Drew, who is still on the air...

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2022 3:34 AM

R22 it baffles me. Her show is terrible. And why did she relocate to NYC to do it? The space feels small and dark. Her show (and personality) would work better in a sunny bright LA setting.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2022 3:36 AM

Frau Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2022 3:37 AM

I knew someone he had to deal with Jennifer as part of another endorsement a while back. The friend went into it really liking her but said she was a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2022 10:05 AM

I missed a lot of school as a kid and watched a lot of daytime talk shows while I was home—Jenny Jones, Ricki Lake, Rolonda, Sally Jesse Rafael, Montel Williams and on and on.

They were all variations on a theme of mixing up entertainment interviews with serious and light topics. It was a grab bag of entertainment, scandal and useful information, with a focus on human interest.

I haven't watched a daytime talk show all the way through in years, but I feel like the old format was better than what I've seen in more recent years. Daytime talk shows seem more like late-night shows in their formats, with a stale opening monologue in the case of Ellen or the opening song in Kelly Clarkson's case, and then 'hot topics' and then onto the interviews with celebrities to promote their projects/do their obligatory sales pitches with one pre-arranged personal anedote. It's boring to me.

The 90s talk shows that survived all boiled down to the least common denominator, like Maury's paternity tests and Jerry Springer's pro wrestling-style fake fights, but I enjoyed them before that happened.

Oprah's show had the same approach as other daytime shows before she landed on self-help, and I think the format was really entertaining and it's why her show grew and why so many others grew up around it and I don't understand why the approach was killed. It has to come down to celeb interviews being most profitable, I guess.

I liked that Oprah or Jenny Jones or whomever would dedicate the hour one day to a discussion about women who were abducted and escaped, turning the discussion to advice about how to be vigilant and what to do if that kind of thing happens; the next day, makeovers of random women from the street; the next day, debates with the audience about prejudices against AIDS; the next day, an interview with a novelist; the next day, na hour dedicated to a popular singer with four song performances and interview segments in between.

You never knew what you were going to get and so there was always an element of surprise, and if you grew to like a host like Oprah, you might turn the show on and see that it's about a topic you wouldn't ordinarily pay attention to but would watch anyway because she chose it and so you have some faith it would be informative.

That's how I felt, anyway, before Oprah decided to record her own theme song, dedicate most shows to her fabulous self and brand various smug medical, fitness, home decorating and other professionals as her ordained experts and hawk their wares.

Some industrious talk show host needs to try out the old longform grab-bag format with wildly varying topics and each episode dedicating the whole hour to one thing.

Or maybe I am the only one who is really bored of the talk show template of opening segment/jokes, news-y chatter, interview/sales pitch, interview/sales pitch, interview/sales pitch, closing musical performance, back from commercial where we see the host chatting, no volume, with the musician, who waves goodbye and gets to say nothing on camera.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2022 11:02 AM

Speaking of Oprah, I remember when Oprah was PISSED that J.Hud was late to her taping of the Oprah Show because she decided to do a gig in another city the night before. J.Hud was the first person to stand up Oprah lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2022 11:39 AM

I don't get warm and fuzzy feeling from her despite the fake voice. The show will bomb;

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2022 11:50 AM

Hudson has always seemed remote and affectless to me. I can't imagine her making a connection (even a fake one) with interviewees. But I'm sure there have been test shows and the producers must be satisfied with her performance.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2022 12:05 PM

Wonder if she will copy Clarkson and do a song at the start of each show

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2022 12:44 PM

90s daytime TV was great.

Jenny Jones

Ricki Lake

Sally Jesse Raphael

Oprah

Montell

Maury

Jerry Springer

Leeza

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2022 9:35 PM

The last fun talk show was Tyra. What a fun mess.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2022 9:35 PM

Oh, I forgot about Leeza. I met her once and she was GORGEOUS in person. Almost unbelievably so. Years later, I sent her a random email to pick her brain about something and she replied with a long, encouraging message. She's an A+ person as far as I am concerned.

I liked Tyra's talk show sometimes. Sometimes it seemed to be made with girls in mind—"young girls," as she always says, which annoys me for some reason (Doesn't 'girls' suffice? All girls are young.)—but both on ANTM and her talk show, the real appeal for me was Tyra's totally bonkers personality/persona. Come to think of it, Jinkx Monsoon's appeal (besides the talent) is similar. They both just seem harmlessly crazy and serious and whimsical at the same time.

I have heard enough awful stuff about her as a person that I believe she's an ass, but she's still a really entertaining comical character to me. I don't watch America's Got Talent or Dancing with the Stars but I have seen short snippets of both with her as host and it makes me feel bad for her, like her personality has been neutered, when she presents herself seriously. I feel like she's basically a giant kid who is always on the verge of acting nonsensically silly or throwing a tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2022 2:22 PM

She. Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2022 7:00 PM

If Kelly Clarkson (who can barely speak English and is extremely annoying) can succeed, so can Jennifer Hudson, who I find dull but not grating.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2022 7:18 PM

R6, Comments like this are why DL is the realest.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2022 7:40 PM

I think I'd have a panic attack watching her breathlessly butcher the English Language for 45 mins.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2022 7:50 PM

Expect wokeness, singing, and I suspect lots of cheesy fake fur pillows and rhinestone dotted glasses to sip booze from. She'll wear too much actual real diamond jewelry, and you can't disagree with her. She'll have a patented arsenal of looks the adoring audience will soon be cheering over. She'll copy everyone.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2022 7:59 PM

Who thinks this is a good idea? She is an amazing singer, but not a great talker or listener. This show is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2022 8:02 PM

What would be her shtick? Ellen is a lez, Kelly is fat, Drew an ex addict. And there's already an EGOT black host in Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2022 8:20 PM

Nope. JHud does not exude "people person" like Kelly Clarkson does. Plus, I would bet that chip from losing "Idol" is still on Hudson's shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2022 2:46 AM

Hasn't she exceeded her 15 minutes of fame?

And, then some considering the fact she's at best, an ok singer but a terrible actress and doesn't have any charisma or charm.

As others have said, she doesn't seem articulate or intelligent enough to host a chat show.

You gotta have one of them: charm, wit and/or intelligence.

She's batting a zero for all three.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2022 5:20 AM

She's kept the weight off bitches

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2022 5:44 AM

I think her show will do as well as Megyn Kelly's show did. I'm not sure what it is about Jennifer Hudson, but she is one of those entertainers that they keep trying to make happen.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2022 6:00 AM

R44, She was hand-picked by Clive Davis as the successor to Whitney.

That is why, with Houston deceased just one day, Hudson was tapped to sing a Whitney song mere floors beneath where Whitney was found dead, as the Grammys of course (sarcasm) had to go on with the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2022 2:53 PM

In a promo for usher upcoming show, JHud apparently says, “I’ve lived a lot of life, and I’m still here.”

WTF does that even mean? You live life or you don’t. You don’t live a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 4:17 PM

She's referring to her family tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 8:51 PM

Maybe she got more days than the rest of us r46.

by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2022 10:04 AM

She'll make James Corden look like David Frost.

by Anonymousreply 49June 26, 2022 10:06 AM

Flop! Girl you just got EGOT status and you’re doing a fucking talk show

by Anonymousreply 50June 26, 2022 10:08 AM

Who knows she might be the next Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 51June 26, 2022 10:10 AM

Has anyone watched this yet?

by Anonymousreply 52September 28, 2022 8:58 PM

You can tell she's one of those "Mmm hmm" type of bitches, always look they're smelling something bad.

by Anonymousreply 53September 28, 2022 9:08 PM

Am I mistaken or is there no daytime “issue” based talk shows anymore. They all seem to just to celebrity interviews now. I don’t even mean in the Jenny Jones sort of trash TV way. Maury and Steve Wilkos do that still. But what ever happened to talk shows when they dealt with issues like kidnapping, grief, personal interest stories?

by Anonymousreply 54September 28, 2022 9:08 PM

What are the ratings?

by Anonymousreply 55September 28, 2022 9:10 PM

They are all the same and so bland - I never thought I'd miss Jerry Springer.

by Anonymousreply 56September 28, 2022 9:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 28, 2022 9:13 PM

I don’t see this show succeeding, though it doesn’t mean they won’t give it time.

She’s never seemed personable.

by Anonymousreply 58September 28, 2022 9:18 PM

Talk shows are going the way of commercials. They had a good run.

What’s next?

by Anonymousreply 59September 28, 2022 9:25 PM

The churchy hand clapping theme music that also plays into and out of the commercial breaks is annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 60September 28, 2022 9:35 PM

The show is fine. JHud is having fun with it. She also has the added benefit of star power, which the audience seems to like.

by Anonymousreply 61September 28, 2022 9:47 PM

She’s doing Hot Topics from a lavender chair and JenniOke

by Anonymousreply 62September 28, 2022 9:50 PM

This bitch kept the Big O waiting for The Oprah Show. She was supposed to be at HARPO for taping, but didn't show. O's people had to track her down, and she told them she was at a party in Texas!

You don't do that shit to the Big O!

Her EGOT status diminishes that status. Undeserving. Never a fan.

by Anonymousreply 63September 28, 2022 9:59 PM

I mean, Kelly is considered the current queen and, god love her… and I do… she’s not especially good at it.

Kelly is likable and shows a genuine interest in her guests, but she comes across as manic. She’s trying way too hard. If she could take it down a bit she’d be great. Hasn’t happened yet.

by Anonymousreply 64September 28, 2022 10:46 PM

Would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think JHud has a pleasant personality.

A friend had a business interaction a few years back and expected to love her. Jennifer came across as cold, dumb and unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 65September 28, 2022 10:48 PM

I think Mackenzie Phillips would have made a great talk show host. There's still time.

by Anonymousreply 66September 28, 2022 10:52 PM

DL mental cases always post multiple paragraph replies like anyone reads it. Lol. They do not

See the person so mentally ill that could not go to school and that elder lez in the hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2022 11:04 PM

Evil Cunt, weren't you told to fuck off?

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2022 11:25 PM

She's no Drew.

by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2022 12:36 AM

Sherri has the better show, but then again, she has experience in daytime talk, and she's a comedian, so her comes off as a pro compared to JHud.

JHud's show is dull.

by Anonymousreply 70September 29, 2022 12:44 AM

really boring.

by Anonymousreply 71September 29, 2022 12:46 AM

Jennifer Hudson has a great voice but I don't like her style of singing.

by Anonymousreply 72September 29, 2022 12:47 AM

When, oh when will the entertainment industry stop trying to force Jennifer Hudson on the public? "Dreamgirls" was more than 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 73September 29, 2022 12:57 AM

How much is she getting paid for this single season snooze fest? I'm sure the executives are scrambling to come up with something else to fill that time slot.

by Anonymousreply 74September 29, 2022 1:03 AM

I tried to watch the interview from her show with Leslie Jordan. I didn't last three minutes. I found her distracting. She was not a natural at interviewing to say the least. Doing a talk show isn't for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2022 2:39 AM

Same ole, same ole.

by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2022 2:48 AM

Hold the line!

by Anonymousreply 77October 26, 2022 3:13 AM

Is JHud going to be the next Ricki Lake?

by Anonymousreply 78October 26, 2022 3:47 AM

I can't believe they just threw her onto Ellen's old set. There's a reason they give a new host a new set. I can't look at clips from JHud's show without thinking of Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 79October 26, 2022 4:31 AM

Sherri "The Earth is Round" Shephard is so much more natural doing her talk show than Jennifer, who, you can tell with each episode, struggles reading the cue cards.

Sherri doesn't book as many A-list guests as Jennifer, which is a shame because she's a better interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 80October 26, 2022 4:36 AM

Wait, is this show already on, I thought it was new?

by Anonymousreply 81October 26, 2022 4:39 AM

I realize Ellen looks like if Hermey the Elf and the Snow Miser had a baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 26, 2022 6:31 AM

R41 here: Yep, that chip is still there. JHud just had Adam Lambert on and was all, "You didn't win, and I was seventh, and look at us now!"

Worse, she has affected an exaggerated Ghetto-Speak that is impossible for me to abide.

by Anonymousreply 83October 26, 2022 9:11 AM

[quote]What would be her shtick? Ellen is a lez, Kelly is fat, Drew an ex addict. And there's already an EGOT black host in Whoopi.

Her stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 84October 26, 2022 10:31 AM

We need to start a referendum to bring back Oprah. The world needs her magic now if we are to continue on our journey, discovering our truth.

by Anonymousreply 85October 26, 2022 6:07 PM

She is likable but but her speaking voice can grate on my ears. She sings like an angel though.

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2022 5:11 PM

Jennifer was interviewing Tamera Howery who herself is a former talk show host - wow, Jen looked so lost on that couch. Stammering, stumbling over the cue cards, staring blankly at the camera. Trainwreck TV.

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2022 5:16 PM

How's her ratings?

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2022 5:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!