Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just having a Golden Girls binge

What else to do in this dreadful heatwave?

Just watched the ep where Dorothy befriends the agarophobic guy. My, he's one sad sack and the actor is woeful but the b-plot with Blanche's birthday was good.

Any other fans of season 6?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2022 5:38 PM

I like parts of season 6, but that's such a lousy episode, and an example of how the writers had trouble coming up with Dorothy plots that didn't involve Stan.

The Blanche plot is decently written, but I can never get past how the girls damn well know Blanche's birthday. We watched them throw her two birthday parties in A Piece of Cake. (I know, I know, continuity was a foreign concept for the show.)

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2022 7:23 PM

I am usually team Dorothy, but I don't like her in that episode. She's supposed to just deliver the meals, not become an hra worker.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2022 7:24 PM

It's one of the lesser seasons in my view, with too many family subplots. But "Zborn Again," Ruby Dee as Mammy, and the return of Clayton were good. The Mel Bushman episode and Henny Penny are highlights.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2022 7:29 PM

Now we have Sophia setting Dorothy up with a matchmaker, awful too.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2022 7:32 PM

Next one has Rose having her tits grabbed by her Dentist. Lol

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2022 7:42 PM

Speaking of the heatwave, remember Dorothy's stand-up comedian routine in the "Comedy of Errors" episode?

Dorothy: You'll, uh have to excuse me. I'm a little nervous. I'm not really a comedian. Boy, it's a little hot up here. Sophia: How hot is it? Dorothy: I don't know, but it's really hot. Sophia: Hi-ho! [Later, after Dorothy has found her confidence] Dorothy: And that's the trouble with the guys here in Miami. They simply cannot say those three little words: "Quick, call 911." So, that's who I am. A substitute teacher with hot flashes who still lives with her mother who heckles her. [laughter] And I wanna thank you for finding my life more amusing than I do. Good night. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote]Next one has Rose having her tits grabbed by her Dentist. Lol

Who could resist those big Swedish breasts of hers?

And how could I know the internet and this whole #MeToo thing was going to come along?

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 12:10 AM

[quote]Who could resist those big Swedish breasts of hers?

I know...

if only Rose had been Lebanese...

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 12:13 AM

The actor was awful, OP???

Martin Mull would like to have a word with you.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 12:15 AM

Speaking of heatwave...Dorothy wearing those ugly white boots in the Miami heat/humidity.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 12:29 AM

^ with heavy sweaters and other layers with high neck collars and scarves....

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 12:51 AM

I like the episode where Rose is fondled by her dentists because I loved how the other women reacted and pushed her to denounce him, especially when almost 30 years later #Me too tried to pretend they were the first women to stand up for themselves in that sense.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 12:54 AM

GG was really kind of prescient in many ways - and they wonder why we discuss, analyze, and revere it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2022 12:59 AM

In the original version of "Letter to Gorbachev"

Rose spoke cryptically about a dream, involving the end of the Soviet Union, and the emergence a new Russian dictator named Putin who would attack one of the largest countries in Europe...

but all of that got cut from the final edit...so they'd have more time for the B plot.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 1:04 AM

The acting in some episodes is so much better than others.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 8:26 AM

R3, you must not watch the first season too much either with 8 episodes devoted to visiting family members.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 1:35 PM

R3, just goes to show how differently people respond to different episodes. I agree with Zborn Again and Melodrama being highlights, but the episode with that awful bitch Mammy Watkins and the terrible Henny Penny episode are lowlights I always skip.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 2:46 PM

The Henny Penny episode sucked Rose’s big titties. I always skip that episode.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 2:49 PM

I also rewatched the Mammy Watkins episode and thought she was a horrid woman too. No apology for what she did to Blanche's mom.

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2022 3:23 PM

It's the musical number that fully redeems the otherwise mediocre Henny Penny for me.

The first season also contained a lot of relatives running amok, as R16 mentions, but I'll take Blanche's slutty niece and or Big Daddy's awful singing over "Ebbtide's Revenge," "Blanche Delivers" or Rose's biological dad. To be clear, though, when it comes to this series I rarely skip anything when I rewatch, though I don't pay nearly as much attention to the clip episodes.

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2022 4:00 PM

Why did Bea shit on Betty’s dressing room floor?

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2022 5:16 PM

This sort of behavior is indicative of a heat stroke, OP. Turn the TV off immediately.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2022 5:27 PM

Lol R22 you know you love it

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2022 5:40 PM

I just watched the epiosde where Michael sleeps with Bridget and that's pretty much the only episode with their children that I like. I don't like the other two episodes with Michael or either of the two with Kate. I don't like either Kirsten episodes or any of the Rebecca episodes, Also, how many kids were each of them supposed to have? Dorothy was just supposed to have Michael or Kate, but I believe Blanche was supposed to have three sons plus her other daughter Janet, besides Rebecca. With Rose we only see Bridge and Kirsten but for some reason I always assume she had more children that they never showed.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2022 6:02 PM

Charlie Junior, R24 .

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2022 6:21 PM

I actually like "Hole in My Heart" because it's catchy and funny, also very silly. I don't think she sings it on tour anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2022 6:29 PM

Oops, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2022 6:30 PM

R24, Adam, who was conceived on the Day of the Princess Pig when they had the pig crowning, and Jeanella,, who was conceived on Hay Day. You may have forgotten since you don't like Rebecca's second episode.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2022 6:37 PM

Blanche said that her son Skippy has asthma.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2022 6:37 PM

Dorothy and Stan had a third child who died in childhood (the one conceived in high school). Dorothy then went to College (rooming with Jean) while Stan served in Korea. The reu ited and she had Michael and Kate.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2022 6:49 PM

R30, that certainly makes more sense than it's depicted in the show, since they cast the kids too young.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2022 6:50 PM

Yes R31 there's no way Sophie would not say something if Kate was getting married at almost 40 in the second episode.

Michael is clearly referenced as 30 years old when he's leeching of Dorothy in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2022 10:20 AM

And yet a year and a half earlier in Mixed Blessings he was 23.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2022 10:45 AM

It's a shame that, due to lacklustre writing and avoidance of taboo matters, we never really got to understand all the complexities of Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2022 11:36 AM

If people as smart as us had been writers for the show we could have cleared up so many inconsistencies with just a well-placed line here and there.

For instance, in "Ebbtide's Revenge" I would have Dorothy say something like: "My heart just breaks for Ma. After Stan and I lost the baby, I couldn't get out of bed for a month, and I was only a kid, not an old lady."

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote] avoidance of taboo matters

The fuck? Jean, Clayton, Rose may be poz, whoring in your 60s. The show didn't avoid taboo matters.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2022 1:06 PM

R36 au contraire it avoided discussions of Dorothy's miscarriage/dead child.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2022 1:12 PM

It's the problems of most sitcoms... characters don't tend to evolve, they either jump the shark, become flanderized or adopt cousin oliver... though perhaps keeping Blanche's grandson for added more to the dynamic.

It might had benefited the show had one of the failed attempts of spinoffs taken off. . . like the one focused on the combining the youth/senior rec center even if it was just so bloody awful.

Empty Nest didn't really mesh and unfortunately, GG was towards it's end when Nurses came around.. which could have more easily been worked into regular crossovers.

They got to perform for the queen, but it's a damn shame they never got to play on Waiting For God. Dorothy could finally come out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2022 1:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2022 1:25 PM

During the Moonlight Madness episode in s7 they had some annoying bitch turn up who must have been from one of the spinoffs. She was insufferable and a bad actress with as much comic-timing as a shart in white pants.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2022 1:30 PM

I can see the asshole who is hell bent on creating the myth that Dorothys first child died is back. Why dont you follow this allleged baby's example please.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2022 1:30 PM

R41 I knew you would show up to shit on our parade. No one wants you in these threads, and YOU are the asshole for erasing Dorothy's truth! Now kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2022 1:35 PM

R40= Didi Conn

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2022 2:02 PM

R14 Is that the episode were Rose was due give a speech to the whole world about Russia via their living room? And yet strangely in the previous episode she was freaking out about having to give a eulogy at a funeral as she hates speaking in public.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2022 4:23 PM

Who is the nutter at R30 who is the only person ever to suggest that Dorothy had a dead third child? He keeps on trolling these threads trying to convince himself that it actually was a thing. Not one person connected to the show has ever mentioned this so enough already with your deluded fantastical fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2022 4:29 PM

R45 sod off sad sack, its just another theory to make sense of what we saw.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2022 4:40 PM

I love the way EVERY thread turns into a slap fight between to angry queens.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2022 6:54 PM

^two angry queens

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2022 6:55 PM

What about the clip episode that starts with the ladies arriving at a therapist‘s office because they aren’t getting along and realize they shouldn’t be living together?

We saw no hints of this in the prior episodes.

And then it all gets resolved by the end of the episode and it’s never mentioned again.

TV shows these days have arcs. There was no concern for continuity on GG.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]GG was towards it's end

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2022 7:27 PM

Yea I got that as well R49, there was no build up to it and they were getting along well before that silly episode

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2022 7:30 PM

Among the many terrible episodes, the one where Sophia enters a convent was definitely the worst.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2022 7:58 PM

They should have kept that old bitch there R52. Dorothy was a fool to demand she come home, she could have left her there. Much cheaper than Shady Pines.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2022 8:00 PM

I loved that one R52! You want to talk terrible episodes - The Mangiacavello Curse and Rose The Prude top that list.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2022 9:02 PM

Rose turned into a slut over the years

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2022 9:12 PM

r54, the "always on your back" kitchen scene alone keeps Rose the Prude from being a terrible episode.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Rose turned into a slut over the years

I wish I'd know...I could have satisfied her!

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2022 10:19 PM

Continuity is overrated!

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2022 12:41 AM

Well the ink blot scene and Blanche in a nurses outfit chasing after that guy keeps How Do You Solve A Problem Like Sophia? from being a terrible episode.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2022 1:02 AM

Whenever there is a restaurant scene or any scene requiring extras/background artists, there is alway a black couple featured. Is it always the same couple throughout the series? The lady always has the same hairstyle, and we know how much the show tended to use the same actors.

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2022 6:47 AM

^ that's so racist!

Do all black people look alike to you, Arthur?

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2022 7:17 AM

Just the phrase "Golden Girls binge" makes me feel all warm and cozy inside...

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2022 7:18 AM

I have some St. Olaf stories I could tell.

by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2022 7:27 AM

I can kick your ass with my white boots from here, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2022 10:53 AM

Did anyone on the set ever question the sweaters and heavy boots? “I thought this was supposed to be Miami?”

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2022 10:58 AM

I did once.

And then Bea shit in my dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2022 11:00 AM

I’d love to know who scooped up Bea’s huge doo doo that she left in Betty’s dressing room. Was it the Zbornack guy?

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2022 7:59 PM

R65 I just watched the dancing episode were Dorothy needs an operation on her foot. In that episode all three of them are wearing a heavy coat. The other bizarre thing is that Dorothy is terrified of having the operation but there is no mention of her new son in law. Just a few episodes previous we were introduced to him as a foot doctor. Also in this episode Blanche has a fear of flying, she obviously somehow conquered this and passed this fear onto Dorothy for a future episode.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2022 9:47 AM

In the "'Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas" episode Blanche gives the girls "The Men of Blanche's Boudoir" Calendar:

Rose: ... "The Men of Blanche's Boudoir".

Blanche: It's a calendar! Each month has a picture of a man who has brought special joy into my life.

Dorothy: Aww Blanche, oh honey, this is so thoughtful. *turns page* ... WHOA!

Blanche: ...September?

Dorothy: Yup.

Sophia: I'm surprised you were able to walk in October!

How was Blanche able to walk in October?

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2022 10:30 AM

^ She had been practicing with members of the local fire department.

I can see in her bedroom windows from my house.

I think some of the things she does in there are illegal - I'm looking into it,

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2022 10:37 AM

Trivia about "'Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas" episode from IMDB:

Unbeknownst to the actresses, several members of the prop department took photos of themselves in exaggerated erotic nude or semi-nude poses and compiled them into the prop calendar "The Men of Blanche's Boudoir." Filming ground to a halt when the Girls saw the calendar for the first time on set and promptly fell into hysterical laughter. Afterwards each woman received her own copy of the calendar, signed by the prop department.

McClanahan's copy was auctioned after her death, selling for over $4000.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2022 10:40 AM

R71 Was that the auction by her family selling all kinds of old crap?

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2022 11:34 AM

R72 They’ll never get their hands on Big Daddy’s music box!

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2022 12:28 PM

^ Or my grammy's wind chimes from the Hollingsworth plantation!

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2022 1:36 PM

r73, one of the few good parts of that episode is that that bitch Mammy Watkins had to walk away without her damn music box.

by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2022 1:45 PM

Whilst I appreciated that Mammy watched Blanche blossom from afar, she was very insensitive not to explain why she left sooner, or indeed to lead with that when they met again in the episode.

She showed little interest in what Blanche was feeling, more interested in the music box.

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2022 1:53 PM

When it turns out to be the wrong music box and she says they went through all that for nothing--so much cringe. What a bitch.

And then when Blanche says, "Not for nothing," and Viola (or Ruby Dee) cringes as Blanche hugs her--awful.

I don't buy that wedding story. That bitch didn't care about Blanche at all.

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2022 2:17 PM

Big Daddy liked her music box.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2022 2:17 PM

If Blanches husband was a lawyer, why does she habe to take in roomates? Plus, there must have been insurance after his accident.

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2022 8:27 PM

He may have been a lawyer, but presumably he was working in some sort of business, since Blanche dreamed he'd faked his death because the family business was collapsing and his partner framed him.

by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2022 8:33 PM

Blanche was wealthy but mentioned her money was tied up in investments. He probably left a fortune to his kids too

by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2022 8:40 PM

George was a lawyer? I don’t remember that.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2022 8:58 PM

Apparently he was, though I don't remember when it was mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2022 9:05 PM

Big Daddy liked a lot of black boxes...he was a real tomcat back in the day!

Ruby Dee deserved a better part than that bitch Mammy Watkins.

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2022 11:13 PM

On the Golden Palace, R83. And Eddie Albert was a dead ringer for Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2022 12:41 AM

Ah, in that case, it doesn't count, since The Golden Palace isn't a thing that ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 86June 22, 2022 12:51 AM

How rich was George?

by Anonymousreply 87June 22, 2022 5:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!