Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Tonys Bounced Back

The 75th Tony Awards drew an audience of 3.9 million viewers on CBS on Sunday night, about a million viewers more than last year’s ceremony, according to Nielsen.

The ratings comeback follows a months long trend where award shows, at least for now, have been rebounding from record lows. This year’s Oscars drew 16 million viewers, up from last year’s low of 10 million viewers. And the Grammys had a small ratings bump to over 9 million viewers this year. Even with the rebound, Sunday’s ratings performance was still significantly lower than the 5.4 million viewers that tuned in for the 2019 Tonys. This year marks the second-lowest viewership total since records have been kept.

New York was the highest rated market in the country, with San Francisco and West Palm Beach right behind it, according to Nielsen.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 2:47 PM

It must have been all the Spring Awakening fans!

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2022 3:45 PM

They all wanted to see me!

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2022 3:46 PM

With the market ratings, it's obvious that 3.9 million gay men watched the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2022 3:49 PM

It was the lowest-rated Tonys ever. Last year's show doesn't count because it was only a 2-hour performance special, not a real Tonys. James Corden as host drew a lot more viewers.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2022 3:50 PM

In order to get a higher ratings, next year's Tony broadcast should be combined with Broadway Bares. No one would complain about the opening number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2022 3:52 PM

Finally watching this now. Josh Lucas is gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2022 12:53 PM

Can anyone in Mr. Saturday Night sing on key?

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2022 12:58 PM

I don't know, R6, but as I said in a previous thread, he has the worst cast of "gay voice" that I've ever heard -- so bad that I'm surprised he ever had any kind of a career as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2022 12:59 PM

Anyone who is surprised by or can't understand the incredibly obvious rebound in ratings for these award shows is beyond stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2022 1:00 PM

I stopped watching the Tony's around 2017 and just downloaded the musical numbers from YouTube to watch the next day. This year, I'm not even interested in the numbers.i used to see 10-15 Broadway shows each season, and more prior to 2017. It's left a distaste in me between plays that lecture rather than entertain, alterations in most of the revivals that took out the bite, and lousy audiences. Not planning on going that often anymore. Last season, I saw 3 shows, and they left a distaste I can't get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2022 1:07 PM

The Dylan show looks and sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2022 1:23 PM

Also, Arianna DeBose is a terrific ringleader, even if there is something of a disconnect between her segments and the rest of the show. But all the criticism here about her is unwarranted. She’s a very natural host and seems like a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2022 1:27 PM

Ariana DeBose was a tour de force of entertainment hour after hour.

She put on a One-Woman Broadway Show to celebrate Broadway shows!

Magnificient.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2022 1:28 PM

Does Matt Doyle have a lower register?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2022 1:28 PM

This is not a rebound. People didn’t even know those asterisk Tonys happened last season. It’s a decrease from the season before that, so the trend is downwards, not up.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2022 1:29 PM

I LOVED A Strange Loop. I don’t how you can love theatre and not appreciate this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2022 1:47 PM

I stan Lea Michele for saying with her spray tan, “I am NOT a racist.”

It’s a powerful message for these troubled times.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2022 2:39 PM

I thank God for the Tonys bouncing back, because without him nothing is possible — and that is true, and that will always be true.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2022 2:52 PM

Ms Porter should’ve done a proper vocal warm up.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2022 3:05 PM

So does Cynthia Erivo think she’s getting married today?

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2022 3:11 PM

Ms. Porter doesn't have high notes any more, as he severely damaged his voice years ago through reckless misuse of it. As you may have noticed, there was at least one very questionable high note in his performance on the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2022 3:13 PM

I love how Michael R. Jackson is looking at all that black fashion and writing his next show.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2022 3:13 PM

Well the Tonys may have bounced back, but the Company revival didn't. It's closing on July 31.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2022 11:04 PM

Link.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2022 11:05 PM

[quote] New York was the highest rated market in the country, with San Francisco and West Palm Beach right behind

How stereotypical

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2022 11:14 PM

people were unfamiliar with the shows and Broadway because of COVID, crime and the economy is not doing well as many shows have announced they will be closing after August.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote] Well the Tonys may have bounced back, but the Company revival didn't. It's closing on July 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 12:45 AM

Plaza Suite with SJP and hubby Matthew has its final performance July 10th

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 1:57 AM

The Tony awards has bounced back in the sense that a stroke victim who can now blink with his left eye has bounced back.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 3:27 AM

Perhaps they will ask DeBose back to host next year.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 3:43 AM

Probably not R30 Her15 minutes are up! And I should know!

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 5:27 AM

DeBose is a tour de force. The Oscars should get in line for her tohost.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 12:01 PM

Beanie will do the hosting next year.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 1:01 PM

And she will introduce Lea doing a scene...

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 2:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!