Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For All Mankind—Season 3

The first episode was amazing, though using Jacobsen swan chairs in the space hotel in place of the Mourge Djinn chairs in 2001 was lame. I just binged the second season and I’m now frustrated by the weekly release schedule.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2022 1:56 PM

Y’all are missing out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 10:15 PM

First I've heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2022 10:23 PM

The Reason ‘For All Mankind’ Is the Surprise Best Show on TV

Has spoilers for first two seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2022 10:41 PM

I ‘ve just spent the last week binge-ing seasons 1 and 2. More people should be aware of this series. I think too many think it’s a docu-drama on the history of the space program. When I explain to friends that it’s an alternate reality science fiction series which speculates about how history would have played out if the first man on the moon was a Russian and the second was a Russian woman, people suddenly get interested.

Season 1 got stronger with every episode once the setup got going, but every episode of season 2 killed. I became quite attached to Gordo and Tracy as a star-crossed (pun intended) glamour couple who couldn’t get over each other. I loved Michael Dorman and Sarah Jones. Joel Kinnaman is definitely channeling Gary Cooper as far as looks. I don’t always find his acting that nuanced, but he’s the perfect authoritative center of gravity (second pun intended) for the series.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2022 1:39 PM

That’s a good point. I originally started watching thinking it was a docu-drama like The Right Stuff or First Man.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2022 3:41 PM

It's scary how much Shantel VanSanten looks like a young Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2022 11:56 PM

Season One was much more tightly written and well cast, but as the show has gone along, there are way too many long stretches of soap-opera angst and OTT emergency situations. It seems like half the show was spent in earnest conversations in the bar. It lost me entirely when they went for the incestuous Danny/Karen scenes. The entire Season 3 space hotel emergency and Danny's hero rescue was where I've stopped watching.

I'm as disappointed in this as I was with Another Life, which was another one-contrived-emergency-after-another space saga.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2022 12:26 AM

Danny and Karen are not related, so no incest. Creepy, but not incest.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2022 12:30 AM

First episode was amazing and was widely lauded, but then the telenovela aspect took over (yet again) and it became near interminable. I rolled my eyes when it was revealed that Danny had a thing for Karen. Hopefully it picks up now that they're finally headed towards Mars.

[quote]I'm as disappointed in this as I was with Another Life, which was another one-contrived-emergency-after- - another space saga.

That's a bit harsh. They're in different galaxies, quality-wise.

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2022 12:31 AM

R8, Ed and Karen considered Danny (Shane's best friend) as a surrogate son, especially after his parents died. He may not have been biologically their son, but he definitely was considered part of their family. Hence my feeling that Karen preying on Danny was sensational and gross.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2022 12:36 AM

Every time I scroll past this thread I think it says 7 For All Mankind, regarding the popular jeans from circa 2007 or so!

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2022 12:46 AM

Danny’s parents were alive when Karen and Danny slept together.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2022 4:38 AM

I'm not sure about that, R12, but you may be right.. Karen went on to marry the guy who bought the bar (who had been married to Tracy). Events kind of ran together there.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2022 5:12 AM

Gordo and Tracy died at the end of season 2.

I’m not sure Karen married Sam. I think they were just business partners.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2022 5:28 AM

It’s getting rather silly.

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2022 3:50 PM

I still think it's great!!!

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2022 3:55 PM

Another loose cable incident, what are the odds? But whatever, I'm still enjoying it.

Gordo's other kid, Jimmy, is so unfortunate looking. I'm thinking of his hair situation in particular. I wonder what the story behind this casting decision is. An exec's kid, perhaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2022 11:14 PM

I don’t think Danny is going to handle the disappointment well.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2022 5:07 AM

Who’s the hot piece of ass that plays Danny? They need to get him naked, or at least shirtless more often.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2022 5:38 AM

Gay storyline, with DADT and AIDS panic and everything! Things about to get real juicy when the president gets outed.

I love that they called out that "at least you can hide your orientation, I can't hide my race" nonsense, that shit is so pernicious.

r19 Casey W. Johnson

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2022 11:07 PM

and Danny is gonna go ape shit in space. I wonder if he's gonna tell him he fucked his wife!

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2022 11:20 PM

The Danny/Karen thing this season has made me roll my eyes every single time... up until this episode. If they do make him snap while on Mars, I would be down for that and it would make the whole arc totally worth it.

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2022 11:26 PM

It does seem like the show has become more soapy. The acting is pretty inconsistent. I like the actress who plays Margot, but most of the cast is very basic cable level of talent and many are sub-par. They don't play real people as much as they play types. The characters remind me of Battlestar Galactica a lot, which makes sense considering the same guy is the creator of both shows.

Also, this season seems like these people are really unprofessional. The commander for the Sojourner seems to lose her shit an awful lot. I get it that the Russian commander is uncooperative, but she's getting bitchy with him instead of handling it like a pro. Same going on over at Helios. I cannot stand Karen. I'm trying to figure out how this bitch went from being a housewife for a few decades and now she's asking to be COO of an aeronautics company. They can really strain incredulity. I cannot believe they were going back to the Danny/Karen relationship since it was pretty reviled in S2.

I do like the show still - I love space exploration so this is my jam - but its not the best show on tv by a mile. As a huge fan of The Americans, it is nice to see them using Arkady and Tatiana from that show.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2022 2:17 AM

I really can’t imagine the Russian captain trying to be first out when he is a rescued guest on an American ship piloted by someone else. He would be forever reviled, which defeats the “glory” of being first.

Danny getting access to Ed’s messages is kind of a cheap trick.

The coming out scene seems so improbable. The early days on Mars is a damn selfish time to do it. Why wouldn’t he wait until he got back, or at least until they were safely established? And how could he not be concerned about the rest of the crew’s reaction when they are trapped in close quarters.

Disappointed with this season.

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2022 4:34 AM

At the moment I'm only watching it in anticipation of Danny totally losing his shit and telling Ed everything.

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2022 10:17 PM

So Mars is a death trap. I still can't get over how Jimmy looks, his scenes make me wince.

In related news, the show's been renewed for season 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2022 11:39 PM

Apple TV doesn't seem that popular in general. They do have a lot of great shows, though.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2022 11:45 PM

I can't wait for the next episode - it feels like this season has dragged but now something is finally happening.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2022 12:29 AM

Ed clearly suspects Danny is using drugs, so why are the opioids and amphetamines still available? No one has noticed their diminishing supply?

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2022 2:48 PM

I dig this show. I hope joel kinnamen doesn't die!

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2022 6:27 PM

I am on Episode 8 of Season 2. I am not going to read this thread so I don't see spoilers-- I just wanted to say I am catching up with you guys!

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2022 2:27 AM

"Marsquake" made me cringe. I get the logic behind the word, but still...

This episode drove home just how soapy this show is at its core. I actually had flashbacks to watching Santa Barbara with my grandma in the '90s, specifically that one episode where two characters get stuck in a cave. Same atmosphere and cheesy dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2022 2:06 AM

damn, I didn't expect her to do that!

great show!

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2022 5:48 AM

I fucking hate HATE Kelly! I hated her as a kid, too. I do not believe that an astronaut would be so reckless as to get pregnant in space. I hope she dies in the last episode because I do not want her back for season 4. On the other hand, I like Danny's brother (forgot his name). I can imagine a kid turning out like him. And I think that Danny is going to sacrifice himself in some way next week.

I grew up by Nasa, so this series been very interesting to watch. Nasa never seemed glamorous when I was a kid, including the astronauts and their families. Maybe it was and I just didn't notice.

by Anonymousreply 34August 6, 2022 3:19 PM

"I'm a gay homosexual lesbian. God bless America!" Good for her but she's still a Repub, so...

Of fucking course that bitch has pre-eclampsia. Every telenovela needs one of those. I hope she dies, too.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2022 12:08 AM

Damn, I can't believe she died!

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2022 7:03 AM

I just read this - haven’t seen the show but googled and found that someone I know is/was one of the leading characters- Michael Dorman. That’s my wet winter weekend sorted!

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2022 7:26 AM

Wow, what an ending. Looking forward to Margot's storyline in season 4

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2022 9:08 AM

I was hoping he would get back with her! But she died in the bombing....

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2022 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!