Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Ms. Marvel' praised by fans but flooded with bad reviews. Critics think they know why.

Because whites can't take it when non-whites are superheroes.

Marvel’s new Disney+ series “Ms. Marvel” received praise from reviewers and fans, but some are blasting its diversity, calling it too “woke” and “cringe.” And critics say they know what's behind the criticism.

The series, released Wednesday, follows Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old Pakistani American girl from New Jersey who struggles to fit in at school and home until she’s imbued with superpowers by a bangle passed down from her grandmother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2022 6:58 AM

Is anyone surprised?

"Here's our superhero series!"

"I'm sorry, but it's too woke and preachy for me to enjoy it."

"Oh, then you must be RACI$T! The fault is with YOU!"

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2022 12:33 PM

Sucks to be her.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2022 12:33 PM

I hated the directing and editing. Episode 1 was a 60 minute TikTok made for those with ADD.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2022 12:39 PM

[quote] "Oh, then you must be RACI$T! The fault is with YOU!"

It really is. Fandom doesn't give you a permission slip to be a racist hater.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2022 12:48 PM

How stupid are you, R4? Not liking woke preaching is not racism. It's like some of you SJWokesters don't even know what racism actually is.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2022 12:52 PM

What woke preaching? The only thing the show has that people find "offensive" is a Pakistani-American superhero.

They are pissed SOLELY because she's not white.

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2022 12:58 PM

Or perhaps no-one gives a shit about some badly written teen hero and they're just trying to drum up some publicity.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2022 1:11 PM

R1, define for us what “woke” means to you.

by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2022 1:13 PM

Marvel and DC are lost hopelessly, turning every female character either lesbian or bisexual.

And the men are only bisexual, never gay.

GLAD to skip this trash.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2022 1:29 PM

There are the same people who cheered that West Side Story failed because it was woke (Whites played whites and Puerto Ricans played Puerto Ricans---my goodness, how woke!!!). They were mum when Spiderman broke box office records--the movie where nearly every person is Spidey's group of friends is a different race/ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] define for us what “woke” means to you.

If there is a person of color as a main character, it's woke

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2022 2:16 PM

R9, Marvel and DC are lost hopelessly, turning every female character either lesbian or bisexual.

Ms Marvel is neither

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2022 2:17 PM

Isn't Ms. Marvel a longstanding legacy character from the comics?

While the story itself might be jammed full of agenda, the character itself isn't.

As far as it goes, Iron Man was a third rate Marvel property that the couldn't sell back when they sold off all the rights to their big name characters. Yet, he became the focal point of the entire MCU through the end of Phase III.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote]Isn't Ms. Marvel a longstanding legacy character from the comics?

That's Carol Danvers, currently Captain Marvel.

About ten years ago, they created Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American Inhuman who got powers after being exposed to the Terrigen Mists (it was a whole thing). They changed her origin and powers for the series, but she's been a popular character.

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2022 5:26 PM

r8, you must think you are in charge here since you are barking out orders.

Alas for you!

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2022 5:43 PM

Believe it or not, many people have hated even movies that starred white men!

Check the current thread, "Worst Movie You've Ever Seen."

Or don't, and continue nursing your delusion that the one and only singular reason anyone could not like a given movie is because they are an evil shitstain afire with racism, sexism, transphobia, fat-phobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and {insert your pejorative here}.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2022 5:49 PM

Alas R15, we can assume from your deflection exactly what “woke” means to you.

You’re not that clever.

by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2022 5:54 PM

Mediocre white men are the thinnest-skinned bitches on the planet.

This is news?

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2022 6:02 PM

The reason the reviews were bad is that the reviewers have a prejudice against people from Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2022 6:05 PM

[quote]Marvel and DC are lost hopelessly, turning every female character either lesbian or bisexual.

Whose ass did you pull this out of?

Scarlet Witch loved Vision.

Wonder Woman loves that guy played by pock-marked Chris Pine.

Captain Marvel has never stated her orientation.

Natasha loves Bruce Banner.

Etc, etc...

I can't speak for their comic book lives, but the female characters are definitely given straight love interests in the movies. Strong female character=/=bi or lesbian automatically.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2022 6:46 PM

It sounds terrible-- I won't be watching. Does that make me a racist?

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2022 6:47 PM

Unless the show beats viewers over the head about her religion or ethnicity, I don't see what the issue is.

I'll allow it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2022 6:50 PM

Pakistan Wow Grape !

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2022 6:51 PM

The only Marvel female character in movies to be turned lesbian are I think 2 characters in the final Fox X-Men series, New Mutants, where they weirdly dropped the canon lesbian (Karma), but turned the two other original female New Mutants Moonstar and Wolfsbane lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2022 6:58 PM

Has DL fave Riz Ahmed weighed in? He’s currently the world’s biggest most annoying representation merchant.

There isn’t one interview where Riz doesn’t mention being a British born Pakistani Muslim. This actor is always going on about "needing more diversity in film, more roles for Muslims" etc. Riz also lies about his background, he's not working class, there is much generational wealth.

Isn’t the whole idea about breaking down barriers to simply have any actor, or actress, of any race, nationality or religion be able to play any role?

Riz Ahmed is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2022 9:25 PM

"who struggles to fit in at school and home until she’s imbued with superpowers"

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2022 9:30 PM

The main actress is so likable and adorable. It was excellent casting.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2022 9:43 PM

I absolutely hate culture wars involving subpar Hollywood IP. I don't give a flying fuck whether or not some lame ass super hero tv show is racist or woke and I don't care if its defenders or haters are racist or woke because that super hero shit is garbage. So is the Star Wars shit, so is the Ghostbusters shit, so is all that shit that keeps getting recycled. It's stuff for little kids. Why can't adults like adult things?

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2022 10:08 PM

I didn't like Moon whatever or the God awful arrow guy. Hawkeye? I didn't even finish it.

Black Widow and Captain America aren't my favorite either. Don't like Hulk.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2022 10:11 PM

Watch our movies right now!

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2022 10:19 PM

The show was really cute and the young woman who play Ms. Marvel was great. The design was imaginative. As for her being Pakistani, it's no different that any scene in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." It's getting review-bombed on IMDB because the incel "He-Man Women Haters Club" feel like all heroes should be white guys, It was a fun watch.

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2022 10:25 PM

Why is the mother always saying everyone is bitter?

"Oh Bruno bitter..."

"Kamala bitter..."

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 4:54 PM

She's saying "beta." In Urdu, it technically translates to "son," but in Pakistan it's used as a term of endearment toward a younger person regardless of gender.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 5:13 PM

Relax. It's just like the old days of comics. They produced loads of titles. Some of them took off, some of them didn't.

Ms. Marvel will disappear if she doesn't develop a fan base/audience that translates into $$$. That's all this is about.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 5:15 PM

Holy shit. Just watched episode three and, for me, this series could potentially be my most favorite Marvel series so far.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2022 3:30 PM

Just watched the first episode. Funny and clever! Really enjoyed it

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2022 8:40 PM

R32, she’s saying “Betta” which means dear

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2022 8:40 PM

Oh, I thought they must have been victims of Thanos snapped away for 5 years which would have made them "bitter."

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2022 4:37 AM

I'm really, REALLY liking this series so far! The lead kid is just fantastic, she's so open, expressive, and dorky that I totally like her and care about what happens. That actress is perfect, she's a likeable kid and totally just a kid, and a lot of the heart of the show comes from the fact that she really is JUST a kid... who thought her plate was full dealing with typical family and school stuff... and here she has to cope with superpowers and supervaillain enemies.

The lead actress is just fantastic, and I've got to hand it to the Marvel casting office - they've done it again! Time after time, they've taken a pile of badly written comic books, and found some actor who can not only make the character seem real and believable, but who can make the audience care about the character, even love them! The casting people have to be tops of their field, because they've found a teenaged girl who can single-handedly carry this whole show and make it all totally believable.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2022 11:08 PM

Growing up in an immigrant family home, the "Mountain" conversation between mother and daughter stabbed me right into my heart.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2022 5:58 AM

That frau is BUSTED looking.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2022 6:03 AM

She would have made a great Ugly Betty. Have casting directors stopped caring about looks now?

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2022 6:04 AM

The show gets the mix right of humor, action, (family) drama, and mystery. It also has mad chemistry between the cast. Kamala & Bruno, Kamala & her parents, for example.

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2022 6:11 AM

All the freaks who "gatekeep" sci-fi and superhero stuff are pathetic - and a lot of it really does boil down to racism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2022 6:54 AM

[quote]It's like some of you SJWokesters don't even know what racism actually is

I KNOW, R5!! They don't understand that racism is ONLY when a white person announces they hate non-white people for no-exact-reason and kicks a black child in the face while screaming the n-word and lighting a cross on fire on the black kids family lawn.

Now THAT'S racism. And nothing else is. Nothing. WE ALL KNOW THIS. Why don't the SJWs get it!?!? Sheesh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2022 7:04 AM

R42

Beauty is fascistic.

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2022 8:49 AM

I caught a bit of it when my boyfriend was watching, and I thought it was boring. Although, in all honesty, I've been finding almost all recent Marvel and DC properties boring: the fan-service Spider-Man, the new Dr. Strange, emo Batman, the Eternals, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, and the absolute worst of all, that abominable Scarlet Witch show. The only recent Marvel production that was decent-ish was Loki.

They keep churning out the same stories with slightly different spins, and I'm bored. Disney+ was the worst mistake Disney has ever made.

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2022 8:52 AM

I'm so sick of mediocre white men. I support mediocre Black men and mediocre POC

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2022 9:13 AM

The lead actress is charismatic, but I fell asleep 30 minutes into the premiere episode and have yet to give Ms Marvel another shot.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2022 9:24 AM

Why won't people automatically like my show? I made the lead not-white! I did everything right!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2022 9:42 AM

It's be a very different show if the kid heroine was beautiful. She wouldn't be an Every kid, she coukdnt be this unselfconscious, she wouldn't be this innocent.

And this great kid wouldn't be playing the lead.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2022 11:41 AM

Aramis Knight sure is cute.

Link reveals spoilers for episode four.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2022 5:09 PM

I quit watching because she never learns! And keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. And her father is very annoying! It just wasn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 53June 29, 2022 5:14 PM

The actress looks like a fat toad

by Anonymousreply 54June 29, 2022 5:21 PM

I love Iron Man. I don't care if I am the only one in the world who feels that way.

I think if Ms. Marvel was so wonderful, and not simply a Diamon Ring of Diversity, wouldn't viewers love it in spite of themselves? Wouldn't a great show win over racists, who were also true fans of superhero stuff?

I'm supposed to love Dr. Strangelove. I mean, every critic in the history of the world WORSHIPS that f'ing film. I gave it a chance. How wrong can so many experienced movie-lovers be? But I just didn't like it. It wasn't funny or profound to me. You can say it's because it was in black and white. You can say I didn't like it because it's political. Maybe it's irony flew over my head? Blame it on anything YOU WANT to blame it on. Your conclusions still might be wrong. You're just guessing, since you don't know me.

by Anonymousreply 55June 29, 2022 5:49 PM

Nope, it’s because she looks too smug.

by Anonymousreply 56June 29, 2022 6:36 PM

R55, Dr. Strange was in black and white??

by Anonymousreply 57June 29, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote]I'm supposed to love Dr. Strangelove. I mean, every critic in the history of the world WORSHIPS that f'ing film.

[quote][R55], Dr. Strange was in black and white??

LOL - that made me laugh. Thx.

r55 - you may not have liked it, but you have to admit that Sterling Hayden was hot in his day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 29, 2022 8:53 PM

I liked it at first but it's become way too out there already. It was more charming as a show about this teen girl in Jersey City with her powers on a grounded level. Without all the other dimensions, and assassin groups, and this huge mythology they are making you get through.

I know it's a comic book show but I wish they hadnt had to immediately go so hardcore comic booky.

by Anonymousreply 59June 29, 2022 8:58 PM

R55 don't forget General TURGIDson and his aversion to fluids, and the sexual jet fueling in the owning credits.

by Anonymousreply 60June 29, 2022 8:59 PM

Let the marketplace sort it out.

If it's a hit, it won't matter what the critics say. if it's a flop, then there you are.

by Anonymousreply 61June 29, 2022 9:00 PM

All this for a crappy superhero series.

The racist Wingnuts are gonna have an aneurysm when they see a black female dwarf in the Lord of the Rings prequel l.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 29, 2022 9:03 PM

Who watches this superhero shit?

by Anonymousreply 63June 29, 2022 10:17 PM

"Wouldn't a great show win over racists, who were also true fans of superhero stuff?"

No. A person who is determined not to enjoy something can't be won over, you can show them the funniest or most exciting entertainment in the history of the world, and they'll convince themselves it sucked.

Which is how the racist needledick fanboys are approaching absolutely fucking every comic-book-based show starring a POC or woman, if they watch at all it's only so they can say exactly why they hate it, and hate the actors who have DARED to appear in a genre they think they fucking own. They're such spoiled, entitled, small-minded twats that they really, truly, deep in their heart of hearts, think that Marvel Film REALLY ought to cater everything they make for the white fanboy crowd.

by Anonymousreply 64June 29, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] Believe it or not, many people have hated even movies that starred white men! Check the current thread, "Worst Movie You've Ever Seen." Or don't, and continue nursing your delusion that the one and only singular reason anyone could not like a given movie is because they are an evil shitstain afire with racism, sexism, transphobia, fat-phobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and {insert your pejorative here}.

1. Most movies have white male leads. Therefore yes there are more hated movies and for that matter flops starring white men, than movies starring nonwhites.

2. Racism still exists and it’s still a huge problem.

3. White male lead movies are not hated because of racism against whites males.

Dataloungers spend night and day posting their idiotic racist bullshit. Then show up in threads like this and attempt argue that racism doesn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 65June 29, 2022 11:40 PM

If that’s a black trans woman sex worker dwarf r63, then the fan boys will have the right to complain

by Anonymousreply 66June 29, 2022 11:41 PM

And there are some people who just don’t care for the genre. I’ve watched Marvel/DC stuff when babysitting nieces/nephews/friend’s kid, but that’s really the only time I see those films.

by Anonymousreply 67June 29, 2022 11:59 PM

I can't believe they filmed the Karachi scenes in Bangkok.

by Anonymousreply 68July 4, 2022 5:43 PM

Impossible to film such a big project in a super conservative failed country, so many things could go wrong and it would be a black hole for production expenses. Bangkok makes prefect sense.

by Anonymousreply 69July 4, 2022 5:49 PM

Kamrun is pretty hot too. It was a slow start for me but I'm thoroughly enjoying it now.

by Anonymousreply 70July 4, 2022 6:03 PM

LMAO

The first Marvel series to feature a Muslim/South Asian character—which was promoted as groundbreaking—can’t film in a Muslim/South Asian country because they all fit the worst stereotypes (corrupt, dangerous).

by Anonymousreply 71July 4, 2022 6:07 PM

Yes, because the U.S. is so safe

by Anonymousreply 72July 4, 2022 6:25 PM

It’s tricky. I can think of so many characters who are POC and nobody thinks a thing about it. When a production makes it a big production that there’s a SPECIAL CHARACTER MADE JUST FOR YOU TO IDENTIFY WITH! it is just stupid.

Whenever they have to shoehorn in a character, it feels artificial and people can tell.

I feel sorry for the actress, because she is probably thrilled to get a job and now she’s in the middle of this stupid thing.

by Anonymousreply 73July 4, 2022 6:51 PM

"Unconscious bias [unconscious bias] NOUN. Unconscious favoritism toward or prejudice against people of a particular ethnicity, gender, or social group that influences one's actions or perceptions. For an example, see R73, who I am giving the benefit of a doubt in calling his bias "unconscious". "

He doesn't realize that although he can't identify with a character who isn't white and male, and his bias leads him to dismiss such characters as "diversity hires" or "shoehorning", they expect everyone who isn't white and male to be able to identify with the sort of white male heroes he damn well expects to see.

by Anonymousreply 74July 4, 2022 9:21 PM

Supposedly a scene was cut from the finale in which Ms. Marvel flies a plane into Stark Tower.

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2022 9:23 PM

Wtf was this latest episode? First half was unnecessary filler and the second half was insane with the amount of story crushed in to 10 minutes. Really bad pacing.

by Anonymousreply 76July 7, 2022 6:12 AM

Does she use her superpowers to get herself out of being forced into an arranged marriage with her cousin?

by Anonymousreply 77July 7, 2022 6:33 AM

[quote]I quit watching because she never learns! And keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. And her father is very annoying! It just wasn't worth it.

I can say the exact same thing about Mrs. Maisel!

by Anonymousreply 78July 7, 2022 6:34 AM

I have to admit that the latest one is probably the weakest one. However, the family backstory, what really happened at the train station, was nice. I assume the Djinn conflict is resolved? If so, a bit underwhelming. But I am excited about the next episode, which was nicely set up in the last few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 79July 7, 2022 6:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!