Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I don't know what the hell I said that made Alexa randomly start whispering.

But the bitch better not EVER do this shit again. Had me creeping around my house looking for the source of this mysterious noise like I'm in an Alfred Hitchcock film; about to call 911 on a damn Amazon Echo and shit. This is too much. My nerves are bad. I'm throwing this damn thing out.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 4:50 AM

There’s a homeless guy in my neighborhood who walks up and down the block cursing loudly. And my Alexa responds to him. Sometimes at 3 o’clock in the morning. Scares the shit out of me when she does that.

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2022 4:52 AM

Amazon is spying on you and you are paying them to do it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2022 6:08 AM

^ Sigh. Here we go...

by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2022 6:10 AM

r1 You need to move.

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2022 6:11 AM

The whispering is coming from inside the house!!!

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2022 6:12 AM

OP, are you also offended by Boy Scouts Molestation commercials?

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2022 6:32 AM

r6 Lol wut?

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2022 6:50 AM

She's just not that into you.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2022 6:54 AM

ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ'ᵗ ᵘˢᵉ ᵐʸ ʳᵉᵍᵘˡᵃʳ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ: ᴵʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵃ ᶜᵒˡᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴵ ˡᵒˢᵗ ᵐʸ ᵛᵒᶦᶜᵉ

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2022 7:00 AM

^how did you format that text to look like that?

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2022 2:46 AM

I wouldn’t have one of those things in my house

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2022 2:51 AM

The Chinese are on the other side, you know.

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2022 2:54 AM

OP kick that bitch out!

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2022 3:15 AM

I want to hear all the spooky Alexa stories. Whispering and yelling back to the homeless guy, those are good. What else?

by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2022 3:21 AM

Alexa is TERRIFYING.

There are so many creepy stories about her. The most frightening are when she makes these bizarre unprompted pronouncements or when she just starts laughing for no apparent reason.

Alexa can also apparently turn herself on and off on her own.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2022 3:23 AM

r13 I unplugged it.

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2022 10:07 PM

Someone gifted me Alexa for my birthday, and I refuse to use it. It sits in the garage collecting spider eggs, and dust.

by Anonymousreply 17June 14, 2022 10:12 PM

I have a routine where I say to Alexa “Echo, good night” and she turns off the lights and plays a thunderstorm track to help me sleep. I said it last night and instead of running the routine, she said “Thanks! You too!”

What the hell is this bitch doing??

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 11:10 AM

She’s watching you sleep r10

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2022 1:55 AM

One time I was watching Jeopardy and someone said something like “Who is Beyoncé?” And my echo proceeded to tell me EVERYTHING about Beyoncé and I’m shouting “Echo, STOP!!’ And she wouldn’t.

She talks back to the tv all the time. I’m not sure what she’s hearing that triggers her, but i think she’s just lonely and wants to talk sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2022 4:03 AM

A HEX A

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2022 4:11 AM

Girl, throw her out now! Ain'it you seen what happens when Alexa gets pissed?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2022 4:16 AM

I’m ashamed to admit I own 3, plus the app on my phone and a fire tablet. She controls EVERYTHING in my house. My fucking washing machine is Alexa-enabled!

And I’ve had them so long I have “ghost routines”. Routines I created for vacations and for turning on the lights in the morning, that I deleted but she still does and I can’t find anyway to permanently delete them. I moved from the East Coast to Colorado so she turns on the lights at 4am. I can’t make her stop. And she turns on the lights at dusk and off at 11 pm even if I’m still up because that was a vacation setting that I deleted but she still does.

I’ve googled and you have to “nuke” your devices. There’s an Amazon website where you can see all devices, even old burnt out smart bulbs, and you have to delete everything, reset your Alexas to factory setting and then set everything up again.

It shouldn’t be this hard.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2022 4:27 AM

Go to Alexa app>Settings>Voice Response>Whisper Mode and turn it off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2022 4:29 AM

Why isn't there an Alex? That would be nice, unless he gets snippy.

"You really going to eat all that!? All riilliight..."

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 4:32 AM

"^how did you format that text to look like that?"

It's the third shift DL Moderator.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 4:36 AM

You said, “Alexa, randomly whisper.”

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2022 4:36 AM

You can give her a make voice, R25.

Siri on my phone is male and British. But for some reason, everything British male Siri says sounds sarcastic. I swear the other day I asked him to shuffle my music in the car and he sighed and said “Alright, shuffling your music 🙄”. Like I was bothering him while he had better stuff to do.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2022 4:40 AM

What creeps me out is when I can't sleep and I'm lying in bed with my eyes closed thinking, and I see a bright flash through my closed eyelids. I open my eyes and it's Alexa on the shelf with a bright white light on. It's only on for like 5 seconds, then the little blue ring will partly circle, like she's shrugging, and she turns her white light off and goes back to sleep.

It's like she wakes up and listens every 20 minutes or so to be sure she isn't missing anything. Her white 'bedroom spying flash' reminds me of a snake when it sticks its tongue out to analyze its surroundings.

She had me thinking I was going blind for awhile until I caught her ass in the act, because I Googled "seeing white flashes eyes closed" and some of the results said it was a symptom of going blind!

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2022 4:40 AM

I have the echo show 5 and on Mother’s Day she started streaming pics of my dead mom. I almost burst into tears and immediately disabled her access to my Facebook account. Now I just get random facts and upcoming Amazon show ads.

I’d like it to be personalizable, but with limits. Like not rubbing in that my dead mom wasn’t gonna be there for lunch!

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2022 4:46 AM

OMG These stories are awesome and terrifying. Siri activated and decided to send a voice text of me talking to my dog in that embarrassing way we do when we are alone and sent it to my friend.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2022 4:52 AM

Siri is a grade A cunt! I had a work iPhone with 5,000 contacts and 100 personal contacts (and work knew that I used it as my personal phone. I told them I wasn’t carrying two phones if they were forcing one on me).

The first time I asked Siri to create a calendar event I said “Schedule dinner with Jennifer at 8 pm on Saturday” thinking it would go on my calendar. NO. She picked a stranger, a random Jennifer out of 5,000 contacts, and *emailed* her an invitation to dinner.

Another time I asked Siri “Where can I get waffles around here?” She said “Ok, calling Wafaa El-Sadr”. Wafaa El-Sadr is one of the most famous HIV researchers in the world. Way, way, way above taking calls from me about where to get waffles. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 6:04 AM

Have the Ying Yang Twins weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2022 6:06 AM

I use my 3 Echo Dots in sort of non-standard ways. That doesn't include any sort of home automation, which I do exclusively on a phone app. Alexa just adds a layer of complexity to this task, I found. No ghost routines, either.

Instead, I program daily reminders, alarms and appointments, set timers for cooking, and stream podcasts and internet radio streams thru external speakers. Also, most anything I own in my Kindle library can be read aloud, and all that audio content is fantastic while I work around the house. One even feeds a small ('FCC Part 15') FM transmitter, so I can listen in while I garden. The Echos replaced a Reciva internet radio that quit working last year when the service went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2022 6:35 AM

[quote]Instead, I program daily reminders, alarms and appointments, set timers for cooking.

Same, but the alarms and reminders can easily become ghost routines too. It’s not just the lights. Alexa is just flawed and it remembers EVERYTHING. A one-time alarm can become a repeating headache way too easily.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2022 7:00 AM

This didn’t happen to me, but there was a rash of Alexa’s that would just start randomly laughing that were creeping people the fuck out. If mine did it, I’d have unplugged her and thrown her away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2022 7:15 AM

Haven't we had other threads recently about Alexa's suddenly weird behavior creeping people out?

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2022 7:23 AM

Ok, creating more there for DL.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2022 8:37 AM

Thank god Echo Show changed the display art when summer began. It only cycles through like six paintings. I’m sure there are more but it feels like six.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2022 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!