Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The ugliness of contemporary Washington DC

Ceaușescu‘S Bucharest designed by Cesar Pelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 2:51 PM

A few things:

1) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's DC. The buildings are too tall. Is that supposed to be the Potomac at the end of the block? (I'd also say I don't recognize it, but I've been gone for awhile.)

2) There are other streets and avenues and vistas with gorgeous buildings. This picture, wherever and whatever it is, is not a good representation of DC architecture.

3) No resident of DC has ever raved about the summer weather.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 1:28 PM

That is DC's new Navy Yard with the newly opened Douglass bridge in the background.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 1:40 PM

[QUOTE] The buildings are too tall.

No, they’re not. This is M Street Southeast in Navy Yard.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 1:58 PM

Yeah this new DC, a lot of new buildings going up in the area. The traditional scenic part of DC has the older building charm.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 2:23 PM

Okay, thanks all. Obviously I've been gone too long.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 2:27 PM

Its hardly isolated to the Navy Yard, all of Connecticut Ave bw the White House and Dupont looks like this.

Boston’s Seaport district looks similarly dreary, due to height limits because of nearby Logan Airport.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 2:30 PM

Contemporary DC treads a line between cheap and boring so as not to offend the tender sensibilities of taxpayers.

In previous generations, the masses approved of grandeur.

Now, not so much,

That said, there are plenty of sensible buildings that do their job without too many bells and whistles, and the pre-1980s stuff still has an imposing air.

DC's best architecture predates WWII and there is a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 2:45 PM

Most North American cities have a lot of drab buildings. Move to the beach or the mountains if you’re looking for beauty.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 2:49 PM

R8, most cities have a lot of drab buildings.

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!