Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mental Exhaustion

I’m really at a tipping point with the amount of daily stress and struggle I deal with every day. Most days I leave work mentally and physically exhausted. Even with a return to office, everything still feels very intense and regimented. Nothing ever feels relaxed or spontaneous, and everyone seems to be either in a hurry or going through the motions.

I don’t expect life to be a conga party, and I’m a hard worker, but it doesn’t seem like there is much latitude for humanity in the world. Am I the only one feeling this way?

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2022 4:35 AM

The world is getting much colder and dehumanizing. Hugs op . You’re not alone

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 11:41 AM

I feel the same way but differently in the sense I have to deal with bullshit passive aggressive people. I mentally annoyed and can't wait to quit. Resignation here I come.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 11:50 AM

Get a gun and go shopping.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 11:50 AM

Feel the same way OP.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 12:06 PM

The corporate world is exhausting me. The internal competition, the constant hypocrisy about caring about employees' wellbeing, or the diversity bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 12:10 PM

I am mentally and physically exhausted and hate getting up in the morning. All I do when I am not at work is worry and fret about the next time I have to report. Oh, and I drink and smoke copious amounts of pot but even that doesn't help anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 12:27 PM

OP here. I swear if I get another email about tips on stress management, or a virtue signaling diversity event that does nothing more than give lip service to a cause—and window dressing to the company—I’m going to scream. Stop over leveraging and micromanaging your workforce into the ground if you want to do good for humanity.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 12:40 PM

Life’s too short to spend it like that OP. I know it’s easier to say than do, but get looking for something else. Get the resume sorted, lots of useful job hunting info online, maybe try a recruitment agency. Feeling stuck is the worst thing, start the process of escape and the present might be a bit more tolerable. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to stay in whatever area you are in or try for something different. Transferable skills is a cliche but they are real. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 12:41 PM

R1 is Cheryl's sister.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 12:43 PM

OP, you're going to work. Not a party. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 12:53 PM

OP, I hear ya and feel ya. No, you are NOT alone. A person can be earnest about wanting to contribute to and advance their company's goals. A person can be laser-focused and have the vision and work ethic to make this happen. But politics, communication gaps, relationships (the boss's son or niece will ALWAYS be anointed), unforeseen factors such as COVID, and most importantly, the general lowness of human nature will thwart your pureness of heart. Sigh.

I hear more and more from people who come out of a religious perspective that as God's children we were never intended to work in the rigid systems in which we so freely participate Just sayin'...

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 1:05 PM

Saying that the problem is immaturity or a lack of a work ethic is a stupid argument. Working hard every day is fine and expected. It’s just the amount of stress and anxiety we are called to tolerate is crazy after the last two years. It’s like they saw how much we’d tolerate so they are taking it to the next level.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 1:12 PM

OP, you are preaching to the choir. Definitely look for other work while the job market is still hot. I've had jobs since I was 12 and I am just sick of it. As well, technology should have eased our workweek but the PTB have just used it as an opportunity to cram more into the week.

I am fairly blessed with a decent workplace and co-workers but am just so tired of the grind.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 3:05 PM

Unless you love your work, it should not be the focal point of your life. If you love animals, get a pet or volunteer with a shelter or rescue group -- if you love literature, volunteer at a library or as a tutor -- if you love politics, work on a campaign. When your job sucks, treat it as just another chore to be completed today, like grocery shopping or taking out the garbage -- reserve your real energy for whatever it is that fulfills you and gives life meaning.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 3:39 PM

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 3:46 PM

Dear God corporate work for me was an ordeal. When I wasn't working, being it evenings, weekends , holidays and vacations I couldn't even enjoy things I used to love to do. I had to sleep or be quiet and still just to recharge batteries for returning to work to deal with the battering that didn't stop..

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 3:47 PM

I no longer want to work at 34, so I’ve resigned to make my exit after I deplete my savings. Deciding between a tall parking garage and a “Naomi” is a tough choice. You need more courage for the latter, but if you do it right, it’s by far the fastest.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 3:58 PM

R17, maybe you can get disability for depression or get public assistance.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 4:45 PM

I'm the same boat as OP. Utterly mentally exhausted. And I work for myself, which is not a panacea.

You have a bit more freedom over yourself, but people feel just as entitled to exploit you, demanding work that's beyond the scope or just refusing to pay.

Life has been a grind since the pandemic started. There's work, and TV, and nothing else. Now transmission rates are back to high and I feel like I can't date, or go to the gym, or even meet a friend for coffee without risking COVID. I already have long COVID symptoms from another bout and don't want to get it again.

I sleep 12 hours a day these days. Why get up? There's nothing to do but work and be confronted with depressing headlines. Even DL, which has been a source of comfort to me for decades, is awash in endless anti-trans and stealth racist threads. It's exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2022 4:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!