Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Know you could have played Michelle Obama?

Deborah Cox. She's a dead ringer for Michelle.

Too bad she's not an actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 8:21 AM

I love her. She was fun in the Bodyguard musical.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 5:19 AM

Mrs Chewbacca

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 5:25 AM

Is she not an actress? I've never read a review of her musical play endeavors.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 5:27 AM

Excuuuuuuuse me?

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 5:27 AM

She does act, usually in Hallmark type films so nothing ‘serious’. No idea if she’s any good though.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 5:30 AM

Foul, r2.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 5:31 AM

Who doesn't love Deborah Cox?

Viola was too much fire power to portray a person so alive in the public consciousness.

It's a losing gig to play Michelle Obama.

I think that Kristen Johnson would have done an ok job of it. Or maybe even Jennifer Coolidge?

This was a part for the gifted buy unrewarded Gabrielle Union.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 6:24 AM

[Quote] Who doesn't love Deborah Cox?

Most of the record buying public?

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 6:45 AM

You're a contrary old white male cunt though, R8. Deborah Cox is one of our girls. She is LOVED.

What's a record buyer? You sho is OLD, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 6:53 AM

Actually, Deborah is an actress. She has pretty much moved from music to acting and mixes both occasionally. She was on the second season of the First Wives Club and she was actually quite funny in it. Her verbal sparring with Jill Scott's character was fun. She also does a lot of the touring shows like the Bodyguard musical and plays geared towards Black audiences. She's also been in a few BET movies. I don't know if Deborah is a great actress but, yes, I could see her playing Michelle.

I remember interviewing her at an award show back in the late '90s. She's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 7:10 AM

Cox wouldn't even be considered for the role with Pfeiffer and Anderson as her counterparts. There are so few black actresses who have received the star building treatment.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 7:11 AM

Pfeiffer and Anderson are almost as bad as Viola in The First Ladies bullshit. It's a terrible show that has received disastrous reviews. So there is no need to dismiss Deborah Cox as any part of this utter SHITE. They would be lucky to have her it seems.

How many actresses have played Jacqueline Kennedy? From soap stars to superstars. Either the vehicle and portrayal are good or not. Sometimes one without the other. And Jackie Kennedy was a fucking wall eyed ghost chick anyway. So was Natalie Portman better playing her than the girl from KMart? None of it matters. History is arresting. Michelle Obama will tell you that she likes Beyonce and Deborah Cox better. Viola is not Michelle's kind of woman.

Stop shitting on Deborah Cox though. She's a beautiful woman, a great singer and better than Viola Davis at just about everything. Deborah can blow her own nose!

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 7:36 AM

Making note of Deborah Cox's standing is not shitting on her. She was poised for stardom but she didn't quite get there. She went from singing with Whitney Houston to singing Whitney's songs on a TV movie soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 7:52 AM

Viola is producer. But she let her ego get in the way, thinking she should play Michelle when she was all wrong for it. Deborah Cox or Regin King would have been better. Their look and demeanor are closer to Michelle Obama's than Viola's.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 7:55 AM

Or maybe Laverne Cox, she's got the height too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 7:57 AM

Not being able to act hasn't stopped some from describing themselves as ‘actresses’.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 8:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!