Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you pay $50 million to live in Irvine, CA?

Views are nice, but no view of the ocean, which to me defeats living in Socal with that much money (at have a least a view of the ocean in the distance beyond the city). Decor is all over the place. Who buys this? It's like a B&B or inn. Is this location "good"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 3:55 PM

I grew up in Orange County and I can remember when Irvine was nothing but orange groves. It makes me deeply sad to see Irvine now. It's all city.

As kids we used to tell tales in the dark of "Old Lady Irvine" and scare the wits out of each other. We suggested that we could see her face in the dark. We would usually run out of the room screaming.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 5:30 AM

Not everyone can have a view of the ocean!

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 3:22 PM

I feel like an 'I like blue' would be appropriate for this thread and house.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 3:28 PM

I'm not from the area, but I don't think of Irvine as a prestigious address. One of the Lagunas maybe? Newport Beach seems ritzy to me but I don't picture it having those hilltop (fire trap) kinds of addresses.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 3:34 PM

Lindsay Davenport, ex-tennis player, who is from Orange County, has homes in Irvine AND Laguna Beach -- interesting variation on city house-country/beach house given how close they are to each other. She has the money to do it and maybe it makes sense given the traffic, but it still surprises me, especially considering she and her husband have a crib in Hawaii too.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 3:50 PM

Newport Beach itself is pretty flat, but has hills around it. Basically any house in California that is adjacent to open woodland or brush land is at risk for wildfire, so this house is no exception. I hope they built it as fireproof as possible, which means concrete construction.

During the 36 years I lived in San Diego, there were 2 times that wildfire threatened our house; though we never had to evacuate, it was still scary.

In 1993 there was a devastating fire in the hills overlooking Laguna Beach, which destroyed or damaged 400 homes. And just a few days ago, another fire destroyed 20 very expensive homes on a ridge in Laguna Niguel, which is not far from Irvine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 3:53 PM

Only there would they take an old base with hundreds of acres and try to make it into a park, and completely fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 3:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!