Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did gays and lesbians become “privileged?”

I seem to have missed the memo on this, but I’ve seen more and more articles about gays being privileged and needing to bow to the trans/nonbinary/queer crowd.

What’s even more irritating is that many of the younger gays and lesbians are rebranding themselves as “queer” so that they can continue to claim victimhood.

Even more insidious are the gay white men who rebrand themselves as “nonbinary” so that they can bash other gay white men.

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote] What’s even more irritating is that many of the younger gays and lesbians are rebranding themselves as “queer” so that they can continue to claim victimhood.

Don't forget the "bi" thing.

When GenZ claims to be bi, then they are considered to be "cool" and "edgy."

You know, because it's all about status.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 3:01 AM

GenZ is full of gay baiters.

They fake being bisexual for attention. Or clicks. Or views on their social media page.

Mind you, they're not really bi. Especially the "bros."

They just want you to think they are, so you'll notice them. And maybe even throw some dollars at them.

Fucking whores.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 3:03 AM

It's a generation thing I guess?

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 3:15 AM

Fuck off OP- another angle to dehumanize transgender human beings. The key words are human beings. You are a clueless bigot. Nothing you state is true or real.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 3:22 AM

Once the Trans had taken over our media and organizations they needed to kick us out so we were smeared as "the problem".

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 3:27 AM

R4 is our resident angry tranny.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 3:38 AM

It’s offensive. White gay men are truly the “enemy” in some LGBTQIA circles, and that insane and toxic idea is going mainstream. It’s essentially the driving plot of A Strange Loop. It’s also now the editorial purview of Out magazine. Or just check out any of the corporate pride campaigns that are starting to drop. Every single model is trans, NB, POC, and largely styled in a cartoonish way. A white gay man who looks like a person you would want to be seen with in public is essentially nonexistent.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 2:50 PM

Poor white gay men lol. Y'all are like your Trumper "bros" - can't be bothered to understand others' experiences but can be bothered when you aren't No. 1.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 2:54 PM

No one is asking to be “number one,” R8. In fact, the idea that you see it as some sort of a ranking tells me everything I need to know.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 3:04 PM

Gay men and women ARE No.1, R8. Trans, enby's, non-binaries and the other idiots are passing trends, picked up by idiotic, empty-minded people trying (and failing, utterly) to make themselves seem interesting.

There WILL be a backlash (particularly against the trans, when a generation of people realize they were encouraged by therapists and doctors to physically and hormonally mutilate themselves to try to become something they aren't) and they and their objectives will all be gone like the wind.

Gay men and women RULE, and all of the mentally ill other letters need to fuck outta the acronym.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 3:06 PM

Our movement has committed one of the biggest unforced errors. We were at a place where being gay and lesbian would never again be controversial in any way that would matter. Sure, there would always be the bigots and the crazies, but they were becoming very irrelevant. But then our organizations, needing a cash cow after marriage, went all in on ideas that the American public not only did not support, but really hadn’t even considered before. It took people decades to consider the new idea of marriage equality before getting behind it, but for some reason ideas like a man becoming a literal woman just by self-declaration, people having no gender at all, and trans athletes competing as a man one year and then a woman the next became something that had to now be accepted fully and without question, or else you’re a Nazi. These groups like GLAAD have miscalculated, thinking the online trans activism world is real life. It’s not.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 3:18 PM

It's not new. Since the beginning of the gay rights movement, people have criticized the white gays of means who were wedded to the idea of using respectability politics to get ahead, i.e. they wanted to ice out anyone who was gay or lesbian (or, later, bi or trans) who wasn't the right kind of person, focusing on only successful, mostly white men of a specific socioeconomic class. Critics say that this basically throws the LGBTs who aren't the "right kind" under the bus, in favor of a more heteronormative kind of gay and lesbian who was seen by the rest of society as being "good enough"

It's talked about in both Milk and The Life and Times of Harvey Milk, so it's not like you have to be a gay of a certain age to know about it.

The Vito Russo documentary has an extended scene of a gay pride event where everyone is given a chance to air their grievances, and this was 50 years ago and people were saying the same thing. Lesbians were saying gay men were sexist and trans people were hijacking the movement. Gays were saying lesbians were a liability because women just didn't have enough rights to be effective allies for the gays, and trans were all "Puerto Rican hookers" and made the movement look bad. Trans said they had done a lot of work in post-Stonewall events and weren't being given credit for it because they weren't seen as "good enough."

None of this is new. None of it. You can choose to believe what you want, but if you choose to believe that a recent shift to caring about trans has ruined everything for us, you need to at least know that you're believing a lie. That's your business, but you should at least be aware of what you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 3:27 PM

The oppression Olympics crap that's so sexy to severely personality disordered, overly online queers is branching out into other communities. They increasingly (and unconvincingly) pantomime physical disability while trying to dominate discourse in those groups. They adopt these identities because they're easily weaponized and no polite person will question their authenticity.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 3:28 PM

When did straight women take over this site? That’s what I want know!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 3:32 PM

'None of this is new. None of it. You can choose to believe what you want, but if you choose to believe that a recent shift to caring about trans has ruined everything for us, you need to at least know that you're believing a lie.'

How is this shift towards a person simply declaring they are of the opposite sex which is ruining everything for us exactly a lie?

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 3:37 PM

The Trans are a teeny part of the movement by headcount, and most refuse to get a job, so it's not like they'd ever actually contribute cash money to a gay or lesbian organization, even a transified one. No, instead they are perpetual victims demanding to be fully supported by disability-like government handouts!

Gay organizations are scaring off gays and lesbians who support them financially, trans don't have money (nor would they support an evil GAY organization), so increasingly the Trans agenda is supported by people who crave it most, straight white liberals. I'd imagine this does not bode well for your average non-dysphoric gay or lesbian person.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 3:41 PM

There's no way you can prove that everything would be hunky dory for gays if trans had just stopped existing, r15.

In fact, there are countless examples of both the right and the far right campaigning against gay rights well after Obergefell. There was never a moment when it was perfectly fine to be gay with no discrimination anymore, as evidenced by all the local and state laws about employers being allowed to discriminate against gays that popped up after Obergefell, states that still had anti-gay marriage laws, etc.

We can see now in current legislation that they include sexual orientation along with gender identity, showing that this is not an anti-trans movement by the right, but a movement against LGB and T.

You can claim that things were fine until the evil Transtapo arrived or however you usually word it, but that's not true, and that's why you have no evidence to back your claim up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 3:43 PM

I'm old enough to remember when "Paris Is Burning" came out and there was a kind of bullshit argument in gay circles about whether the movie was "good" for the gays.

The Andrew Sullivans of the world told us that showing off men in dresses and poor-looking black people would make the vast white middle of the country hate us (more), while if gays like Andrew (wearing sweaters, being white, speaking in dependent clauses) would reassure the vast white middle of the country that gays were Just Like Us.

Other people said "Fuck you Andrew Sullivan, these bitches are fierce survivors and you should thank the ones who couldn't pass for taking the hits that allow assimilationists like you have it easier."

I know which ones I agree with.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 3:48 PM

Count me among the gay men who have completely checked out of a movement I used to support with considerable time and money.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 3:56 PM

Whoever said things were fine or honkey dory? Right there your claim to this being a lie is shot to hell. I've always said the achievements that were accomplished over a half a century were very fragile. And now those achievements are being destroyed simply for the legal right for people to claim with no basis they are of the opposite sex. How amazing that you think such things should be written in stone. And I did not come up with the word transtapo but whoever did hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2022 3:56 PM

[quote]I did not come up with the word transtapo

Jesus that's like a sea of red flags....

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 4:07 PM

[quote]Count me among the gay men who have completely checked out of a movement I used to support with considerable time and money.

"It was fine for a while, but then they started paying attention to black people and I bad to go..."

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2022 4:11 PM

Oh shut up, R22. That’s not the issue and you fucking know it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 4:43 PM

R12, The respectability debate used to be about gay men being seen us to oversexed or flamboyant. That is far different from a movement that’s telling healthy young teenage girls to chop off their breasts.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2022 4:44 PM

OP here. Why am I not surprised that almost everyone missed the point of my post? The only reason I brought up gay white men is because I think it’s disgusting that so many gay white men are now labeling themselves as “nonbinary” so they can claim not to be a man and bash other gay white men.

Second, why does everybody on this thread act like it’s simply gay white men versus the TQ+? Have any of you even bothered to ask a gay black man or a gay Asian man or a gay Latino man what he thinks about trans and nonbinary people taking over the community? My own partner is Asian and laughs at “nonbinary” people.

This is a classic example of people believing that racial minorities are incapable of having their own opinions.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2022 4:59 PM

OP, why are you assuming that every respondent here is a white man?

(for the record, I am a white man, but I'm not making assumptions about anyone else)

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2022 5:09 PM

R26 I didn’t. Read my post. I’m not saying I think everyone responding is a white man. I’m saying that people on this thread are making assumptions that all gay men of color are automatically aligned with the TQ+.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2022 5:14 PM

I’m not reading it that way, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2022 5:16 PM

R28 well, then you’re an idiot who can’t read.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2022 5:18 PM

Gen z is the woke bully gen and does the far rights work for them.

This is all caused by being extremely online and having no organic real life experiences.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2022 5:22 PM

Not really related to this post, but for what it’s worth, I have noticed that the gay men of color who scream the most about white privilege always, and without exception, have a white boyfriend/partner/husband. Which leads me to believe that the reason they complain about “white privilege” so much is because they want it, and the best shot they have at getting white privilege is to marry into it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2022 6:04 PM

OP I don't think anyone is assuming posters are all white. I think many are leaning into the narrative that white gay men are evil monsters who must be destroyed.

Not sure whether the claim has any merit or not, but the rate in which it's ascended to Verified Fact within the LGBT+ hyena crowd has been alarming.

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2022 6:18 PM

R32 And I think it’s funny, in a tragic way, that the mainstream gay rights organizations like HRC and GLAAD are alienating gay white men. Where the hell do they think their donations are coming from? From trans women of color spreading their legs to pay for their surgery?

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]the mainstream gay rights organizations like HRC and GLAAD are alienating gay white men.

They are? You've surveyed all gay white men and they feel alienated? Why? Because these orgs are paying too much attention to black people and trans people?

And not enough to white people?

Is that a thing you really want to say?

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2022 8:27 PM

R33, you'd be surprised. Even though many gays (such as myself) are much more discerning these days as to where they might give money, many others aren't. They give reflexively to organizations they've always donated to. Maybe that will change? Who knows.

I had a conversation with a very intelligent gay man. Great guy. Better friend. Love him. Somehow we started discussing Lia Thomas. He said, and I (almost) quote: I know it's technically wrong, but I don't care about sports. And sports isn't life or death. So why should I care?

When I said: It's cheating. It's wrong. Sport is firstly about body, not feelings. He just shrugged. I have no doubt he'll continue giving to gay organizations who think similarly.

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2022 8:54 PM

It's funny. I was talking to a friend. Great guy. Love him. Makes a lot of money.

Anyway - Lia Thomas didn't come up because she can live her life and do what the fuck she wants!

But, besides that, totally believable anecdote, babe. Love you!

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2022 9:15 PM

R34. No stupid. These organizations are trying to pit gay white men against the rest of the TQ+ community. It’s not an issue of “paying too much attention to black people.” It’s an issue of paying too much attention to the TQ+ instead of gays. They are biting the hand that feeds them by bowing to and worshipping the TQ+ and kicking the gays aside. And I doubt that either of these organizations have bothered to ask gay black men if they even want to be associated with the TQ+.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2022 9:18 PM

How are they pitting gay white men against...who? You don't make any sense.

If HRC and whoever drop advocacy for trans issues (and it's trans people who are in the crosshairs of a nationwide hate campaign), then what should they be doing?

Decorating tips?

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2022 9:25 PM

R38 Oh, gee I don’t know. Maybe help HIV positive gay men with no access to healthcare? Work on gay rights across the globe? Anything besides validating the delusions of the pronoun freaks?

by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2022 9:37 PM

Are they not doing that now?

A push for access to healthcare should be for everyone, not just poz ppl.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2022 11:50 PM

R40 and LGBTQ organizations should be only for the TQ+? Not the original gays who started everything?

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2022 12:03 AM

Huh, R36? What does money have to do with anything? Weird.

Anyway. it's cool if you don't discuss current events with your friends. But there are many of us who do.

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2022 12:11 AM

Imagine the following scenario:

A group of women get together to discuss their concern over abortion and reproductive rights, and they start an organization to support this cause. One day, a bunch of men show up and say that they want to join the organization because they want to spread awareness about testicular cancer. Confused, the women look at each other and then ask “what does this have to do with the issue at hand?”

Next thing you know, Planned Parenthood spends most of its time advocating for men with testicular cancer, and women are recategorized as “vaguely strange.”

Welcome to the LGBTQ community.

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2022 12:30 AM

It's cool if you're so brain-poisoned by your anti-trans resentment that. you force your opinions on your "friend" (in a convo that *totally happened and isn't at all made up by you) who clearly doesn't want to talk about it, but some of us don't.

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2022 9:35 AM

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we're mostly seen as childless professionals. In other words, we're supposed to have lots of money and only ourselves to spend it on.

While some gays are privileged financially and due to their race , they're not privileged from a social point of view.

What really gets me are the straight white women who claim a few trans people are oppressing them to the point that they're second class citizens. Pull the other one - it's got bells on.

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2022 9:46 AM

Are women really being recategorized as "vaguely strange"? By who? Where?

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2022 9:52 AM

R46 By “vaguely strange” I was poking fun at the younger gays that are calling themselves “queer” to be edgy, and also at the gay rights organizations that are now calling all gays and lesbians “queer” whether they want to be called that or not.

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2022 3:27 PM

Gay white men and white lesbians generally have an easier time of things, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2022 3:30 PM

It's certainly easier to pass. For instance, they can be teachers in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2022 4:37 PM

R44, I've clearly struck a nerve! Not sure what brain poisoned means exactly. I like the term however!

I'm certainly not anti-trans. That's just a buzz word people use who aren't quite intellectually motivated to speak or discern with depth. But if that's what you have to think about me to get through the day? By all means do so. It won't be even close to accurate. But that's okay.

At any rate, you take care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2022 4:46 PM

I'm going to have to think of a snappy name for the "Tediously Verbose Troll Who Pretends To Be Above It All".

You're comically transparent with your bullshit.

Enjoy talking to your cats!

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2022 5:01 PM

My cat talks back

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2022 5:10 PM

[quote]I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we're mostly seen as childless professionals. In other words, we're supposed to have lots of money and only ourselves to spend it on.

You would think every gay man is a white collar professional who lives in a major city, which is such a crock of shit. Gay people live all over the US, many in rural/suburban areas and they do not work in white collar fields.

by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2022 5:28 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2022 6:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!