Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever flown on a private plane?

Do you avoid all of the airport nonsense and just go straight to the hanger?

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 11:55 PM

Depends how big the private airport you’re flying from is. For smaller airports, yes, you just drive straight to the hanger and walk on the plane. For bigger ones you have to check in with a security first and then drive to the FBO (it stands for fixed base operator and it’s just like a mini terminal of sorts for the private planes) or straight to the tarmac to the plane. This is how it has worked in my experience, at least.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 3:06 AM

Why yes I have. Though as R1 mentions there are various scenarios. I have had to check in at a desk of some sort for all the private flights I have been on. Living in the west I try to give JSX a shot at flying when I can. Kind of gives you that feeling of flying privately. But I know it isn’t, like “semi-custom homes” are no way custom homes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 3:47 AM

Do you guys fly private often or just occasionally?

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 12:14 PM

In GA, when you're flying private, you have access to the airfield. Generally, you walk up to the plane and board while it's parked.

When coming back into the country, you fly into the first US airport with immigration facilities. The USBP boards the aircraft, looks at your passport and you are then on your way.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 12:24 PM

When I have flown on a private plane it has been from smaller airports and we board the plane outdoors- not in a hanger. I recall Westchester airport has a waiting lobby- seats etc- small.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 12:44 PM

Yes, Charlie mirrors my experience too. When you’re at a smaller airplane with access to the hanger, you perhaps will park your car in the hanger, but the pilot has already taken out and readied the plane right outside. Sorry, I wasn’t clearly about that. When I talked about checking in with “security” at bigger airports it’s still not full-blown security— usually you just have to drive up to a gatehouse, say your name and know the tail number of your plane and then they let you through. I’ve never travelled privately overseas so that’s interesting to hear about.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 9:32 PM

We prefer private to avoid the glare of the paparazzi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 9:39 PM

They weigh you for the smaller private planes. So don't think that caftan is hiding any secrets.

The even smaller private planes don't have a private terlit. You are lucky if you get a screen or a curtain.

The super smaller private planes. Not making this up. You lift up one of the designated seats. No curtain.

The teeny planes (puddle jumpers) don't have fuck all, but they are usually very short flights. Just hold it or shit in the barf bag.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 10:18 PM

During the war in Croatia we'd just drive by the fucking bombed out air terminal mindful of the broken glass and debris all over the place and right up to the plane. Very efficient

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 10:27 PM

R8, why do you need to shit so often?

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 10:31 PM

First of all, its "hangar," not hanger.

Anyway, yes, I've flown a private plane several times. Maybe ten seats. And yes, they do ask for everybody's weights, at least on the planes I rode.

You don't need to go through TSA, etc.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 10:31 PM

If small planes have so much privacy, can't they smuggle illegal stuff?

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 10:33 PM

Corporate aircraft, yes, many times. Private, no.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote] If small planes have so much privacy, can't they smuggle illegal stuff?

Yes, that would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 10:42 PM

Once. It was wonderful.

Without all the on- and offboarding bullshitc, just hop in and out, straight into a waiting car… my god, what a way to travel.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 10:43 PM

Boy the wealthy sure live on a different planet...

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 10:46 PM

I've always flown from small airports or private runways when I've been on private planes, never a metro airport. Only domestic in the US. It's always been easy and fast. Well, smaller planes don't go as fast.

I've also kept such flights to shorter distances.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 11:08 PM

R16, in my case, I flew in a small, non-glamorous chartered plane (for work). I consider that a "private" plane. For some reason, I'm not that scared to fly in small planes, but my coworkers were chicken. Also, I was one of the lighter (weight) people, so, I was the "preferred" flyer.

Actually, one of the planes that I used to ride crashed. I was pissed after that because my coworkers were so chicken and I could have been on that plane.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 11:20 PM

With my sugar daddy in 2014

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 11:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!