Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which trio of actresses do you prefer: Hepburn/Davis/Crawford vs Streep/Lange/Close

Between these two trios of legendary actresses, which do you prefer? The classics or the contemporary?

by Anonymousreply 88May 22, 2022 1:30 AM

I liked the Lange/Keaton/Spacek film.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 2:11 AM

Ullmann/Andersson/Thulin

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 2:21 AM

Terrible comparison, OP. Joan Crawford has no business being there. You can replace her with Vivien Leigh or Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 2:41 AM

Magnani/Masina/Vitti

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 2:57 AM

Barbra...and...oh, Barbra...and oh, Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 3:16 AM

I like Davis. I like Crawford, to a certain extent. Hepburn may have been the most skilled actress of the three, but she bores me.

The Streep-Lange-Close trio I can support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 3:28 AM

R6 Whoever composed that image of Meryl, Jessica, and Glenn really seems to hate Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 3:29 AM

The only reason Babs has an Oscar to her name is because she voted for herself.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 3:30 AM

Louise Brooks/Mary Pickford/Clara Bow

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 3:36 AM

Margaret Hamilton/Mary Wickes/Kathleen Freeman

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 3:55 AM

If we're going to suggest alternative trios then...

Vivien Leigh/Hedy Lamarr/Gene Tierney

Linda Darnell could sub in for one of them too.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 3:56 AM

I only enjoy Hepburn in the three films she and Cary Grant did together.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 4:51 AM

Marge/Selma/Patty

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 4:56 AM

I’m abstaining because you didn’t include DeWitt, Somers, and Barnes.

For shame. OP!!

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 5:13 AM

OP = risible attention-seeking OCD categorist.

Unless he expected fun snark!

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 5:16 AM

Give me a fucking break.

Hepburn/Davis/Crawford are so far ahead of the other trio that there is no competition here. There is no need for a poll to prove it, though Glenn at least as a couple of classics (Fatal Attraction & Dangerous Liaisons).

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 9:36 AM

I can't stand Joan Crawford. She looks so crazy that it distracts me to the point I miss the dialogue. Scary eyes. I find K H good, but sometimes irritating. Stop smiling! Bette Davis was great.

The second set of actresses --I like and respect them all. So I voted for them.

If I could make my own peer actress set: Susan Hayward/ Lucille Ball/ Gene Tierney

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 10:11 AM

Hatchet faced Lange can't get arrested on film. 20 years at least. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 10:21 AM

Barbra has two competitive Oscars, R8. For which do you assume she voted for herself? I would assume both times, but I could be wrong…

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 10:26 AM

Lawrence/Stone/Hathaway

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2022 10:29 AM

R20 Just no. I like Emma and Anne. But no. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 1:34 PM

Cher/Liza/Bette

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2022 2:08 PM

Entertainers that dabbled in acting.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 2:26 PM

Can you imagine Crawford in Fatal Attraction? Or Davis in American Horror Story? Or Hepburn in Death Becomes Her?

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2022 7:37 PM

More interesting is if you mixed the golden age actresses with the modern ones. E.g. : Hepburn/Lange vs Davis/Streep. I think that's more evenly matched.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2022 7:47 PM

Hepburn would probably be a better fit with Close since she picked Close as her successor, the way Davis picked Streep. And of course, Crawford picked Dunaway but we all know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2022 7:52 PM

R20 I'd be okay with Anne and Emma, but definitely not Weinstein's leman.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2022 7:53 PM

R19 I'm talking about her infamous tie with Hepburn in 1968 when the votes were evenly split. That only occurred because Babs voted for herself.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2022 7:54 PM

Stop comparing women. All women have the right to separate agency just like men do.

We have no threads comparing the male leads of their time, and on a gay site no less....because the competition doesn't matter today. Somehow it still matters how we view female actresses, singers, Girl Groups, etc. And that's because of casual sexism.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2022 7:55 PM

Streep/Close/Lange are three incredibly overrated actresses that possess the charisma of wet paint. I have no clue why they're so deified on DL - especially frau favorite Streep who has barely made any watchable films. There are better and more interesting actress in that age range. Sigourney Weaver, Sissy Spacek. Diane Keaton when she tried. I know DL hates Susan Sarandon, but she's fabulous on screen.

The actress from the generation just before them - Jane Fonda, Faye Dunaway, Gena Rowlands, Shirley MacLaine, Ellen Burstyn, Julie Christie, Maggie Smith were all leagues better in talent and/or star power. That's not even getting into foreign ones like Liv Ullmann, Jeanne Moreau, Catherine Deneuve...

At least Hepburn/Davis/Crawford, whatever you may think of their technical talents or lack thereof, were STARS in every sense with numerous classics under their belts.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2022 7:59 PM

R12 There are four Hepburn/Grant pairings - Sylvia Scarlett, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday and The Philadelphia Story.

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2022 4:30 AM

Why would you group Audrey Hepburn, Geena Davis, and Broderick Crawford together?

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2022 4:35 AM

Lana Turner/Susan Hayward/Natalie Wood

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2022 5:01 AM

Julia Roberts/ Julia Roberts/ Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2022 5:10 AM

Frances McDormand / Elizabeth Holmes / Patsy Ramsey

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2022 5:13 AM

R31 I'm not R12 but barely anyone knows about Sylvia Scarlett. Her comedies with Grant are the iconic movies and considered classics.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2022 5:44 AM

I can’t stand Hepburn so I went with the modem group.

But The Women and All About Eve are great.

Jessica has Frances and Tootsie.

Glenn has Fatal Attraction.

Meryl has over a dozen great movies, so the modern ladies win … from her.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2022 5:48 AM

Can't stand the "Great" Kate or Meryl (click...click...click). And what classics does Meryl even have besides Sophie's Choice (and that would only be considered a classic because of her performance, not the movie itself) and The Devil Wears Prada?

by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2022 6:05 AM

Meryl has Defending Your Life, Death Becomes Her, The Devil Wears Prada, Postcards from The Edge, Kramer v Kramer, Sophie’s Choice, The Deerhunter, Doubt, A Cry in the Dark, Julie and Julia, it’s Complicated, The Hours, Adaptation, The Post and probably others I am missing.

These are all great films for movie fans and must see movies for gaylings.

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2022 6:12 AM

R39 None of the are classics honey.

by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2022 6:15 AM

Of course they are. I forgot Silkwood.

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2022 6:17 AM

Silkwood is very easy to forget so that is understandable.

by Anonymousreply 42May 20, 2022 6:18 AM

I keep hearing Meryl fans claim Silkwood is one of her classics but I personally hadn't even heard of the movie until her fans kept bringing it up to validate Meryl's film career. Of course that's just my own personal experience, but whereas I've constantly heard about Sophie's Choice or Fatal Attraction in pop culture, I've never once heard anything about Silkwood.

by Anonymousreply 43May 20, 2022 6:36 AM

Agree with R40, that pretty much none of the movies that R39 brought up are classics. Death Becomes Her might be a camp classic in the gay community but it's not a classic in the true sense of the word. The Hours is best known for Nicole Kidman's Oscar win, not Meryl's performance. Even Julianne Moore got better reviews than Meryl from that movie. The Post seems as forgotten as Spotlight, an actual Oscar winning movie for Best Picture. Kramer vs Kramer is considered dated. Meryl just mugs for the camera in Julie and Julia and the new HBO show has only further affirmed that view.

The Devil Wears Prada is the only movie which I hear about in pop culture and which young people seem attuned with. And Sophie's Choice is in the vernacular so I guess that counts as well.

by Anonymousreply 44May 20, 2022 6:39 AM

R36 Just because “barely anyone” knows about Sylvia Scarlett doesn’t make R12’s statement correct. I agree SS isn’t very good, but it exists, nonetheless. And who knows? Perhaps R12 wasn’t aware of its existence, and might enjoy knowing about it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 20, 2022 7:15 AM

Hepburn and Cary Grant should have been in a lavender marriage/relationship instead of Hepburn and Tracy.

by Anonymousreply 46May 20, 2022 7:29 AM

Bad poll: I want Hepburn and Lange.

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2022 7:43 AM

Are any of the current crop of actresses inspired by Hepburn, Davis, Crawford, etc? I know Streep loves Davis and cites her as an inspiration. I think Glenn does that with Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2022 7:50 AM

[quote]I know DL hates Susan Sarandon, but she's fabulous on screen.

She's decent but she's not a great.

If I had to pick a top 10 from actresses born in the second half of the 1940s she wouldn't feature.

1945: Helen Mirren, Brenda Fricker, Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Mia Farrow, Linda Hunt

1946: Diane Keaton, Cher, Sally Fields, Susan Sarandon, Penelope Wilton, Charlotte Rampling, Liza Minnelli, Brenda Blethyn, Dianne Weist

1947: Glenn Close, Jacki Weaver, Mary Kay Place, Rula Lenska

1948: Kathy Bates, Barbara Hershey, Mercedes Ruehl, Bernadette Peters

1949: Meryl Streep, Sigourney Weaver, Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, Judith Light, Pam Grier,

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2022 8:06 AM

It's so weird to think of Liza as a contemporary of Glenn, Susan Sarandon, or Sally Field.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2022 8:11 AM

In an interview with The Guardian last week Spacek mentioned her admiration for actresses of the 1940s and singled out Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2022 8:36 AM

[R12] here. Of course I've seen Sylvia Scarlett. It's fine. Holiday- Bringing Up Baby - The Philadelphia Story are genius. BTW, Streep absolutely does not have a single great film to her name. The Devil Wears Prada? It's Complicated? Garbage.

Death Becomes Her and She-Devil (an abomination compared with the BBC miniseries) are her most entertaining comic performances.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2022 8:38 AM

Over a decade old now, but still painfully valid:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2022 1:32 PM

Mere jealously. The old films primarily appeal to old people.

by Anonymousreply 54May 20, 2022 2:12 PM

[quote] And Sophie's Choice is in the vernacular so I guess that counts as well.

Silkwood shower is in the vernacular as is Dingo’s got my baby.

by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2022 2:51 PM

Let's be realistic about the three modern actresses in OP's poll with respect to "classic films". I agree that Streep, for the amazing career that she's had, didn't exactly star in any movies that will be considered timeless classics. But neither did Lange - her resume is even less impressive. Of the three, Close probably comes the closest (pun intended), but only slightly. Yes, Fatal Attraction was a huge hit, but notwithstanding Glenn's great performance, the movie is a steaming pile of dog shit. (My personal favorite of Glenn's Dangerous Liaisons.)

This is not to suggest that these women weren't in any good movies. They starred in dozens of great films. But I think very few of them would be classified as "great classic films."

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2022 4:35 PM

Dixie Dunbar, Mitzi Mayfair and Dame May Whitty

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2022 4:52 PM

R55, I suspect more people associate the dingo quote with Julia Louis-Dreyfus than Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]Let's be realistic about the three modern actresses in OP's poll with respect to "classic films". I agree that Streep, for the amazing career that she's had, didn't exactly star in any movies that will be considered timeless classics. But neither did Lange - her resume is even less impressive. Of the three, Close probably comes the closest (pun intended), but only slightly. Yes, Fatal Attraction was a huge hit, but notwithstanding Glenn's great performance, the movie is a steaming pile of dog shit. (My personal favorite of Glenn's Dangerous Liaisons.)

[quote]This is not to suggest that these women weren't in any good movies. They starred in dozens of great films. But I think very few of them would be classified as "great classic films."

Let's be honest, most film journalists who have compiled the "classic movie" lists over the decades have been men, and most of the films have been written and directed by men with mostly male characters.

There was some analysis of the Best Picture winners with male/female dialogue and from memory only Chicago had more female dialogue than men. Since then only Million Dollar Baby, The Shape Of Water, Nomadland and Coda could be argued to have a female lead.

There is a snobbishness about what constitutes a classic movie - how many actresses could claim to have starred in several?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2022 5:15 PM

Where the fuck is Dorothy Dandridge? Cecily Tyson? Angela Bassett?

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2022 5:23 PM

Per the Top 1,000 Films of All Time list (an compendium of greatest of all time critics lists), OP's actresses rank as follows:

Katharine Hepburn - 4: Bringing Up Baby (#125), Holiday (#943), The Philadelphia Story (#328), The African Queen (#737)

Bette Davis - 1: All About Eve (#129)

Joan Crawford - 1: Mildred Pierce (#957)

Meryl Streep - 2: The Deer Hunter (#160), The Bridges of Madison County (#891)

Jessica Lange - 2: All That Jazz (#474), Tootsie (#511)

Glenn Close - 0:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2022 5:32 PM

And then there's Miss Dunaway with Chinatown, Bonnie and Clyde, Network.

by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2022 5:49 PM

Click. Click. Click.

by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2022 5:50 PM

R61, Manhattan is also on the list. So there's a third for Meryl (albeit in a minor role).

Diane Keaton has more than any of those actresses, though: Annie Hall, Manhattan, Reds and the first two Godfather movies.

by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2022 5:51 PM

Dead, dead, and frolicking with Courtney Vance, r60.

by Anonymousreply 65May 20, 2022 5:52 PM

r62, and Natalie Wood with Rebel Without a Cause, The Searchers, Splendor in the Grass, and West Side Story.

r64, oops, missed that one.

by Anonymousreply 66May 20, 2022 5:52 PM

The list at R61 kind of shows how they truly did make women's movies in the golden age of Hollywood. Of the movies for the modern actresses, only one - Streep in Bridges of Madison County, was a starring role. All the others - Deer Hunter, All That Jazz, Tootise, Manhattan - were supporting roles. Then look at the films for the three older actresses - all of them are starring roles.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2022 6:34 PM

that's Tootsie, not Tootise.

by Anonymousreply 68May 20, 2022 6:35 PM

How many Jane Fonda movies are considered classics?

by Anonymousreply 69May 20, 2022 7:08 PM

A “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane” remake would be fabulous with Barbra Streisand (Blanche) and Bette Midler (Jane.) It’ll never happen, though.

by Anonymousreply 70May 20, 2022 7:19 PM

R59 If you look at Best Picture winners in total, Hepburn never even starred in any. Joan has Grand Hotel and Bette has All About Eve. I can't think of any Golden Age actress who starred in more than one except for Leslie Caron who has An American in Paris and Gigi.

by Anonymousreply 71May 20, 2022 7:48 PM

Adding to R61's list, Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine both have 2 movies each.

Olivia: The Adventures of Robin Hood; Gone with the Wind

Joan: Rebecca; Letter from an Unknown Woman

by Anonymousreply 72May 20, 2022 7:49 PM

Seeing as Streep’s (and other modern actresses) movies are already fondly remembered, I don’t buy the argument that they don’t have any classic films.

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2022 7:52 PM

Colin Firth has starred in 3 best picture winners

by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2022 7:55 PM

The MoviesAnywhere app has an automatic list function. One of the list categories is classics. The following movies are characterized as classics for the Golden Age trio of actresses.

Katharine - 4: Adam's Rib, Bringing Up Baby, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Philadelphia Story

Joan - 4: The Damned Don't Cry, Grand Hotel, Mildred Pierce, The Women

Bette - 3: All About Eve, Dark Victory, Jezebel

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane is characterized as a cult classic rather than a classic though.

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2022 7:57 PM

Lange is eye-candy who hooked up with the right men. Close is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2022 7:59 PM

Meryl, you're hardly a looker yourself.

by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2022 8:06 PM

Well, if the app says so, that must be all I need to know and not think for myself.

by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2022 8:17 PM

As someone pointed out, it's fairly difficult to base appearances in classic films as the primary criteria for a great female actor, as so many of the classic films are male driven and the female leads are pretty much just arm candy. It's like when it was revealed that Carrie Fisher had the highest cumulative box office gross of any female actor in Hollywood because of the Star Wars movies. Similarly, Natalie Wood, whom I love, but would never call one of the greats acting wise, happened to be in a series of highly acclaimed films that are now considered classics: Miracle on Thirty-Fourth Street (arguably her greatest performance), West Side Story, Rebel Without a Cause....

by Anonymousreply 79May 20, 2022 9:55 PM

Natalie Wood is excellent in Splendor in the Grass. Inside Daisy Clover and This Property is Condemned are both highly underrated movies of hers. However, her best performance (and her own personal favorite) was the TV movie The Cracker Factory dealing with mental illness, alcoholism, and suicide. Had that been a theatrical movie, I think she could easily have been Oscar nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 80May 20, 2022 10:00 PM

Neither. I like a mix of both but thanks for the thread. Enjoying the posts.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2022 11:38 PM

Bette/Jessica/Glenn

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2022 11:45 PM

R61 Sissy Spacek (5) Badlands, Carrie, 3 Women, JFK, The Straight Story.

by Anonymousreply 83May 21, 2022 12:34 AM

I would have put

Streep/Fonda/Winger

Runner up Sigourney Weaver

by Anonymousreply 84May 21, 2022 12:39 AM

R67 and even though he’s basically cancelled now, also goes to show that Woody Allen was consistently the best writer /director for women in the modern era, hence why Keaton hits more of these goal posts than the others (I don’t count The Godfather, since she’s second tier at best in both).

None of this goes to show how great (or how much of a draw) any of these actresses were/are, however.

by Anonymousreply 85May 21, 2022 3:27 AM

R61 Meryl has three - you left out Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2022 3:50 AM

This thread has made me realize how bland Glenn is.

by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2022 6:32 AM

I would go with Streep/Spacek/Winger

by Anonymousreply 88May 22, 2022 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!