Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elizabeth McGovern’s Favorite DA Character

Her favorite “Abbey” character is Thomas Barrow, the closeted gay butler.

Fag hag!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2022 12:58 AM

McGovern has always been a hag to the gays. Does no one remember she was the original Moira in Handmaids Tale the movie? I’m surprised it’s not a DL icon with Faye Dunaway as Serena Joy!

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2022 2:00 AM

meh. The whole show was just a weak rehash of actual quality television

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2022 2:03 AM

[quote]She fears another film sequel.

Go with your gut, girl!

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2022 2:06 AM

Bring back Shirley!

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 10:53 AM

What else is she going to say? If there had been a black character, she would have picked that one.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 10:55 AM

But Thomas really isn’t closeted. He was dancing in a gay bar that was raided.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 11:01 AM

Plus everyone in the house knows he's a cocksucker. That's why the old coot didn't approve of him being in one of the bedrooms with some young guy.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 11:03 AM

Wea-wee? She wikes Baa-woh?

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 11:07 AM

Isn't McGovern's Cora voice spot-on for the time? I'm sure I read somewhere that rich American women were taught to speak quietly and softly in order to appear refined and better suited for European nobility marriages...

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 11:15 AM

Lady Grantham is my favorite character.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 2:01 PM

Compare McGovern’s beautiful face - naturally aging and a gorgeous older version of her younger self to the plastic burn victim look of Ashley Judd or Nicole Kidman, Madonna, etc. So good to see - she looks incredible.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 2:05 PM

R2- I agree. Downton Abbey was never more than a mediocre show designed to please a 21st century audience. Upstairs Downstairs (1971-1975) was THE best drama about the Upper class and their servants.

Could you imagine Elizabeth Bellamy marrying Watkins The Chauffer - Lady Marjorie would have had a fit but on Downton Abbey they presented nonsensical storylines like that to please contemporary audiences.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 2:23 PM

She was separated at birth from Terry Farrell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote] Upstairs Downstairs (1971-1975) was THE best drama about the Upper class and their servants.

It’s amazing how much Julian Fellowes stole from Upstairs/Downstairs.

For example, a gay footman was in Upstairs/Downstairs.

There were some good characters on DA, but nobody matched Hudson, Mrs Bridges and Sarah the character Pauline Collins played.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 4:36 PM

R14- I couldn't remember who the gay footmen was at first. Not Edward, then I remembered Alfred the first footman who ran off with the pre Nazi Von Rimmer.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote]I couldn't remember who the gay footmen was at first. Not Edward, then I remembered Alfred the first footman who ran off with the pre Nazi Von Rimmer.

If I remember correctly, I think he was only in episode 2 or 3. A one episode character at the very beginning of the show. So he’s often forgotten. I have to go back and rewatch that episode and see if they actually said he was gay or if it was just implied.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 4:48 PM

R16- Von Rimmer was certainly gay because he seduced Alfred into having sex with him. Alfred capitulated but it's not clear that he was gay- but I bet he had tendencies because two seasons later he reappeared. He was on the run because he had murdered his older male lover and he was on the run from the police.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 4:56 PM

Facially & voice-wise she is a clone of my sweet next door neighbor. I’ve always liked her as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 5:05 PM

Von Rimmer. Tell me there was a gay influence on that show without telling me! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 6:14 PM

That's "oh, Wobert" R18.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2022 6:20 PM

I have always liked Elizabeth McGovern. She is a better actress than she is given credit for.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote] She is a better actress than she is given credit for.

Playing Evelyn Nesbitn she was quite good in Ragtime. Much better than Joan Collins' earlier version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2022 6:46 PM

R22- If I wasn't 100% GAY I would be turned on by her being topless.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 7:09 PM

"Did it hurt?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2022 7:13 PM

I like McGovern. She was terrific in The Wings of the Dove as Susan Stringham. She keeps some of those pompous gits in line in DA.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2022 7:17 PM

I don't remember the name but the actor who played the husband who died in the car accident. I couldn't take my eyes off him. What he doing now, whatsisname? They should bring him back as ghost - yeah, good idea, writers?

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2022 6:33 PM

[quote] I don't remember the name but the actor who played the husband who died in the car accident. I couldn't take my eyes off him. What he doing now, whatsisname? They should bring him back as ghost - yeah, good idea, writers?

He’s had so much plastic surgery, they could bring him back as a new character and nobody would notice.

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2022 6:38 PM

I love her! I remember seeing her in Ordinary People and finding her enchanting. But as is often the case with beautiful girls, Hollywood didn’t know what to do with her. I’m glad she’s had an Act 2 due to DA.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2022 6:56 PM

She's gorgeous. It's wonderful to see a real aging gloriously face.

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote] But as is often the case with beautiful girls, Hollywood didn’t know what to do with her.

It didn’t help that she was cock-eyed.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2022 7:58 PM

Cora is actually my favorite character, behind The Dowager Countess. I love McGovern’s enunciation. She always acts like a lady and when upset, whispers rather than shouts. I wish Cora had more screen time.

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2022 9:02 PM

I always get her and Elizabeth Perkins mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2022 9:43 PM

At first, I hated how Elizabeth McGovern played Cora. It was really hard to watch & listen to her voice & the way she spoke. But I guess I got used to it.

The actress who played the lady's maid, Anna, said that her favorite character was Moseley.

My favorite characters were Anna and O'Brien, the two ladies' maids. I also did like Bates' first wife (the one who died). She was a great villain. And Mary. Edith was hard to watch, always crying and simpering. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2022 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!