Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fuck baby formula. I just paid $6.29 a gallon for gas.

In So. Cal. The thing the little gas gauge icon that indicates how full your gas tank is didn’t register. The computer thingy that shows range ( miles until fill up needed) did not change. I think my poor little (reliable) car is not used to gas that costs more than caviar.

by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2022 3:03 PM

The L. A. area seems to have truly wild prices! $4.50 here in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 11:43 PM

Over $5 in Philly.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 11:51 PM

There was a news article earlier today that a chain of stations in Washington state have upgraded their machines for $10.00/gallon gas. If gas gets that high things will get bad!

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 11:59 PM

Wait. Ten dollars a gallon? See, now this is definitely more of a reason to stay the fuck home then Covid could ever be.

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2022 12:33 AM

OP, how does your car know the price of gas?

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2022 1:33 AM

I live in Alabama and Sunday I paid $5.19 a gallon for 95 octane no ethanol gas.

For myself I don’t care if gas goes to $10 a gallon.

I drive a smart car and I have been averaging 60-63 miles per gallon.

10 gallons of gas lasts 17-18 days.

I work with a woman that drives a Ford Excursion and to save money two nights a week she sleeps in the parking lot at work in her SUV.

I learned my lesson after Hurricane Katrina.

There are fuel-efficient vehicles but for some reason people don’t want to buy them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 1:41 AM

In Tennessee it's close to five bucks a gallon. I'm getting a bicycle with a strong chain and lock soon.

R6 That lady is bananas. She should sell the car before gas goes even higher.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 2:41 AM

I’m starting to wonder if they’re deliberately making gas prices high to convince people electric cars are the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 2:54 AM

R8 the “they” you are refering to is the oil companies.

So, no they are not trying to run themselves out of business. They are just price gouging

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 3:02 AM

Who is 'they' R8?

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 3:02 AM

Why don't we just form a group with Canada and Mexico, where we neither allow any importation nor export of oil outside of North America, creating our own market separate from the global oil market? I'm sure that between the three of us we can produce enough to fulfill our needs as we transition from oil based technologies without making people suffer.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 4:43 AM

r11 "We" (these three nations) don't OWN the oil wells, we don't OWN the refineries, we don't OWN the pipelines. It's the oil companies that own these things and they would argue that their responsibility is not to the countries where they do business or are incorporated, but to their shareholders. The rule of capitalism is to maximize profits, not to help out fellow citizens. Only if the governments of the US, Canada, and Mexico nationalized the oil companies (as Venezuela has done), would we be in a some sort of position to keep this hemisphere's oil in this hemisphere. That's why all that ridiculous talk about if only the Democrats had allowed the Keystone pipeline to go through, we'd have all the gas we'd ever need, is just that, talk. That oil would go to the refineries in Louisiana and east Texas and would be shipped all over the world, just as the oil that currently makes it there is.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 6:15 AM

I'm 58yo sgwm 5'4" 130 lbs, I walk everywhere within 2 miles or less of my residence, I don't own a car since hurricane Katrina, all the expenses ( gas, insurance, maintenance costs) just wasn't worth it for me, I hardly used it to justify the money drain,, I also ride my bike for pleasure, the park or some quick errands. I know gas prices are expensive and volatile at this time, but sometimes life changes or better economic personal decisions need to be made, if you drive a great big expensive gas guzzler, there are better options out there, so you have that... Happy pedestrian and cycle enthusiast here. :-)

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 6:42 AM

R12 I don't want the government to take over the industry. The government can and does tell companies that they cannot export or import certain things or sale to certain people, we issue sanctions, we restrict the sale of technology... There is not one area of the US economy, especially oil, that is a free market. Separating the US from the global oil market would be justifiable for national security and economic reasons.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 4:20 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2022 4:08 PM

I drive an EV. The cost to "fill it up" (full charge of the battery) is half what it would be if it were a gas-powered car.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2022 4:12 PM

In the San Diego area I've seen gas over $7.00 per gallon. Luckily, I drive an EV so I don't have to pay those exorbitant prices! A full charge uses about $7 of electricity and lasts me a couple of weeks. And the car came with three years of free high-speed public charging, so there's really no cost at all. Yes, EVs are more money up front, but there are great deals to be had (most places will deduct the tax incentive off the lease price, dropping the sticker by ten grand) and the cost of ownership is significantly lower.

And, yes, I'm damned lucky to have such first-world problems/choices!

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2022 4:19 PM

$120.01 to fill up yesterday at CostCo. I died a little inside.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote]$120.01 to fill up yesterday at CostCo. I died a little inside.

Jesus, how big is your tank??

I drive a Jeep Wrangler (not my idea!) and it gets like 15 mpg. I slept $70 to fill it last time and haven’t driven in a week because of it. I try to avoid driving/maximize outings as much as possible now.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2022 4:32 PM

You paid $6.29 for gas and the national minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour. And let's not normalize $4.50 R1. that's still outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2022 4:32 PM

It’s Putin’s fault!

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2022 4:37 PM

1 liter gas here in Norway costs 25 kroner, which is 2.55 US dollars. 1 gallon is more than 4 liters, in other words: a gallon here costs 10+ dollars. Stop fucking complaining, OP. 6 dollars is nearly half what it costs here. So glad I drive electric.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2022 4:37 PM

R20 And, if we raise the national minimum wage inflation will probably increase, raising the cost of gas higher. Capitalism is great and it is what built this country but it doesn't belong everywhere, if we removed certain sectors from the larger capitalist economy it would free the larger economy to thrive and us all to live. Heavily regulate/subsidize energy/utilities, healthcare, and education, in a way that completely removes them from the larger economy. When energy was new and pioneering it needed to be capitalist, but now it is a necessity not a luxury. No one should be getting rich off of medicine unless they invent some breakthrough treatment for something. And, based on the state of our nation, the education sector has shown they don't deserve to suck us dry either.

The only way for us to ever truly achieve liberty and freedom, is when we as a people don't have to "work to live" but instead focus on what they want to do, not what they have to do.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote]1 liter gas here in Norway costs 25 kroner, which is 2.55 US dollars. 1 gallon is more than 4 liters, in other words: a gallon here costs 10+ dollars. Stop fucking complaining, OP. 6 dollars is nearly half what it costs here. So glad I drive electric.

God. That sucks. You live in Norway? My condolences.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2022 4:47 PM

R10

The democrats.

“If big oil could raise prices anytime they wanted and get away with it, then why were they so cheap in 2020, 2019, 2018?” asks the Competitive Enterprise Institute's Ben Lieberman”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2022 4:50 PM

R24 - No condolences needed; Norway isn’t a $h!th0le country!

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote]And, if we raise the national minimum wage inflation will probably increase, raising the cost of gas higher.

Gas went up 2 dollars or more a gallon in one year, it wasn't inflation, and people making minimum wage can hardly afford to drive a car with gas prices as they are. That's all I'm saying. And the minimum wage has been the same since 2009, while living - eating, housing, etc. - costs much more than it did 13 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2022 4:57 PM

Gas prices are rising due entirely to greed and profiteering. They charge more because they can get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2022 4:59 PM

R27 I wasn't saying it caused this inflation, only that it would add to inflation. There are many factors that drive inflation.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2022 5:00 PM

Here in LA cunts drive to the corner so I'm thrilled prices are up!

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote] how does your car know the price of gas?

When its engine is constantly sucking crud from the bottom of an almost empty fuel tank. Like its owner, it will sputter in protest.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2022 5:08 PM

In Tampa the price is $4.37 a gallon which is cheaper than most places but the downside is that you need a car to get around here, it’s not at all a bike or pedestrian friendly city.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2022 5:08 PM

R19 21 gallon tank.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2022 5:08 PM

R22 A gallon is 3.78 liters, not over 4.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2022 5:25 PM

I bought gas at Costco for 3.89 a gallon. The price for gas here is 4.19. Our local grocery store has a fuel saver program and I’ve got 3.00 saved. That’s 3.00 off the price of a gallon of gas.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2022 5:29 PM

[quote] Gas prices are rising due entirely to greed and profiteering. They charge more because they can get away with it.

Uhm, any proof of that? I don't particularly want to defend oil conglomerates, but Biden blaming everyone but himself for everything is just pathetic. What is he at now, 39% approval?

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2022 5:32 PM

Funny thing, but we are funding the transition of gas producers to renewable energy production. We funded their biofuel dodge until everyone figured out biofuels produce CO2. Exxon Mobile Brit Petroleum Shell all see the writing on the wall and are making as much cash on the way to owning lithium mines and solar farms

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2022 5:33 PM

5 bucks a gallon in the Phoenix suburbs. I am crying.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2022 5:40 PM

Normally (from the northeast here) I hibernate a lot of the winter and only go outside locally, but as the weather gets better I drive 60+ miles to the beaches or other outdoorsy locations, and it's very hard with these current prices to justify day trips (which is all I can really afford, nowadays. Used to go on vacations but my salary really hasn't gone up a whole lot in a decade). Maybe it doesn't seem a hardship to stay at home all the time, or never leave a small area - but mentally it's not the best thing for a person.

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2022 5:45 PM

Oh go fuck off you smug Scanda R22.

You live in a different world. And poor people in the US often can't afford to live close to jobs so they have to drive.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2022 5:46 PM

A Sonoco station near where I'm staying in the Hudson Valley is now at $5.95. And, an aside...a can of cat food jumped $0.08 in just a week at Hannaford.

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2022 5:48 PM

It's interesting too how they're giving you less products for the same price. Like, 7th Generation made their dish dtergent bottle small and charged the same (now they've gone down on it 10 cents, but still a bargain for them). Bought a bag of generic roasted cashews yesterday that was only half full, used to be totally full. Price, 5.49. Used to be 5.99. But they still win in that equation.

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2022 6:40 PM

part of the increase in gas is to make Biden look bad. no company with money wants the Democrats in office so they are trying to get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2022 6:47 PM

R34 You're right. I thought it was slightly more for some reason, not less. Anyways, it doesn't change much. Gas here is still around 10 dollars a gallon.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2022 6:48 PM

R38 Still half the price than Norway. I'm glad I drive electric.

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2022 6:51 PM

Yes, the true tragedy is the price of wet cat food. Fancy Feast petites is now 1.29.

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote]Yes, the true tragedy is the price of wet cat food. Fancy Feast petites is now 1.29

Oh fuck. Part of my not-saving-for-retirement plan was that I was gonna have to eat cat food when I retire. But at that price, I’ll only be able to afford the dry stuff.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote] part of the increase in gas is to make Biden look bad. no company with money wants the Democrats in office so they are trying to get rid of them.

Uhm... you do know most mega-corporations donate to BOTH parties so they'll always win. Even so, here's a list of Democrat corporate donors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 22, 2022 12:21 AM

And this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 22, 2022 12:22 AM

Wait, there's more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2022 12:22 AM

Oh, and also this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 22, 2022 12:23 AM

And lastly...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 22, 2022 12:23 AM

Oh, and R43, in case you're about tp pounce with the argument that OIL companies donate to the RNC only...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2022 12:25 AM

The oil companies see the future. They are getting their money while they can by price-gouging. They should have been regulated the fuck out of business decades ago. At best, they should have been nationalized. But capitalism! Yeah, right. Capitalism does not subsidize for-profit businesses. If they are so essential that we have to pay to subsidize their business models, then they need to be under governmental control. Not allowed to profiteer at will.

And, always remember, the Repugs just voted to allow unfettered price-gouging...and the media conveniently forgot to say anything.

by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote] And, always remember, the Repugs just voted to allow unfettered price-gouging...

You're so astute and seemingly well-balanced.

by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] Fuck baby formula.

OP. Is that first word a verb or an adjective? Is that second word a noun or an adjective?

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2022 1:04 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2022 1:13 AM

R57, already mentioned like ten times.

R55, care to elaborate...if you can, that is.

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2022 2:11 AM

R58 - Oh honey, there's no need. Your batshit craziness speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 59May 22, 2022 12:49 PM

R12- OWN?

Oprah Winfrey Network

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2022 1:11 PM

R18- $120 to fill up your car!

What are you driving? A 1974 Cadillac Sedan Deville ( I miss those HUGE cars from the 1970's)

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2022 1:13 PM

I agree that the gas companies are really at fault here but they are responding to the state of the market right now.

Gas demand is lower than usual because China is still largely in lockdown. So gas companies haven't been producing as much, and compounded by Russian and Ukrainian oil coming off the market, as well as the short-lived post-covid surge in demand, oil is more expensive than it has been in the last 5 years.

But oil companies aren't going to drill more because shareholders don't want them to and even if they did it will take time to increase supply again. There are hundreds of federal permits that aren't being made use of. Anyone who has kept an eye on the market will see that shareholders want supply throttled for increased profits, and I'm betting the limited market in China has a role to play in that.

Gas companies are definitely trying to make up for a shrinking market, especially because of electric vehicle uptake, so they're upping prices across the board to compensate. Oil is actually as expensive as it was in 2014 but I don't remember seeing these insanely high prices then.

It's an unfortunate flaw in the system. Gas companies need to keep profit high and if they can't make it through shifting volume they'll increase profit margins.

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2022 1:28 PM

R59 is a typical, ignorant troll.

Biden should enact the Defense Production Act to force more gas production and more farm production. I mean, there is nothing more essential to life than food and the ability to get to your job without going bankrupt. Between food and gas prices, people are going to start fucking dying soon due to losing jobs and the inability to afford to feed their families.

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2022 2:26 PM

R61 A 2019 Mercedes station wagon, which averages 28 MPG.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2022 4:34 PM

R18, that’s expensive.

And I thought shelling out $45 bucks for a half-tank of gas in my Tacoma today was bad. Fortunately, I only work one day a week and my commute is 18 highway miles each way.

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2022 9:22 PM

[quote] Biden should enact the Defense Production Act to force more gas production and more farm production. I mean, there is nothing more essential to life than food and the ability to get to your job without going bankrupt. Between food and gas prices, people are going to start fucking dying soon due to losing jobs and the inability to afford to feed their families.

Thank you for proving my point, you batshit crazy troll.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2022 10:38 PM

R66 has nothing of substance to say. Troll or Repug?

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2022 11:54 PM

R61 my second car (in ‘82) was a 73 Cadillac Coupe Deville.

It got 9 miles per gallon and had a 36 gallon gas tank.

It would take $190 to fill the tank now but I loved that car!

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2022 11:54 PM

I have one word for you….. plastics.

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2022 12:05 AM

After 2008 people started to buy smaller cars because that's what they could afford. The downturn didn't last that long and these same dumb cunts traded those small cars for giant cars because "the children need room!" NOW the same dumb cunts are crying and blaming Joe.

Fact!

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2022 12:12 AM

Why anybody has a child, I'll never know.

This shit is only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2022 12:20 AM

R63. I mean he probably could and should but that would be a very serious and very interesting move.

That Act isn't to wheel out willy-nilly since it commandeers the civilian economy and disrupts the free market. It would shock businesses and probably hit stocks pretty hard.

All the more reason to do it in my opinion but I'm sure lobbyists won't see it that way.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2022 8:40 AM

Biden's ruinous gas prices for drivers are the same strategy as Obama used against coal and coal miners.

[quote] “If somebody wants to build a coal-fired power plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them,” Obama said, responding to a question about his cap-and-trade plan. He later added, “Under my plan … electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2022 8:49 AM

R73. Why are you posting an article from 10 years ago about a different president?

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2022 8:52 AM

Bwaaahaaaahaaaa. Oh my sides, R67. Do you think you've posted anything of substance? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2022 11:48 AM

R70-People started buying smaller cars in 1979 when gasoline in the USA first reached $1 per gallon in some areas.

by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2022 1:44 PM

Americans like larger cars because Americans are, well... larger! We try to convince ourselves that we like bigger cars because they are safer or more luxurious, but the reality is that we just don't fit in the seats -especially in the back. (I say "we" because I, too, am an American -not because I can't fit in a subcompact car.)

by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2022 3:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!