Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vacation Daze

How come US companies are so stingy with vacation days?

I want to go somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 11:05 PM

Then go.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 9:43 PM

Every new employee walking in the door at my agency gets 20 PTO days plus 15 holidays a year. That equates to 4 weeks off plus long weekends around most holidays - this in total equals 7 weeks off per year. The number of PTO days increases with longevity. I am dumbfounded by how many employees have little or no PTO time left just in couple months into the fiscal year. They have zero responsibility or concept in balancing their time off throughout the year. Most of them freely take additional unpaid time off later in the year. I am sick of always working short staffed.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 9:59 PM

US is Dillinger Capitalism. OP hasn't been paying attention to ask such a dumb question.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 10:02 PM

Negotiate more vacation time if you can. For years I argued that time off was critical for me and traded raises for extra weeks of vacation time (or some combination of. ) I ended up with a little more than 25% of the year in vacation time.

I produced a lot of work on a shorter work schedule but established confidence over the long haul and it was never a problem. I had so much time off that I was careful not to tell anyone outside of bosses, not wanting to draw attention to the fact

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 10:08 PM

I had a job that supposedly offered 2 weeks paid vacation. As it turned out it offered vacation pay after one calendar year and they acted like I was asking for the impossible when I actually wanted the time off. Fucking bitches…

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 10:12 PM

I've heard of other companies doing that, R5. My partner only gets two weeks off a year but is given grief if he tries to schedule even a couple of days off. This all seems inhumane and counterproductive.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 10:53 PM

[quote]As it turned out it offered vacation pay after one calendar year and they acted like I was asking for the impossible when I actually wanted the time off. Fucking bitches…

Ridiculous employers. And employees too often help them get away with it.

If you're applying for a position while suitably employed elsewhere, it's the perfect time to make the time off part of your employment terms. Of course they can give you 2 fucking weeks off from the start...if they want to do, or if they want to try again with the second best candidate, etc.

I'm very upfront about liking to travel and that the time to do it is part of what I want from an employer; I can be flexible with salary to some extent, but not in having no travel time. If negotiations reach that point, you're in an excellent position to ask/insist.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 10:57 PM

It’s amazing how little vacation most American companies offer and that many people don’t take all their vacation days!

Plus people are often expected to be available for calls even on vacation

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 11:04 PM

Employees should get 4 weeks minimum like in Europe

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!