Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

QUEER AS FOLK reboot trailer

TRAAAAAAANS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 24, 2022 5:49 AM

This is why I don't like the word Queer. Not because it may have been used as a slur before but because it means pretty much anything but gay.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 6:53 PM

It actually looks better than I expected, but I do wish we could have a single project that doesn’t revolve around a club or a bar. Are young people really still going to clubs the way they used to? It feels like we deserve better than to always center our stories around nightlife.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 7:00 PM

Why use the same title? It’s not even an American idiom.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 7:13 PM

I won’t be watching

. . . Because I am not one of your TTTRRRAAANNNSSS!

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 7:14 PM

Looks interesting, though I agree with R2's point that always having the gay club/bar scene as part of any gay movie/TV series is so cliche by now. That said, the leads look quite appealing.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote]Returning to Twitter to put out there that the entire team behind Queer as Folk should feel ashamed that in a time when our leaders are working overtime to erase the LGBTQ community starting in the classroom the best they can do is milk the Pulse tragedy for a dollar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 7:38 PM

Especially Fin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 7:38 PM

I've watched the first 2 episodes. I'm an outsider so taking it for what it is... a Fluff piece. Fin Argus is good in this. As is said upthread the Pulse Night Club story line is not a happy one. 6 more episodes to watch.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2022 12:14 PM

It looks like every cliche in the book. Are there any gay people in it who aren't living large?

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2022 12:58 PM

It seems like the only gay story left to be told is one about gay people who aren't thin.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2022 12:58 PM

Damn, I forgot all eight episodes dropped today.

I think I've changed too much to bother with this show -- even a couple of years ago, I would've been all over it, but these days I prefer non-segregated gay storylines. The "Tales of the City" reboot was the last of these kinds of shows that I enjoyed.

Juliette Lewis is having a bit of a renaissance, what with this and Yellowjackets. I'm happy for her.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2022 1:00 PM

I tried to like it but this show turned hot guys into queenie bitches, way to turn off an audience. I never had this sort of gay life as I didn't need a ghetto to exist. If feels dated. I don't know anyone that goes to clubs.

I read somewhere that the trans character is a cisgender lesbian playing the enby card?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2022 4:07 PM

I'm hate watching it. Ep 2, written by the trans that got fired from Netflix has the beautiful line "The best dicks come with the worst men". The dyke is also wearing a God is trans shirt. This show is so on the nose, they truly hate men.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2022 4:41 PM

[quote]"You're gonna give me this beautiful speech about trans-ness and sex and self-worth? Nothing could turn me on more."

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2022 5:09 PM

😂😂😂😂😂😂

The writing in this episode is so bad, I guess we finally learned why she was fired from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2022 5:38 PM

I quit in the second episode. Bad show.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2022 7:45 PM

The people in it are so desperately unappealing. The Rocky Horror reject by far was the most embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2022 3:17 PM

[QUOTE]Are young people really still going to clubs the way they used to? It feels like we deserve better than to always center our stories around nightlife.

It probably makes it slightly more televisual than people staring at their phones all day long.

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2022 3:19 PM

R12, Almost every gay show has this forced effeminancy in it now. They take the masculine or regular gay characters and turn them into these outdated caricatures of screaming bitchy or over the top queens. It really is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2022 3:25 PM

More Johnny Sibilly please.

Also, the lesbian erasure continues. Couldn’t even have a lesbian couple. Has to be a lesbian/trans woman couple.

by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote]Are young people really still going to clubs the way they used to? It feels like we deserve better than to always center our stories around nightlife.

One this is a reimagining of QAF where gay bars played a big role. And two the gay scene is centered around nightlife r2. There aren't that many places that you have lots of gay men coming together outside of a gay bar/gay party.

And at least here in NY, yes gay nightlife is still a big draw and the clubs get packed with people.

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2022 4:14 PM

Hate watching EP5, written by DLs icon Roxane Gay. Of course the plot revolves around a queeny teen turning 18 and how he despises his dad and loves his fag hag mom. This show hates men, that's very clear. Now we're in a locker room scene where said queeny "non binary" teen is talking to his female and male friends as naked athletes pass by like it's no big deal, showing us what happens when people that don't hang around men decide to write about us. I'm sure it gets worse.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2022 10:09 PM

Back in 1999, Nathan's biggest struggle was to be accepted as the alpha male of the group which he did by the end of QAF. Now, Roxane gives us the new QAF, where the nonbinary queeny teen's biggest struggle is fighting with a supporting mom who doesn't want her enby queer kid to quit drag school.

🤮

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2022 10:20 PM

I just recently found out Ryan O'Connell is in this.

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2022 11:51 PM

I can't believe they let the "nonbinary" actor, who's really just a lesbian/straight woman play herself as a teenage boy before the character's transition. The other guy wearing a terrible wig as his friend. It looks like a bad teen parody of Orlando with cross dressers. 😂

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2022 1:45 AM

I am at Stonewall right now (ugh), and man they have completely decked out this bar with QAF marketing.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2022 2:35 AM

Of course the show ends without mentioning the shooter's religion and of course the gay lead ends up hooking up with the trans woman and the teen gets HIV as he's comforted by a nonchalant mom downplaying the seriousness of the situation, since he won't die. 🤮

Congrats to all involved. This was a true landmark on representation! 👏🏻

I'm not even kidding, this is the end of this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2022 2:23 PM

This show is a big fuck you to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2022 7:26 PM

I'm only enjoying gay-themed films/television from abroad these days (Latin American, Spain, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2022 7:32 PM

Best review on IMDB (5.4/10)

[quote] 4/10 The Rumor is right kigaiyuuto9 June 2022 Just rewatch the original UK or the (2000) US version on Showtime/Paramount+. If you subscribe to Peacock just skip to the last 3 minutes of episode 8/season finale and you'll see what this reboot is all about...

[quote] He's talking about the gay kissing the trans and the teen getting HIV.

If you wish to be entertained there are Heartstopper, Love Victor, Young Royals and even Q Force (and most Spanish Netflix shows are inclusive). New movies this week are My Fake Boyfriend and Fire Island. The Lake is coming in a week on Prime Video. So plenty of options, just avoid this one. Bad juju.

No wonder some of the casts already released their products before this to steer clear of the stink.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2022 7:33 PM

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2022 7:38 PM

R31, what did you like about it? Genuinely asking.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2022 7:40 PM

[quote] what did you like about it? Genuinely asking.

I liked all the TRAAAAAAANS! stuff.

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2022 7:46 PM

Love Victor got criticized by some when it came out just like the Love Simon movie did for not being inclusive enough. Love Simon for example got criticized because it didn't include any nonbinary, GNC or trans characters and the gay lead Simon for being way too hetronormative and not representative of today's queer youth r30.

R29 I don't know when it's coming out but a new gay series from Spain called Smiley is coming and will star Carlos Cuevas as one of the leads.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2022 11:40 PM

I thought scientology was extremely homophobic? This is kind of like having the lead in Handmaids Tale be a scientologist.

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2022 12:19 AM

Love Simon wasn't made for gay guys, it was made for straight parents. It literally says that at the beginning where Simon tells the audience that he is like them, except he is gay. And why it purposely stays PG and family friendly.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2022 12:39 AM

Do kids really not go to clubs anymore?

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2022 2:18 AM

Is there not a real thread on this show? I didn’t want to start one just to say I watched the first episode and it’s TERRIBLE! I think the only likable character on the show was an extra who played a nurse who told an obnoxious drag queen to move! Not really a spoiler since there’s a prominent warning at the beginning, but the series starts off with a Pulse Night club style shooting, and it’s was honestly disappointing that most of the main cast survived.

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2022 7:01 AM

It took me 3 tries over 3 days & I’m still not done with the first ep. Ugh. I’m going to slog it out for Juliette Lewis, & I do like Jesse James Keitel.

When the teen character dressed in drag, I thought he was going as Frank N Furter.

Please say it gets better…

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2022 7:41 AM

Well, I’ve only seen the first episode. If you haven’t finished it, I can only say it DOESN’T get better. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2022 7:53 AM

Wait the gay guy fucks the trans girl? But trans women are women? Isn't this transphobic? They can't even follow their own logic anymore.

by Anonymousreply 41June 14, 2022 8:20 AM

[quote]Hate watching EP5, written by DLs icon Roxane Gay. Of course the plot revolves around a queeny teen turning 18 and how he despises his dad and loves his fag hag mom. This show hates men, that's very clear. Now we're in a locker room scene where said queeny "non binary" teen is talking to his female and male friends as naked athletes pass by like it's no big deal, showing us what happens when people that don't hang around men decide to write about us. I'm sure it gets worse.

Oh god, this made me laugh. This is so Roxane - she has so many opinions on men but she doesn't understand us at all. I'm also laughing because you know if a non-Haitian wrote Haitian characters she'd be outraged! Or rather, "exhausted".

No one's mentioned Kim Cattrall yet, what's her character like?

by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2022 9:31 AM

One of the IMDB reviews states:

[quote]This is what happens when you place portraying every possible identity and struggle ahead of good writing.

That's kinda how I felt about And Just Like That. So many writers on shows like this seem so much more concerned with ticking boxes than good writing. And personally, I LOVE a diverse show. But write a good show first, with great characters who are more than just their identities, then cast diversely with the best for the role in mind, and I think you'd make everyone happy. Otherwise they're just shooting themselves in the foot and giving too much ammo to the people complaining about "woke this and woke that" all the time.

I think ol' Roxy for one just enjoys being miserable though, so it probably gets her off thinking of people hating her episode.

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2022 9:44 AM

R43, I've often said this but if you want to watch a show with effective diversity, less the self-consciousness, watch Sex Education, starring Gillian Anderson. It's not the highest, purest drama by any stretch, but it sounds better than this dreck and the one thing it achieves is diversity. They are all just people, muddling through. Bridgerton tries the same thing, but it's like a Mary Poppins fantasy sequence on an acid trip.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2022 12:11 PM

R44, I've often found British TV generally better at casting diversely while not making a big deal of it/making the focus the plot. Killing Eve was similar.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2022 12:16 PM

A bad show is a bad show no matter how many gay characters. And this one is really bad.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2022 1:08 PM

Any cameos from original QAF actors?

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2022 2:11 PM

I just watched the trailer and ... I have absolutely zero interest in ever watching any of this.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2022 2:24 PM

I was so looking forward to watch this but after seeing that trailer - not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2022 2:25 PM

The trailer turned me off. The show seems to be filled with Far Left propaganda and stereotypes. The diversity is so overwhelming that it ruins the show.

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2022 2:34 PM

This show is so Yassss Kween. We’ve regressed as the gay community due to the T, the far Left, and Rupaul. We used to also be portrayed as fairly masculine Lawyers and Ad Executives, now we’re all shown as slimy femme grifter junkies who’s only career choice is drag. Fuck this bullshit. It’s oppressive and if you can’t see that you’re part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]Any cameos from original QAF actors?

Charlie Hunnam shows up as a Grindr profile.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2022 2:41 PM

I couldn't make it past ten minutes of episode one. Gross, stereotypical trash. Even worse than Fire Island.

by Anonymousreply 53June 14, 2022 2:41 PM

I have absolutely NO interest in watching that.

by Anonymousreply 54June 14, 2022 2:54 PM

The lack of threads on this show represents what gays think about this garbage. I'm surprised if they get a second season. It was beautifully shot I'll give them that. Someone mentioned on reddit that Brodie is pansexual and that's why he kisses the trans character in the end.

[quote]No one's mentioned Kim Cattrall yet, what's her character like?

Kattrall's character divorces her husband and comes out as whatever after getting her pussy eaten by the lesbian in a relationship with the trans with a dick, who we see getting fucked by the lesbian with a strapon. 🤮

by Anonymousreply 55June 14, 2022 3:56 PM

[quote]This show is so Yassss Kween. We’ve regressed as the gay community due to the T, the far Left, and Rupaul. We used to also be portrayed as fairly masculine Lawyers and Ad Executives, now we’re all shown as slimy femme grifter junkies who’s only career choice is drag. Fuck this bullshit. It’s oppressive and if you can’t see that you’re part of the problem.

I was just wondering - do you think this kind of thing is happening because many of the writer's of gay stuff these days are women and they find this type of man less threatening/more of what they want to see?

I guess it's not a total explanation or anything, but it does seem like this is the type of man someone like Roxane wants to see at least, based on what she says online.

by Anonymousreply 56June 14, 2022 8:03 PM

[quote]Is there not a real thread on this show?

I find this really interesting too. This site tends to have posters discussing everything, whether loved or hated, but this show isn't getting much discussion going comparatively at all. Kinda indicates to me that the show is absolutely terrible if we're all indifferent to it.

by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2022 8:08 PM

No R56

It's what happens with every minority community as they gain greater acceptance and acculturate into mainstream society and thus do not feel the need to only hang out with "their own kind."

They just become more extreme stereotypes of themselves -- Blacks,, Jews, Italians, Irish-- the people who cling to that as their main identity also cling tighter to the stereotypes.

So Nacny Pelosi and Anthony Fauci are both Italian-Americans, but the representation on TV ranges from The Sopranos to Jersey Shore as the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the Fauci-Pelosi generation have assimilated and intermarried

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]So many writers on shows like this seem so much more concerned with ticking boxes than good writing.

Agreed. This is happening on so many TV series of late, and not just the ones with a gay theme.

by Anonymousreply 59June 14, 2022 8:21 PM

Honestly, I only watched because I’m from New Orleans and wanted to see how the city was represented and it’s as bad as I imagined. It’s definitely not the city I grew up in, and I understand it’s changed a lot since the hurricane and since I moved away, but it can’t have changed THAT much! They somehow managed to include all the stereotypes about the city (random roving brass bands and 365 days of Mardi Gras) and also make it completely unrecognizable. I think the building where the club Babylon is (at least the exterior) was just an abandoned space for hippy drum circles with a bad Mediterranean restaurant on the second floor. I definitely don’t recall Frenchman St being the gay Mecca and can’t imagine it is today. But it’s been awhile 🤷🏻

by Anonymousreply 60June 14, 2022 8:51 PM

The previous U.S. version filmed in Toronto and looked absolutely nothing like Pittsburgh, where it was set.

by Anonymousreply 61June 14, 2022 8:55 PM

R59 These writers have no talent, usually they are a ticked box also…. Gays should demand quality not just “visibility “

by Anonymousreply 62June 14, 2022 8:57 PM

I'm R39 & I just started episode 3, it's gotten a little better for me, i.e. I'm hating it less. Episode 1 was really bombastic & frantic & rushed, but post-you-know-what, it's slowed down a bit & has gotten more enjoyable.

I recognize the quadrangle of Justin-Brian-Melanie & the other one, but I don't think there are corollary characters for Ted, Emmett, & Michael.

I'm glad that Daddius (stupid name!) died in the first ep, as he looked identical to his BF. Even in the flashbacks, I can barely tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 63June 14, 2022 9:55 PM

Plot line: “Gays are nasty diseased pigs, Trans are pure as the driven snow”

by Anonymousreply 64June 14, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote]I recognize the quadrangle of Justin-Brian-Melanie & the other one, but I don't think there are corollary characters for Ted, Emmett, & Michael.

I thought it was gonna be based more closely on the UK version, and there is an older guy having sex with a teen, but other than that, no obvious connection?

by Anonymousreply 65June 14, 2022 10:14 PM

This show is like the poor woman in a Mexican donkey show; totally fucked!

by Anonymousreply 66June 14, 2022 10:44 PM

Truth r61. As many deviations as this show makes from the real New Orleans, it is still more accurate to the setting than QAF laughably supposed to be set in Pittsburgh.

That honestly was an all timer in not representing the purported setting of a show/movie.

by Anonymousreply 67June 14, 2022 10:54 PM

There were no gays in Pittsburgh?

by Anonymousreply 68June 14, 2022 10:55 PM

QAF US featured Toronto's "gay village" for exteriors, a few blocks of bars and restaurants.

Pittsburgh had a good gay scene at the time, just no centralized ghetto/village at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 14, 2022 11:09 PM

Yeah I mean anyone who has been to Toronto would say thats Toronto. They used all these location shots from Toronto gayborhood all the time, didn't even try to hide it.

And Pittsburgh had nothing like the type of gay nightlife that shows portrays.

by Anonymousreply 70June 14, 2022 11:12 PM

I assume there are no conventionally attractive white cis gay men?

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2022 5:50 AM

^ does Johnny Sibley count?

by Anonymousreply 72June 15, 2022 8:57 AM

God, I couldn’t even finish the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 73June 15, 2022 12:41 PM

No, R72.

by Anonymousreply 74June 15, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote]Today the new Queer as Folk is streaming on Peacock. I worked alongside wonderful writers like Brontez Purnell, Azam Mahmoud, Punkie Johnson, Ryan O’Connell, Des Moran and show runners Jaclyn Moore and Stephen Dunn. I hope you check out the first season. It’s queer as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 15, 2022 7:52 PM

JFC this is beyond embarrassing. The survivor's rally in episode 3 and the way the carnival barker queen talked was painful.

Hey your kid is dead but we got you a brand new car!

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2022 11:37 PM

So, are their any hot sex scenes (no trannies or similar) in this?

I remember as a teen watching scenes from the Showtime version and loving the one where Brian finds out his dad dies. For those who don’t know, he’s in the middle of a threesome when he gets the call. He tells the guys what it was about and they’re like, “Oh, shit, we should go.” And Brian says, “Who told you to stop” and pushes the guy’s head down again. Something like that. It’s been awhile. My dad was (is, unfortunately) an abusive piece of shit and I came so many times to that beautiful “Fuck you, dad!” on Brian’s part.

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2022 11:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2022 12:02 AM

I'm surprised this reboot is on Peacock. Was Showtime not interested? You'd think they'd have wanted to be the one to revisit QAF, not let someone else do it.

by Anonymousreply 79June 17, 2022 8:21 PM

R37 where I live (Bay Area) the kids/20 somethings still pack the clubs and bars. Including gay bars and clubs. The music seems to be mostly rap/hip hop (whyyyy?) or mainstream pop/dance (also whyyy?) with very little discernible variety (aka lots of autotune).

by Anonymousreply 80June 17, 2022 10:33 PM

R60 - I used to live in New Orleans and the "Fruit Loop" was and still is in the French Quarter. Frenchman Street was always more jazz based. Kinda yuppie. The adjacent Bywater was sketchy and had a lot of great dives. Heard from friends that live there it's gentrifying quickly though.

by Anonymousreply 81June 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Yeah r81, that sounds like not much has changed. I lived there until 2007 and visited as recently as 2018 (which makes me want to cry because it’s been so long and I lived there for 35 years and it will always be my home no matter what hurricane destroys it or what hipster gentrifies it).

It’s never been well portrayed in movies or tv shows. Maybe Treme, but that was fucking TRAUMATIC and I couldn’t actually watch it! Too real!!

by Anonymousreply 82June 17, 2022 11:59 PM

R82 Yes agree re Treme. I was in New Orleans during the time of Hurricane Katrina. When the levees broke, it was a horrifying week trying to get out and to Baton Rouge. I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of Treme. Just couldn't take it, and don't know if I ever will be able to watch it. Some traumatic experiences can't really be transcended I guess.

by Anonymousreply 83June 18, 2022 12:04 AM

You couldn't pay me enough to watch that stereotypical, disgusting garbage.

by Anonymousreply 84June 18, 2022 1:06 AM

I saw the first episode last night, and was actually rather enjoying it. I really liked the actors and it was refreshing to see happy gay people unapologetically being gay and whorish all over my tv screen, but then the guy with the gun showed up.

Ugh. I did not know they were going there. What a disappointment. Not sure I want to watch any more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 85June 18, 2022 1:23 AM

R85 You didn't know they were going there? Did you not watch the trailer?

by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2022 1:30 AM

[quote]I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of Treme. Just couldn't take it, and don't know if I ever will be able to watch it. Some traumatic experiences can't really be transcended I guess.

Amen, fellow NOLA-ite. I watched the Spike Lee documentaries and cried my eyes out the whole time. I had a friend in college that died and he had a little brother who was much younger that he doted on. And in the first documentary, his little brother was there, all grown up and told the story of how their mother didn’t evacuate and he came back to her house and found her body. It cut so deep I thought I was going to pass out.

by Anonymousreply 87June 18, 2022 1:49 AM

[quote]Ugh. I did not know they were going there. What a disappointment. Not sure I want to watch any more episodes.

There was a long warning at the beginning when I saw it and fully expected it. But as I mentioned, I kinda hated it and was mad that only one character died!

by Anonymousreply 88June 18, 2022 1:54 AM

You know, I actually like the show and I’m onboard. Some of you are so caught up in your own goddamn racism and anti-woke nonsense that you can’t evaluate the show properly and objectively. You’re complaining that this has nothing to do with the U.S. QAF, when it has just as much to do with the US version as the US version had to do with the U.K. version. Which is to say, all the archetypes are there. Justin is there. Brian is there. The two lesbians are there. Everyone is there, they just aren’t all white gay men.

The show is not perfect. It’s definitely confusing shock with inclusiveness in some cases. I could have done without the scene of Jesse James Keitel jerking off while topless (it was as explicit as it could have been without actually showing her dick). The amputee sex was difficult to get through. But I love the story between Julian, who has mild cerebral palsy, and Johnny Sibilly’s character. That story rings true for me because I could see myself falling for someone like Julian, my biggest problem would be getting over what everyone else has to say about it. In that sense, I think it’s doing some good.

Otherwise though, it’s a soap. And all the soap opera tropes are present. You close minded racist bitches should get over your prejudices and being offended and watch it, you might actually like it.

At least in giving it a chance, the rest of us don’t have to be embarrassed by you. Because believe me, some of the shit on this thread is a straight up embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 89June 22, 2022 11:31 AM

I consistently fast forward through a lot of this show. The lead CANNOT ACT. He’s embarrassingly bad. The high school kid is good and quite interesting. The trans /lesbian couple makes zero sense and they have no chemistry. Not sure I’m going to stick with it.

Is Johnny Sibilly a dwarf? He looks like he’s about 5’2” at the most.

by Anonymousreply 90June 22, 2022 12:37 PM

Wait... amputee sex, she-male masturbation, etc? I'll definitely pass now.

by Anonymousreply 91June 22, 2022 12:57 PM

I'm not anti-woke. I'm anti-contrived to include every single stereotype at the expense of any sense of reality.

I also find nothing in this show to relate to at all.

by Anonymousreply 92June 22, 2022 2:47 PM

R89 must be charming on dating apps:

"You close minded racist bitches should get over your prejudices and being offended and suck it, you might actually like it."

by Anonymousreply 93June 22, 2022 4:25 PM

There are no stereotypes in this show, R92. That’s my point. You don’t even know what you’re talking about.

Pairing off Kim Cattrall with the show’s resident black bull dyke is hardly lining up with any stereotype I’m aware of. And the show goes all in, trust me. Sex scenes and everything.

You’re just afraid to see it because you’re a racist who only wants to see white gay males represented on screen. I don’t need that I’m order to recognize my own humanity in these stories.

I honestly feel bad for people like you. You’re gonna end up 80 years old and bitter as hell one day. Get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 94June 22, 2022 4:34 PM

Love Kim Cattrall as Brenda. Definitely messier than Hazel Tyler or Debbie Novotny.

by Anonymousreply 95June 22, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote]There are no stereotypes in this show, [R92]. That’s my point. You don’t even know what you’re talking about.

Every single scene in the trailer was 100% over-the-top sterotypes being 100% over-the-top stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote]You’re just afraid to see it because you’re a racist who only wants to see white gay males represented on screen.

My comment literally had nothing to do with race.

But yes, it'd be nice if there was at least once cis gay male. There's literally nobody in this show that I can directly relate to. The lives portrayed are literally nothing like my life at any point.

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2022 1:18 AM

I agree, R97. I'm over all this crap.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2022 1:27 AM

The two main characters are cis gay males. They just are not white. I am white, and I have no trouble relating to them. Why can’t you?

by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2022 11:42 AM

Who is the hottest guy on the show?

by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2022 12:28 PM

The one that was sort of hot died in the first ten minutes. Everyone else is… meh. I thought Sibilly was hot until I watched this and realized he was three feet tall. The lead is a black hole of personality.

by Anonymousreply 101June 23, 2022 12:53 PM

R100, obviously the one with the vagina.

by Anonymousreply 102June 23, 2022 12:55 PM

[quote]I'm not anti-woke. I'm anti-contrived

Woke = contrived

by Anonymousreply 103June 23, 2022 12:55 PM

R92 oh boy, you don't get realize that you're already in the path to anti woke. We all remember the first time we saw some content we love get changed by woke, which we had heretofore broadly agreed with. But this content we knew, and this change clearly didn't fit, so why were they doing it? We might have publically mentioned it unease, but were then called a bigot. So we stopped mentioning it and tried to accept it. Some people are able to lie to themselves for woke, and some people can't. Sounds like you are the latter, and so enjoy your journey. It will be painful and you may lose friends but critical thinking and free, open debate is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 104June 23, 2022 1:36 PM

New York Times calls it Queer as Woke. Little bitch and former enby Johnny Sibilly is bitching on twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 26, 2022 1:40 AM

They mad!

@JohnnySibilly [quote] I usually keep quiet about this stuff but this headline is reductive af. Comparing v different queer media is the equivalent of saying “I have a gay friend you’d LOVE”.

[quote] Also joking about it being “Queer As Woke” for our identifies merely existing and being explored says A LOT more about you than it does about the work. MISS ME WITH THIS.

[quote] See that’s the difference between us writer, while you get to be excited that Netflix hasn’t “forgotten about gay men over 30”, some of us are excited we FINALLY get a seat at this table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 26, 2022 1:44 AM

By Charles Kaiser

Feb. 24, 2021 “It’s a Sin,” about 20-somethings confronting the AIDS crisis in the 1980s, broke new ground for its creator, Russell T Davies, because he had never written about the epidemic before.

But there was something else that made this HBO Max series different from the other gay-themed programs Davies had written, from the original “Queer as Folk” to “A Very English Scandal”: “It’s a Sin” is the first show he has made in which nearly all the gay parts are played by gay actors.

Now the ever-eager pugilist is stirring controversy by arguing in interviews that, from now on, only gay actors should be allowed in gay roles.

“Oh yes!” he told me this week. “I’m going to war. I want the likes of Colin Firth to be ashamed of their actions.”

Firth and Stanley Tucci play a gay couple in the new movie “Supernova,” and Firth snagged his first Academy Award nomination in 2009 for playing a gay character in “A Single Man.” (Asked for a response from Firth, his publicist pointed to the actor’s remarks in the British magazine Attitude, which read in part: “I don’t have a final position on this. I think the question is still alive. It’s something I take really seriously, and I gave it a lot of thought before doing this.”)

The question of which actors should be allowed to play which roles has become increasingly contentious, especially in regard to portrayals of historically marginalized groups. Hollywood productions have often cast white actors in roles and stories that were originally nonwhite — a phenomenon commonly called “whitewashing” — but public pressure in recent years has pushed many white performers to decline such roles. Animated characters of color have often been voiced by white actors, but that practice, too, is being abandoned. There is also growing consensus that transgender roles should be played only by transgender actors.

But before the mixed gay-straight casting of “The Inheritance,” an AIDS drama that premiered in London in 2018 and moved to Broadway the following year, there hadn’t been very much public debate about the suitability of straight actors in gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 107June 26, 2022 1:46 AM

Davies laid out his new position in a barrage of interviews before the January debut of “It’s a Sin” on Britain’s Channel 4, provoking attacks from the likes of Piers Morgan — “Equality means equality, or it doesn’t,” he said on “Good Morning Britain” — and Peter Ash, a straight actor who plays a gay role on “Coronation Street,” the world’s longest running soap opera. (Ash simply tweeted the definition of acting: “the art or occupation of performing fictional roles in plays, films or television.”)

Davies’s stance runs counter to a longstanding principle of the movement for L.G.B.T.Q. equality: No one should ever experience discrimination on the basis of the sex of the person they’re sleeping with. Davies is now advocating discrimination against heterosexual actors who want to audition for gay roles.

In fact, the laws of Britain and the United States make Davies vulnerable to legal challenges if a straight person can prove that he wasn’t considered for a part because he isn’t gay.

“It’s illegal under the Supreme Court’s new interpretation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,” said Matt Coles, the former director of the ACLU’s Center for Equality. The act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, and in a surprise decision from the conservative court last year, six justices decided that the law covered discrimination based on sexual orientation or transgender status.

In Britain, this kind of discrimination is also probably illegal under the Equality Act of 2010, although the law has limited exceptions for occupational requirements for “a particular protected characteristic,” wrote Richard Kenyon, a partner in the London-headquartered firm Fieldfisher, in an email.

“That would not justify a blanket policy but might be used in an argument for a particular play or film where authenticity is particularly important — and where the orientation of the relevant actors is public knowledge,” Kenyon continued.

Davies’s position is fraught and somewhat puzzling for reasons that have less to do with fairness than with his own past work: He has previously used straight actors very successfully in many gay roles. “Queer as Folk,” his first big hit, starred Aidan Gillen, Craig Kelly and Charlie Hunnam. More recently, Hugh Grant gave the performance of a lifetime in “A Very English Scandal” as Jeremy Thorpe, the closeted (and married) leader of the Liberal Party who was accused and acquitted of plotting the death of one of his ex-boyfriends.

“I’ve employed plenty of straight people in straight parts, and their success has paved the way for me to be here now,” Davies conceded.

Does he actually believe there is a gay actor who could have given a more convincing performance than Grant did?

“No,” Davies said. “I’ve had this argument 57 times over the last week, and 57 people have raised Hugh Grant!”

For Davies, the issue is less about authenticity than about equity for gay actors, who he says have been systematically excluded from straight roles. And since there are so many more straight roles than gay ones, he thinks it isn’t right to make gay actors compete against their straight counterparts to play gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 108June 26, 2022 1:48 AM

“It is not a fair playing field,” Davies said. “The equality notion is based on 50 percent this way, 50 percent that way. But 90 percent of actors are straight and 10 percent of parts are gay.”

But for a differing opinion, Davies need look no further than his own cast in “It’s A Sin.” Actors like Neil Patrick Harris, who plays a gay tailor in the new show, are wary of Davies’s new position.

“As an actor, I’ve gotten to play all kinds of sexualities,” Harris said in a telephone interview last month. “I lived almost a decade playing a womanizing straight person on ‘How I Met Your Mother,’ and I enjoyed myself immensely. As a director, I hope to be able to hire purely on the basis of talent.”

Tucci agrees with Davies that gay actors should be given more opportunities to play all kinds of roles, he told CBS in a recent interview. But he doesn’t think he should be banned from playing gay characters. “I think that acting is all about not being yourself,” he said. “If we were to use that as a template, then we would only ever play ourselves.”

Davies is asking people like Tucci and Firth to reject gay roles in the future, though he said he would be willing to make an exception if a marquee name were the only way he could get a production financed.

“Of course, I’d compromise if it’s the only way to get a show made,” he said. “I have no authority; these aren’t rules. But if I can provoke better thinking, I will.”

I suggested to Davies that many 20-somethings, who are describing themselves in growing numbers as sexually fluid, would be baffled by his insistence that gay roles must be played by actors in a category that some young people no longer even recognize.

“That will be the future,” he said. “They will replace me, but they’re not making the programs yet. What I am doing will lead towards them having power.”

“That’s when I’ll look out of date,” he added. “But we’re not there yet.”

by Anonymousreply 109June 26, 2022 1:48 AM

[quote]But I love the story between Julian, who has mild cerebral palsy

We need someone to be disabled.

Like... retarded?

No... Well... Not really... We just need them to look a little retarded but still able to speak clearly.

Will a cripple do?

Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 110June 26, 2022 6:27 AM

I hate this woke garbage of a show but that's unfair. The writer and actor has CP and wrote about it, what's wrong with that? Your the retarded R110.

by Anonymousreply 111June 26, 2022 1:43 PM

CANCELLED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 24, 2022 4:30 AM

I'm a gay actor, a nobody, but I work sometimes. I recently read for a fantastic gay role in a lower budget feature. I was confused, such a fine role I am perfect for, a number of meaty scenes shot in a fun city, why are they allowing me to even audition? I know this office tries to see gay actors for gay roles and they've cast me as a gay character before.

I made a kick ass audition tape and sent it in.....crickets.

Today I looked up the film on IMDB and see an actor far up the food chain has landed the role. Ok. An actor who makes my skin crawl in that hammy Robin Williams way, straight, and a decade older than the character in the script, naturally. I am a bit surprised a straight actor was cast, I thought that sort of thing really bugged the audience such a film would hope to attract these days? Oh, well, that's show biz, baby!

by Anonymousreply 113September 24, 2022 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!