Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Edwardians: How did your land leases work?

I am watching the cutting edge “Duchess of Duke Street,” about a 1900 apprentice chef rising up through the business ranks, from mistress of the Prince of Wales to owner of a fancy hotel.

Not to reveal spoilers, but around 1902 the prince grants her a long lease on a London townhouse (you call them rowhouses) at the beginning of their affair, which she later sells to use as capital to buy the lease on the remaining 60 years left on a 90 year lease of a hotel. Then when she’s in dire straits a gentleman friend gives her 1,500 pounds to buy the remaining time on this lease from her. He’ll have his own suite at the hotel and the heroine can otherwise keep running the place.

So, if you wanted to lease a house in London did you give all the money for the years of the lease up front, and then there’s no more monthly/quarterly/yearly rent due? I guess you took over the building’s upkeep and repairs, but who paid the property taxes? When did this system shift, or is it still in place?

It’s all very foreign to an average American like me. Lease agreements also figure in stories like “Howard’s End” and it’s always kind of murky from this end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 0May 18, 2022 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!