Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Twitter's Board is going to FORCE Elon to complete the acquisition

At the negotiated price --$44 billion.

Elon trying to worm his way out of the deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 2:07 PM

Seems like they're going for specific performance. Musk's grounds to get out paying the $1B penalty are narrow.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 2:14 AM

This whole little drama would make a great law school moot court case!

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 2:15 AM

Musk tanked TSLA and TWTR stock with his BS.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 2:18 AM

Elon Musk comes out, and is finally his true, authentic self.

Newsweek:

[quote] Elon Musk Says He'll Vote Republican for First Time in Next Election

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 2:24 AM

R3, I smell shareholders' lawsuits against Musk for depressing the value of their stock by his bad faith behavior.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 2:32 AM

Musk can't vote in U.S. elections.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 2:36 AM

He's not a naturalized U.S. citizen?

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote] Elon Musk became a US citizen through the naturalization process in 2002, at the age of 30 or 31.

So he can vote in US elections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 2:39 AM

He's Afrikaner-American.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 2:41 AM

“Mr. Musk’s increasingly skeptical — and erratic — comments about the takeover have kept investors, bankers and Twitter itself guessing about his motives. Some analysts figure that the 50-year-old is trying to drive down the acquisition price or walk away from the deal altogether. Many were unnerved by his methods, with market-moving pronouncements made off the cuff at conferences or in emoji-laden tweets in the middle of the night.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 2:47 AM

My mistake at r6.

It sure is odd that he was able to get citizenship fairly easily while it's difficult, if not impossible, for almost everyone else. Maybe he's an "Einstein" like Melania.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 2:54 AM

R11, rich people can get a green card if they invest a few hundred thousand dollars in the US and “create jobs.”

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 3:09 AM

This was all theater for Musk.

He never had the money to buy Twitter and now he’s desperate to save face as he tries to get out of the deal

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 3:10 AM

The Twitter board is maybe, shockingly, adhering to its fiduciary duty.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 3:25 AM

r14 well, despite the depreciation, one would also be inclined to think they're desperately trying to avoid a full audit, investigation into potential discrepancy of their self reporting. . . which we all generally accept as common place among corporations but predictably twits have tried to take the high moral ground.

As far as takeovers ago.. this is still relatively mild. There's no real cock block or retreat here yet. It's a fully erect stand off. Both are close to spooging.

If we pull back to the greater orgy, we should examine what the fed is doing here and in other govts, where they're just sperging out ina bid to impede this transaction. . . which also leads to the depreciating values. I'd wager both twit and twat (elon) are waiting for some of that to be resolved, too. -- catch the headlines of billionaires gone wild as the rest of the corporate denizens express outrage at suggests of govt overreach... even among those that believe elon is a prattling twat they'd love to see crash and burn.

Funny here, tho, how quickly the crowd upset Elon was going to buy twitter and cause the apocalypse are now upset he's trying to back out of buying twitter. Ermag0d.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 3:42 AM

I think he's going to totally tank Tesla, 6 months to a year my guess. He's so fucking repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 3:46 AM

R15, well, as a publicly traded corporation, Twitter's auditors would have to sign off on their financials before they filed their quarterly and annual reports. Twitter assuredly has reputable and sophisticated outside auditors who would not risk their professional licenses or worse civil and criminal prosecution for misrepresentation in SEC filings. The board has the same obligations. Are you speaking of audits of other matters? His whole thing about bots was most likely the result of him telling his lawyers, "find something to get me out of this deal." I read that Musk waived due diligence in the acquisition/merger agreement.

It would be a baller move for the board to file a request with the DE court for an order for specific performance requiring Musk to complete the acquisition. If they received that then Musk's lenders are going to come knocking. Musk would have no choice but to sell TSLA shares, and that will drive down the price of TSLA further.

As for government action, I haven't seen reporting that any government agency is moving to impede the acquisition. What have you read?

I don't think the board has any other choice. They have a deal. If they accept anything less than what Musk agreed to the TWTR shareholders are going to come after them with all hell's fury.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 3:55 AM

[quote]He's so fucking repulsive.

And he's ugly too!

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 4:04 AM

r17, the SEC is reportedly investigating because Elon took too long to report his stake in Twitter, and the FTC is also investigating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 7:29 AM

R17, part of Twitter's valuation is the percentage of actual people (who respond to ads) to bots (who don't).

If Twitter has been lying about its user base to the SEC, and its advertisers, about the quality of its userbase, that is a problem for them.

I don't give a flying fuck whether Musk acquires it or not. I want Twitter to be more honest about its corporate culture, its politics, and its userbase. I think it's probably about 20-30 percent bots.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 7:37 AM

He bought it without asking any questions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 10:08 AM

This is basically the beginning of the end for him, isn’t it? How can anyone enter a contract into him after this?

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 10:12 AM

Latest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 10:27 AM

SEC investigation please.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 10:32 AM

I wouldn't like the job losses but they are all professional employees, right? So who cares if Twitter goes belly up. The world will be the better for that. Bravo Elon Musk!

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 10:39 AM

As a simple matter of contract law, waiving due diligence prevents the buyer from claiming that the seller's failure to disclose defects constitutes a breach by the seller that's sufficiently material to excuse performance by the buyer. Not that anything is ever simple in the world of Musk.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 1:18 PM

"I think he's going to totally tank Tesla, 6 months to a year my guess."

Are there any new models on the horizon? Are there revamps of current models in the works? If not, Tesla will go the way of the Chrysler brand.

And from what I've heard, the car itself may be advanced but the design and production processes are quite primitive at Tesla.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 1:25 PM

[Quote] This is basically the beginning of the end for him, isn’t it? How can anyone enter a contract into him after this?

Oh, you'd be surprised who people will do business with.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 2:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!