Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Baby Formula Shortage

Every report I've seen on this issue points out how minorities are particularly affected.

Why?

Why would it not be just as much of a problem for non-minorities?

by Anonymousreply 64May 21, 2022 6:19 PM

Crappier jobs, no lactation support?

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 1:45 AM

Maybe, an urban retail consists of smaller neighborhood stores that can receive and accommodate less stock, unlike a suburban supermarket? Although my suburban supermarket was fairly depleted, so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 1:48 AM

It's because the media frames minorities as being stupid and poor and pretty much like children who need looking after. It's insulting.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 1:51 AM

Creating racial division. Let no hair go unsplit!

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 1:59 AM

𝟓𝟎% of infants needing formula are on WIC

Why do you want to starve children of color?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 1:59 AM

Because people in their neighborhoods were stealing formula.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 2:00 AM

Why can't they give babies milkshakes diluted with a bit of sprite?

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 2:00 AM

It's more of a problem for minorities because minority women don't breastfeed as often and rely more on formula than white mothers. Black mothers tend to have jobs that make it hard to breastfeed.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 2:02 AM

What about local Wet Nurse groups, are there any?

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 2:11 AM

This is to intimidate the USDA and FDA to stop their doing their jobs to protect the public health.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 2:14 AM

Oh FUCK OFF you sniveling rusted and busted asshole. You know *nothing* about poverty and inter-generational trauma. You are

I

G

N

O

R

A

N

T

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote]Why can't they give babies milkshakes diluted with a bit of sprite

Are you crazy?? That’s full of a ton of sugar and additives!! They need to give babies Brawndo. It’s got electrolytes. That’s what babies crave!

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 2:32 AM

R8, are you under the impression that white mothers don't have jobs?

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 2:36 AM

Pineapple juice?

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 2:39 AM

Women with better paying/white-collar jobs tend to have an easier time breast-feeding because they can take regular, private breaks to pump. If you work in a retail or fast food type job your boss might not look so kindly on a 20 minute break to pump.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 2:40 AM

What? Whitey McWhiterson can’t google this?

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 2:43 AM

[quote] What about local Wet Nurse groups, are there any?

Some vigilante wetnurse groups are forming apparently but wearing Disney costumes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 2:43 AM

[quote]𝟓𝟎% of infants needing formula are on WIC

That many people had children they can't afford

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote] That many people had children they can't afford

We prefer to call them our base

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 2:47 AM

This site has been taken over by right wing trolls.The DNC base is anyone who isn’t an evil bigoted idiot who wants to turn America into nazi Germany

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 2:50 AM

Some years ago I was working a second job at a Kroger's. We consistently had rings of thieves who would steal diapers and formula to resell. Sort of a black market thing.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 2:51 AM

Meanwhile, the Republican base:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 2:55 AM

I wish they would use the formula shortage to emphasize breast feeding more. The American Pediatric Association recommends babies are exclusively breast-fed for at least the first six months of life. Supplementing with formula is one thing, but I think more women should breast-fed. There are so many important benefits that come with it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 3:06 AM

Go woke go broke.

They want to divide people. I hear this stupid shit from woke people all the time. No matter how bad your situation is as a white person, you couldn’t possibly suffer as much as a minority. Just because.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 3:09 AM

We don't have a baby food shortage, we have a surplus of babies.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 3:18 AM

Wrong!

It affects US most of all!

Just like abortion!

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 3:21 AM

If everyone would have just boycotted baby formula after that nasty Nestles situation there wouldn’t be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote[We prefer to call them our base —DNC

You do know that more white people receive, WIC, food stamps, medicaid and welfare? They do

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 3:21 AM

Generally speaking, minorities are socioeconomically disadvantaged. Wealthier people can afford buy in bulk. Wealthier people have the time and money to bounce around several stores to find what they need. Wealthier neighborhoods have a greater number of local stores. People in poor neighborhoods are out of luck when the one supermarket in a 30 mile radius isn't getting restocked in a timely fashion.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 3:21 AM

R23 I hope you’re joking. As a new parent, the hospital shoved breastfeeding only cultism down our throats the entire hospital stay. They also shame you for using breast milk but in a bottle and bottle feeding. It’s crazy how much hospital staff talk down to women and couldn’t care less about their well-being as new mothers.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2022 3:23 AM

R28 Of course they do. They're the largest demographic. They also make up the most car owners for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2022 3:24 AM

And I even say that as someone whose partner DOES breastfeed. But if you don’t, prepare to get talked shit to for years by medical professionals and shamed over and over and told you just aren’t doing it right if it hurts and you need to try harder.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2022 3:25 AM

R28, which is it? White women are more dependent on welfare or white women are more affluent and able to breastfeed in comfort?

I swear, the racial bullshit is just too fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2022 5:27 AM

My mom chose to bottle feed exclusively. She said it was so dad could be part of the experience. Now I'm wondering what that says about women who don't want to breast feed? She also often to bottle feed my sibling. She had the ability to.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 5:28 AM

What really gets my goat is the media pushing the idea that homemade formula is basically poison, when we all know that is not true. The FDA is just another corporate shill for Abbot and other corporations. They're like "sorry there's no formula" but if you can't breastfeed they give absolutely no other options and fearmonger about home made formula which is basically just nonfat milk, water, honey or corn syrup and a bit of infant vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 5:30 AM

I was exclusively bottle fed. At 2 hours old, I was like boob? Ew, no.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2022 5:30 AM

Not nonfat milk, I meant evaporated milk. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2022 5:31 AM

I always wondered if there might be a coronation between bottle fed vs. breastfed and the gays. Everyone state whether you were tit or bottle.

Bottle

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2022 5:48 AM

Lol, yes, let’s crown the breastfeeder! All hail breast feeders!

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2022 12:17 PM

Breast milk is good for babies, research has shown. Breast milk is free. Unless you absolutely cannot nurse during a shortage of baby formula, why on earth would you do anything else? Inconvenient? Yes. But it's a reliable source. Right? That's what boobs and nipples are for, isn't it? Or you can just keep worrying about the shortage. If that's what you want for you and your baby, fine. SMH

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2022 12:24 PM

La leche league local R40 has spoken, embrace the boob and latch on for the long haul!

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2022 12:29 PM

R8 nailed it— and R11 is on target. DL ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2022 12:56 PM

The same eldergays who rant and rail over Republican men getting up in women's business when it comes to abortion are more than happy to get up in women's business when it comes to breastfeeding.

I've never seen so many people lecturing others on something they have zero experience with but want to act like experts anyway.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2022 1:06 PM

Hitler’s mother gave him formula and look how he turned out!!

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2022 2:10 PM

R44 = Mayim Bialik.

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2022 2:11 PM

Maybe it’s a sign from the gods that we should be having a baby shortage?

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2022 3:11 PM

[quote] Supplementing with formula is one thing, but I think more women should breast-fed.

Do you have a dick? Are you a lez? If so, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote] You do know that more white people receive, WIC, food stamps, medicaid and welfare? They do

Not true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2022 3:35 PM

Every kid in my family was bottle fed and our parents were bottle fed. We're all healthy as horses and the odd thing is a lot of the kids who were breastfed got way more colds than us and many of the ladies I know who do it now have sickly kids.

Is there a correlation between infant maladies and getting crap from the mother? One girl has horrible allergies and so did both of her kids. Always sick and screaming. 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2022 5:31 PM

In the end it's no one's business whether women bottle feed or flop a tit out.

Some of the breast is best nuts sound like psycho bullies.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2022 5:35 PM

White House shamed into action.

Even with a nonsensical code name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2022 11:33 PM

"Operation Fly Formula" sounds unsanitary. But hoof that they are finally, after 10 months, using the Defense Production Act to speed up production.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2022 11:44 PM

^good, not hoof

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2022 11:44 PM

This is certainly the right question for this forum.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2022 11:57 PM

Coupled with the impending Abortion Ban, I honestly believe this is part of the GOP's war against infants, children, and families.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote]Breast milk is good for babies, research has shown. Breast milk is free. Unless you absolutely cannot nurse during a shortage of baby formula, why on earth would you do anything else?

once a woman's milk is dried up, she can't produce anymore. Got any suggestions for that Mr Know it all? Or should we call you Dr because you have your Google M.D?

And here's a little fact, if you feed your kids fast food once a week, that negates all the benefits of breast feeding. Now stop talking about things you know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2022 3:51 AM

[quote]"Operation Fly Formula" sounds unsanitary.

That is a stupid name. The repugs will have a field day with that

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2022 3:52 AM

Fuck off, R47.

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2022 4:17 AM

I just find it odd that all the women boo hooing on the news about how hard it is to find formula and their baby might starve, never EVER say, "I'm going to therefore be breast feeding". Or "I've tried breastfeeding and my tits a useless". It's like "shhhhh, don't ever mention that they have to big free meals hanging right under their chin. Explain yourselves, women!

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2022 4:22 AM

Thank your mother for the fact that she fed you at all, R59, frankly she (and the world) would be better off if she dealt with you the same way they used to deal with sickly and ugly children in Sparta.

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2022 5:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 21, 2022 4:07 PM

Chest milk contains micro plastics!!

by Anonymousreply 62May 21, 2022 5:41 PM

OP - the media wants Americans to think that minorities are the only people who are marginalized. They also want Americans to think that only blacks are minorities.

That’s why.

by Anonymousreply 63May 21, 2022 5:46 PM

My mom used a bottle. She said breast feeding was for savages. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 64May 21, 2022 6:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!