Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People magazine, AKA "Kneepads" is a goner

Declining circulation, staff fury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 22, 2022 2:42 PM

They should get rid of it. It used to be reputable back in the day, but in recent years, it’s just a bunch of unreliable gossip that you can find anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 10:13 PM

Lizzo's issue was one of the lowest selling in magazine history.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 10:17 PM

Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 10:19 PM

Whatevs

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 10:22 PM

[quote]Is that true?

Probably the question People Magazine should have been asking itself over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 10:22 PM

I haven’t seen people buy a magazine in the longest time. Many of our stores still have huge magazine sections. Nobody browses them. Nobody purchases them (not just PEOPLE). I don’t know how they’re still able to keep printing. It can’t be financially feasible.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 10:27 PM

Sorry but People is not in commercial decline because of tabloidization. The more tabloid a cover, the more People's sales spike, no matter what people say publicly about their tastes. The magazine is in decline because print generally is in decline, and you can get entertainment and celebrity news free and much quicker online. People has a devoted readership over the age of 50, but very few younger people now buy print. Many people under 30 have never bought print. The print edition is now doomed. It's just a matter or when it closes; now or in 5 years. The brand itself is probably doomed because its website isn't that great or distinctive and there are a million alternatives that do it better.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 10:29 PM

RIPeople

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 10:36 PM

Why is she called Kneepads?

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 10:37 PM

Many magazines still exist in print form because of advertising scams. These magazines can boast they have a readership of XXX,000 people and sell ads based on that. But the truth is most of the copies are given away either free or discounted and no one knows how many people actually read them.Many people reading this post might have experienced ending a subscription to a magazine, but it still keeps coming to them free. This is why.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 10:40 PM

It's called Kneepads because it's so sycophantic to celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 10:41 PM

It's horrible and I never read it except waiting somewhere, but I'm sad to see all the magazines go whether I liked them or not. I still subscribe to several and will until they're all gone.

Yes. I'm old in gay years. And I like magazines. And books with actual pages. So there.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 10:44 PM

I really hate how media targets private individuals as it does in this article. I didn't read anything in that article that suggests the editor in chief is a monster. She was brought in to save a sinking ship that has no hope of staying afloat. But this article goes after her for nonsense, but I'm sure will have a negative impact on her career.

I spend way too much time on DL making merry fun of Hilaria Baldwin, Meghan Markle, the Judds, etc. It's a good time and a distraction. I don't think it's so terrible to gossip about people who are constantly grabbing the spotlight and pointing it in their direction. But leave private working stiffs alone.

I guess you could make a case that her job is to write about celebrities so she deserves it....

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 10:53 PM

There's really nothing that riles staff more than management imposing a new boss who doesn't understand the brand. Many of those staff who are griping would have worked there for decades and probably had an eye on the job themselves.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 10:56 PM

At one time People had actual journalistic credibility. I remember reading a great interview with John Lennon's killer, Mark Chapman. It was eerie, but it was actually a good article. Over the years it just became a fluffy little rag.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 11:02 PM

People's niche was to present "the truth" and to rigorously fact check. That's all well and good but a negative byproduct of that over the years has been celebrity sycophancy, because any claims had to be checked off and commented on by celebrity agents. Sometimes People has ended up printing lies if they are lies made by or sanctioned by the celebrity or their agent.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 11:42 PM

The glory days are over. I haven’t read People magazine in many years and I’m an eldergay. I stopped buying magazines since the internet explosion. They are a waste of money and natural resources.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] At one time People had actual journalistic credibility.

Oh honey....no.

It had slightly more of a Parade magazine vibe in its early days, but it's always been a gossip chasing machine. It was like Star magazine but with less bitter gossip.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 12:41 AM

They started sending it to me when my Entertainment Weekly subscription went digital. I told them to shove it and got a refund.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 12:47 AM

[quote] People's niche was to present "the truth" and to rigorously fact check.

So funny.

You were joking, of course.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 12:48 AM

No I'm not joking. I'd know as well. Whether the final product delivered on that prom is another story. But they never used unsourced quotes and everything needed to be fully fact checked. They had rigorous processes.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 12:51 AM

Gosh, I remember buying the tabloids as a treat when grocery shopping. I looked forward to it! And I kind of miss it. You'd have to wait every week to catch up on the gossip. Now that it's so readily available, it waters down the fun and is forced to find thousands of non-interesting folk to spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 1:06 AM

Love a good waiting room filled with People. Can blow through a few months in about 25 minutes and actually have lists of books I wanna get at the library or TV shows I never knew about. Even some music.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 1:11 AM

People didn't have anonymous sources telling nasty lies but it did have reps spinning sanctioned bullshit and nice glossy photo shoots.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 1:12 AM

People who read People are the suckiest people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 1:16 AM

Remember when Us Weekly was a slightly edgier version of People? It then abandoned that and went full tabloid. Why? Because that's what the market wanted, despite what consumers will say.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 1:22 AM

The recent Lizzo cover was the worst selling People magazine ever! Lol

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 1:30 AM

I remember in the 1990s, People was a really expensive subscription compared to all the others in the Publisher's Clearing House mailer. I used to help my grandmother with her choices. People was never in her budget.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 1:34 AM

Lizzo might be great at what she does, but she is a niche act and not suitable to cover a mass market weekly.

i can imagine the reasoning that was given for putting her on the cover, and some of it would have been ideological rather than commercial.

But to the audience for this sort of magazine she is NOT a cover.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 1:34 AM

Fuck Rupert Murdoch's NYPost!

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2022 1:39 AM

R28 I bet you were a good grandson. I wish we were friends.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2022 1:50 AM

So was People never any good? My mother used to read the hell out of it in the 80s. They had Hollywood Babylon too....

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2022 1:53 AM

People was the "quality" weekly celebrity magazine. If you believe such a thing is possible.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote]”She didn’t know who Channing Tatum was!” said the source.

Burn her!

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 2:03 AM

R27 we know since R2 told us

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 2:21 AM

The elderly ladies who still buy People aren't going to be interest in this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2022 2:25 AM

People has been the media outlet that has embarrassingly been pro-Meghan and Harry in this country.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2022 2:25 AM

They had much better writers in the 80's. I don't even know what it's supposed to be now. Mostly devoted to showcasing homes/movies/famous bodies that lost weight/recipes/celebrity lifestyle spin.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2022 2:56 AM

Wocha eat my ass?

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2022 2:58 AM

Operative word is " She." No doubt unqualified to hold the job, but got it because of quotas.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2022 4:37 AM

No. There is no need for affirmative action for women in the celebrity magazine world, so that would not have been a factor.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2022 4:50 AM

[quote] Many of those staff who are griping would have worked there for decades

Employees who work in the one job for 'decades' are considered to be dinosaurs and should be ejected!

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2022 4:53 AM

She'll be replaced by a black woman

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2022 4:53 AM

How about Lizzo?

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2022 4:53 AM

I used to get EW free because I'd gone to Comic Con or something.

We're in a digital world.

Princess Diana covers sold the best for them.

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2022 4:55 AM

You got EW free as part of an advertising sales scam. Free copies of magazines are used to artificially inflate readership figures so the publishers can sell pages to advertising clients.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2022 4:58 AM

R46, yeah, I figure that's what it was.

It was a scam but I got it for free.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2022 5:01 AM

But actually, is it artificial if more readers were getting the mag?

I wasn't a paying reader but I was reading it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2022 5:02 AM

Free copies are a problem because there's a good chance that if you didn't buy it, you aren't going to read it, or read it closely. Also free copies might sometimes go to people who aren't really the target demo for the advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2022 5:07 AM

It used to be a an informative magazine that most people read. It seemed unbiased in its reporting. It changed after 9/11. It became more “patriotic” in its vibe—a slight move to the right with hand-wringing type stories appealing to the “thoughts and prayers” type crowd.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2022 5:13 AM

People is OVER. It's not really this editor's fault or Lizzos or anyone else's. Everyone goes online for celeb gossip and interviews now. Nothing will turn the clock back to 1999. It's like the telephone landline, there was nothing wrong with it but it was eventually replaced by something even more convenient. I do feel a bit of amused nostalgia when I remember being 12 and getting so excited to see the new issue every Friday.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2022 5:33 AM

"Sources told The Post that under Wakeford, People had been selling more than 200,000 copies at the newsstand a week. Since then, newsstand sales have been uneven, with a May 2 Prince Harry cover dipping to about 160,000 copies sold, and a March 14 Lizzo cover cratering to between 125,000- 150,000 copies sold, which is said to be one of the worst selling issues in People’s half-century history."

Not the People's Prince flopping right above Lizzo!

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2022 5:40 AM

That was a cover headlined "The Prince Harry Interview", with just his face. No Meghan and no relationship or family lines.

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2022 5:44 AM

Any word on what magazine will peddle Andy Cohen on the cover now? What good is a vanity brat if People Magazine isn't there to brown nose it?

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2022 5:45 AM

A cable TV gay father isn't mass market enough to cover in these desperate times.

by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2022 5:46 AM

R55 = Are you kidding? Now they peddle every "influencer" you have never heard of all thru their magazine and website.

by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2022 6:03 AM

I got a cheap subscription a few years ago but cancelled when it ended because every other cover was about the British royal family and I have absolutely zero interest in them.

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2022 6:03 AM

When something is on the cover all the time it means it's been working.

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2022 11:03 AM

I've had a subscription to Entertainment Weekly for years, which I appreciated due to its coverage of all current media. They did some surprisingly creative pieces. It gave me something short to read on the toilet. Last month I was disappointed to notified that it had ceased publishing the paper edition and that they had automatically changed my subscription to send People instead. I immediately cancelled, but still have received 2 issues, which are sitting unread. And now that's gone too, but will not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2022 11:11 AM

I have been receiving People for free for years. It pretty much sucks as a publication but I’ll miss it a bit when it goes solely digital.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2022 11:29 AM

Hang she learned anything from the gobs of photos that shit magazine puts out? get your LIPS 👄 plumped, you look like a mean old lipless woman who can’t vice head.

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2022 11:43 AM

I still like getting PEOPLE in print, for the john. And where else could you learn (in her exclusive interview) that Selma Blair started life as a boozer by drinking too much wine at her family's seder when she was a 7 year-old tyke?

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2022 11:45 AM

[quote] AKA "Kneepads"

No one has ever called it this

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2022 2:09 PM

People used to be dishy. It's basically been a mouthpiece for publicists for decades now.

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2022 2:56 PM

Exactly r64, any time someone had some PR they wanted to put out, they went to People Magazine, who were always willing to do the softball interviews and glowing coverage.

I like People because it tends to be neutral in coverage, while tabloids are putting political spins on basically everything these days. People is great for bare-bones, fact-filled entertainment articles. But unfortunately you can't make money doing that in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2022 3:07 PM

I remember the first issue. My mother saw it at the checkout and she bought it. At that time there weren’t any magazines with celeb gossip really, at least not that you could just buy when checking out your groceries. At least not that I recall, I was just 10.

I read it and enjoyed the articles even though I didn’t know who anyone in the magazine was!

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Wait. So Closer Magazine--which puts people like Charo and Florence Henderson on the cover--is still being printed but People has to go virtual?

Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2022 3:20 PM

I'll miss People

Fun fact, Madonna had appeared as a People cover story over 30 times

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2022 3:27 PM

People was a great magazine to take to the bathroom to read while you poop.

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2022 3:29 PM

People was just that boring stuff in the checkout line next to the real good stuff, Weekly World News.

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2022 3:47 PM

My sister in law gives me her copies - so I read them when they're a few weeks old.

That new editor's page is awful. It was so bad from the very first time it ran. Go, People, and take US Weekly with you - if it's still around pimping the Kartrashians.

by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2022 4:46 PM

Oh No! Where else can I follow my Trevie Donovan's search for the right gal!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2022 5:28 PM

I used to read it at the hair salon and doctors office but since Covid they no longer have magazines out. So that may have hurt them too.

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2022 6:47 PM

R49, that's fair but EW going after a Comic Con crowd seems strategic.

The whole problem is EVERYONE has a platform now to do their own Top Ten lists; they can only go to specialty sites for their interests.

I never was into the Book Reviews or Theater in the EW sections. (Sometimes, I was). Plus, online beats print with news any day of the week.

I flipped through People's Oscar issue; beautiful pix but nothing I hadn't read or seen before.

by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2022 7:37 PM

[quote]Operative word is " She." No doubt unqualified to hold the job, but got it because of quotas.

This comment is hilariously off-base. Go look up Janice Min. Then look up Bonnie Fuller. Then look up Anna Wintour etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2022 8:20 PM

R58, damn straight!

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2022 8:54 PM

R67, older folks tend to buy print and still have fond memories for Charo and other 70s icons who are in their, well, 70s.

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2022 8:55 PM

Magazines targeted at the elderly will be among the very last to go.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2022 1:12 AM

They need me on the cover more often to keep the magazine relevant.

My husband is willing to appear with me and our rates are very reasonable for royalty.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2022 3:40 AM

My gay barber's gayish small barber shop now displays several magazines again, but still not at my gay communiy health center here in Boston.

At the beginning of the pandemic, it seemed risky to even touch books, newspapers and magazines which had been handled by others; but it seems some in this thread read magazinrs passed on to them by others without fear of Covid?

Yes, yes, we know nowadays that touching something is very unlikely to pass along Covid, but don't some of us still feel quesy about touching magazines in a waiting room or books in a library nowadays? Maybe it's behavior some or most of us have learned from Covid and can't easily change at this point?

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2022 4:18 AM

Reply 80 here: and I find that Page Six gossip in the NY Post is quite busy daily with similar gossip. Many here seem to read it regularly?

So, People isn't so necessary as it's printed a week or so earlier. But I guess People has lifestyle stories and such, not just gossip?

Page Six even has an app.. But it covers so, so much Kardashians and Real Housewives crap. Aaargh!

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2022 4:24 AM

"Lizzo might be great at what she does, but she is a niche act and not suitable to cover a mass market weekly."

LOL, no one is reading People anymore anyway, no matter who is on the cover

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2022 4:29 AM

Bullshit. It sells around 200K on news stands (on a good week) but many more on subscription. Humans are still reading People. Just in much lower numbers than in the past, and most of them are over 45, with very little recruitment of new and younger readers.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2022 4:33 AM

Subscribers who had subscriptions to the now defunct Entertainment Weekly were supposed to get the balance of their subscriptions substituted with PEOPLE.

If PEOPLE closes down, I wonder what the EW subscribers will then be offered.

Guess the publishers will simply have to refund the EW subscribers their subscription balance.

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2022 4:40 AM

I got a notice that they will sub Playgirl for the balance.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2022 5:44 AM

[quote]I got a notice that they will sub Playgirl for the balance.

Of course, not true. Is Playgirl still being published?!

You're such a comedian. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2022 6:40 AM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2022 9:15 AM

The writing was once very good, believe it or not. Literate and lively. It was a new genre in a way..

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2022 9:50 AM

In the late 90s / early 00s heyday of the celebrity journalism, People was always 100% accurate but unexciting because they had to keep celebrities happy. US Weekly printed the edgy-but-true stuff celebrities didn’t want People printing. EW printed industry gossip, as did Vanity Fair (with a literary bent) and Page Six. The rest of the tabloids were fictional.

[quote] Remember when Us Weekly was a slightly edgier version of People? It then abandoned that and went full tabloid. Why? Because that's what the market wanted, despite what consumers will say.

Because the National Enquirer’s parent company bought US Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2022 10:25 AM

The market does want tabloid. It's why ALL these titles drifted that way.

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2022 10:47 AM

[quote] “She didn’t know who Channing Tatum was!” said the source.

[quote]Insiders cited a recent incident in which People staffers pushed to get Jada Pinkett-Smith for a recent cover of the magazine after her husband Will Smith slapped comedian Chris Rock onstage at the Academy Awards over Rock’s joke about her alopecia.

Okay, I actually like her now. While People may be in trouble, this sounds like a hit piece maybe concocted by the guy she replaced. All in all, magazines are dying out. They’re all the same and those tabloids that are left are all: Joe Biden Is Dying every week. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy that Closer magazine which covers stars over 40 and Old Hollywood. At least it’s something different. People does have the occasional feature on things like murder investigations or court trials, which can be interesting. I could see them doing what Entertainment Weekly did and go quarterly. Why didn’t they change the name of that magazine to EW?

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2022 11:02 AM

Can we get rid of Anna Wintour now?

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2022 11:03 AM

Why has the NY Post made a national magazine? People would scoop that shit up in a minute.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2022 11:04 AM

The sharks are circling Anna.

Younger women in that office are doing what they always do - character demolition based on her perceived moral failings, to push her out and make way for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2022 11:07 AM

[quote] Wait. So Closer Magazine--which puts people like Charo and Florence Henderson on the cover--is still being printed but People has to go virtual?

Closet covers interesting people past and present and there’s the nostalgia factor. It’s a breath of fresh air not having the Kardashians or some “social media” influencer looking back at you on the cover week after week.

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2022 11:09 AM

Sadly, the person who takes over for Anna will probably be some SJW freak who will put freaks in dresses on the cover week after week, along with the fat is beautiful slobs.

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2022 11:10 AM

At least they will probably change their hair style more than once every 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 97May 19, 2022 1:50 PM

People Magazine was VERY different in the '70s and '80s. It wasn't really about gossip; it was about, well... people.

So you'd get an interview with a celebrity, who also graced the cover. Usually a film or TV star. The interview was done in person and was an exclusive, not just a repackaged press release or email Q and A. They didn't ask incredibly probing questions, but it also wasn't total fluff. You came away knowing a bit more about that star than you had before, in a time when celebrities were quite enigmatic.

There would also be stories/interviews with and about authors, about true crime events/victims, and always one story about an everyday person who had one notable thing about them, some quirk or maybe a business they ran that was out of the ordinary. "Meet the youngest skateboard champion in the world!" or the like.

And of course there were very short reviews of movies, music, and books for people who just wanted to get an idea whether something might be worth their time without reading a thoughtfully worded dissertation.

People magazine was by no means deep or intellectual, but it offered something that was wanted at the time; it filled a content vacuum. It also did what it did VERY well, which is why it was so popular.

Now, of course, and for the last 15-20 years at least, People had been supplanted by the internet. Celebrities aren't enigmas; 95% of them overshare on social media 24/7. Those capsule reviews are almost the only kinds of reviews there are these days. Authors? Everyday people? Who wants to read about THEM? True crime is covered far more extensively in many different venues.

People became a victim of the very culture it spearheaded.

by Anonymousreply 98May 19, 2022 2:10 PM

below is exhibit A as to why no one reads this rag anymore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 19, 2022 2:17 PM

R33 is right on. Time Life was the parent company / still carrying a lot of prestige, but all falling apart as the years progressed.

by Anonymousreply 100May 19, 2022 2:24 PM

R33, R98 and R100 are right. People came out of Time magazine as a spinoff.. I think they had a People page or something. It WAS journalism of a sort. Compare with The National Enquirer and the rest of the tabloid trash. Less likely to have hostile scoops, -People would not have reported on John Edwards' affair- but also not going to print a bunch of BS like the tabloids. Some celebrity stuff, some "human interest" about ordinary people who were unsual in some way. Of course it was a "frau" product. It was very middle of the road, like Time and Newsweek, network television or department stores, and has declined for the same reasons in a more segmented world.

by Anonymousreply 101May 19, 2022 2:29 PM

Print media will be gone with the Boomers. Magazines, newspapers etc. They're the only audience for it.

by Anonymousreply 102May 19, 2022 3:24 PM

[quote]The recent Lizzo cover was the worst selling People magazine ever! Lol

It's interesting how some celebrities are hyped to hell and back which would lead one to believe they're hugely popular with the public but when the public actually has a say in matters, like buying actual product or watching media featuring said celebrity, one sees what the truth really is.

So many celebrities are nothing buy hype and smoke and mirrors but are not really as popular with the general public as all the bullshit would have one believe.

by Anonymousreply 103May 19, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote]Many of those staff who are griping would have worked there for decades

Nobody works anywhere for "decades" anymore. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 104May 19, 2022 3:31 PM

This magazine was RIDICULED, starting the day the first issue appeared, for its vapid, empty-headed, "celebrity" ass-kissing. It was post-literate on the day it was born, and it never got any better. Folks on here bemoaning its passing, after some 50 years of sycophantic drivel...Whew. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 105May 19, 2022 3:31 PM

r105 it was a big part of pop culture of the 80s and 90s. There was no internet and entertainment news was limited. Hard to believe now, but there wasn't a huge amount of coverage of celebrities back then so People filled a niche. Everybody and their mother read People magazine back then.

by Anonymousreply 106May 19, 2022 3:40 PM

NOBODY I knew then would have been caught dead with a copy of that rag in their hands. NOBODY. -R105.

by Anonymousreply 107May 19, 2022 3:42 PM

The National Enquirer with more pictures. A joke. The beginning of the end of literacy in the US.

by Anonymousreply 108May 19, 2022 3:44 PM

r107 lots of people read it back in the day, even if just at the checkout. People magazine was everywhere. Esp. among people who worked in entertainment or other creative fields. It was just a big part of pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 109May 19, 2022 3:44 PM

I got a free one year subscription that expired several months ago and the magazine did indeed stop coming, so it isn't always the case that you will keep getting it to inflate subscriber numbers.

by Anonymousreply 110May 19, 2022 3:47 PM

I was the local Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and was surprised how many magazines are still on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 111May 19, 2022 3:49 PM

I should be on the LAST cover too!

by Anonymousreply 112May 19, 2022 3:56 PM

Wasn't Jeff Goldblum's character embarrassed to work at People in The Big Chill? People was never cool, but it was relevant in a mainstream Jay Leno kind of way. I am not clear that it made the world a worse place.

by Anonymousreply 113May 19, 2022 4:02 PM

[quote]The National Enquirer with more pictures. A joke. The beginning of the end of literacy in the US.

Bullshit. People magazine was just an update of a tried and true formula of celebrity magazines. The movie magazines of the 30s and 40s, Confidential in the 50s and several others. That form of journalism had already been around for decades, People just repackaged it for a more modern (at the time) audience.

by Anonymousreply 114May 19, 2022 5:53 PM

They wanted a punchline for the video.

by Anonymousreply 115May 19, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote]I was the local Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and was surprised how many magazines are still on the shelves.

That’s the only reason people go to Barnes and Noble. They take a stack of magazines, order a Starbucks, and sit at a table or couch to read through them for hours.

by Anonymousreply 116May 20, 2022 1:44 AM

[quote]Since then, newsstand sales have been uneven, with a May 2 Prince Harry cover dipping to about 160,000 copies sold, and a March 14 Lizzo cover cratering to between 125,000- 150,000 copies sold, which is said to be one of the worst selling issues in People’s half-century history.

How is it possible that the two most important voices of our generation be the worst selling? They’re everything! They give me life. Who is trying to silence their voice. They are just living their truth and living their best life. I hate it here.

by Anonymousreply 117May 20, 2022 1:51 AM

My memory is all the Hollywood personality rags up through the 60s were guilty pleasures you'd find in a beauty parlor.......People was the magazine you'd feel comfortable putting in a doctors office waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 118May 20, 2022 2:03 AM

People magazine was "respectable" celebrity bullshit. You could have it out on your coffee table or kitchen counter when guests came over. You didn't have to hide it in a drawer and pretend you never read it like you did with the National Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 119May 20, 2022 2:10 AM

When I do thumb through a People nowadays I do get a chuckle that there is ALWAYS one true crime article.

by Anonymousreply 120May 20, 2022 3:14 PM

When People magazine dies Jennifer Aniston can start looking at burial plots for her profile.

by Anonymousreply 121May 22, 2022 4:46 AM

Thank god we still have Civil War Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 22, 2022 5:10 AM

btw, I always thought Kneepads referenced TMZ, not People

by Anonymousreply 123May 22, 2022 5:20 AM

[quote]Nobody works anywhere for "decades" anymore. WTF.

Perhaps in your world. Years ago, lots of people started at the bottom in many companies, then ended up with great jobs at the same company.

A late relative had a crappy low-level job at an insurance company, then ended up an architect at the same company. The company also covered college tuition and was always promoting their workers from within.

Today, young people are treated like crap, they're disposable. There will always be another person to take their place. Amazon is a great example of a terrible company. That arrogant freak Bezos calls his workers "lazy".

by Anonymousreply 124May 22, 2022 1:09 PM

[quote]Perhaps in your world.

No, in the real world

r124 what you described doesn't really happen anymore. Again, DLers are living decades in the past and know nothing about the modern world.

by Anonymousreply 125May 22, 2022 2:38 PM

Some DLers. But you can hold onto some jobs for decades still, mostly state employment.

by Anonymousreply 126May 22, 2022 2:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!