Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Heterosexuality is déclassé, why be “normative”, when you can catch a little of the glamour previously hoarded by the gays

[quote]heterosexuals are an endangered species. A recent survey uncovered that 21% of young adults (born between 1997 and 2003) in America identify as “LGBTQ+”.

[…]

[quote]The powerful organs of the LGBTQ+ movement have spent the last decade saying, “let’s end stigma, break taboos, and stop judging”. What this actually means is “let’s move stigma, place taboos around other things, and carry on judging people but for different reasons”.

[quote]Who would want to be “normative”, when you can catch a little of the glamour previously hoarded by the gays? A “normative” identity is increasingly seen as ethically dubious in the West; to be socially acceptable, to gain cachet and status, people have to identify as some kind of minority. Race is increasingly rigidly policed and culturally segregated, with white people cast as original sinners because of what they look like. But fear not! Anybody can identify into some spicy high-status oppression at the drop of a rainbow-striped Stetson by claiming to be non-heterosexual, no questions asked.

[quote]At the further end of the culture, prominent heterosexuals such as Laurie Penny, Jameela Jamil and Demi Lovato now all claim to be “queer”. Heterosexuality now carries such low status, in their bananas world, that they’ve felt the need to disavow it.

[quote]There are further incentives for people to identify as non-hetero in Hollywood, the arbiter of our culture. Take the bizarre new “representation” quota for eligibility at the Oscars — where at least 30% of characters in a film must come from “underrepresented minority groups” or a main storyline must revolve around such groups or it won’t even be considered for an award. It would strike dead most of human culture accrued over millennia, but actors and writers must now obey this peculiar edict or lose their careers.

[quote]It’s all deeply patronising, and borderline homophobic. There is a kind of fetishisation of non-hetero relationships going on here, an element of voyeurism not much different from straight girls who kiss each other at parties to get the boys’ attention. It is also artistically crass. It means that unalloyed heterosexuality can never be depicted, and has a trickle-down effect of making it culturally unacceptable.

[quote]It’s no coincidence that all this is happening where #MeToo came to a head — making heterosexuality seem not only embarrassing but frankly dangerous. But Hollywood is also representative of a wider social movement.

[…]

[quote]Let me be clear, I’m not blaming heterosexuals for their current predicament; I am blaming the culture that’s increasingly scattering obstacles in their path. When I encounter a functioning straight couple nowadays, I want to cheer.

[quote]Because at a very basic level, heterosexuality is of major importance, as the great motor of humanity. Without it, nobody would exist. It is deeply foolish to ignore or wish away the material reality, and the importance, of heterosexuality, and wrong to judge different kinds of straight relationships entered into by choice. There is nothing wrong with traditional straight couples and nothing wrong with progressive straight couples. They don’t matter more than the rest of us, but they matter in a different and significant way. And they are, let us not forget, the majority.

[quote]Shame about innocuous things is dangerous. As a gay man (sorry) who came of age in the Eighties, I know that only too well. It should not be so boring or gauche to be heterosexual that people are desperate to deny it. So let us have more heteronormativity and end the stigma. Take it from a homosexual, you’re just fine as you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 11:51 AM

[quote] Because at a very basic level, heterosexuality is of major importance, as the great motor of humanity. Without it, nobody would exist.

Profound insight.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 2:57 PM

And all this time all that was missing was a strong defense of heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 3:03 PM

That article sounds as if it was written by Milo-lite or a turbo-Sarandon. And is factually wrong on so many things. Last time I looked, 99.9% of the "love stories" in Hollywood films were all of the "unalloyed heterosexuality" type—no exceptions.

And from a site called "unherd.com"? Sounds like a site for right-wing sheeples wearing wolf's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote]Last time I looked, 99.9% of the "love stories" in Hollywood films were all of the "unalloyed heterosexuality" type—no exceptions.

The author doesn't say anything about "love stories" but does mention the quota for Oscar eligibility. Your disliking him pointing out that "Anybody can identify into some spicy high-status oppression at the drop of a rainbow-striped Stetson by claiming to be non-heterosexual, no questions asked" does not make his statement untrue. Celebrities who announce they are non-binary, gender fluid, gender non-conforming and queer gain attention that they wouldn't receive otherwise, it's an effective strategy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 4:02 PM

Nobody's going to ask about the "powerful organs"??

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote]heterosexuals are an endangered species. A recent survey uncovered that 21% of young adults (born between 1997 and 2003) in America identify as “LGBTQ+”.

Last I checked, 79% still qualifies as a majority. An overwhelming one, even.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 5:08 PM

Hetero men are too violent. In the future they will be put down.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 5:54 PM

"I'm an out and proud QUEER man!"

Also "Queer" man:

"Put a penis in my mouth? Or up my ass?? Gross! 🤢🤮

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 6:14 PM

Put down by the nonviolent r7? That's going to be tricky.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 6:22 PM

This is why WE hate THEM.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 6:24 PM

OP linked to an article written by a right-winger. Troll.

Just another right-wing freak trying to claim that gays are "taking over"

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]Put down by the nonviolent [R7]? That's going to be tricky.

Not really. The non-violent can be pretty smart.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 6:36 PM

r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 7:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 7:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 7:16 PM

The author is fat and gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 10:33 AM

lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 10:33 AM

R11

Yep, and this language is dangerous. It’s the language that’s going to fuel right-wing mass shooters to target the LGBT community (and when that happens, trolls like OP will blame trans instead of the right-wing).

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 10:57 AM

WW for r2

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 11:34 AM

Heterophobia is alive and thriving!

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 11:39 AM

These people are so... triggered. Pathetic, really. Give a minority an inch, and they all lose their shit.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 11:45 AM

I know 25 year old white women who are married to men but identify as queer because they love watching Drag Race and want to make out with Kristen Stewart. Pussies eaten? Zero.

They’re longing to be “othered” so they can be take advantage of being essentially married, straight white women and get cool points for being a minority.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 11:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!