Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Could the rogue Supreme Court overturn Brown v. Board of Education?

If that goes, segregation comes back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 4:01 AM

With honoring precedent one of the Supreme Court's core tenets, it's rare for justices to overturn cases. Experts say the principle of adhering to earlier decisions might not save Roe v. Wade. It happens rarely, but the Supreme Court has overturned major precedents in the past.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 1:58 PM

Why not? They have the votes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 2:02 PM

It is eminently evident every time someone posts one of these hyperbolic threads that the poster is woefully clueless about how the Supreme Court works.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 2:07 PM

Plessy forever!!!!

Idiots.

Seriously though, if the whole undermining of Roe is because it's got a weak historical basis in legal precedent, then we might as well go back to being British subjects because to his whole democracy thing is only a couple hundred years old and the Brits do have us beat.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 2:11 PM

Divine Right of Kings!

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 2:12 PM

Once Roe is down they'll come for gay marriage

Then Loving

Then Brown

And then we'll literally be back to 1954.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 2:12 PM

[quote] the poster is woefully clueless about how the Supreme Court works.

r3 Op is not the only one who is woefully clueless about how the Supreme Court works.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 2:16 PM

Yes, I'm sure Clarence Thomas has just been waiting for the chance to make his own marriage illegal all this time 🙄

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 2:26 PM

Sorry, this was in reply to r6.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote] I'm sure Clarence Thomas has just been waiting for the chance to make his own marriage illegal all this time

After his last on camera statement, I'm not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 2:31 PM

There's a possibility that the GOP will try to reverse Brown v Board. It would fit into their current "blacks are behind all crime and ruin schools and take all the welfare" talking points. They won't reverse Loving, there's no political motivation to do so.

Remember that the GOP wants a culture war and to stoke grievance politics. They also want to reverse things like Roe because they know there will be a battle to reinstate it in some way, meaning they can continue to use the abortion issue to get votes.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 2:32 PM

There is no right to education in the Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 2:34 PM

There is no right to marriage either.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 2:41 PM

And before they do overturn Brown vs. Board of Education, the GOP will dispatch Tucker Carlson and an army of paid trolls to explain how this isn't really racist.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 2:45 PM

Perfectly Putinesque.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 2:54 PM

[quote]Yes, I'm sure Clarence Thomas has just been waiting for the chance to make his own marriage illegal all this time 🙄

Oh honey. You think Clarence Thomas really believes he's black?

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 2:55 PM

They didn't integrate the schools where I lived until 1970.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2022 3:01 PM

I cannot imagine what this country would be like if this happened.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2022 5:59 PM

Don't blacks at elite liberal arts colleges and university demand their own living spaces, academic programs, deans, and rules?

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2022 6:49 PM

Can't wait for public school districts to be allowed to ban practicing Christians.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2022 7:41 PM

All gun restrictions will be gone soon based on the SCOTUS calendar. NY will loose and guns will be everywhere. Then contraception and then marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2022 7:51 PM

Most schools are already segregated especially in wealthy suburbs and cities

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2022 7:55 PM

It has already started in Trump-Land

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2022 7:58 PM

[quote]Don't blacks at elite liberal arts colleges and university demand their own living spaces, academic programs, deans, and rules?

This would be a clever way for them to get the Brown decision reviewed. Have a white challenge his exclusion from that stuff on account of being white. They the court can uphold the exclusion and, in effect, reinstate Plessy v. Fergurson.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2022 8:49 PM

I always wondered what it would be like to live in the 1950s. Looks like I may get the chance in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2022 8:55 PM

What r22 said. Segregation doesn't have to come back; it never went away.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2022 9:08 PM

Well the democrats want to move to a race based system, which is segregation. That is what quotas are.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2022 9:19 PM

No basis to determine in 2022 that states can maintain "separate but equal" public facilities.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2022 9:40 PM

[quote]Well the democrats want to move to a race based system, which is segregation. That is what quotas are.

Bitch you aren't the red queen. You don't get to make up your own definitions.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!