Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Elon Musk Twitter Deal is Pretty Much Dead

[QUOTE] With this latest Twitter CEO-targeting tweet, the shitposting billionaire may be engaging in more trollfaced bullyboy tactics. Or, well, he's looking for a way to exit the deal entirely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2022 3:15 PM

Musk is such a twat.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 10:45 AM

The SEC needs to go after this douche ... hard. He plays with the markets like a toddler with Legos.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 10:47 AM

So all the hype was for nothing then? I wonder what will happen now. Does he take over or not? I prefer the latter but.. Super confusing what’s happening with this.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 10:47 AM

LOL. He was trolling us for how long now with taking over Twitter?

OH NO! He's getting Trump back on Twitter, OH NO!

The only good thing out of it is Trump himself and the Deplorables probably thought the Twitter ban would be lifted.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 10:50 AM

You guys hear him apart but honestly, it sounds logical.

At my previous job, my old boss sold it to my new boss and there was a lot of drama over certain financial things.

She almost didn’t buy the business over gift certificate records. He had not recorded how many gift certificates he had given out and she was furious. I’m sure that was a tipping point among many other things he hadn’t recorded but gift certificates are money and she wanted every penny counted and recorded before she bought it.

So it makes sense. Elon wants to know the dirt and spam and what’s being padded on Twitter.

I sell Instagram accounts to models. I create Instagram pages that feature you know, buff sexy men or gorgeous women and I use hashtags and etc to work up and organic following and then I sell them to models who fit the account. And I provide the stats to show the followers are organic and not bots. Cause imagine spending money for a bot account.

It’s just business.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 10:52 AM

Musk KNEW that Twitter has a fake account and troll problem from the start. Trying to back out of the deal by saying "I want Twitter to officially admit that it has a fake account and troll problem!" is absolute trolling on his part and a cowardly, and most likely pre-planned, way to back out of this lame PR stunt.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 10:59 AM

People got fired at Twitter to appease Musk, so I have to assume that was his goal, along with PR shenanigans and probably some stock profits somewhere. Whether he had it in for those people who got fired or just wanted to see people get fired for the lulz is anyone's guess.

All those Musk fanboys who were screaming 24/7 about how this was going to restore free speech have been curiously silent for a couple of days now. And I doubt we're going to hear any mea culpas from the guys who didn't believe those of us who said the deal was hinky and would probably never even go through.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 11:10 AM

[QUOTE]It's notable that the Tesla CEO waived his right to do due diligence when he agreed to buy Twitter last month -- presumably to encourage Twitter to accept what he'd couched as his "best and final offer" after its board initially sought to evade the takeover. So whinging about the percentage of bots he's buying now is either stupidity or calculated stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 11:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 12:32 PM

These guys rarely use their own money to buy anything 9(partly because they don't have that much "real money") and it sounds like he couldn't raise what was needed. At this point, he just seems like a grandstanding attention whore than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 12:36 PM

Elon Musk apparently got his degree in Finance from the Donald Trump University of Underachievers.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 12:39 PM

Soooo... what scenario, what ownership structure would Twitter help to stay a viable, profitable business? I am dreading a scenario where one investor (individual or corporation) is calling the shots.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 12:42 PM

Hopefully he can use the information to get the price knocked down. His offer was in part based on the number of real users on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 12:43 PM

Some of his fanboys are starting to realize they're the bagholders when they trade in response to his narcissistic whims, childish trolling and blatant stock manipulations. And the "libs" he's constantly trolling will take Teslas off their shopping lists. Courting MAGAts for cheap 'likes' works better for politicians than businessmen, so I wish him luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 12:51 PM

Do you think he knows he’s ugly?

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 1:01 PM

R13, Twitter isn’t obligated to settle for a lower price. They’ve said that they are willing to go forward—but under the deal’s original terms. I’m sensing lawsuit potential.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 4:34 PM

Musk frustrates the hell out of me. I think he's a real tech visionary (Tesla and SpaceX are modern US manufacturing miracles), but he's also a douche when he strays out of his engineering lane.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2022 4:43 PM

Most engineers are major douches, R17, regardless of the lane they're in.

Everything is cut and dry, everything is black and white, and if it isn't, there's hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2022 5:59 PM

Yeah, his backing out definitely has to do with the fake account problem and absolutely nothing to with his Tesla stock, which he was using as collateral for the loan, being down 25% in the last month. Totally. For sure.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2022 6:50 PM

Tesla and SpaceX visionary? Electric cars have been around for more than 100 years, and reusable spsce vehicles for 50.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2022 6:56 PM

Come on, R20. I don’t like Elon but you’ve got to give him some credit on that one.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2022 7:25 PM

R20, if you appeared permeable to facts, I'd argue with you. I'll just leave you with the idea that visionary doesn't always mean first.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2022 7:26 PM

Call him a visionary, R22. But with all the subsidies this clown has received to develop Tesla, both from the state of California and the United States Treasury, I'll call him a god damned welfare queen.

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2022 7:29 PM

Now that we've clarified visionary, let's look up specious.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2022 7:35 PM

His vision was to get loans and handouts?

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2022 7:35 PM

Next, let's look up Big Three + bailout, R23/R25 and compare numbers.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2022 7:40 PM

Yea, let's look at numbers, R26.

The Big Three all produce vehicles as low as 25K. How much does the cheapest Tesla sticker for?

Let's look at some more numbers. Ford never filed for bankruptcy so your Big Three becomes Big Two. Now let's take the amount of money GM and Chrysler received and spread that among the number of vehicles they produce in any given year. Let's take the amount of state and federal subsidies Tesla receives in any given year and spread that out over the number of vehicles Tesla produces in a year.

You can troll for him all you want, R26, but Musk isn't going to let you suck his dick.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2022 7:52 PM

Musk decided to buy Twitter while in the midst of a manic episode.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2022 7:59 PM

The government abandoning space launches more or less functions as another handout. But at least he had to be low bidder among the dozens of space companies, oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2022 8:02 PM

I want to believe that half his money was in crypto, and now he's too embarrassed to admit it. I don't believe it, but I want to.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2022 8:05 PM

Good. Trump is still banned.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2022 8:19 PM

[quote]And the "libs" he's constantly trolling will take Teslas off their shopping lists.

Thank you! Done and done. In fact, I ran into a guy I knew from college (we had to be careful running between classes to avoid being stomped by dinosaurs) who was thinking about a new Tesla, and I convinced him to look at Mercedes or wait for the products coming from Hyundai and Toyota (although I'm not happy with Toyota once again reversing course on political donations to insurrectionists). The comment that sealed the deal was how he felt about buying a product subsidized by California but being held hostage by Texas politics (where the electric grid is so feeble that you can't count on a charge today, tomorrow or evah... if you get my allusion).

R26/R27: didn't GM pay back the 2008 bailout with interest... meaning that the US government (or as I like to call it, we the people) made money on the deal? I get it, though; we can bail out the auto companies, the banks, big business... but bailing out homeowners under water or a bunch of college kids is just a step too far.

I hope Musk walks from the deal and has to pay Twitter the $billion back out fee. Someone like Musk at the helm of Twitter is unthinkable.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2022 8:25 PM

Er, SpaceX was low bidder. And is the only one actually currently flying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2022 8:25 PM

The agreement states that he will lose a 1 billion dollars if the deal doesn't go through. He will also end up in court because whatever he signed leaves him open to a lawsuit. He knows he is fucked in both holes.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2022 8:37 PM

Pic please R34. Of the 🕳️

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2022 8:58 PM

Please close the mouth hole, Elon.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2022 8:59 PM

This MOTHERFUCKER! I’m sick of him, he’s morphing into dump #2. He can take his crappy cars (which btw we poors subsidized) and shove them up his clenched anus. I hope he dies penniless and alone.

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2022 9:07 PM

Maybe it was a Twitter bot who made an offer to buy it?

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2022 9:09 PM

He’s indicated that it’s more than a business deal. He sees it as an opportunity to do good by implementing the reforms that Twitter needs, and grow the platform to serve as a global communication platform. He’ll probably do all he can to complete the sale, but he should definitely try to renegotiate if it’s found that Twitter has been lying to the SEC about the percentage of fake accounts.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2022 9:46 PM

He should! And he should watch out for Judas and stuff too.

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2022 10:00 PM

R39, Twitter didn’t “lie” to the SEC anymore than Trump “lied” in his disclosures to lenders. Its statements about bots were characterized as an “estimate” that involved “significant judgment”. It said that the real number could be higher. Basically, it was right out there that they were just kidding and that only an idiot should rely on anything that they were saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2022 10:08 PM

If they did lie, the Twitter management should be held accountable.

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2022 10:18 PM

[quote]Twitter didn’t “lie” to the SEC anymore than Trump “lied” in his disclosures to lenders.

Not the same thing by a long shot. Trump lied, period. Twitter estimated that 5% of all accounts are bots and spammers, which anyone with 2 nickles to rub together knows is extremely, fantastically and unbelievably low.

[quote]the reforms that Twitter needs, and grow the platform to serve as a global communication platform.

What reforms does Twitter need? I think you're alluding to their lifetime ban on the inciter-of-insurrections-in-chief, and/or their moderation policies, which should they reverse would indicate that they do indeed need reforms. Trump should not be on any social network (and his brilliancy isn't even on his own social network; he's just so fuckin' smart!).

Your next point stumps me and is ultimately I believe the reason Musk is backing out of the deal: the platform already is a global communication one. (Recall that during the so-called Arab spring, our government worked with Twitter to keep it up and functional because it was the only way protesters were able to communicate with the West.) That's Musk's issue, and his plan to somehow quadruple Twitter's revenue left him only one way, which is to charge users for an account, and that is a tall order for a company that commoditized users from the beginning. What would you be willing to pay for an account on Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2022 10:45 PM

I hate this fucker.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2022 10:55 PM

It's just due diligence that is normal/expected in any business sale. Both buyer and seller can back out if info disclosed is proven to be false. Same as when you buy a house and disclose that you have a great job making a certain amount of money. You can get mortgage pre-approval and your contract can be accepted by the seller, but if the mortgage lender's verification process reveals you just got fired.....oops! No sale.

And R5, it is normal in the sale of any retail business to true up gift card/gift certificate liabilities. There could be thousands of dollars in gift cards out on the street that will be redeemed AFTER the sale. The buyer isn't responsible for eating it because the seller has already received that money. The seller has to reimburse any/all gift card liability out of sale proceeds.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2022 11:07 PM

Twitter's board is going to force Elon to go through with the merger.

Baller move. Love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2022 2:04 AM

The Board is nuts. Hopefully they know it’s all a bluff and just want to collect that $1 billion fee.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2022 12:16 PM

The board is basically trolling him back by calling his bluff.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2022 12:20 PM

R47, apparently the Board has read the contract, and know that they can, in fact, force Musk to buy the company at the agreed-upon price. That has happened before. If he wants to walk away he may have to pay more than $1 billion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2022 3:15 PM

We can trust that Musk has a plan and knows what he’s doing.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2022 3:35 PM

R50 I don't. Putin is rumored to be autistic as well and while they're good at tactics they're terrible at strategy because they tend to see the trees but not the forest.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2022 3:36 PM

I can’t believe they still let him run companies. How much better would Tesla be doing by now if they had a real CEO while Elon just stuck to engineering where he belongs?

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2022 3:46 PM

R51, neither one of them feels that he has to answer to anyone. As a result, both of them can make bad decisions very quickly, and find it hard to back down because their ego is involved.

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2022 3:56 PM

I still can't believe that he's embroiled himself into this - likely at minimum paying $1bn to get out of the contract or paying way more for a total lemon of an investment - just because he thinks that *Trump* should have his twitter account back.

Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2022 3:59 PM

Also, Elon stuck his dick into crazy (Amber Heard). It's rumored that her kid is his and that he sued her because she used frozen embryos without his agreement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote] I still can't believe that he's embroiled himself into this - likely at minimum paying $1bn to get out of the contract or paying way more for a total lemon of an investment - just because he thinks that *Trump* should have his twitter account back.

I don't think it was about Trump. It was about the account that posted his current location. First Musk wanted to pay off the guy who runs the account, and when that failed he wanted to buy the social media platform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2022 4:24 PM

Just look at his choice of baby mamas: Amber Heard and Grimes.

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2022 4:25 PM

He was always a shallow weirdo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2022 4:29 PM

This whole deal makes me think of Thiel bankrupting Gawker.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2022 4:38 PM

My theory is that the whole Trump angle, shitting on Biden, vowing to vote GOP is all a ploy to work up the violent masses to retaliate if things don't go his way.

And they are too stupid to realize they are being played.

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2022 5:20 PM

Nobody’s going to war with the feds for dorky Elon Musk.

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2022 6:14 PM

Oh, but I thought that he had already started persecuting left-wing Tweeters while at the same time running off the Trumptards.

It was all imaginary? Huh.

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2022 8:05 PM

[quote]How much better would Tesla be doing by now if they had a real CEO while Elon just stuck to engineering where he belongs?

The same could be said for the child that runs facebook.

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2022 8:15 PM

You’re right, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2022 1:04 PM

The thing is, for us normal people, it's more important than ever to look where our money is going. Do we really want "our" money to go to companies and people Elon Musk who are using that money to fuck us over to stroke their own ego or use it for their conservative and earth and civilization destroying agenda?

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2022 1:13 PM

Sorry, do we really want "our" money to go to companies and people LIKE Elon Musk ...

by Anonymousreply 66May 19, 2022 1:15 PM

Elon Musk isn’t an engineer, he’s a “visionary” (that can be good or bad btw). I’ve worked with engineering companies all my life and engineers are pretty much the opposite of him. They’re careful, analytical, and very much centered. They’re mostly liberals too, btw.

by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2022 3:29 PM

In my experience engineers are rarely liberal.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2022 3:43 PM

R68, in my experience, they’re liberal. Maybe not like the Squad, but they’re driven by logic and analysis, which means they are anti-Dumpers, since Dump is all emotion. They certainly can be fiscal conservatives, but in my experience, they are really turned off by the Dumpization of the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2022 4:20 PM

I know a couple who watch Fox News 24/7. One even goes to Trump rallies.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2022 7:01 PM

R70, no doubt there are exceptions...

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2022 7:11 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 20, 2022 3:49 AM

^ Love it. Hold him to his contractual promises.

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2022 3:55 AM

[quote]Elon Musk isn’t an engineer, he’s a “visionary” (that can be good or bad btw). I’ve worked with engineering companies all my life and engineers are pretty much the opposite of him. They’re careful, analytical, and very much centered. They’re mostly liberals too, btw.

This is the guy who designs all of Tesla's cars and he's liberal. Franz and his wife pal are good friends with Ariana Grande and her husband, who is also his realtor for his $100 million real estate portfolio. I imagine that most of Tesla's executives are not happy with how messy Elon has become and they don't agree with his recent politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2022 4:06 AM

Why does the media keep covering what this idiot "says" he's going to do? If he buys Twitter, that's a story. The rest is just marketing.

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2022 6:27 AM

Because people click the links, R75.

by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2022 9:54 AM

it is DEAD! LATEST NEWS!

DEAL IS DEAD! VIA CNBC!

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2022 9:26 PM

Not so fast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2022 3:14 PM

^ Lolz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2022 3:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!