Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greek Cuisine

I love it but it's hard to find authentic Greek food in most of the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 5:31 AM

Greek food is great.... except for that disgusting feta cheese that OP decided to showcase front and center.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 2:42 AM

Hi, Greece troll.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 2:52 AM

I like greek food - it is expensive for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 3:06 AM

What's disgusting about feta?

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 5:56 AM

Anyone have a good recipe for moussaka?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 6:58 AM

Moussaka is a dish that varies enormously in quality. I'm not sure I've ever had especially good moussaka in the U.S. The success stems from excellent ingredients and from attention to preparing the components separately and combining in the right order (otherwise you get a sort of lesbian potluck ratatouille that tastes like mush.)

Rick Stein's 'From Venice to Istanbul' has a good recipe.

But yes, the simplicity and attention to seasonal ingredients makes Greek food really great (or mediocre.)

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 7:28 AM

My favorite. Love it all — the lamb, seafood, casseroles, dips, and breads. The ultimate comfort food.

I'm too intimidated to cook most of it myself. But nothing is better in summer than to make a big horiatiki salad from fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, feta, onions, oil, balsamic and pepper.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 7:48 AM

I don't know authentic from inauthentic but Greek garlic chicken will make you wanna slap your mama.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 7:49 AM

It's very good but whats good about it is Mediterranean-middleast. The Levant countries are the best in the region

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 7:55 AM

ITA, the one GOOD Greek food place closed upon original owners retiring. The Greek Food Fest is fantastic too, but comes once a year. LOVE Greek cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 8:23 AM

R9 - Yes! Lebanese food is the best!

These regions all have similar ingredients with a different spin on them and some different seasonings, but the best of it is the use of simple, fresh, high-quality ingredients that have so much flavour. (I’m just hoping the winter weather in my rainshadow region of the Pacific Northwest lifts in time to plant and harvest tomatoes and cucumbers, etc. … this is supposed to be a Mediterranean climate, after all - yet while much of the continent has been sweltering, we’ve been wet and freezing! 😖)

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 8:39 AM

Chicken Souvlakis are great for BBQs, with Tzatziki and either bread or French Fries. Likely one of the easier Mediterranean dishes.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 10:04 AM

There are a number of things I like re Greek cuisine:

Two of the dips (hummus and the incomparable taramosalata), spanikopita, stuffed grape leaves (dolmadakia), keftedakia (meatballs), the shrimp casserole dish garides santorini, imam (an eggplant casserole), patates fournou (lemon potatoes), and last but not least avgolemono soup.

Dessert wise there's the obvious baklava, but I'd prefer the orange cake portokalopita.

I'm luck there's a pretty good Greek restaurant about 15 minutes from me, and I like taking out from there a couple of times a year.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 5:46 PM

Saganaki cheese!!! OPA!!! Greektown in Detroit is a great place to get your Greek food fix.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 6:24 PM

Try anything lamb.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 8:13 PM

I love Greek food. I've tried to make moussaka (with the white sauce & everything) and it didn't turn out very good. I've had a delicious moussaka (don't know how authentic it was) with no white sauce and quite a bit of eggplant.

I've made baklava before, came out very nice. It wasn't difficult, but it was labor intensive.

Feta cheese, I love, but I can understand why some wouldn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 8:19 PM

Greek food is the bomb. I also love a good Greek-American diner. Dear God how I love a Greek omelet at a Greek-American diner.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2022 8:24 PM

Feta= worse than death.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2022 8:25 PM

Fuck lamb and goat. Other than that, delicious

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote] Dear God how I love a Greek omelet at a Greek-American diner.

Seems like it would be easy to make.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2022 8:32 PM

LOL at the little boys with baby tastes who can't even take some feta. REALLY? Wow, you are juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 3:03 AM

Hard to find Greek food in the U.S.?

Are you kidding? They own every diner in the country.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 5:03 AM

Halloumi. Feta's tastier cousin. Buy the goat/sheep milk kind, not the cheap, tasteless cow milk kind. Slice it, fry it in a bit of olive oil, toss it on salad or with pasta or rice.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 5:13 AM

R23, what's the texture of halloumi cheese? Is it like feta? When I see it being fried, the texture looks more stretchy, like mozzarella. So, wondering how you'd "toss" it on a salad.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 5:19 AM

Well you'd think if Greek diners were "all over the country" we'd actually have some up here in NorCal (an hour North of SF). But we don't.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 5:22 AM

R24 Halloumi is more dense than feta. That's why it can be easily sliced and fried. It is packed in salt water, so must be drained well by wrapping it in several layers of paper towel before being fried. After frying, drain it on a paper towel. It can then be further cut into bite-size pieces and used in salad/pasta/rice similar to croutons. But trust me, you won't have any left for the salad. It's that good.

Check online for recipes for fried halloumi and using it in a variety of dishes.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 5:29 AM

Thank you, R26. I think I'll try halloumi. I'll have to look around a bit for it, though.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 5:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!