Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher…

Anyone else noticed his rightward drift? I know there are not many fans here to begin with, but he seems to becoming an apologist for the extreme Right Wing.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2022 9:56 PM

What are his "extreme right" positions that you take issue with?

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2022 10:43 PM

I noticed his asshole drift, so yeah, the same thing

There's more money in being a right wing douche bag and Maher wants in

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2022 10:44 PM

I noticed it when he started sounding like a COVID conspiracy nut.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2022 10:57 PM

He realized he’s old and doesn’t have much longer to earn points with Ha Shem. He doesn’t want to be Jerry Seinfeld’s shoeshine boy in The World To Come.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2022 11:04 PM

Actually, I've always found him to be odious.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2022 11:08 PM

We can't talk about a Jewish celebrity without witty people like r4 reminding everyone that the person is Jewish. R4, calling someone Jewish is not the ultimate burn you seem to think it is. Take a long look at yourself.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2022 11:14 PM

[quote] Take a long look at yourself

I’m Jewish, numb nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2022 11:15 PM

Anyone who criticizes Maher as being right wing or anything nearly conspiricist anything obviously has absolutely no knowledge of Maher's politics or of reality on general. Now go ahead and continue gnawing on this "convervative" bone that all you who can't handle anything other than leftist social media bullet points love so much.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2022 11:16 PM

There is no rightward drift, OP. He's the same as always.

He only seems to have moved right because the Democrats have moved so far to the left.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2022 11:16 PM

Nope r7. I don't believe you are Jewish for a single second. Nice try, you filthy liar.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2022 11:17 PM

Bill Maher has never been left wing. He is a hard core libertarian, which often agrees with the left on things like "my body, my choice", drug use, etc., but the two are not the same.

He also has no patience for the "cancel culture" or the extremes (depending on how you think about it), the left has gone to give lip service to some groups.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2022 11:21 PM

What a surprise that one of his staunch defenders here is also on the Buffalo shooting thread pushing white supremacist talking points. That tells you something about Maher.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2022 11:30 PM

i just notice how there is a thread every week after his show. (which i have never watched.)

he must pay his social media peons well.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2022 11:32 PM

Also, I'm waiting for him to move to one of those Red states where "wokeism" and "cancel culture" won't be an issue for him. I know, you know, and everybody else knows that will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2022 11:32 PM

He's Dennis Miller without the kids.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2022 11:34 PM

"His rightward drift" may not be the issue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2022 11:35 PM

"Rightward drift"? FFS, it's the LUNATIC left that's gone crazy and moved the goalposts to the lunatic fringe, you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2022 11:36 PM

Have you glanced at the Republican Trump Cult lately r17? They're hard to miss. And they've been moving the goalposts for decades.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2022 11:39 PM

Well, someone's lunatic here... And I don't think he's on the left either.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2022 11:41 PM

I have always liked Bill, but lately I'm getting annoyed and losing interest.

He says he hasn't changed. He says we've changed.

Maybe it's a little of both, Bill.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2022 11:41 PM

I think things will be very different after the Democrats get trounced later this year.

Some left-leaning companies are already transitioning away from wokeness:

Netflix Tells Woke Workers: QUIT OR SHUT UP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2022 11:43 PM

Whether the "left" has gone too far to the crazy is irrelevant to some who are annoyed by Maher lately. Some folks are upset with him because he chooses to continue to harp on things that make all liberals look loony even though he SHOULD know that certainly isn't true in general. There's a whole network for that so it seems he should be finding plenty to harp about with the right and the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2022 12:04 AM

That may be, r21, and the ultra woke are justifiably an easy target. On the other hand, there is nothing keeping the Republicans from moving ever further toward the truly crazy right. I suspect they'll be wearing nazi armbands at the 2024 convention. Or maybe in a concession to the "moderates" maybe enough of a design change so it's not completely indisputable. Can you combine Q and the swastika?

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2022 12:05 AM

That douche has been drifting right for the last 10 years or so. He's been courting them a lot as the "liberal" show that invites conservatives to hear what they say. He loves to repeat right wing talking points about the left calling them "limousine liberals" or "Hollywood elite" or "wok" but he never returns the rhetoric the left has towards the right. He's attempting to portray himself as unbiased by pointing out the issues the left has but like a lot of people of his ilk, they over compensate for fear of what the right might say about him. You know, his current fan base. In other words, he's pussy whipped.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2022 12:07 AM

They can also use Putin's Z (he's the true leader of that party anyway), or that three arm swastika that was popular among the white supremacists 20-30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2022 12:07 AM

[quote]Some folks are upset with him because he chooses to continue to harp on things that make all liberals look loony even though he SHOULD know that certainly isn't true in general.

This.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2022 12:08 AM

He dated Ann Coulter, for godsake!

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2022 1:29 AM

Time to take the car keys.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2022 2:07 AM

You know....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2022 2:15 AM

He’s always been a closet libertarian. Being “liberal” for the past couple of decades was his grift after his ABC show got cancelled . Now that younger progressives have caught onto his grift, he’s losing his audience quickly and has had to pivot to be more open about being conservative by nonstop complaining about masks, vaccines, and cancel culture. When HBO cancels his show due to low ratings, his transformation will be complete.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2022 2:16 AM

Bill figured out that there are for more opportunities for a right-wing comedian than a left-wing one. An anti-Semite would say that it’s natural for a member of the tribe to gravitate towards a stance which offered more money. I happen not believe that, I think he’s just an asshole and enjoys being a contrarian and because there are fewer of those types it happens to make him more money.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2022 2:25 AM

Had he not pivoted right wing, he would've been just one of many comedians or talk show hosts who are liberal or leaning liberal and, frankly, people like Trevor Noah or John Oliver would eat his lunch any day (and a few others, but the field is pretty crowded on that side.) This way, he's one of the handful of clowns who have the full attention of right wingers and who validate their worldview in what they view as the entertainment landscape hostile to them . And that's lucrative - just ask that fat fuck Greg Gutfeld. He's basically Joe Rogan for the 50+ year old crowd who haven't fully immersed themselves into podcasts, YouTube, and aren't getting all their entertainment and talking points online.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2022 2:52 AM

He likes Maureen Dowd. That alone is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2022 3:05 AM

I’m getting tired of his audience “whooping” all the time and laughing at the wrong stuff. The last show I watched it was especially egregious—one guy in particular—even Bill looked uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2022 3:10 AM

The right wing nuts are really hard at work in this thread. Bill Maher is a right wing piece of shit. He’ll be canceled soon and it won’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2022 3:11 AM

I think he is a traditional Democrat who is watching the left and right go to extremes. He has the only show I can think of that balances seriousness with humor. Hopefully most Americans will turn purple so we don’t have a civil war or simply shoot each other in the street like Westworld (aka Ukraine).

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2022 3:13 AM

All this bullshit about wokeness. Whatever. It's a lazy complaint. However, it is not anywhere nearly as destructive and annoying as the Repigs lying, destructiveness and destroying our democracy.

Why doesn't anyone complain about the Repugs? They are killing the country.

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2022 3:14 AM

The left is nuts nowadays. I still like bill and I don't live in a bubble like so many on this site. The progressives are pushing a civil war and all this divisiveness just as much as the right is. Both sides are awful.

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2022 3:25 AM

People need to not fall into the trap of partisanship bickering dictating reality. It’s an artificial construct that makes money for media and politicians, and encourages violence, but no one actually fixes anything! It’s all sensational arguing while the planet is going to shit. Biden, Trump, Pelosi, McConnell … enough. I would never hire any of these old dolts.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2022 3:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2022 3:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2022 3:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2022 3:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2022 3:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2022 3:38 AM

Trolls are hyperactive.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2022 4:06 AM

R11 Bill called himself a libertarian in the 90s but he has come out for some big left wing causes

since then like socialized medicine & supported Bernie Sanders at various stages of his public life.

He isn't moving "back to being a libertarian", he is going from the Bernie far left to full blown right wing lunatic on so many issues.

I guess Ann Cunty & the other GQP wackos are finally getting inside his head.

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2022 4:27 AM

I agree R24.

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2022 4:38 AM

I get the feeling Bill has a vindictive streak a mile long. I bet he's tried getting some interviews from certain Democrats and they turned him down so now he's had some grand epiphany about them.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2022 4:46 AM

Thanks for that R44... loved watching that clip. My husband and I saw Carlin in shortly before his death in 2008. I loved hearing him say things in that clip her was still saying some 4 years later.

But the best thing I heard in that clip was from Kim Campbell: "If you never encounter anything in your community that offends you, you're not living in a free society." I quote that, hoping that all those so outraged at what Bill Maher says that you have to explain it away as him becoming "more right wing," perhaps just enjoy the fact that you live in a society where he gets to say something with which you disagree, and you can still be offended by it. What he says does not need an excuse nor validation from you.

It is definitely the mantra I'm going to start using when I run across rabidly progressive, dare-I-say "woke" opinions that I find idiotic, without logic, and downright politically unhelpful.

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2022 4:49 AM

[quote]Anyone else noticed his rightward drift?

He NEVER got over being fired by ABC. These old rich white pieces of shit are egotistical snowflakes and can't take anyone criticizing them.

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2022 4:49 AM

Not every liberal is a woke douchebag. I’m a democrat and I fucking hate all the tranny/nonbinary pronoun shit. I’m also the same as I’ve always been but the left has gone far left.

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2022 4:49 AM

Hear, hear R51! I love the fact that we liberals can be more nuanced and discerning in our politics.

I was working with a black woman a few months ago. An exiting customer looked her up and made a comment that showed a certain presumption of her COVID beliefs. She gave me an exasperated look, to which I replied, "He thinks you voted for Kamala too!" and she rolled her eyes SO hard I started to laugh out loud.

We talked later and she said she is a liberal, but hates being presumed one JUST because she's black. I came out to her as a homo and said I could complete relate.

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2022 4:59 AM

Bill may be getting more conservative in the face of increasing lunacy on the far left, but, as the lunacy on the right is a feature not a bug now of the right, I see no evidence that he’s going to take the next step of supporting republican candidates.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2022 5:20 AM

That's because he's only getting RELATIVELY "more conservative in the face of increasing lunacy on the far left." Please refer to R16's exhibit

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2022 5:29 AM

Get used to it. The more progressive the left gets, the more Libs you will see start to jump ship and vote Independent.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2022 5:31 AM

And that's fine, R55. At least "us Libs" aren't going to stick to crazier, nuttier, whackjobs like you Q-tards.

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2022 5:34 AM

R56 I’m not a “Qtard”. That is the problem with the left these days. You see everything in black and white. You have zero concept of critical thought. Moderates are finding it hard to support the party anymore. That does not mean mods are supporting Qloons and MAGA. You are simple and should steer clear of politics.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2022 5:38 AM

[quote]I think he is a traditional Democrat who is watching the left and right go to extremes.

He's not a Democrat, he has said so many times on his show. Nice try with "they are both the same" bull shit talking point.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2022 5:40 AM

[quote]The left is nuts nowadays. I still like bill and I don't live in a bubble like so many on this site. The progressives are pushing a civil war and all this divisiveness just as much as the right is. Both sides are awful.

Listen bubble queen, last time I check the LEFT DID NOT INVADE THE CAPITAL. The two sides are NOT the same, give it up already. Only the right talks about civil war by the way. It's one of Faux News favorite things to mention.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2022 5:43 AM

[quote] I’m not a “Qtard”. That is the problem with the left these days.

He's just trolling you

by Anonymousreply 60May 17, 2022 5:46 AM

R12, would that person be R9? Because I already have that person on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 61May 17, 2022 5:47 AM

[quote] That is the problem with the left these days. You see everything in black and white.

You didn't definitively declare a partisanship in your first post, but it's clear you did here. You're further away from being a Moderate than I am and I strongly doubt you've ever supported "the party" that I do. I confessed earlier to enjoying more of the grey area and nuance as a liberal, but not a woke progressive. You've pretty much confessed thru your post to being one of those mods that hold your nose and vote for abhorrent, unforgivable pieces of human shit with cruel, selfish and violent policies.

Perhaps it is you who should steer clear of politics.

by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2022 5:47 AM

[quote] He’s always been a closet libertarian.

He’s open about being a libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2022 5:52 AM

[quote] Listen bubble queen, last time I check the LEFT DID NOT INVADE THE CAPITAL.

They just burn down cities.

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2022 5:53 AM

[quote]The left is nuts

The constant inability of your ilk to actually point to legislation that backs up your claim when I can point to right-wing legislation that makes you look stupid, renders your claim bullshit.

What you call "nuts" is usually about very stupid, innocuous things that you magnify from the left. Tweets or casting some black person in a movie or some trans nonsense that in no way, shape or form actually affects your life. Meanwhile, per usual, ignoring the hateful, ignorant, archaic legislation coming from the Republicans. Maher does the same. Spends more time on masks than any time on the despicable censorship laws, book bans and snitch-lines to get teachers fired for teaching history.

And Maher was always an ignorant, neocunt shithead.

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2022 5:54 AM

[quote]They just burn down cities.

List all of the cities burned down, Princess Hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2022 5:54 AM

[quote] Not every liberal is a woke douchebag.

Unfortunately the Democratic Party is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2022 5:56 AM

R66 is a retard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2022 5:57 AM

[quote]You see everything in black and white.

And you see everything as the jaywalker being worse than the rapist. It's why when white, conservative assholes say the and do the most vile things, you're too busy getting apoplectic over the Hispanic actor being cast as like Shakespeare 'cause "Woke"

R68, Again: List the cities "burned down." And don't go using a pejorative like "retard" when your link is the National Review.

Do I have to define "hyperbole" for you, you fucking, inbred sack of shit? When you say "burned down a city," you sound like a fucking imbecile, because you have to exaggerate to justify your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2022 6:01 AM

say and do*

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2022 6:01 AM

R67, are you really that stupid? No one is being forced not to use mother, you fucking moron. You have to exaggerate this nonsense to justify being the type of shit fingering yourself to a terrorist's manifesto, you terrorist sympathizing cunt.

by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2022 6:03 AM

R64, what "city" was actually burned down by the left? No city was actually burned down, stop being a drama queen. Are you talking about a hand full of protests? That' not exactly the same as trying to stop the vote and take down the American democracy. The Boston tea part was a protest too in case don't remember, including destruction of property. Last time I checked there was not an organized group of top level Democratic Senators and Congressmen meeting with extremist to make it happen. Unlike the dozens of Repugs meeting with the Proud Boys, and other extremist in war room in a fancy hotel hours before their attack on the Capital and the biggest attempt to overthrow the US government in history.

A protest is not the same as an insurrection. Please make a note of it.

by Anonymousreply 72May 17, 2022 6:11 AM

I just want to vote for “Princess Hyperbole.” LoI, I just became a loyal subject. Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 73May 17, 2022 6:25 AM

He’s been that way ever since people were giving trump backlash. He voted for trump I don’t care what anyone says

by Anonymousreply 74May 17, 2022 6:28 AM

It mirrors the rightward drift of Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 75May 17, 2022 6:33 AM

Michelle Obama's new statement.

'State lawmakers will have the power to strip 𝒘𝒐𝒎𝒙𝒏 of the right to make decisions about their bodies and their healthcare,'

by Anonymousreply 76May 17, 2022 6:37 AM

[quote]he’s losing his audience quickly and has had to pivot to be more open about being conservative by nonstop complaining about masks, vaccines, and cancel culture.

We know your staff mine these threads, Bill, so I'm leaving this for one of your content stealing minions to relay to you: stfu about masks somehow traumatizing students and actually come work on a LAUSD campus for a few weeks, where a third of the students and staff are usually out with COVID now since the mask requirement was lifted. It's the staff who couldn't wait to take them off, but a majority of the students still voluntarily wear them. Even our special ed students are fine with masking up, so nobody is having a breakdown about it except you, old man.

by Anonymousreply 77May 17, 2022 6:42 AM

[quote]Nice try with "they are both the same" bull shit talking point.

The "both sides" troll has been tediously dicking threads for several days.

by Anonymousreply 78May 17, 2022 6:48 AM

Bill Maher is a leftwing liberal. After the Trump years, there is no longer conservative thought. Just idiots repeating shit. So instead of debating with conservatives, Maher is choosing SOME issues to discuss where he disagrees with (some) people on the left. It does not make him a right winger. It makes his show more debate oriented like it used to be when there were actual intelligent conservatives who could mix it up.

by Anonymousreply 79May 17, 2022 7:45 AM

He became right wing in the 1990s when he moved from comedy Central. Get with the program op!

by Anonymousreply 80May 17, 2022 7:58 AM

Everyone hates him but he trends every week. He's good at his job.

by Anonymousreply 81May 17, 2022 9:11 AM

He makes fun of the pronoun people, god bless him. He makes fun of the part of the alphabet soup that needs to be ridiculed.

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2022 9:15 AM

How soon after he donated $1 million to the Obama campaign and another $1 million to the Democratic Senate Majority PAC did Bill become the right-winger so many of you contend he is?

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2022 10:50 AM

Republican politicians have been encouraging coups to try to overthrow elections, they've convinced thousand of their voters that a vaccine is some kind of far-left conspiracy and these voters have died because of it, and many sit on social media all day and spread far-right conspiracy theories, but for some reason we're supposed to be terrified of "Democrats moving too far to the left."

by Anonymousreply 84May 17, 2022 10:57 AM

Those $1M donations were money well spent for Maher so he could keep up his "both sides" routine.

It's amazing how people online don't seem to know the first thing about branding and how it works.

by Anonymousreply 85May 17, 2022 10:58 AM

Conservatives paint him as an ultra-leftist, progressives characterize him as a right-winger. I suspect he doesn't mind the confusion.

by Anonymousreply 86May 17, 2022 11:08 AM

Name me one libertarian who votes for democrats.

by Anonymousreply 87May 17, 2022 11:17 AM

I feel like I am watching Fox "News" when he shows that clip of the looters at Walgreens while the security guard stands there filming. This is just one example of the kind of stuff that bothers some liberal fans of his.

by Anonymousreply 88May 17, 2022 1:23 PM

I've always been a registered Independent & have only votes Republican once. The lunacy that occurs on the right has never concerned me as much as the lunacy that occurs on the left, especially lately. Sure, right extremists invaded the Capitol, but nothing these people stand for has changed public policy or law. They've largely been investigated, charged & many have been found guilty of their crimes.

Since the Dems are the politicians I typically support & cast my votes for I'm much more concerned with what's happening with their messages & strategies over the last few years. They're responsible for all the rhetoric concerning minors being able to chemically & medically mutilate their bodies into a form of the opposite sex, they've convinced young minorities that boogie men such as white supremacy lurk around every corner, they've supported flimsy social platforms (CRT, gender ideology, white privilege...) into the mainstream & among other things have every bit as much have created their own self-serving dialog around every one of these issues as much as the right has. I find this very concerning, as it's obvious outcome will be the creation of increasing number of extremists--on both left & right.

Maher & other like him represent a growing number of voters who are also very realistically concerned. Anyone who just wants to call TROLL in response really needs to expand their scope of where they get the information.

by Anonymousreply 89May 17, 2022 1:40 PM

[quote]Sure, right extremists invaded the Capitol, but nothing these people stand for has changed public policy or law.

What the fuck. You cannot seriously be claiming that no far-right Trump-based GOP legislation or laws have been passed, can you?

by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2022 2:09 PM

[quote]young minorities that boogie men such as white supremacy lurk around every corner, they've supported flimsy social platforms (CRT, gender ideology, white privilege...)

We call you a troll because we can't believe this level of denial actually exists. You're absolutely not living in the real world if you think white supremacy isn't literally the reason voter suppression laws exist right now.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2022 2:27 PM

Not seeing him turning into a necon any time soon . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 17, 2022 2:32 PM

Only thing "progressive" about Maher is his obsession with legalization of marijuana because he's an old pot head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 17, 2022 2:41 PM

[quote] I feel like I am watching Fox "News" when he shows that clip of the looters at Walgreens while the security guard stands there filming. This is just one example of the kind of stuff that bothers some liberal fans of his.

And is San Francisco as bad as he says it is?

by Anonymousreply 94May 17, 2022 2:57 PM

R65's post is perfect. Well said.

by Anonymousreply 95May 17, 2022 3:00 PM

R89 has been "both sides" trolling here for several days and is not interested in actual reasonable debate. Pay it no mind.

by Anonymousreply 96May 17, 2022 3:15 PM

He is on the trip many libertarians travel as they age. Next stop, right wing mixed with personal freedom credo.

by Anonymousreply 97May 17, 2022 3:24 PM

Yes. I trace it back to his getting tangled up in red tape trying to do something on his property which requires a variance.

by Anonymousreply 98May 17, 2022 3:29 PM

He’s only concerned about wokeness because his jokes get booed on college campuses.

His politics are all about him.

by Anonymousreply 99May 17, 2022 3:37 PM

I thought the same thing, R98. It was those dumb solar panels. He would not shut up about it. He’s starting to sound like Archie Bunker e.g. Lots more gay jokes, far fewer Black panelists, ongoing hate for Muslims etc. He has slowly become the quintessential cranky old man who screams at the neighborhood kids for “walking on his lawn.”

by Anonymousreply 100May 17, 2022 4:15 PM

R88 That type of footage bothers MOST Americans.

There's a popular meme that shows that after Walgreens was looted for $900 worth of stuff, there were over 300 articles about it. When Walgreens was found to have stolen $4.5 million from their employees in wage theft, there was one article.

I like that fact because its instructive how America thinks. Americans are more disturbed by the looting. Fair? No. But the remaking of the criminal justice system will not move forward if petty crime massively escalates. This is the same psychology that allows poor people to vote for candidates who promise to cut taxes on the wealthy. Gross? Sure. But you can't ignore decades of electoral proof on this. Maher bringing it up seems to some like he's helping the other side make its point, but the other side is winning so in reality, he's just forcing D's to look long and hard at how they're fucking their chances up

by Anonymousreply 101May 17, 2022 6:16 PM

[quote]I like that fact because its instructive how America thinks. Americans are more disturbed by the looting.

It's more instructive in how news outlets cover stories for which they have dramatic visuals and ignore those for which they don't.

by Anonymousreply 102May 17, 2022 6:25 PM

[quote] I feel like I am watching Fox "News" when he shows that clip of the looters at Walgreens while the security guard stands there filming

Reporting the news CNN and MSNBC brush under the rug.

by Anonymousreply 103May 17, 2022 6:26 PM

I agree a lot of what Bill says. I'm sick of woke shit too. But I'm also sick of people bitching about how much they hate woke shit. Both are becoming equally insufferable.

Also, pick you damn battles. Sorry, Bill mask wearing is the least thing any of us should be concerned with right now.

Women's rights, voting issues for black and other minorities, the trans lunacy and its weird stranglehold on our party, the right wing ideological takeover via our courts, Jan 6, the economy, the scary possibility of Trump 2.0: That should be his focus.

by Anonymousreply 104May 17, 2022 6:31 PM

I don't think Maher has taken a rightward shift. I think he is one of the many people who are finding that left leaning politics is leaving them behind. Notice that I didn't say the democratic party, I said left leaning politics. Bill Maher is not voting for republicans; Bill Maher is just calling out the crazy. And it sucks that as more and more liberals "call out the crazy" they're being called Trumpists and MAGAts, which is not the case. Bill Maher has never said anything on his show that sane people would find offensive.

by Anonymousreply 105May 17, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote] Bill Maher has never said anything on his show that sane people would find offensive.

Who said this thread was aimed at sane people?

by Anonymousreply 106May 17, 2022 6:43 PM

R102 I agree that footage comes first. But it is incredibly upsetting to watch stores being looted. Same thing with the broken car windows in San Francisco. It's a gut punch for most, regardless of political party

by Anonymousreply 107May 17, 2022 6:46 PM

I don't know, R105. I hear what you're saying but my issue with Maher is that, okay, fine, call out the crazy on the left if you must, but on a scale of 1 to 10, the crazy on the left rates about a 5 while the crazy on the right currently rates a 12.5, so for me he has his priorities all mixed up.

In other words, call out the crazy on the left all you want but save it until AFTER the midterms. Right now we should all be keeping the focus on the REAL threat to this country, which is coming solely from the right, not the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2022 7:08 PM

Imagine thinking the left has gone too far while mass shooters who spout Tucker Carson's replacement theories exist

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2022 7:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2022 7:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2022 7:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2022 7:30 PM

Go fuck yourselves, Nazi unfuckables and psychopaths. You're not welcome here. Or society in general. You ever wonder why even the dregs of the internet kick you out of their forums? Because you're poison. Nobody likes you, especially yourselves. So go eat one of your beloved bullets. You contribute nothing.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2022 7:35 PM

I do get sick of his anti-woke crusade, but if he is going to pursue it endlessly on every show, at least bring on people who completely disagree with him on all of it. That was sort of the idea of the show, going back to politically incorrect. We are going to raise sensitive issues and then have real arguments about them. Not, we are going to have carefully selected panels of the likeminded to give each other blow jobs and tell ourselves how right we are about everything.

Same thing with Islam. Islamic fundamentalists do suck and the problem actually goes beyond them. But occasionally have on somebody who emphatically disagrees with you, and no, some feminist former muslim or somebody who's muslim but still agrees with you basically that it all sucks doesn't count.

This is the kind of stuff that really gets on my nerves about the show lately. Stop the mutual jerkoff and get back to actual arguing.

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2022 7:41 PM

Also too, since now I'm in a mood, stop saying "I know nobody wants to talk about abortion, but ..." I fucking well do want to talk about abortion. I want to know exactly what the pro-life people want the law to be, very, very specifically, and what the punishments will be, very, very specifically, and how all of it will be enforced. I want every goddamn politician on the record about what exactly they are proposing to get rid of abortion and how many women they plan to arrest to ensure that result. Airy little comments about being pro-life or loving Jesus are not going to fucking cut it when it comes down to actual legislation.

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2022 7:54 PM

The German people voted the Nazis into power.

by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2022 8:29 PM

I love R115! You're my kind of guy. And we should have more of these type questions posed to politicians on important issues, sort of like "what would the law be if you were king and had total authority"?

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2022 11:01 PM

Hes a concern troll (as we would it it) but no not getting more “right.”

Agree however that his staff 1000 percent lurks on here

by Anonymousreply 118May 18, 2022 12:12 AM

[quote] The German people voted the Nazis into power.

Lazy myth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 18, 2022 12:23 AM

Dem Party THE MOST Unpopular Institution IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY: Poll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 18, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] Dem Party THE MOST Unpopular Institution IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY:

I wonder why

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 18, 2022 12:29 AM

I wonder if the Republicans will do something to antagonize the vast majority of women in the country. I wonder how that might affect things.

by Anonymousreply 122May 18, 2022 12:33 AM

R119 = Splitting hairs about semantics by an overzealous OCD queen. SMH & lol. Thanks for making my point. In 1933, the Nazis received the most votes of any participating political party in the election of 1933, by an over 2-1 majority, against the second place Social Democrats. Anafronil will help you relax, dear. Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 123May 18, 2022 1:53 AM

R56, R55 is correct, and you prove other's points here. He makes a valid point and you call him a "Q-Tard", instead of considering that he may be right.

San Francisco is an excellent example. The voters in that VERY LIBERAL city, voted by a large majority to recall three extreme-left school board members who spent a year renaming schools they thought had offensive names, instead of opening schools (as the rest of the country was doing) so teachers could TEACH.

by Anonymousreply 124May 18, 2022 2:27 AM

Just out of curiosity r124, do you think it is possible to be an extremist on the right? Is there anybody in Congress or in public life that you would call an extremist on the right? Is there any reason at all to be concerned about extremism on the right? Does it exist at all as a concept in your mind?

by Anonymousreply 125May 18, 2022 2:38 AM

Have any of these whacked out far left politicians who find everything offensive even cared or bothered to find out what the majority of blacks, Asians, Latinos, gays, etc actually want? Do they even care? Do they even give a fuck that most black people don’t care about cultural appropriation or that most gays don’t want their organizations given to the TQ+?

by Anonymousreply 126May 18, 2022 2:39 AM

I don't know, r126, but I'm guessing at least most of them would like to vote, something Republicans would really, really rather they didn't. Also, they would like a chance to vote for candidates that might represent them, rather than the designated white Republican in the carefully gerrymandered district they have been carved into.

by Anonymousreply 127May 18, 2022 2:41 AM

R126 That would involve Democrats having even a modicum of self-awareness and self-reflection, which we know they don't have. Better to just keep shooting at their favorite targets

by Anonymousreply 128May 18, 2022 2:47 AM

That’s lovely R127. We all have to keep voting for second rate trash just to try to beat the Republicans. We’ve got Joe Biden in office pandering to the trannies and the nonbinary nutjobs with their stupid gender neutral passports. That’s lovely. Let’s just keep pandering to their delusions. Maybe next he can give the presidential medal of honor to Rachel Dolezal and tell her that she’s really black.

by Anonymousreply 129May 18, 2022 2:48 AM

So no, apparently, neonazis and Q types are just fine, as long as they have that R next to their name. Got it, thanks. All wingnuts are righteous, pure, and holy in the eyes of God and r126. Well, that pretty much sums up your party at least. So thanks for that.

by Anonymousreply 130May 18, 2022 2:50 AM

He's on the David Mamet trajectory. Which probably started on 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 131May 18, 2022 2:59 AM

[quote] The more progressive the left gets, the more Libs you will see start to jump ship and vote Independent

Jill Stein? If I wanted to vote for Putin, I'd prefer to see him on the ballot instead of a proxy useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 132May 18, 2022 3:01 AM

I just want a democratic candidate who shits on the TQ+.

by Anonymousreply 133May 18, 2022 3:06 AM

[quote]Sure, right extremists invaded the Capitol, but nothing these people stand for has changed public policy or law.

But you are a Troll, only a Troll would be to blasé about an attempt to overthrow democracy and then go on for two paragraphs about Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 134May 18, 2022 8:34 AM

Confession here. I cheer every time some nut job, extreme right MAGAt bans trannies from competing in women’s sports! The far left has left the barn with this mockery.

by Anonymousreply 135May 18, 2022 9:33 AM

You all done venting? Now tell me what you're going to do to help Democrats actually win elections this year.

Hissing and spitting at people on your own side doesn't help to convert voters who are on the fence to come over to your side. Nor does calling the voters on the other side bigots and deplorable. They may *be* deplorable bigots, but unless Dems have positions that benefit them in some way and can convince them to vote differently, you're not going to be happy come November.

by Anonymousreply 136May 22, 2022 7:29 PM

There's NOTHING you can say to a Deplorable or Trumpeter to make them ever change their vote to a Democrat R138. You are delusional if you think all they need to hear is some good facts or a rational argument in a polite setting. Their votes are baked in ever since he first started trashing Hillary.

Prove me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 137May 22, 2022 10:42 PM

R137 Look at the last 2 presidential elections. Some people voted for Trump in 2016 and Biden in 2020. I find it hard to believe that the people who switched from Trump to Biden did so because of Joe Biden's charisma. Whatever the reason, it's clear that some votes switched from R to D in that 4 year span.

But look, 137. If you're right and people never change their minds, then you probably should move to Europe. Because under your theory, nothing will ever change except for the worse. Get ready for the United States of Gilead.

OTOH, I live in a red county (but a blue state, overall). I am surrounded by Republican voters. I don't agree with them on much, but I talk to them., For most of them bigotry is not a factor in how they vote. Some of them, mostly women, truly believe that abortion kills babies. However, even those people generally are okay with things like IUD's and the morning after pill and some are okay with medication aboortions. Other Trump voters are seriously concerned about jobs and the economy. They are working 2 or more jobs and still just getting by. The Democrats almost never discuss this. Trump pretended to care about them, and they loved that.

A lot of farmers really love Trump because he gave huge payments to farmers to compensate for losses they suffered from his trade war with China. Some of the farms still have Trump signs up.

I don't agree with these people on much, but voting for the person you think will make your life better or who supports your views on an issue you care deeply about is not an irrational or deplorable thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 138May 22, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote] live in a red county (but a blue state, overall). I am surrounded by Republican voters. I don't agree with them on much, but I talk to them., For most of them bigotry is not a factor in how they vote. Some of them, mostly women,

Yeah, that's the problem. All those women who agree with you, love you for who you are will still stab you in the back in the voting booth. Are you in OC? I worked there for a few years, I know the type. Love gay men but against gay marriage when they had the chance to vote on it. Women there are all smiles and pleasant to your face, will tell you they love you, part of their family bla, bla, bla. But when voting season arrives, they get really quite, their mood changes because their HUSBANDS have enlightened them about how voting for a Democrat is wrong. Rinse and repeat, Oh they dont want to upset you, because they don't want to lose you but you're a token to them. Like a pair of shoes or an expensive purse.

by Anonymousreply 139May 23, 2022 9:33 AM

I am in Pennsylvania and I know two people who openly admit they voted for Orange Foolius in 2016 but were soon horrified by their mistake and voted for Biden in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 140May 23, 2022 1:33 PM

r140 The more things change the more they stay the same.

After the 1972 Presidential election, ‘I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.'”

by Anonymousreply 141May 23, 2022 11:55 PM

So, has be blamed the school shooting on liberal hypocrites?

by Anonymousreply 142May 26, 2022 12:24 PM

R139 Here's the thing: if all the people who disagree with you are unable to change their minds, then we're completely fucked. That attitude is not going to lead to societal change. Our country is pretty evenly divided, so you can nurture your bitterness and tell us it's hopeless, but that's a defeatist attitude.

Bottom line: If you can't see the humanity of people who disagree with you, you can't persuade them. Go join the survivalists and store food for the coming civil war or something, because your attitude won't be useful to effect change in society.

And no, I don't live in OC.

by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2022 9:13 PM

Was he off yesterday?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2022 9:19 PM

He’s the eternal devil’s advocate

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2022 9:20 PM

No episode yesterday

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2022 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!