Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

They were playing a lovely Ella Fitzgerald tune at my grandfather's retirement home in the rec area for the seniors.

And it just hit me that the type of music my generation will be "soothed" by in our retirement home rec centers will be this type of shit right here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2022 5:42 AM

Fascinating

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2022 9:28 PM

I don’t know, OP. I love Listening to Ella and conduct imaginary orchestras playing loud-ass Strauss tone poems, but still like to dance and this song brings back high school freshman memories. If you enjoy the music, it’s all good.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2022 9:31 PM

*conducting

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2022 9:32 PM

That's essentially my point r2. For me, it's middle school (when it came out). Elderly people today likely had Ella and Duke songs that came out when they were in middle school and high school. The music that invokes nostalgia for the elders of today is going to sound totally different for the elders 50 years from now. And this will be it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2022 9:34 PM

It’s 2055, this comes and the septuagenarians start twerking.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote] Back That Thang Up

This is a useful instructional video encouraging us to exercise our intestinal muscles to help easy evacuations of the bowel.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2022 9:41 PM

Now OP, you know you get a little twerk in your step when this classic comes on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2022 10:01 PM

Man, there's going to be an activities director leading the seniors in this heartfelt and wholesome classic. Who needs bingo when you have the CoCo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2022 10:17 PM

It will be Adele and Amy Winehouse and hopefully 90s R&B.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 3:16 AM

I remember this timeless classic being played at my prom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 3:25 AM

Now I know why my friends bought long term care insurance. They’ll get to stay home happily demented listening to their CD collection while I’ll be fuming and foaming at the mouth strapped in to my chair at Shady Pines as Alexa plays whatever techno rap reverb crap bouncing off the puce walls

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 3:39 AM

You must not be familiar with Lucille Bogan's "Shave 'Em Dry" from 1935, OP. It was originally sung by Ma Rainey in 1924.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 4:07 AM

I highly appreciate this contribution, r12. Thank you. May the good Lord bless and keep you.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 4:11 AM

You're welcome. Here are a few more gems for you, OP.

"Please Warm My Weiner" by Bo Carter

"It's Tight Like That" by Clara Smith

"Big Long Slidin' Thing" by Dinah Washington

"Lesbian Licks" by Ma Rainey

"Banana In Your Fruitbasket" by Bo Carter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 4:21 AM

But that’s a really good song, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 4:42 AM

It'll be Hootie and the Blowfish, Keith Sweat and Counting Crows. The CD player will be as weird to the young volunteer visitors as the Victrolas were to me. I'll beg for a morphine overdose.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 5:02 AM

r14 Coming with the fire. Thank. I had no idea old people were basically listening to ratchet music back then, too. Gonna save these for an inevitable argument with my folks for later.

Joking aside, I actually enjoyed the music of my youth. Looking forward to sitting in my room with my Afghan on my lap, sipping Sanka and blasting Good Charlotte, not because I'm being obnoxious, but because my hearing aids will probably have perpetually low batteries.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2022 5:36 AM

Haven’t the Afghans suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2022 5:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!