Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

EXPLAINER: White 'replacement theory' fuels racist attacks

NEW YORK (AP) — A racist ideology seeping from the internet's fringes into the mainstream is being investigated as a motivating factor in the supermarket shooting that killed 10 people in Buffalo, New York. Most of the victims were Black.

Ideas from the “great replacement theory" filled a racist screed supposedly posted online by the white 18-year-old accused of targeting Black people in Saturday's rampage. Authorities were still working to confirm its authenticity.

Certainly, there was no mistaking the racist intent of the shooter.

WHAT IS THE ‘GREAT REPLACEMENT THEORY'?

Simply put, the conspiracy theory says there's a plot to diminish the influence of white people.

Believers say this goal is being achieved both through the immigration of nonwhite people into societies that have largely been dominated by white people, as well as through simple demographics, with white people having lower birth rates than other populations.

The conspiracy theory's more racist adherents believe Jews are behind the so-called replacement plan: White nationalists marching at a Charlottesville, Virginia, rally that turned deadly in 2017 chanted “You will not replace us!” and “Jews will not replace us!”

A more mainstream view in the U.S. baselessly suggests Democrats are encouraging immigration from Latin America so more like-minded potential voters replace “traditional” Americans, says Mark Pitcavage, senior research fellow at the Anti-Defamation League Center on Extremism.

WHAT ARE THIS CONSPIRACY THEORY'S ORIGINS?

How long has racism existed? Broadly speaking, the roots of this “theory” are that deep. In the U.S., you can point to efforts to intimidate and discourage Black people from voting — or, in antagonists' view, “replacing” white voters at the polls — that date to the Reconstruction era, after the 15th Amendment made clear suffrage couldn't be restricted on account of race.

In the modern era, most experts point to two influential books. “The Turner Diaries,” a 1978 novel written by William Luther Pierce under the pseudonym Andrew Macdonald, is about a violent revolution in the United States with a race war that leads to the extermination of nonwhites.

The FBI called it a “bible of the racist right,” says Kurt Braddock, an American University professor and researcher at the Polarization and Extremism Research & Innovation Lab.

Renaud Camus, a French writer, published a 2011 book claiming that Europe was being invaded by Black and brown immigrants from Africa. He called the book “Le Grand Remplacement,” and a conspiracy's name was born.

WHO ARE ITS ADHERENTS?

To some of the more extreme believers, certain white supremacist mass killers — at a Norway summer camp in 2011, two Christchurch, New Zealand, mosques in 2019, a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018, a Black church in Charleston, South Carolina, in 2017 — are considered saints, Pitcavage says.

Those “accelerationist white supremacists” believe small societal changes won't achieve much, so the only option is tearing down society, he says.

The Buffalo shooter’s purported written diatribe and some of the methods indicate he closely studied the Christchurch shooter — particularly the effort to livestream his rampage. According to apparent screenshots from the Buffalo broadcast, the shooter inscribed the number 14 on his gun, which Pitcavage says is shorthand for a 14-word white supremacist slogan.

A written declaration by the Christchurch shooter was widely spread online. If the message attributed to the Buffalo shooter proves authentic, it's designed to also spread his philosophy and methods to a large audience.

IS THE THEORY MAKING WIDER INROADS?

While more virulent forms of racism are widely abhorred, experts are concerned about extreme views nonetheless becoming mainstream.

In a poll released last week, The Associated Press and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that about 1 in 3 Americans believe an effort is underway to replace U.S.-born Americans with immigrants for electoral gain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 8:56 PM

On a regular basis, many adherents to the more extreme versions of the “great replacement” theory converse through encrypted apps online. They tend to be careful. They know they’re being watched.

“They are very clever,” Braddock says. “They don’t make overt calls to arms.”

WHO'S TALKING UP THIS THEORY?

In particular, Tucker Carlson, Fox News’ most popular personality, has pushed false views that are more easily embraced by some white people who are concerned about a loss of their political and social power.

“I know that the left and all the gatekeepers on Twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term ‘replacement,’ if you suggest the Democratic Party is trying to replace the current electorate, the voters now casting ballots, with new people, more obedient voters from the Third World,” he said on his show last year. “But they become hysterical because that's what's happening, actually, let's just say it. That's true.”

A study of five years' worth of Carlson's show by The New York Times found 400 instances where he talked about Democratic politicians and others seeking to force demographic change through immigration.

Fox News defended the host, pointing to repeated statements that Carlson has made denouncing political violence of all kinds.

The attention paid by many Republican politicians to what they see as a leaky southern border along the United States has been interpreted, at least by some, as a nod to the concern of white people who worry about being “replaced.”

House Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik's campaign committee was criticized last year for an advertisement that said “radical Democrats” were planning a “permanent election insurrection” by granting amnesty to undocumented immigrants who would create a permanent liberal majority in Washington. Stefanik represents a New York district.

Pitcavage says he's concerned about the message Carlson and supporters are sending: “It actually introduces the ‘great replacement theory’ to a conservative audience in an easier-to-swallow pill."

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote]A racist ideology seeping from the internet's fringes into the mainstream

I think that already happened a few years ago when the Tiki Torch Khaki Dipshits started chanting "the Jews will not replace us."

This isn't new and I think it's sketchy that some media outlets are saying it is. This isn't even that different from the anti-Irish sentiment of 150 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2022 2:45 PM

I look forward to hearing all the Republicans disavow this theory now.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2022 2:46 PM

I say it's time to sue Fox News for civil damages (and possibly criminal negligence for inciting mass murder).

Ruin that network, and take them down. Once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2022 2:48 PM

The families of the people murdered in Buffalo should sue Fox News.

Bring a large class action suit, and seek billions in damages.

I would love to see how that plays out.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2022 2:49 PM

But that's the thing, R3. They won't. There is no shame. There is no repelling your tribe. It is just these fierce, awful divisions. Principle is abandoned. I feel despair about the future and the one good thing about being an eldergay is I'll be dead before civilization and then environment collapse. Though I honestly believe it is possible I will see the collapse of American democracy, maybe even likely.

What have we done? Or allowed to be done?

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote] What have we done? Or allowed to be done?

Unfortunately, we let Australian Rupert Murdoch into this country, and allowed him to poison the minds of millions.

He has so much blood on his hands, it isn't even funny.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2022 2:52 PM

If they sue Fox News, that will open up even bigger lawsuits against Antifa and Black Lives Matter. They certainly incited riots, lootings, and murders.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2022 2:52 PM

[quote]I say it's time to sue Fox News for civil damages (and possibly criminal negligence for inciting mass murder). Ruin that network, and take them down. Once and for all.

I agree. There should be a number of lawsuits against them. But, how about adding these too. Of course the following lawsuits would lose or never gain any traction because of lack of merit, but the negative publicity (if played correctly) just might be catalysts for change;

-Sue Tucker Carlson

-Sue the FOX Board of Directors

-Sue the advertisers who advertise on these programs

-Sue the parents of the murderers

-Sue white supremacists groups

If nothing else... lawyers will make a good living.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] If they sue Fox News, that will open up even bigger lawsuits against Antifa and Black Lives Matter.

Sure, Jan. Good luck with that.

But there is more than enough evidence against Fox News, to link them to this and many other murders.

This article proves that there is a direct correlation between the poison spewed by Fox News, and the mass murder of minorities.

Any lawyer willing to take this on, will become VERY rich.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2022 2:58 PM

[quote]If they sue Fox News, that will open up even bigger lawsuits against Antifa and Black Lives Matter. They certainly incited riots, lootings, and murders.

And, who was murdered, R8? In any event, any piece of lawyer worth salt could present argument against such allegations. I'm sure the right-wing have already explored the possibility though.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2022 3:00 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2022 3:03 PM

There is the ongoing suit against Alex Jones for his Sandy Hook lies. Win that one and the next suit gets easier.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2022 3:04 PM

Elise Stefanik (R-NY) has been espousing this theory for years. Steve Schmidt is on target with everything he has said about her. The twisted young Fascist Congresswoman @EliseStefanik is on the Board. She should be removed immediately or the rest of the Board should resign. It is beyond disgusting that she serves there while spreading the hatred she does. She is no victim. Truly, she is Bloody Elise

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2022 3:07 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2022 3:10 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2022 3:13 PM

Dems a year ago: illegals are needed to replace your lazy white asses who refuse to do hard work for minimum wage.

Dems now: replacement theory is a myth!!

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2022 3:13 PM

Why is the board absolutely flooded with replacement theory posts this morning?

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2022 3:14 PM

R18, replacement theory is the hot topic on cable news at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2022 3:16 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2022 3:17 PM

Some hacker should Hijack Fox News, and show the faces of the murdered Buffalo grocery store patrons, on an endless loop.

To them, it's just a joke.

[quote] Victims of Buffalo mass shooting remembered: ‘Hero’ police veteran and a local driver

A "hero" retired police officer and a 77-year-old community leader are among the 10 victims being mourned by the Buffalo community two days after a gunman attacked a local supermarket.

An 18-year-old white suspect shot 13 people, 11 of whom are Black, in a racially motivated attack, police said.

Among the lives tragically lost were Ruth Whitfield, 86, who was in Tops Friendly Market after visiting her husband in a nursing home, and Pearl Young, 77, who was described by her loved ones as a woman of faith and a pillar in the community. Young ran a local food pantry for more than 20 years, according to reporter Madison Carr.

"She was just a friend to everyone she met," Young's sister, Mary Craig, said on TODAY Monday.

Aaron Salter Jr., 55, was a retired 30-year veteran of the Buffalo Police Department who was working as a security guard at the grocery store. He was shot and killed while trying to stop the gunman, who was wearing body armor, according to police.

"Thank God for our retired officer, Aaron Salter, who was a hero," Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said at a press conference Sunday.

Local driver Heyward Patterson, 67, was killed while helping a shopper load groceries in his car.

"His client was getting ready to get into the vehicle and that’s when he got hit," his wife, Tirzah Patterson, said on TODAY Monday. "People loved him. The community loved him."

She was asked what she would say to alleged gunman Payton Gendron.

"I would say if it weren’t for God, I would have a lot of malice in my heart," Henderson said. "But He teaches us to forgive. I have to forgive him. Because if I don’t, I’m killing me."

Katherine Massey, 72, was also killed in the shooting. Her nephew told NBC News she was a fixture in the community and "the greatest person you will ever meet in your life."

Other victims included Roberta Drury, 32; Celestine Chaney, 65; Geraldine Talley, 62; Andre Mackneil, 53, and Margus Morrison, 52. Mackneil was at the grocery store buying a cake for his 3-year-old son, according to his family.

Three others were wounded in the shooting, two of whom have been treated and released from the hospital, police said.

Gendron stormed the grocery store armed with multiple weapons, tactical gear and a camera on his helmet to livestream the shooting, according to police. He surrendered to authorities and has pleaded not guilty to a charge of first degree murder.

Police said he was investigated last year for making a threat at his high school and underwent a mental health evaluation before being released. Gendron also wrote a 180-page racist manifesto posted online two days before the shooting, authorities said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2022 3:17 PM

Let Tucker Carlson see the faces of the people he helped murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2022 3:18 PM

Joy Reid should see the faces of the people her racist rhetoric helped murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2022 3:21 PM

Apply this same thinking to the 9/11 bombers.

Should we sue the Muslim church?

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2022 3:21 PM

Thank you for the breaking news update, r20, but in case you haven't noticed, no topic gets spammed on Datalounge unless it's being used by trolls to push an agenda.

We would have had multiple threads on the massacre normally, sure, but we're also getting a bunch of these threads "explaining" and "understanding" replacement theory, with plenty of comments like "I don't want my country to be replaced my Muslims" and such.

I asked the question because I wanted people to think a little bit about WHY these things are happening on DL, why are there seven replacement theory threads active right now, what's the purpose of it.

I should have known someone would say "duuh because of news duuuuhhhh" and not even bothered.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2022 3:21 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2022 3:26 PM

The risk is, ageism. I'm late 50s and from a professional workplace. I am jobless. I am white and male. Nobody wants me. I can barely get interviews. I never get the job. It is an emotional thing to go through. I am fortunate that I have both the ability to reason and enough money to cushion the blow, though there's going to be some pain and sacrifice too. Life isn't fair. I know that. But even with my advantages, I am not going to pretend I like it. It sucks. In the end, even the old white guys are people too, with lives and hopes and dreams and anxieties, whatever you may think of their character or politics. Nobody thinks their point of view is wrong.

Now imagine you are an old white without good reasoning skills or a financial cushion. Not everybody could earn what I did, or did earn what i did. Whether you like them or not, feel sorry for them or not, they are real. And the replacement bullshit is a real powerful opportunity for white guys. Because there's them and their families and their friends who see that guy struggling, diminished and - hardest of all - dismissed. And that real disruption and loss is part of the challenge for Democrats, who've got find language around it. Because all the Elise Stefanik's of the political class have to do is rile people up. It's easy and they don't have the character not to.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2022 3:27 PM

Just before anybody attacks, I'm also R6. I have no sympathy for Republicans or white losers (though I am kinda one of them, apparently.) I do see the political risk. That's all I was trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote]the fact that you've only noticed this just now

[quote]your white complicity

Ah, you're one of the trolls, that's why you got so defensive when I asked about the number of threads posted all at once about this one troll-infested topic.

Create a strawman ("you only just noticed there were trolls!") and then attack based on the strawman ("which proves your white complicity to racism!") and then wait for the angry replies to roll in.

I know it works on some but DLers are, slowly, figuring out what you guys are doing. This has to be a waste of time for you these days.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2022 3:34 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2022 3:37 PM

I would love to see Fox News destroyed.

It's truly a cancer on our country.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2022 6:04 AM

All the networks are covering this.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2022 1:11 AM

It is so ridiculous that someone thinks they are taking care of the problem by killing 10 people. It doesn't make a dent in any population by shooting up a few people. Instead, you end up in prison for the rest of your life. Mass shooters are incredibly stupid. They always get caught and they only gain infamy for a short time before they are mostly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2022 1:19 AM

Tucker Carlson probably feels good about this shooting. Now more will be aware of the dangers of replacement!

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 4:34 PM

What makes me sick is that this massacre is circulating on the internet. A MAGA boy at work -quite gleefully- wanted to show me the video. The concept that they were fellow humans and not a video game was totally lost on him.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!