Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wanda Sykes is STILL Traumatized by the Will Smith slap

“FUCK HIM”

Girl. It’s over. Can you really not move on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 3:58 AM

She's not wrong

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2022 1:58 AM

Agree with R1, she's not wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2022 1:59 AM

Go Wanda, Go Wanda. She always makes me laugh. Now she is a double winner for me. The voice a reason as well.

Would be interesting to see how many comics have been threatened since the slap.

And don't start that shit that Chapelle deserved it. Once we get to slappin' for telling a joke, any & everybody becomes fair game. Me, you, Everybody.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2022 2:00 AM

Of course, Wanda is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 11:56 PM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 12:01 AM

The best part is that she is a black lesbian so nobody will call her out on it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 12:10 AM

Hey, this is the material for her new act. She'll be on the road for another year droning on about Will.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 12:19 AM

I am still disturbed by it. Smith’s behavior, the way no one had the balls to have him removed. The way Smith seemed to brag about it afterwards and the way so many people seemed to think his behavior was ok.

It just goes to show that the bar has been lowered considerably.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote] She'll be on the road for another year droning on about Will

She's been a successful standup for decades and has won several Emmy awards for comedy writing, I doubt she needs to scrounge around for material.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 12:25 AM

OP, if she's still traumatized by it, those are her feelings. You were not the host of the show - she was. She probably feels terrible that a colleague and fellow comedian was assaulted by someone during what was supposed to be a celebratory evening.

It shouldn't be forgotten. It shouldn't be excused. It shouldn't be classified as: "Oh get over it". Put that energy into shaming Will Smith and his violent behavior and the Academy for not doing something that evening. If that had been someone from Joe Public that person would still be in jail. Will Smith should be in jail.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 12:30 AM

OP is Jada Stinkett.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 12:34 AM

[quote]She probably feels terrible that a colleague and fellow comedian was assaulted by someone during what was supposed to be a celebratory evening.

Agree this was hugely disrespectful to the hosts on a professional level.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 12:37 AM

Has anyone taken a moment to ask Meghan if she’s OK?

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 12:53 AM

I hope it is part of her material for her new act. I hope she gets a special on Netflix, Peacock, HbO. CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX. Yup, I love to laugh & she will make me laugh. She will keep this in the forefront of people's mind. It should be. Why should people be physically assaulted for a joke. It has now happened more than once. It needs to be called out, till it goes away hanging its head in shame. Violence is not OK.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 1:13 AM

It's so ironic that a man who tried to keep a good guy image his whole career would blow it up the night which is the pinnacle of success for him.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 1:15 AM

I actually have MORE respect for Wanda than I did before. She called out Roseanne on her bullshit. And now she's calling out Will Smith. She doesn't do the "I pray for them" PR bullshit. She calls it as she sees it. He should have been thrown out. Arrested. Not sitting in his chair and going up on stage and giving some meandering bullshit speech about "love".

I like that she is not letting it go or "getting over it". Trauma can be triggered days, months, or years after an incident. Telling people to "move on" is dismissive and, frankly, just another form of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 2:44 AM

I love Wanda Sykes even more now.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 3:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!