Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ABC News reported what the average rent for a 1 Bedroom in some areas has gone up to this year….

Dude. This is getting bad. The rents are becoming outrageous. These prices are nuts.

A 71 YO man I see once a week who always stops to chat with me was telling me the building he has lived in with his wife for over 30 years is trying to push them out. They can’t raise their rents to what they’re charging all the new people moving in from other states so now they keep giving them issues etc. the building management claims they’re problematic etc. he’s so confused why they’re doing this to two elder people. I told him to have a reason to kick you out so they can rent the apartment out to some young white person from Ohio for 4x the rent you’re paying. He said he knows. He doesn’t know what to do.

I didn’t know what to tell him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2022 2:14 PM

Dude. Rents have been outrageous in most American cities for 10-20 years, and getting worse every year. Corporate landlords, the loss of rent-control laws, stratospheric tech sector salaries, and the rise of remote work are all pouring fresh salt into this shit soup.

Thanks for noticing, dude.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2022 10:37 PM

I've read that in some cities, rent has increased more than 60% in under 2 years while wages stayed stagnant. Homelessness and destitution in this country is on the steep incline in several major cities already. Why do you think they're pouring so much money into militarizing and reinforcing the police? The government knows what's coming.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2022 10:37 PM

I guess the answer is move out of Manhattan/Brooklyn. That’s what I plan on doing. Will either look in Queens or commute to work from NJ.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2022 10:37 PM

OP- Prices ARE nuts. Today I filled up my car and I paid $4.719 per gallon for regular credit card at a BP station. Thursday for the same gasoline the station was $4.579. Then gone up 14 cents per gallon in two days.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2022 10:39 PM

R3 a lot of NJ prices are NYC prices almost now, unless you go far away from the city.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2022 10:41 PM

Meanwhile the price of a barrel of crude oil is the lowest it's been in since the Bush administration. And the American government does nothing but outrage-tweet about it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2022 10:41 PM

We’re at over six dollars a gallon here in Southern California.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2022 10:41 PM

R1 I am more than aware. Born and raised in NY. The pricing has never gone up 85% in one year. That’s nuts.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2022 10:42 PM

Will this continue with the rents? Is there any way it will settle down?

R5 - yes you’re right. Some of the older construction though is now what Manhattan rents were before the crazy hikes. The new construction in NJ - luxury high rises - forget it. So expensive. $3500 in Hoboken for a 1BR.

Quite anxiety provoking.

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2022 10:48 PM

I always bought my eggs from my local Target but they raised the price. It almost makes me not want to out of protest but it’s still probably cheaper than elsewhere.

Their store brand eggs were $1.29 for a 12 pack and $1.69 for 18 pack. Now it’s $2.59 for the 12 pack and $3.29 for the 18 pack.

The store brand orange juice was $1.69 then $2.19. This week it went up to $2.69. I can deal with that. But still.

Hashbrowns at the supermarkets near me have skyrocketed. I used to pay $5 for the 20 pack, now it’s $10.89 for the 20 pack. No lie. The cheapest I found it was a little over $6 at Costco and BJs and they were sold out at both.

The Turkey Bacon I buy went up from $3.50 a pack to almost $6.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2022 10:49 PM

DLers who understand economics - where is all this headed? A single avocado at the market today was $5.39.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2022 10:51 PM

OP Tell us more about your 71 year old boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2022 10:56 PM

I paid $800 for a huge basement apartment in Astoria, Queens back in 2000. I was thinking about moving back from the South and looked online at listing, but jeez.... Don't see how people afford it. Even as a professional with a good job, I don't see how single people with one income make it. And it's getting just as bad in the South.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2022 11:08 PM

R13 it’s everywhere now. My friend said FL may be late to the game, but they’re also now starting to bump prices. It’s getting nuts down there too, and he’s in Tampa, not even Miami.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2022 11:17 PM

30 years with reasonable rent is a good run and now it's coming to an end. I'm not sure what the rental laws are in the USA but did this couple really expect that this was their forever home? It's sort of sad but what do people expect?

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2022 11:20 PM

R15 ummm yes. It should be. They’re in their 70s. They’re natives. They very much should be left alone.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2022 11:23 PM

Many of these articles are very misleading. Owner occupied buildings—very common in Brooklyn—tend to be great because the landlords usually want clean, nice tenants who pay the rent on time.

I live on the second floor of a 3 unit building in Brooklyn. I have a 3 bedroom/2 full bath/kitchen with new appliances/dishwasher and—best of all—my own parking space. The only amenity I would love to have but do not is a washer/dryer. My husband & I pay $2,650 a month. I went through a local broker three years ago. These places are rarely published…you walk into a local broker’s storefront and in 30 minutes you’re looking at gems. Of course there’s a broker fee, but it’s worth it. My place before this (2012-2019) when I was single was a one bedroom at $1,700 with true (ducted and vents in the ceiling) central AC…and electric was included.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2022 11:37 PM

R17 good for you. When did you move in?

The news broke it down by area. Not all of Brooklyn, btw.

I pay over $2100 for a studio in Brooklyn, btw. You’re in a minority situation dear.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2022 11:39 PM

R17 do you mind me asking where in Brooklyn? And do you like your neighborhood? Brooklyn is huge and I don’t feel like I have a great sense of the different parts of it.

R18 do you like your neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2022 12:38 AM

New renters next door in Hono pay $1875, studio. Previous tenant moved in 2016, paid $800. A fucking Studio.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2022 12:43 AM

Bideneconomics.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2022 12:49 AM

R20 yup. Around me the studios start for $2000+

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2022 1:04 AM

This started during the Trump administration but both the Biden administration and every state governor has done nothing about it with the exception of Newsom who has made some noise about rent control. Some mayors have, as well.

[quote]Will this continue with the rents? Is there any way it will settle down?

Eventually it will due to just plain supply and demand, but it will be a long time. At least a year or two.

What's happening is that the rent increases are driven by people moving from coastal cities to less expensive ones due to either a job change or their job having gone permanently remote. They're leaving cities where no one is clamoring to fill their vacancies and taking up vacancies in lower income areas where there are no affordable housing alternatives for the locals like the elderly couple in this article. They can't compete with a two-income family earning San Francisco money, and there is no legal incentive for landlords to accommodate them. There is just nowhere for them to go, and with leases ending this year, millions more are about to join them.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2022 3:44 AM

My Hmart in Hartsdale New York now charges $7.99 for a honeydew melon- ouch!

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2022 6:59 AM

OP

I'm sorry, but am calling BS.

If elderly couple mentioned have been living in same apartment for > 30 years they most likely are rent controlled or stabilized. Either way they cannot be touched, long as they pay their rent. If a LL is harassing or otherwise trying to force them out they have remedies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2022 7:04 AM

Rents for one bedroom and studio apartments in NYC are zooming for many reasons, one is there just aren't enough of them to go around.

New construction for past decade or so has focused more on creating large "family" size two or more bedroom units. Meanwhile many studio and one bedroom units that are old rent regulated apartments are occupied by tenants who aren't leaving unless feet first in a box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2022 7:09 AM

Real estate is just going crazy. I bought a run-down condo near a railway line with an injecting room at the end the street for 340K five years ago (it was all I could afford) and now it's valued at 600K.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2022 7:27 AM

It's time to hang all of the landlords and developers.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2022 7:29 AM

R25 I'm not OP, but yes, obviously the reason that the article specifies that they're being terrorized by the landlord is so that they either give up and leave or that the landlord can somehow find a loophole in the rent control criteria.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2022 9:07 AM

When I went to Salt Lake City, a lot of the houses looked like shacks. They were hideous. My friend googled the real estate in the area and the houses were going for over half a million. We were in shock. And then we googled the minimum wage which was like $7.25. It made absolutely no sense.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2022 9:19 AM

I live in a roomy discarded appliance box under the Brooklyn Bridge, and I am quite happy and content with my humble rentless circumstances...

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2022 9:29 AM

R26 that’s bullshit. There are TONS of unoccupied apartments in most of those new buildings. No one can afford them. There needs to be rent control.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2022 1:27 PM

I recently moved abroad and decided to keep my condo in the US (mainly for tax reasons).

I originally told my property manager I didn’t want to be greedy—I would be satisfied with charging enough rent to cover my mortgage, condo fees, and property management fees. However, dozens of qualified renters applied within days and a bidding war ensued.

What are sellers and landlords supposed to do when there’s so much money on the table? I based my asking price off the highest offer a neighbor received from renting their place, and now I’ve established a high water mark for those who put their places on the market for rent over the summer.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2022 2:28 PM

[quote]What are sellers and landlords supposed to do when there’s so much money on the table?

Be a decent human being and not exploit the growing housing desperation as an opportunity to price gouge, of course. But if you need to ask...

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2022 7:15 PM

Columbus Ohio is putting a referendum on the ballot to fix up their crime filled trashy schools. 13% INCREASE in property taxes if it passes. 13 PERCENT INCREASE!!...Are you fucking kidding me? Why do I have to pay for YOUR brats schools?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2022 11:02 AM

Another Reason to not come to (Columbus) Ohio. They are banning TRANS REAFFIRMATION for LGBT Youth.......And they are going to go after the parents!! The Right Wingers have taken over the State Senate. Even DL Fave Tim Ryan is running commercials talking about what his party (the Dems) got WRONG....Ryan Flipped...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2022 11:05 AM

Brooklyn has always been and always will be a dump.

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2022 1:46 PM

Class war

Time to purge

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2022 2:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!