Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Traitor King

A full YEAR after being released in the UK, the Duke & Duchess of Windsor "We luff Adolf" book is being released in the US.

Why such a delay? Any publishing people here to explain it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 21, 2022 5:43 AM

It usually takes about a year to get across the pond, especially books such as this one, which has limited interest and therefore limited financially feasibility. In any event, Lownie's book is available online for a free read. Thanx for the heads up, I'm gonna give it a read.

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2022 1:22 PM

Nazi traitor. He should have been prosecuted for treason.

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2022 1:31 PM

Muck-raking with lots of guesswork and no facts.

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2022 1:40 PM

R3 No facts??? So far, all assertions/quotes are referenced back to their source as footnotes.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2022 1:45 PM

The Brits have always despised him because he dared to marry an American. They have a love/hate relationship with the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2022 2:01 PM

Thanks Meghan!

You can go back to the ERII dartboard now.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2022 2:03 PM

A Darwin Porter inspired biography?

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2022 2:07 PM

Not sure any normal people give a rat's ass anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2022 2:13 PM

I once saw one of his suits on display in a museum exhibit.

You'd think it had belonged to a 12-year-old boy, it was that small.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2022 2:28 PM

Charlie's DL anecdote about the Duke & Walter Chrysler Jnr scores a mention in it!

He should get in touch with the author to confirm the details.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2022 2:28 PM

Lavender

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2022 3:21 PM

R5, It was nothing to do with him marrying an American. Edward VIII is despised for sucking up to Hitler and encouraging a Nazi invasion of the UK, placing him back on the throne as a puppet monarch.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2022 3:50 PM

[quote] The Brits have always despised him because he dared to marry an American.

If he had married a never been married American cash princess, there would not have been the uproar that there was. She was, by the time they married, twice divorced and did not come from a very prominent family. Therefore people considered her unworthy of marrying a King, who is also the head of the CofE, and serving as his consort.

Later, when their Nazi leanings came to light people had more reasons to hate them.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2022 3:57 PM

The Brits have always despised him because he dared to marry an American whore/cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2022 4:04 PM

Edward VIII was a spoilt, immature and selfish manboy. There were concerns about his suitability from Government well before he became King, and his behaviour justified that. He left sensitive Government documents in plain sight for anyone to read, and discussed confidential Government business openly. Mrs. Simpson was in Ribbentrop’s social circle and may well have been passing information to him.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2022 4:06 PM

R15 Also, he would go to places like the mines and talk like a politician.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2022 4:12 PM

Actually, Wallis did come from a very prominent family. Her mother married a poor relation, that died right after she was born.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2022 4:33 PM

R17 Prominent in Baltimore. That wouldn't carry any weight in NYC, let alone London, at that time or today.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2022 4:36 PM

Had he not abdicated, we would be celebrating the Queen’s golden jubilee this summer.

(Assuming he had the same lifespan as king and didn’t destroy the monarchy.)

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2022 4:45 PM

R2, of course, contributes nothing to the thread.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote]Prominent in Baltimore. That wouldn't carry any weight in NYC, let alone London, at that time or today.

But it might have scored her a role in a John Waters film. For which she was perfect!

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2022 4:57 PM

Eh, so what? She was the chicest of that tatty bunch by far. Philip had how many Nazi sisters and relatives?

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2022 5:06 PM

R22 you can’t blame him for his sister’s choices. Also, he was a child when most of them married their husbands. He himself was not a Nazi and disliked them. His mother is a Righteous Among the Nations. Unlike these two who seemed to love them.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2022 5:25 PM

Churchill did not believe this BS, and in fact defended the Duke and Duchess during, and after the war. He asked Eisenhower to keep some of the "documentation" secret, as it was not fair to rhe two. Revisionist history.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2022 5:58 PM

She was hot in Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2022 6:02 PM

Was it known to the public at the time that Wallis had been divorced twice and not once?

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2022 7:19 PM

R26, yes. I used to run a reminiscence discussion group for older people in London. Whenever the Abdication was mentioned, people became very passionate. First, they were furious with him for giving up the throne when the Depression was raging and Hitler was causing havoc in Europe. Second, they were furious with him for taking up with a twice married adventuress- their words. They wanted him to marry a woman they could respect.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2022 9:19 PM

R24 Because Churchill was friends with him, he tried to work out a way to marry Wallis and keep the throne. Of course he wouldn’t believe that his friend was a traitor. I think the royals believed it or there would’ve been some sort of reconciliation at some point maybe even inviting him to live out his golden years at Fort Belvedere. But that didn’t happen even after his brother and mother were dead.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2022 9:30 PM

Two of the most shallow, useless people who ever existed. No one, but no one missed them when they died.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2022 9:31 PM

R29 I wouldn’t say that, I’m sure the tabloids and gossip columnists raised a glass to their memory and all the stories they had given them over the years.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2022 9:33 PM

I did.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] But that didn’t happen even after his brother and mother were dead.

Besides the Duke of Windsor being traitorous Nazi scum, another reason there was never a repproachemente was because the Queen Mum blamed her brother-in-law and his missus for the untimely death of her husband, King George VI. Despite being fond of her Uncle David, Queen Elizabeth heeded her mother's enmity toward the Duke and his Duchess and had no contact with them until just before the Duke died. Queen Elizabeth, who was on a State visit to France, knew that her uncle was dying and made a private visit to him. Right before the visit, she made it know that she would accept the Duchess's presence during her visit. A repproachement, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 32May 13, 2022 5:12 AM

So, The Queen Mother blamed the Duke for her husband's chain-smoking?

There were 2 (at least) meetings in the 60s with The Queen prior to the final. When she met them for the Duke's eye operation (and they settled burial preparations), as well as the infamous unveiling of the plaque for Queen Mary.

by Anonymousreply 33May 13, 2022 5:26 AM

Was she fond of her Uncle David? Do we know this?. All we know is that the Princess Royal remained in touch with him but the Earls of Harewood got kicked for other reasons .

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2022 5:28 AM

R33 The Queen Mum blamed her brother-in-law for not carrying out his duty, for foisting it on her high strung/nervous, stuttering, barely able to cope husband. His chain-smoking was a facet of his inability to cope with the duties of King.

According to several biographies, the Duke of Windsor may have discussed his own burial plans with the Queen, but he did not request from the Queen to have his missus buried next to him at Frogmore until the Queen visited him in Paris. A request which the Queen granted her dying uncle.

R34 Queen Elizabeth's "fondness for her Uncle David" has been repeated in various biographies. A fondness reiterated in her granting his request to have his missus buried next to him at Frogmore, as mentioned above. Left to the Queen Mum, she would have had her sister-in-law's corpse tossed into one of the rubbish bins outside Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 35May 13, 2022 5:47 AM

R35, not true. George smoked excessively, prior to him becoming king

The burial arrangements were made in the 60s, and the plots the Duke had bought for them both in the US were sold.

As for The Queen Mother, she was a bitter cunt that held a forever grudge because she was punching above her station and wanted the Duke for herself. Obviously, he was not interested.

by Anonymousreply 36May 13, 2022 5:58 AM

[quote] bitter cunt that held a forever grudge

Not as bitter as some Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 37May 13, 2022 6:01 AM

Wallis' private nickname for the Queen Mother was "Cookie".

by Anonymousreply 38May 13, 2022 6:04 AM

TQM was a nasty alcoholic. She even said herself that people thought she was nice (paraphrasing), but she was not.

Interesting fact, the fabulous pearl necklace that the Duchess frequently wore was a gift from Queen Mary, early 50s. It was the one Calvin Klein bought for Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 39May 13, 2022 6:14 AM

The Queen Mother's private nickname for Wallis' was "Bitch-stick".

by Anonymousreply 40May 13, 2022 6:15 AM

[quote] Why such a delay?

No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2022 6:18 AM

Queen Mother wasn't clever enough (or sober) to come up Bitch stick.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2022 6:23 AM

More like , pegged king.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2022 6:42 AM

[quote] Second, they were furious with him for taking up with a twice married adventuress- their words.

Thank goodness no divorcee adventuresses have married into the family since.

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2022 7:40 AM

I thought Asians were clean people.

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2022 9:24 AM

[quote]she was punching above her station and wanted the Duke for herself. Obviously, he was not interested.

Wasn't she interested in a military guy who worked at BP in some capacity? The story was that Queen Mary pulled some strings to have him appointed to a position in Canada so her Bertie's chances improved. I read it here on DL in some royal thread.

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2022 11:12 AM

This is a picture of the Queen and Duke's meeting when he went to the UK for medical treatment. It was taken at BO's grounds with zoom lens by pap Ray Belissario, the. D's nemesis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2022 11:38 AM

Linky stinky

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2022 1:41 PM

There's a rich gay guy (see link) who knew the Duchess as he was a director or something of the American Hospital.

He's written several books and is great champion of her, and spent a wodge of money buying up and destroying the pap photo that was taken of her in hospital when she had dementia so no one can see it. A bit pointless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2022 1:47 PM

A website for the Wallis junkies. The pictures are SO Meghanesque, it's scary. Imagine: years from now fraus will be sighing over that bitch too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2022 1:51 PM

The pap photo shows Wallis lying on in a hospital bed with flat white hair brushed flat on the scalp and her mouth open in rictus howl. I've seen it, but good luck trying to find a copy.

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2022 1:57 PM

R50, she was impeccably groomed, dressed, and with fabulous jewels for starters. How is that anything like Meghan?

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2022 3:14 PM

They were all palsy-walsy for the cameras at this 1967 dedication of a Queen Mary plaque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2022 3:33 PM

The Duchess looks so fabulous compared to the rest. That panther brooch!

by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2022 3:19 AM

Wallis was no different than a dumbfuck oligarch's wife. They're always well groomed and bejewelled. Must we worship them too?

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2022 3:26 AM

R55 I would imagine the average oligarch's wife is better looking than Wallis.

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2022 3:30 AM

R55, if they have clothes in museums too, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2022 3:43 AM

I'm about half way through the book, up to the part about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's friendship with gay Jimmy Donahue as well as the Duke's sexuality, when *gasp**shock*, I read the following:

[quote] On the gay forum, [bold]Datalounge[/bold], a couple of elderly posters shared anecdotes:

[quote] We had a good family friend here, who owned a flower shop in our city. In his young adulthood (1940s) he was part owner of a shop in NYC. His business catered to the society crowd. He told us many great stories over the years. One story he told was how he took care of the fresh flowers for the Duke and Duchess when they were in NYC. Our friend told us that sometimes he would literally be chased by the Duke while taking care of the flowers in their apartment.

[quote] One regular poster to Datalounge, ‘Charlie’, wrote that (Walter) Chrysler Jr had told him:

[quote] a story about him and the Duke of Windsor (the former king of England) throwing a party on a Navy ship docked at Jacksonville, Florida, during World War II, I think. He said there were more than 1,000 sailors, and Walter and ‘David’ hired 200 hookers, but Walter and David sucked so much cock our lips were chapped for a week.

The above quote was referenced back to DL thread 8581470-walter-chrysler-jr.

by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2022 3:18 PM

Wallis was more manly than the Duke.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2022 1:32 AM

The Russians think the Ukraine is attacking Russia with help of America. Ordinary Russians believe Putin's propaganda and think like him. They see Ukraine as slave state.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2022 10:07 AM

That possibly explains the recent frau infestation R58. Muriel should sue for reparations.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2022 11:27 AM

Who the hell uses DL as source material for a book? That's insane.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2022 6:38 PM

R62 I'm sure one day there will be academics studying DL like they study the Rosetta Stone or something.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2022 6:40 PM

The Episode in The Crown that deals with the Duke's desire and manipulations to return to England and "serve" the country somehow is Vergangenheit.

It's my favorite episode not just for the history but it's executed in such a divinely dramatic way from start to finish with superb performances by the actors - lead, supporting and even minor ones. Just a delicious episode. There are quite a number of clips from it on Youtube. I like the way they combined the British visit by Billy Graham and his visits with the Queen to inject the idea of forgiveness and how she grappled with it. That was really well done and the actor who played Graham did a marvelous, nuanced job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2022 7:03 PM

R64 Yes, and unlike many aspects of the Crown, the Graham visit coincides with known history. They did become friends and he did advise her spiritually. She is one of the few women he was known to be alone with other than his wife. He considered himself the Pastor to Presidents and I guess he figured his ministry also included Queens. I remember reading an in-depth article about their friendship and it really was an ongoing thing, it wasn't one or two meetings in the 50s. I can understand why she would want a spiritual advisor that was not a member of the church that she was anointed to head and neither was he a subject of her realm. She probably felt freer sharing things with him than she would the Archbishop of Canterbury.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2022 7:11 PM

Sample clips from Vergangenheit. I think it's S2 E6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2022 7:15 PM

The Queen taking advice on forgiveness after she can't bring herself to forgive her uncle. Claire Foy is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2022 7:28 PM

A bit OT: I am embarrassed to admit I did not know this. Thank you, R65, for that bit of history. There is a Youtube vid on the relationship between the Queen and Billy Graham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2022 7:31 PM

R9: By all accounts, "David" had the genitals of a 12 year-old, too.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2022 8:29 PM

[R1] Link to the online read?

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2022 8:48 PM

I just FINALLY watched the Scotty Bowers doc (never read his book) and was interested to see he claimed to service Ed and Wallis, providing women and men, and that she bossed the scenes and he generally simpered and slumped and did what she said.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2022 8:49 PM

I still don't get why TQM was so pissed. She went got to be the fucking queen and based on the lifestyle she kept, she loved spending loads of money and being treated like a queen. She also despised her brother and sister in law so abdication removed him from her life. I don't know why her husband was constantly stressing during the war, it's not like he was Churchill shouldering the actual tough decisions. He just had to give speeches, waive, and then get back to the palace for dinner.

TQM just sounds bitter for bitterness sake. No one forced her to be single for the rest of her life either. Though she was no looker so maybe her options were limited. She could have remarried if she wanted, but the perks mattered more than anything else so she didn't look for a new husband.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2022 10:35 PM

R72, they had a very happy life before he had to take the throne with not much stress. She believes the stress killed him. Maybe it played a part and kept him smoking.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote]A website for the Wallis junkies. The pictures are SO Meghanesque, it's scary. Imagine: years from now fraus will be sighing over that bitch too.

Love the flamingo brooch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2022 11:04 PM

Please. Meghan is a rank amateur compared to Wallis. She snagged the reigning sovereign who abdicated his throne for her. She wasn't the wife of the whining spare doing the chicken dance on the Ellen show.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2022 11:17 PM

Interesting, that Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother ended up with a title that had Queen in it twice.

She was never getting married again, she loved playing the widow.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2022 11:27 PM

Elizabeth Taylor purchased Wallis' Prince of Wales Brooch at auction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2022 11:57 PM

[quote]Who the hell uses DL as source material for a book?

One of the sources was Charley, an eldergay who DL old timers will remember. Apparently he befriended one of the Duke's old friends while working in a NY store. He made the mistake of mentioning he lived in the Hamptons or nearby, and one or a pair of particularly vile trolls became weirdly jealous, and took to hounding him. I think he left DL.

by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2022 2:15 PM

The British Empire were just as bad as the Nazis, in fact they provided them with the model for concentration camps in their colonial territories. It makes me laugh how everyone vilifies Edward like his entire family aren't complicit in the bedrock of white supremacy which was the BRITISH Empire.

by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2022 2:28 PM

Stop trying to derail the thread with your white supremacy shit, you pathetic racist.

by Anonymousreply 80May 18, 2022 2:53 PM

r80 why do you Brits think you are different from Nazis? You are one and the same. You have subjugated the world.

by Anonymousreply 81May 18, 2022 3:05 PM

Yeah, and without the British, India would now be an ever bigger shithole than it is. The country is still surviving on the enormous legacy of its British infrastructure, heritage of education, and language. They should kiss the Queen's arse. If you want to make accusations about truly evil colonial regimes, go start a thread about Belgium or Germany.

by Anonymousreply 82May 18, 2022 3:32 PM

r82 white supremacist empire apologist.

by Anonymousreply 83May 18, 2022 3:56 PM

No set of elites in human history got to the top by playing nice.

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2022 7:55 PM

[quote]white supremacist empire apologist.

Regurgitate the Delcolonisation Koolaid that was forced down your throat at college somewhere else R83. It only brings derision here.

by Anonymousreply 85May 21, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote]We had a good family friend here, who owned a flower shop in our city. In his young adulthood (1940s) he was part owner of a shop in NYC. His business catered to the society crowd. He told us many great stories over the years. One story he told was how he took care of the fresh flowers for the Duke and Duchess when they were in NYC. Our friend told us that sometimes he would literally be chased by the Duke while taking care of the flowers in their apartment.

That's in the book?!? I wrote that on here several years ago!

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2022 4:49 AM

R86- We would love to hear more! 😘

by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2022 4:51 AM

[quote]That's in the book?!? I wrote that on here several years ago!

Then you should get in contact with the author. I'm sure he'd like to credit you as a name source rather than anonymous source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2022 5:23 AM

Here's his Twitter account. You could send him a DM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2022 5:24 AM

How is he related to Tiger King?

by Anonymousreply 90May 21, 2022 5:37 AM

[quote] why do you Brits think you are different from Nazis

[quote] white supremacist empire apologist.

Far better to let others assume you're a complete idiot than to post and remove all doubt.

by Anonymousreply 91May 21, 2022 5:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!