Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Despite its reputation, Hollywood is not all that progressive.

Sure, it's full of (performative) activism, but most movies and shows are centrist at best. Hollywood is first and foremost a business. Even self-described "left-wing" creators who are given carte blanche end up of making centrist, sometimes even (unintentionally?) conservative movies and shows.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2023 9:05 AM

Your entire comment is SO 2002.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2022 5:37 AM

Hollywood fake woke BS!

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2022 5:40 AM

Hollywood is only seen as "liberal" because The US is so socially conservative compared to the rest of the developed world. If you watch foreign cinema, you'd realize Hollywood is in actuality, very conservative and afraid to take risks. It's all for profit and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Other countries have governments that invest heavily in the arts, so creative risk-takers get funding for their projects. Hollywood employs the same directors and actors for everything because it's a safer option and too much is invested to make a huge box office to take any type of risk.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2022 5:45 AM

Hollywood is more libertine than liberal.

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2022 5:22 AM

It’s because it’s show BUSINESS. Money rules.

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2022 5:53 AM

R3 who gives a fuck about the rest of the world? Particularly Europeans? Only the libtards in Hollywood have ever cared. But with the country on the road to ultra-conservatism, the country will become more insular and patriotic. It will be America First, after all.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2022 6:16 AM

Gag and die, OP, if you are so oppressed.

Fuck off, Log Cabin cunt troll. No one wants you here, and your obesity stinks!

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2022 7:04 AM

It shouldn’t be progressive. It’s a business, not a charity.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2022 7:19 AM

The fact that you think the activism is insincere says a lot about you, OP. Assholes who don't care about anyone or anything usually make the mistake of assuming everyone is as cynical or selfish as them. Performative, PC, virtue signalling etc. It's all the same.

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2022 7:27 AM

Of course it is not progressive. There are as many gay A-listers in Hollywood as there are gay officials in Putin’s administration.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2022 8:08 AM

I think most movies and shows more or less uphold the status quo for a few reasons:

1. The creators are too scared to go truly left.

2. Pressure from the money people.

3. Most people in the industry are actually social and economic neoliberals and do not truly want to change the world.

I think it's mostly number 3.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2022 2:46 PM

R3, good points. Also, let's remember that the reason so many Superhero movies are being made is because they have 0 risk and because they make a ton of money in China.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2022 3:06 PM

The people with the most money are almost always conservative. If they weren't before they starting bringing in the big bucks, they become that way. They don't want to take creative risks that might make them lose money. Hence: the glut of superhero movies and reboots of franchises that have done well in the past.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2022 5:42 PM

Go eat Trump's shit and die in Florida since it must be the place where the progressive congregate, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2022 10:22 PM

Doesn't Florida and Hollywood have the same slogan: Don't say gay R14

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2022 7:40 AM

R14 look at R15

Who's eating shit? UR It's bullshit! Ever hear of Harvey Weinstein? A serial predator known, tolerated and praised by the Hollywood elite. They are no better than Trump! They just pretend to care.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2022 7:54 AM

and Hollywood will willing edit out anything that might offend China R12

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2022 8:00 AM

R8 but nonetheless they shouldn't have given a standing ovation to the man who assaulted someone right before their eyes 30 mins prior.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2022 5:28 PM

95% of them don't want a bigger and better table, they just want more seats at that crappy table.

A good way to put it.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 1:53 PM

Hollywood was founded by some of the misfits of society but they always strive for respectability and wanted to rub elbows with the conservative movers-and-shakers of the world, so they've never really been as liberal as they like to think they are. That's why despite the Academy having a hard-on for movies about the movie business, they are loathe to give much attention to anything about the McCarthy era when Hollywood collaborated with the most conservative of the conservatives to ruin their own.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2022 2:08 PM

Films are liberal because 2/3 of the audience are liberal. The studios sell liberal films. They are a business.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2022 12:10 AM

I read an essay online written by someone named Amanda Daily that made me realize US movies and shows are even less progressive/leftist than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2022 10:08 AM

[quote] than I thought.

You thought wrong, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2022 10:16 AM

This has been a common take since .... forever?

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2022 10:20 AM

[quote]I read an essay online written by someone named Amanda Daily that made me realize US movies and shows are even less progressive/leftist than I thought.

The mainstream US movies are indeed very socially conservative. It looks like parts of Hayes code are still applied. They are puritan, depict "family values", adultery is punished or the perpetrator returns in his marital nest with tail between his legs, when abortion is considered the woman decides like Madonna "I'm keeping my baby", parents and kids have the most unrealistic sugary relationships like Trump and Ivanka (without incestuous connotations). Gays are asexual castrated flamboyant and silly leading lady's friends. Lesbians are pretty feminine young girls. Besides flamboyant queen, the leading lady has the black best female best friend (even when her husband is member of KKK). Poverty doesn't really exist or if it does the poor girl finds a millionaire to save her.

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2022 6:48 AM

A lot of Hollywood are rednecks with money. Some come from white trash backgrounds or conservative families they rebelled against.,Not to say they’re all right wing Republicans but a lot of actors and writers, directors are from the midwest and are still carrying that upbringing.

Kind of like how I’m in Boston and there’s a lack of God everywhere but the Catholic guilt is still there.

That’s why those white trash movies always sweep the Oscars. That’s why Hollywood loves the Cohen Brothers.

That’s why liberals like Amy Adams and Ron Howard made “Hillbilly Elegy” because it’s so close to home for them.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2022 7:36 AM

What's wrong with being centrist? Why does it need to be left-wing? The left is just as hateful as the right. They both dehumanise and vilify people.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2022 7:42 AM

Adopt an African kid? Hell, at this stage I'd hitch my wagon to Jussie Smollett.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2022 8:02 AM

All one has to do is read stories about Hollywood workers falling asleep at the wheel on their drive home due to the unreasonable hours to understand that Hollywood is NOT progressive when it comes to their own environment.

Their bullshit woke "We are so much better than the rest of you" is just that - bullshit.

Because they do not walk the walk when it comes to their own business or when it impacts their own projects.

See link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2022 3:11 PM

And a similar story from over 20 years before.

Seems not much has changed.

So - progressive?

NOT WHERE IT COUNTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2022 3:13 PM

It's the talent who are progressive. The studio executives are all low life scumbags who hate liberals.

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2022 3:13 PM

Come on, Putin is more progressive than HW.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2022 3:15 PM

Indeed! Who else has the range to play Harriet Tubman but I? Yet the Hollywood fat cats got nervous and the project never went beyond development stages.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2022 3:18 PM

A real progressive true believer would have nothing to do with show business. However, the level of phoniness and hypocrisy varies. Some are in such a bubble that they don't realize it.

by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2023 7:39 AM

[quote] Hollywood was founded by some of the misfits of society

Hollywood was founded by some sharp operators who ran to the far side of the country to escape Thomas Edison's law suits accusing them of infringing on his motion picture patents.

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2023 9:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!