Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DLers, what do you know about visiting Peru? Anyone been recently?

We are looking at going for a couple weeks in August, and DLers have the best travel tips.

As an aside, I understand that in Peru, all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils. So here’s hoping!

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2022 4:18 PM

Fat

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2022 4:24 PM

Aaron, since you are already in Colombia, Peru is as convenient as it is going to get. The llamas and Incans will not be impressed by your chest or tan though.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2022 5:06 PM

Ha r2! I don’t want his tan because I don’t want melanoma. But I’d be happy if I was in 50% the shape that he’s in. That’s one of the things we’ve been thinking about: being in shape for a place where there will be altitude issues.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2022 5:10 PM

It's an endlessly fascinating country to visit if you're into checking out archaeological sites, ruins, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2022 5:13 PM

I haven't been, but I have looked into it a bit. I know that they had some of the strictest Covid protocols and may still do - I mean stuff like you must wear a double mask and a face shield to go to a grocery store. A bit over the top, imo.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2022 5:31 PM

OP, if you go, try to visit more than Machu Picchu. MP is amazing, but there are so many other sites with a fraction of the tourist traffic.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2022 5:35 PM

Small amounts of cocaine is legal and cheap!

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2022 5:46 PM

I've been to Miss Coco Peru and she gave me herpes.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2022 9:21 PM

If you go to Machu Picchu, be sure to spend a couple of easy days in Cusco as the altitude can really do a number on you.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2022 10:30 PM

Thanks, r9. We are booking now. Looks like we'll be in Peru 9 full days. Altitude is a big concern for me. I don't want to spend time with me or him nauseous and inactive.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2022 10:34 PM

Enjoy the cuisine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2022 10:37 PM

R11, it tastes like crunchy rabbit!

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2022 1:32 AM

You can get medication from your doctor to prevent/reduce altitude sickness, OP; seemed to work in my experience. Have a great trip--the people there were very kind (and the men were pretty cute) when I went about eight years ago....

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2022 5:30 PM

It took my partner five days to acclimate to Cuzco's altitude, and even then...

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2022 6:08 AM

Take antibiotics, probiotics and Imodium.

Just in case.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2022 6:14 AM

Cuzco = higher than two Denvers.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2022 6:17 AM

We leave Wednesday. We start in Lima. Then we are in Cusco and the highlands for 5 nights (Machu Picchu / Lake Titicaca) before back in Lima for 3 nights.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2022 10:49 PM

Have fun, OP!

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2022 11:09 PM

Actually, OP rather than "breathe freedom", breathing is a bit of a problem for foreigners travelling to Peru. Be sure to go to an Oxygen acclimating hotel for at least 3 days before you attempt to visit Machu Picchu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2022 11:15 PM

Tell Paddington hello!

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2022 11:16 PM

Also, altitude causes farting.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2022 11:30 PM

Lima's Gold Museum is worth a visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2022 11:32 PM

Scary and fabulously exciting at the same time. Oh the wonders you will see .

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2022 11:45 PM

[quote]I know that they had some of the strictest Covid protocols and may still do - I mean stuff like you must wear a double mask and a face shield to go to a grocery store. A bit over the top, imo.

They have the world's highest COVID death rate, so it's understandable.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2022 11:48 PM

Gold Museum had fake gold:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2022 1:10 AM

I guess you were too late for the Cole Porter Festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2022 1:26 AM

I visited earlier this year. They’ve eased their Covid policies somewhat, but masks are required indoors pretty much everywhere that’s not somebody’s house. The locals in the cities are still wearing masks outdoors pretty much constantly and to a person. They’ve done away with mandatory face shields and double-masking. Masks are still required on flights into and within the country.

You can do Lima in two nights. There’s not a ton of must-see attractions.

Agreed about spending one or two days in Cuzco to acclimate to the altitude. We did, and I didn’t have any issues except for the first 20 mins of hiking near Machi Picchu when I was huffing and puffing way more than I would at lower altitude. I took a quick break, and afterwards had no trouble. I didn’t take any medication ahead of time for altitude sickness and definitely never felt the need for any; obviously results may vary, so it may be a good idea to get an Rx just in case.

We didn’t go to the rainforest, but heard raves from other travelers we met. It’s a big country. It’s tough to build an itinerary that includes Lima, Cuzco, MP, and Titicaca, and also have time for a rainforest adventure. That seems like it should be a separate trip altogether.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2022 1:27 AM

Day 1: we stayed in Central Lima. It’s only ok with an odd mix of impressive government buildings and obvious poverty. The food was great, though. And the people are extremely polite and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2022 11:08 PM

R28, how has the rest of your trip been?

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2022 4:01 PM

Back. It was great.

Cusco was an amazing city. The altitude was a little bit of a struggle. But it was one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. We walked to Sacsayhuamán above Cusco as it got close to dusk. The image was breathtaking - the mountain valley surrounded by thousands of lights on the mountain sides around Cusco was incredible. And I was surprised at how much history is still there from the pre-Spanish area.

I was prepared to hate Machu Picchu. But it was incredible too. I'm in awe of what the Incas were able to achieve with their own way of building, i.e., using no mortar but polishing massive stones to fit together perfectly like a puzzle. But with an awareness of earthquakes and the use of trapezoid windows to absorb some of the shock to leave the structures standing. And Peru manages access so that it does not feel mobbed like you'd see in Europe.

Puno was good, but Lake Titicaca was great. And Taquile Island was incredible. I would be happy to spend a week sitting on Taquile Island with some books, some wine, and their food.

I frankly hated Lima after the first day. But we returned for 3 nights. And it turned out to be a wonderful city (mostly because we stayed in Miraflores). But we walked all over Lima. Even in the poor parts, we felt really safe. And the food was just great meal after great street food after great meal. And that climate - geez, they had the most extraordinary looking vegetables and fruit. Massive and colorful potatoes and corn and celery and strawberries. If that was in the US, it would look great but taste like shit because it was cultivated for looks and not flavor. But not there. It all tasted incredible. The only bad meals were ones that were obviously focused on tourists (e.g., we got stuck in a restaurant with a tour guide for guinea pig night - the guinea pig tasted like overcooked meat).

The hotels outside of Lima were not as high end, but they were immaculately clean with pretty large rooms - again, a surprise. I was expecting something like some European shitty hotel rooms I stayed in when I was poor and young.

The people were uniformly friendly.

All in all, a fantastic trip. And cheap. My god, it was cheap.

And there was so much eye candy in Lima. So many guys had that black hair-dark eyes look. Hot boys.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 8:56 PM

Awesome thanks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 9:06 PM

Ayahuasca!

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 9:09 PM

r31, that song was played EVERYWHERE. Along with Guantanamera and something that might have been called "Pacha Mama".

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 9:22 PM

Is Machu Picchu haunted? I’ve read about people who were sensitive to such things being able to get in touch with dead souls while they’re there

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 9:29 PM

Thanks for posting a follow up. That so rarely happens on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 9:32 PM

Peru is a great place to visit. Like OP, we found that the food was uniformly very, very good. After getting back and reflecting on it, I was surprised to find that what I liked the best were the people there...and I am NOT a people person. Cusco and the Miraflores area of Lima were both very nice and we never felt unsafe walking around.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 9:33 PM

The cruelty of man is as wondrous as Peru.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 9:37 PM

No idea, R34. The guides (all Peruvian) stayed away from the superstitious stuff and focused more on the intellect and work it took to do many of the things the Incas and the earlier cultures did.

Or, as we were told at Ollantaytambo, "it wasn't aliens - it was just our ancestors".

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote] As an aside, I understand that in Peru, all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils. So here’s hoping!

And meanwhile, at that very moment, a Shining Path guerrilla sharpens his bayonet in his safe house while thinking, "I sure wish I would come across a capitalist tourist running dog so I could kill him!"

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 9:52 PM

R30, did you try the ceviche?

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2022 8:26 PM

In San Francisco all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2022 4:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!