Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ooni Pizza Oven

I want one!!!

They seem to be all the rage right now.

Does anyone else here have one?

How do you like it?

Do tell, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2022 8:55 PM

My neighbor has one. He used it a lot last summer and never since

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2022 11:58 PM

No good, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2022 12:01 AM

"Can we make creepy crawlers in it?"

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2022 12:02 AM

It great if you take the time to figure out the perfect pizza for you—dough consistency, sauce, time in oven.

It takes about 20 pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2022 12:06 AM

Not a bad price, especially for the amateur pizza cook.

A real pizza oven is ridiculously priced.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2022 12:07 AM

ping me when they make one you can use inside in the winter in Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2022 12:10 AM

Our friends got one a couple summers ago. My impression is they are very finicky, and very hot, and that you should be ready for a lot of burnt pizzas at first.

Then at the end of its second summer, when they had finally sorta mastered it and were cranking out awesome pizzas, a piece of the oven broke, and they haven't bothered to send away for a replacement. Which tells me it was all kind of a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2022 12:10 AM

Honestly, there's such a small difference in taste and texture with the pizzas I already make that something like this wouldn't net me enough change in quality to be worth it unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2022 12:42 AM

R8, I'd be careful if I wuz yoo... Muriel's going to volunteer you for movie night in the DL bunker. You'll have ancient kweens in caftans fawning over you. Can you live with this possible reality? ;~}

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2022 1:06 AM

I volunteer as tribute ZW!

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2022 1:53 AM

Yoni 🍕 ovens?

Is this a newfangled slang thing? Is pregnancy now "a pizza in the oven"? Does fucking have something now to do with slapping calzones?

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2022 2:50 AM

I just bought two large pizzas and a salad from the local pizzeria. It was fucking $66!

You’ll pay for the pizza oven in no time

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2022 2:55 AM

How about buying a pizza stone and using your existing oven?

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2022 2:56 AM

We have an ooni karu and it’s great. Yes it will take practice to get the hang if it. The Pizza Gavones (youtube) new haven pizza dough recipe is a good one. Karu can use wood, charcoal or propane to heat it. It’s not quicker than picking up pizza, but it’s fun to do with friends over.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2022 10:10 AM

I looked up ooni karu and the prices - models are all over the map. Which one are you referring to R14?

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2022 10:22 AM

R6 I have an Ooni Karu 16” and used it all winter long in Sweden. It takes a bit longer to get to temp in below freezing conditions but still makes great pizza.

R14 You are right, it is great fun when friends are over. I have also traveled with it (over to friends and camping) with great success.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2022 11:01 AM

This is just another item doomed to take its' place in the garage or under counter kitchen gadget graveyard.

I suppose the crock pot, waffle maker, George Foreman grill and the air fryer will enjoy its' company.

The juicer has been lonely as of late.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2022 11:42 AM

R15 we bought the ooni Karu 12” with the propane attachment. All in It was about $475 in Summer 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2022 3:29 PM

Well, if it's all the rage right now, OP, I suggest you buy one this instant and sort out the details later.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2022 3:40 PM

I make pizza on my traeger grill, and can’t imagine anything tasting better.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2022 3:43 PM

Ooni?

Is it korean?

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote] How about buying a pizza stone and using your existing oven?

Exactly. I like to avoid unitaskers that take up a lot of space.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote]ping me when they make one you can use inside in the winter in Vermont.

Here you go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2022 7:45 PM

[quote]How about buying a pizza stone and using your existing oven?

Doesn't work. For real Neapolitan style pizza, you need an oven that can reach from 700f to 1200f. They have to cook hot and fast under 2 minutes to make the crust rise properly. Most home ovens only get up to 550f. Trust me, I have tired. They even make pizza steels which are better and get hotter than the stone but still cannot achieve what a real pizza oven can do.

Sure you can make piazza in a home oven, but don't expect it to be any better than crappy DiGiorno pizza from the frozen section.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2022 7:54 PM

Pizza cooks in less than 1 minute, plus just like watching this guy, so passionate about making pizza and not too hard on the eyes either:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2022 7:58 PM

r25

You wouldn't know the difference anyway. I can guarantee you a double blind test and you'd fail

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2022 8:05 PM

Dorothy hurt my oony.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2022 8:08 PM

I use my gas Weber grill, and pizza comes out great.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote]You wouldn't know the difference anyway. I can guarantee you a double blind test and you'd fail

You type like a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2022 8:35 PM

r24, if you set your oven to broil and start on the stovetop with a cast iron pizza pan (lodge) you can come close enough. certainly better than most delivery pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2022 3:10 AM

I would have liked to see “fat whores” somewhere in the title of this thread OP.

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2022 3:30 AM

I want an Oona pizza oven!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2022 3:33 AM

You guys are crazy, whenever I want a great pizza I just call these guys and have one delivered 😛

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2022 3:39 AM

[quote][R24], if you set your oven to broil and start on the stovetop with a cast iron pizza pan (lodge) you can come close enough. certainly better than most delivery pizzas.—rescue-chick

Yeah, I tired that. Still not the same. You can do the same thing with a baking steel instead of a baking stone. 1/4 thick piece of steel that heats up like cast iron in the oven. My stove is electric to the stove top would not get it any hotter since there is no flame.

There is one other way but I am not willing to do it. I was reading this guys pizza blog who eventually went on to opening up his own restaurant and what he did was cut the safety lock off his self cleaning oven and turned it onto the cleaning cycle. It worked! His pizzas looked great because self cleaning goes up to 1,000 in some models. The catch is you void your warranty and it's a huge safety hazard.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2022 7:11 AM

Is there a solar powered version?

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2022 8:07 AM

R13 Most non-restaurant home ovens don’t get hot enough to cook pizza properly, with or without a stone.

Another option to look into are the Big Green Egg grills; you can get temps up to 1100 or 1200 degrees with those.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2022 8:56 AM

Isn't there a point when pizzas are "good enough"? Home oven with a pizza steel is good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]I just bought two large pizzas and a salad from the local pizzeria. It was fucking $66

Wow, that's pretty crazy.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2022 6:16 PM

Cool, you can cook a whole bunch of shit in these ovens, and not just pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2022 5:05 AM

R2, The neighbor probably couldn't zip his pants after a summer of pizza "all the time" and decided it was for the best to put the pizza oven away "for awhile."

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2022 5:30 AM

You don't really have a kitchen if you don't have an air fryer, a pizza oven, a bread maker, a rice cooker...

If there's still room to put a fork down on the counter you are not well equipped.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2022 5:37 AM

[quote]Isn't there a point when pizzas are "good enough"?

NEVER! Bite your tongue, that's blasphemous! I will pray for you. 🍕🍕🍕✝️

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2022 7:46 AM

I was going to get one, then I thought to myself "the pizza I make in my oven is pretty damn tasty. How much better would it taste if I spend $500 more? The pizza ingredients are more important than the appliance.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2022 8:43 AM

Oh, I totally disagree R43.

Ingredients are certainly important, but to many people, the crust is equally important.

And the only way to get a really good cracker-like crust with a little bit of char, is with a proper pizza oven.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2022 10:26 AM

I've decided to order one online.

Woo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2022 8:34 PM

Hey R8 rescue-chick. how do you make your dough? do you use 00 flour? Also my oven gets to 500, should i get a pizza stone or steel? You are so right on how expensive pizza is now and it inconsistent and sucks!

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2022 8:41 PM

r46, I use regular flour and add gluten flour (I usually use Bob's Red Mill). I am a HUGE fan of (Lodge) cast iron pizza pans. I am not a fan of stones or wheels, perhaps I would be if I had an actual pizza oven but I need something I can start stovetop and move to an oven. I have tried all kinds of pizza pans etc and just can't beat cast iron for extremely crunchy thin crust no matter how much sauce I put on. I also have a round cast iron (Lodge) bacon press that I use on top of the dough on the stove top.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2022 10:37 PM

Thanks r-c. Gonna try it :)

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2022 1:32 AM

Does anyone have a gluten free pizza dough recipe?

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2022 1:40 AM

r48, I have found that the dough does best if you knead it (I use my kitchenaid) and then refrigerate it for 3 days. don't get discouraged and good luck!

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2022 1:49 AM

Damn, I have a mean craving for pizza with a crispy crust right now!

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote]Does anyone have a gluten free pizza dough recipe?

Is that a joke? Gluten development is what makes the best pizza crust. Big puffy edges, open crumb, light and airy dough, crispy crust, not that thick dense shit you get out of the box like DiGiorno.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2022 8:44 AM

[quote] I have found that the dough does best if you knead it (I use my kitchenaid) and then refrigerate it for 3 days. don't get discouraged and good luck!

I can confirm this. 3 day fermentation in the refrigerator makes the best dough. Creates lots of airy open bubbles in the crown of the pizza and development of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2022 8:47 AM

My God, how much pizza do you even eat? I might have a slice every two months or so. Don't need a special machine for that

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2022 12:38 PM

You still have to have a good pizza dough recipe. This is the really issue.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote]My God, how much pizza do you even eat?

Home made pizzas are small, individual size. Much like what you would get in Italy, not the super size you get from Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's or other fat chain store factory produced pizza. When I make them at home, I split with my partner so basically 2 small slices.

Also, if you make it right like a true Metropolitan style, they are about half the calories because the dough is mostly open air space and stretched very thin. It's not like dense white bread you get from shitty American chains or freezer section. That's the secret why Italians in Italy can eat pizza on a regular basis and not get fat like Americans.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2022 8:55 PM

^^^Neapolitan^^

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2022 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!