Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which One Of You Tastefully Pretentious Bitches Put Your Weekend House On The Market? Part Cinq

Nude male sculpture, check. Profusion of boxwoods, check. Horizontal books on shelf, check. Leather upholstered front door, check. Wait, is that a thing now? Weigh in with your thoughts and delusions, DL. Do me proud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2022 1:35 AM

OP- That kitchen is ALL WHITE therefore it’s RACIST therefore it needs to be CANCELED.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2022 7:42 PM

Kitchen so white . . .

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2022 7:44 PM

I like the penis light in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2022 7:46 PM

Small rooms

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2022 7:47 PM

Why are all the books shelved horizontally? It suggests the owners don't need ready access to their books (except those on the top of the pile).

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2022 7:48 PM

Not a single television in any of the pictures which I find kind of odd.

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2022 7:48 PM

Hate to break it to you but the owner may not be a homo. Maybe an evil desecrater did it for him? It’s not a thing of beauty by a long shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2022 7:54 PM

Do they roast whole pigs or deer in that living room fireplace?

That is the most boring all white kitchen I've ever seen, and that's saying something because most all white kitchens are antiseptically dull.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2022 7:55 PM

One does not need television in the country. One needs quiet rest and relaxation, R6.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2022 7:56 PM

You'd have to be under 5'6" tall to live there, even semi-comfortably. I'm 6'4"; the ceilings are so low I'd hit my head just standing up.

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2022 8:01 PM

Oh please. I live in an old house and I am 6'2. You're not gonna hit your head because you are 6'4. Ceilings are lower in old houses, but this one has been added on to extensively. Trust me, you'd be fine.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2022 8:15 PM

I'll take the ten olive green leather upholstered dining chairs, and maybe those two rosy-red overstuffed chairs. The rest you may divide amongst yourselves.

At first glance the exterior offered promise: a pokey Federal period house with a handsome Greek Revival door, a place that grew in all directions and hopefully had an early 20thC owner who lavished money and good design on quality interiors. No, any suggestion that layers of quiet luxury might be revealed inside were shot on opening the front door. Inside it's rather awful what they did with a simple and honest house, demolishing original plaster ceilings to reveal runty little beams never meant to be exposed (the corner posts on the other hand probably were, but painted like the adjoining walls.) It's all the current taste for removing plaster (in whole or in patches to simulate the ravages of time) and wood and leaving it gnarly and natural as though it had washed ashore. The however many hundred little recessed lights in the ceiling are terrible, not "cans" but sardine tin holes cut everywhere to illuminate every single picture and object, and because the ceilings are so fucking low they can have proper chandeliers. Evidently they have never heard of table lamps or not lighting up every room like a dental clinic. That main, reception room should have been a lovely space but they made it rustic and a cartoon caricature house with that ugly rough stairway, once again exposing elements meant to be concealed. The other rooms are less bad, but you see in the couple simple Federal chimneypieces (also stripped bare ass naked) that the rooms did have some detail originally; they wouldn't have looked like the inside of a milk house.

The furniture is a showy mess, all those Klismos chairs and recamiers, the leather covered door, the splashes of MCM, and then the kitchen that looks like mid-grade Lowe's, ca.1989. Maybe they spent a lot of money to look that cheap, but it's not a success.

It's a showy, expensive, very compromised house, filled with some tarty look-at-me things, some that are okay, and a few that are rather good. It just doesn't come together for me. A house like that extending off in wings in all directions needs a point of view to bring things together, and by that I don't mean buckets of white paint. It's a designer's scrapbook of ideas pulling in all directions and not very happily.

Washington, Connecticut is lovely as I recall, or certainly has some fine houses and some handsome once fairly modest house done well. For $145,000 less, I'd much prefer this place which bests OP's Decorators' Den in pretty much every respect other than its dowdy wallpaper and leftover bits of furniture sent to the country house. Stripped empty one house will look like a modest house made over as a cheap tart, and the other will be a rather glorious country pile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2022 8:19 PM

Why would someone have so many coffee table books? And take up so much room in a small house with them?

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2022 8:24 PM

r12 - I absolutely LOVE that house.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2022 8:29 PM

R13: The listing describes it as the (owner) "designer's own" top to bottom renovation house so I would assume they are architecture and interior design books. I know everyone thinks one shouldn't have more than a Kindle, but I'll stick up for the owner in this case. Ebooks are not remotely substitute for art books. Now the particular style of displaying them is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2022 8:35 PM

The pool is nice.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2022 9:29 PM

It look like a lovely old house from outside. Inside its way too compromised and far too white, characterless and dull

I far prefer the one R12 posted, with a bit more colour it'd be stunning

Or even the one in this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2022 9:50 PM

If Patrick Bateman had a country house . . .

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2022 10:15 PM

The kitchen needs someone to blow up a lasagna in it, pronto.

by Anonymousreply 19April 18, 2022 10:21 PM

Looks a little bit like the Beetlejuice house.

by Anonymousreply 20April 18, 2022 10:27 PM

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about this house but the owner seems like an interesting guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 12:12 AM

R5, it's better for older book spines to store them that way, and used booksellers sometimes store their overstock this way.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 12:21 AM

I LOVE the house! I would be DELIGHTED to live there! Hell, I'd even take it with the furnishings and renovations in place, as long as I could add some color here and there!

Because really, that's my only nitpick with the house, which is gracious yet comfortable, spacious yet cozy, a bit grand yet livable, and quite lovely overall. So really, the main thing I'd change would be to add more color, mostly some mellow creams and celadons to set off the white woodwork, but who can look at that kitchen and not be tempted to go hog wild with the blues and yellows or something?

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 2:37 AM

Ohhh, Celadon....oohhhh Celadon....

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 2:51 AM

Love it. Love it. Love it. Would blow OP for the 3 million to buy it.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 2:56 AM

I love it. Just as it is. It even has a pool.

Wrap it up. My man will come pick it up later.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 3:50 AM

Hate the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 3:52 AM

Isn’t this town the inspiration for Stars Hollow, from GILMORE GIRLS?

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 3:59 AM

Kitchen looks cold, awful, and cheap. Barely IKEA level. It makes no sense in the context of the house. They should have ripped it out and redone before selling. The horizontal books are genuinely ghastly. No one in that house reads.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 12:27 PM

The kitchen is very unsatisfying.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2022 12:29 PM

White doesn't work in the kitchen. I wonder if he or his wife is colorblind--that would explain all the white and why someone has a study that has some color. Otherwise, I like it. It's a basically pretty simple house and they've used that as a canvas for their not really tasteful stuff.

R12's house seems like a constant money pit--the rooflines, the 8 bathrooms (all that plumbing), the windows. A shame because it really does seem elegant, yet livable inside.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2022 12:39 PM

They don’t use the kitchen because this is a golf community.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2022 12:47 PM

Oh, jeez, this one bothers me because I love the house itself, it's gorgeous, but the furnishings are practically heresy. Matchy-matchy pairs of chairs everywhere! The kitchen lighting fixture is the only color in the room and it looks like a Daddy Longlegs spider. Books stacked by color EVERYWHERE. It makes me so sad.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2022 1:00 PM

Nice - but for that money I would want more than 1 acre. It’s Litchfield County not the Hamptons.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 1:43 PM

I looked at this house when it was for sale in 2019 or so. The price was $1 million less. The new owners did renovation but are flipping the place. It was a charming house with character and the right size for a couple. Its on a lovely street in a gorgeous neighborhood and walkable to a town green, coffee place library etc.

My issue was the yard which is small and surrounded by some very large properties including a Rossiter house like the one in R12. The pool is closer to a plunge pool. Three strokes would be one lap.

The place sat for ages closer to 2 m before it dropped a few times and finally sold. I’ll be amazed it sells at this price unless it gets a huge Covid premium.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 2:55 PM

R25----looks down. This belt isn't gonna take itself off, ya know. Get to work.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2022 6:40 PM

This is the third Tasteful Friends thread we've had recently for a house in Washington, CT. Does one of you live there or something?

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2022 7:02 PM

The books seem like coffee table or photography books. It's not like they're stacked 6 feet high. I like to store my books horizontally. There's actually less damage, IME, that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2022 7:09 PM

"Taste" these days seems to mean the complete absence of personality -- there's nothing in this house that implies a human being with a real life lives here. And nothing in this house that couldn't be bought at Restoration Hardware in a weekend.

The house itself, however, is nice if not a little cramped. Certainly not worth the amount of money they're asking.

And although the house looks all springtime fresh, the number of nice days in that part of Connecticut is extremely limited. You'd be spending most of your time reading all those horrible horizontal books.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2022 7:27 PM

Dodging golf balls and shattered glass…..and golf people.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2022 1:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!