Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephen Tashjian, a.k.a. Tabboo!

Those who remember East Village drag personality Tabboo!, definitely remember. Now getting art world and press recognition, at 63…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 3:10 AM

That outfit is certainly "Tabboo" 🙄

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2022 8:23 PM

Pyramid, Mars, Wigstock, downtown, etc. I remember seeing him perform numerous times. Sardonic, weird, sick and hilarious. Good for him!

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2022 8:27 PM

Back in the day we called his act, “depression chic.”

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2022 8:27 PM

Now that’s how you do old-school 80’s gay kitsch, Miss Musto!

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2022 8:39 PM

Exactly R4. At least his home isn't depressing though certainly cluttered and true to his racines. Times did a better story on Taboo's painting. They are lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2022 8:43 PM

So happy for him!!

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2022 9:59 PM

He obviously dusted for this profile. He was veering into “Quentin Crisp” territory, housekeeping wise…..

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2022 10:10 PM

Good for him. I would venture to say he dusted more than his furniture, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2022 11:14 PM

Stephen has lived in the same rent-controlled apartment in the East Village for forty or more years. We've been friends for over thirty of them. He can be quite nutty, but warm, funny and a sweet guy. I think his work is singular and excellent!

He has had periods of true success and has always gotten by as an artist, I think if you can say that you are a big success. People like Quincy Jones and Elton John have bought his paintings, that's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2022 3:26 AM

I've met him a few times. I'm nothing special and as old as he is (i.e. not a young twink although I was one in my 20s) and he was invariably attentive and kind. More than polite. In the short interactions I could tell this a good person.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!