Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Health officials warn of 'large' outbreak of serious bacterial meningitis outbreak in Florida

Health officials are warning Florida residents about a "large" outbreak of a potentially fatal bacterial illness known as meningococcal disease that's primarily affecting gay and bisexual men.

So far this year, there have been 21 confirmed cases of meningococcal disease as of Monday, according to Florida Department of Health data. That's higher than the state's five-year average of cases of the disease.

"[Florida Department of Health] epidemiologists are investigating each case as well as contacting people with potential or direct exposure to known cases to provide them with information and treatment options," the department said in a statement.

Most of the cases are in central Florida, and more than half are in people between the ages of 20 and 39, according to state health department data.

The "large, ongoing" outbreak is primarily among men who have sex with men, including those living with HIV, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC recently issued an alert on the outbreak, urging gay and bisexual men and men who have sex with men who live in Florida or who plan to travel to the state to get vaccinated against the disease. The outbreak is primarily among residents, though it has affected some people who have traveled to Florida, the CDC said.

There also have been cases of meningococcal disease reported among Florida college students in recent months, though "there is no evidence to suggest that the cases among college students are related to the larger outbreak," the CDC said.

Meningococcal disease is a rare but serious disease that is primarily spread by close or direct contact, such as kissing. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, confusion and rash.

Meningococcal disease can commonly lead to two potentially fatal infections: meningitis — when the lining of the brain and spinal cord become infected — and bloodstream infection.

Those who contract the disease could suffer from hearing loss, brain damage, kidney damage, loss of limbs or nervous system problems.

"Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect against meningococcal disease," the Florida Department of Health said.

Florida health officials are encouraging men who have sex with men, people living with HIV, immunocompromised individuals and college students to get vaccinated against the disease amid the outbreak. Anyone in those groups who more than five years ago received their MenACWY vaccine — one of two types of meningococcal vaccines available in the U.S. — is also encouraged to get vaccinated.

People planning to travel to Florida should get vaccinated at least two weeks before traveling, the CDC advised.

College students may choose to get a MenB vaccine, which is available for those between the ages of 16 and 23, to protect against meningococcal disease, the CDC said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2022 2:40 AM

[quote] People planning to travel to Florida should get vaccinated at least two weeks before traveling, the CDC advised.

Whaaa?

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2022 5:09 AM

Wow, Florida is just "Plague Central."

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2022 5:18 AM

Which word is confusing you, R1?

Hm, an infection that is ripping through the gay community without a known source? Why does that sound familiar? Keep PrEP-ing it up, idiots. Let's see what else the whores of Florida can create. Maybe they can help make it airborne! But, whatevs, at least the whores don't have to bother with a big (small?) bad condom.

After all the gay men drop dead from this and all the hets slutting it up in the nursing homes and retirement communities kill themselves with various sexually transmitted diseases, and all the Trumptards are done dying of Covid, maybe Florida will be a nice place to visit again. Morons.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2022 5:25 AM

Jesus R3 you're a pro-science type right.

People are fkn crazy.

Careful ffs everyone, bless.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2022 5:29 AM

Why would you risk meningitis, r1?

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2022 5:32 AM

Nobody cares as long as they can get off with their poppers.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2022 9:35 AM

This is serious stuff, op.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2022 2:44 PM

Is this realted to #vaids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2022 4:07 PM

This is why they hate us..

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2022 4:16 PM

Say it with me, Whores Ruin Everything!

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2022 7:01 PM

Seven gay men in Florida have died from meningitis.

The CDC calls this "one of the worst outbreaks of meningococcal disease among gay and bisexual men in U.S. history."

Get the vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 1:29 PM

Another smear the queer campaign?

Don't they make a fuss about not naming certain demographics because of isms?

So, why have gay men gotten the raw deal this year?

Are they trying to get republicans elected or give the democrats a new scapegoat for the loss of voters?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 1:39 PM

I knew a ten year old girl who contracted Bacterial Meningitis. She was dead within 24 hours. It was completely horrible.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2022 2:02 PM

Oh, great.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2022 2:19 PM

These ancient fags are on high alert because their PTSD is triggered by a highly exploitive tabloid even though they’re at no risk of contracting meningitis because they too old and too fat to have sex

Trolls exploit these geezers irrational fear like clockwork

Both saddening and hilarious

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 2:35 PM

I am sure DeSantis has something to do with this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 2:40 PM

Oh, Look—The “Above-It-All” Troll.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2022 2:46 PM

Just don't travel to Florida. Problem solved

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2022 5:54 PM

Thanks for the info OP.

I live in SW Florida and just scheduled my vaccination for Saturday morning.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2022 6:16 PM

Well, I haven't has sex since before AIDS, so I am sure I will be fine and just watch it blow over like the rest.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2022 10:54 PM

Ooof this is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2022 11:09 PM

GET THE VACCINE. There is no reason not too and then you won’t have to worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2022 11:15 PM

This is so fucking sad.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 11:16 PM

[quote]There is no reason not too

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 11:18 PM

Is the vaccine safe ? It’s dangerous to be a sexually active gay man these days

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2022 5:56 AM

Yes, the vaccine is safe.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2022 1:50 PM

All college kids get vaccinated for meningitis. It’s well-known to spread in dorms. This isn’t new.

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2022 1:03 AM

Imagine the amount of meth used and barebacking in South Florida over Gay Pride week!

I'm sure Death Santis is ready to ignore your deaths and declare Florida open for business!

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2022 1:11 AM

I got the vaccine earlier this year and as R22 said, yes, it is safe.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2022 1:38 AM

My cooter is itchy, y’all!

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2022 2:00 AM

How is it spread?

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2022 2:01 AM

<- use both hands

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2022 2:13 AM

I inquired about the vaccine for my kid when she was going away to college and it wasn't covered. I think it was about $300. Just fyi.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2022 2:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!