Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California is such an amazing state!

And I especially love all of the new places I’m discovering in Southern California.

Yesterday, I spent the day in Arroyo Seco Park, and it was just perfect and lovely.

I met hikers, people on horseback, skate boarders, dog people, golfers. You name it, people were out and about enjoying their weekend with their family and friends, or pets!

We are so fortunate to live here (those of us who do), and we’re facing challenges with homelessness, yes. But we are also thriving economically, on the other end of the spectrum.

What I love about Cali, are things like our national parks, county /city parks, our well planned new highways and transportation platforms.

Our museums are well kept, and we are such an innovative state.

Living somewhere, where you may access mountains, deserts, valleys and beaches, all within hours of each destination, is awesome.

I’m really grateful to live in the most beautiful and amazing state of all of America.

We are fortunate AF, Bitches!!!

Rejoice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 18, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote] California is such an amazing state!

Indeed. Pity though how it was fucked up by Californians

by Anonymousreply 1April 11, 2022 5:17 PM

"And I especially love all of the new places I’m discovering in Southern California"

If you discover any water the state will be eternally grateful

by Anonymousreply 2April 11, 2022 5:27 PM

OP, try Eaton Canyon next. Glad you're enjoying this wonderful state.

by Anonymousreply 3April 11, 2022 5:30 PM

If you discover a livable house under a $million, grab it

by Anonymousreply 4April 11, 2022 5:32 PM

I would think you’re trolling for the state tourism board, but they never would have used that awful picture. While you’re in that area check out the Heritage Square Museum, Charles Lummis House and Southwest Museum of the American Indian. All three are relics from another time, yet somehow manage to remain open, so go soon before they might fail.

by Anonymousreply 5April 11, 2022 5:53 PM

The Charles Lummis House would be a great site for a needle exchange

by Anonymousreply 6April 11, 2022 6:04 PM

Yeah, the homeless shitting on the sidewalks. Scat heaven!

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2022 6:12 PM

R5 excellent suggestions. I have been to all three and concur.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2022 6:14 PM

And it will be ravaged by fire in a couple of months. I hate living under all that smoke for months on end.

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2022 6:15 PM

Thanks, R5!

by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2022 6:25 PM

R7 is NOT me.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2022 6:26 PM

The people giving this thread shit have never lived in California, or are legitimately pissed because the Cali fires burned down their properties.

Fires are a big deal, of course.

But fires aside, California is still an amazing state.

The only place you may have it better in the United States is Hawaii, but you’re gonna need MONEY to live well, in Hawaii.

Yeah, you need MONEY to live well in Cali, too, but more so in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2022 6:31 PM

oh boy, here we go..............

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2022 6:32 PM

oh boy, here we go..............

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2022 6:32 PM

Why, R13?

by Anonymousreply 15April 11, 2022 6:33 PM

Where are we going?

by Anonymousreply 16April 11, 2022 6:34 PM

California is usually so full of themselves that they need a reality check once in awhile

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2022 6:35 PM

Oh, do shut up, R17.

You have zero idea what you speak of.

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2022 6:38 PM

Just for MERE starters…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2022 6:41 PM

Homeless people also adore California!

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2022 6:45 PM

Yeah, they do, R20, because all of the red, shithole states, bus them over here.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2022 6:47 PM

[quote] California is usually so full of themselves that they need a reality check once in awhile

Says the New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2022 6:48 PM

This isn’t California’s fault.

Why don’t you shitholr states take care of your own?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2022 6:52 PM

^ * RED, shithole states

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2022 6:53 PM

R5, FYI. I’m an avid horseback person.

Nothing wrong with posting pics of what I find valuable in SoCal.

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2022 6:56 PM

I do live in CA. I live down the mountain from the 2018 Paradise fire. We were under smoke from July until Nov when that fire hit. Since 2018 we have had horrible fires from July until Nov. Try living under that for months. It is starting to give people long-term lung damage from all those tiny particles that get lodged in your lungs from all those houses and buildings that burn every year. And it is getting worse as climate change gets worse.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2022 6:59 PM

I left CA in 2017. Nearly all my friends had left, my rent controlled apartment had a leaking roof and a toilet that broke monthly, and state taxes were insane.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2022 7:16 PM

Yes, it's great, that's why we moved here!

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2022 7:20 PM

I would love to live in CA, but I can barely afford to live in FL.

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2022 7:21 PM

The streets of its cities make for beautiful and convenient toilets!

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2022 7:21 PM

Aw enjoy it! You’re right, it can be great. On the other hand, there are many drawbacks. It has changed so much! Everything is a tradeoff.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2022 7:24 PM

I spent a decade there one year!

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2022 7:26 PM

I adore California, but only far outside the major cities. LA and San Francisco overall are snake pits. San Diego is somewhat better, but it's just not to my liking. But I am crazy for the desert (both low and high) as I have old friends who live in both types of environments. But my favorite place is the shores of Lake Tahoe. If I could choose the best place to live it would be there. Pure Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2022 7:31 PM

Tahoe is a nice area R33. I spent a summer in Carnelian Bay on the CA side. My apt was right on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2022 7:44 PM

Tahoe is shit.

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2022 8:18 PM

OP works with the tourism development Dept.

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2022 8:18 PM

@r18, "Oh, do shut up, [R17]. You have zero idea what you speak of."

Found the California snowflake

@r22, "Says the New Yorker. "

Nope, but you're probably wrong a lot 😏

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2022 8:50 PM

We don't type "AF" after the age of 12, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2022 8:55 PM

I’m glad you like it here Op. I love California too, I’ve lived here all my life, almost 61 years. But, please don’t call it Cali. I’ll never have you over for drinks if you do that again.

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2022 9:00 PM

I love Frisco, in Cali.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2022 9:15 PM

Op, you can come to Wisi anytime you want for drinks and some awesome sites 🙂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2022 9:24 PM

Two New York friends, native New Yorkers, moved outside of San Francisco about 20 years ago. They moved because of their jobs. In less than a year, one of them lost his job.

They both hate it there. The main problem, it's way too expensive. They bought a crappy bungalow type house for almost $600,000! They got fined for putting their recyclables out on the wrong day and other such bullshit.

They hope to move back to the East Coast, preferably upstate NY, unfortunately that area is now getting pricey. They regret not buying a Soho loft or a Long Island City rowhouse when they were still cheap.

One of them could find a job anywhere, they're a teacher. There wasn't a serious reason for their move, they seemed to base it on always going to California on their vacations, they always enjoyed their California vacations, living there is a whole other situation.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2022 9:31 PM

I've always wanted to see Northern California (redwoods, Carmel, etc.), but want to avoid Los Angeles (though I know there's lots of good food there). I HAVE heard San Diego (outside of being expensive) is wonderful. I wouldn't mind seeing that as well.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2022 9:32 PM

No one who lives in California calls it "Cali" - despised by everyone. I cringe when that happens...

The use of the term reflects you are an outsider. Same as Frisco for San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2022 9:37 PM

^ But, I am an outsider, so "Cali" it is 😏

How are things in Frisco and LaLa Land?

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2022 9:42 PM

OP< are you living in 1952?

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2022 9:51 PM

R45, you shouldn't want to represent yourself as an outsider. It is better if you try to fit in.

Same with Frisco and LaLa Land....UGH! All very bad!!

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2022 10:17 PM

^ 😂 ^ Why would I want to "fit in" with Cali?

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2022 10:19 PM

^ do whatever you want. Only trying to not get you killed in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2022 10:22 PM

^ Oh, you're a wacko 😜, got it

by Anonymousreply 50April 11, 2022 10:24 PM

I think I'd love L.A. but I don't make enough to live anywhere nice there :/

by Anonymousreply 51April 11, 2022 11:03 PM

It's very simple, OP. Anyone who comes here and insists on referring to California as "Cali" should meet the same fate as the Donner party.

by Anonymousreply 52April 11, 2022 11:20 PM

^ Don't ever leave Cali, you wouldn't like the real world

by Anonymousreply 53April 11, 2022 11:26 PM

Another bonus to living in CA is that we don’t have humidity like they do in so much of the rest of the country. It’s one of the first things all my relatives say when they visit.

by Anonymousreply 54April 11, 2022 11:38 PM

How much longer can Southern Coastal California hang onto the Chaparral biome?

by Anonymousreply 55April 11, 2022 11:40 PM

@r54, Yeah, well maybe a little rain and humidity might be a blessing

by Anonymousreply 56April 11, 2022 11:42 PM

And there is a bill that would let almost everyone work only 4 days a week. That's what's being proposed under AB-2932, which would officially shorten a workweek from 40 hours to 32 hours for companies with more than 500 employees. A full workday would remain 8 hours but would require overtime pay for employees who work longer than 32 hours or four full days a week.

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2022 12:29 AM

I've spent plenty of time outside of California, OP, and have liked many of the places I've been. I doubt that I'd like where you're from, though.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2022 12:37 AM

^ So, what's wrong with Hawaii?

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2022 12:40 AM

Hang loose you guys.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2022 12:41 AM

Going to go and hang ten 😀

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2022 12:43 AM

If you've got ten, you can come sit by me.

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2022 12:48 AM

Oh, you were talking about toes.

Never mind. Not into toe fucking.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2022 12:48 AM

Hang Ten is a surf expression you fucking moron @ R62 and R63, it has nothing to do with "toe fucking".

To 'hang ten' is to ride a surfboard with all ten toes curled over the board's front edge.

Hang Ten is also the name of a surf clothing company which started in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2022 12:56 AM

R64 clearly does not understand satire, or comedy.

How long have you been a moron?

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2022 1:11 AM

[quote][R64] clearly does not understand satire, or comedy. How long have you been a moron?

I sure do understand satire and comedy, YOU were the fucking imbecile who initially assumed some dude was posting about his 10 inch cock: "If you've got ten, you can come sit by me." Then, after you obviously looked up the expression: "Oh, you were talking about toes."

Stop the bullshit and the obvious lying.

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2022 1:21 AM

I’ve always loved CA. Vacationed from NYC for 30+ years at least once a year. Always thought I’d move there, It that craving has died off in the past few years. Being there during fires where the sky is brown with smoke for days and the earth is brown from drought for months has become a regular thing. Combined with the insane price increases for real estate - even in LA - it’s lost it’s appeal as a place to move permanently.

I’ve decided vacations there regularly are as good as living there. With AirBnb I can “live” temporarily in every kind of CA location - which wasn’t possible 10-20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2022 1:31 AM

[quote] YOU were the fucking imbecile who initially assumed some dude was posting about his 10 inch cock:

Oh hon, you're not doing anything to help to long held belief that all west coasters are brainless morons. I FUCKING KNEW THE "HANGING TEN" WAS REFERRING TO SURFING YOU EMPTY HEADED TWAT! You're either 16 or some old hippie who long ago burned his brain up with dope.

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2022 1:48 AM

How sad to get so worked up about an anonymous commenter on the internet - get a life.

by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2022 2:15 AM

R68 is a major twat. Wow. 🖕🖕💩

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2022 2:27 AM

Clap it snapper head.

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2022 2:30 AM

California, like New York City, is a thing of the past. They no longer resemble their former selves. They’re unlivable.

by Anonymousreply 72April 12, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote]Oh hon, you're not doing anything to help to long held belief that all west coasters are brainless morons. I FUCKING KNEW THE "HANGING TEN" WAS REFERRING TO SURFING YOU EMPTY HEADED TWAT! You're either 16 or some old hippie who long ago burned his brain up with dope.

Simmer down. You seem quite unhinged. Doll, I'm a native New Yorker, I haven't been to California in years.

You sure thought the other poster was talking about his 10 inch cock, Stop lying. [bold]You sure cannot go back to edit your post! [/bold] That's actually one good thing about DL, people cannot backtrack what they posted.

Now, darling, go take you meds! Seems like you've missed about a week of your anti-psychotic medication. Toodles.

by Anonymousreply 73April 12, 2022 3:05 AM

I moved to Southern California from Phoenix. I will never leave. It is my paradise.

by Anonymousreply 74April 12, 2022 3:23 AM

[Quote] Yesterday, I spent the day in Arroyo Seco Park

I live two blocks from that park. What OP forgot to tell you is the are homeless encampments on three side of it. One very large one. OP is blinded by her fake glee for Ca/Pasadena. There are NO "hikers" because there are no true trails there except for a little dirt path the goes to on asphalt path. These "hikers" are typically fraus with their "men" they drag along. They are walking and nothing more. There is one small horse stable with a few horses. Unhoused as they call them here are in the park along with some gang members {not many} and one or two drug dealers. It's a known thing here. Oh and not far and very walkable is the largest tiny house for the unhoused community that LA has put together. Right next to the freeway. Take OP's fake sunshine with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 75April 12, 2022 3:40 AM

^ Thanks for your honesty 🙂

by Anonymousreply 76April 12, 2022 3:54 AM

We moved to Tuscany Valley, CA, and we were both dead within 8 years! ⚰😭🖕🍇🍷

by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2022 4:19 AM

[quote] Toodles.

Back at'cha sissybritches.

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2022 9:57 AM

Not for this Okie, no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 79April 12, 2022 11:00 AM

by Anonymousreply 80April 13, 2022 4:45 AM

R57, who can afford to live here on 32 hours a week pay, though? It's just another way to avoid paying benefits, holiday, and vacation time.

[quote]The people giving this thread shit have never lived in California

Bullshit. I was born here and I'll bitch about it all I want.

by Anonymousreply 81April 13, 2022 5:44 AM

"The people giving this thread shit have never lived in California"

I bet they're fat, ugly and jealous too. Ew, California doesn't want uggos. Only the pretty people can live here 😎

by Anonymousreply 82April 13, 2022 8:33 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 13, 2022 9:06 AM

Expat Ellen has left California y'all. Mostly because of the wildfires, cost of living and political climate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2022 12:08 AM

I’d live there if I had the money to live where I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2022 12:13 AM

Actually, R17, we're not really full of ourselves. Unlike New York "The Best Place That Ever Existed" City, we don't really care what others think of us.

I'm fourth generation Los Angeles. I couldn't care less if you think the city or the state is amazing or a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2022 1:45 AM

Ah california once the golden state now it is known for people shitting on the street.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2022 2:18 AM

As a non-American, I can confirm that California and the California lifestyle is the image that motivates most foreigners to want to move to America. Hollywood has long perpetuated it from as far back as the 60s to the 90s with movies and shows such as Beverly Hillis 90210 and even now with The Kardashians. The problem is, so many people expect the whole country to be like that. My German friend landed in Trenton, New Jersey and she's always complaining it's not what she expected.

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2022 2:32 AM

Never go into the big cities where the ugly side of California is on full display.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2022 2:35 AM

The problem is, California is unaffordable for most, but with all these red states becoming more and more aggressively fascist day by day, where can you live? I need to relocate, but anywhere with no water is out. And most places with water think Ron DeSantis is some kind of genius. After this abortion stuff, next is gay marriage and I’ve heard they’re even talking about repealing interracial marriage in some red states. It’s all going to boil down to, if you’re in a blue state, you live in a democracy. If you’re in a red state, you’re living in The Handmaiden’s Tale, or worse, Nazi Germany. The Supreme Court has shown they plan to get more and more radical. Wait a few years when they overturn half the Constitution. And if we lose Congress, or the Presidency, which is bound to happen sooner or later, the Supreme Court will go even harder right. So blue states will be like their own separate country, whether they are legally or not. They will be islands of sanity in a red infested hellhole, with some extremist Trumper as President, if Biden can’t pull it out.

So tell me, California DLers, is there any place left in California, or elsewhere, that isn’t dry as a bone and is reliably blue?

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2022 4:01 PM

"So tell me, California DLers, is there any place left in California, or elsewhere, that isn’t dry as a bone and is reliably blue?"

Illinois. Seriously. But obviously Illinois has it's own set of drawbacks - from high property taxes to less than inspiring natural vistas, unless you're in southern Illinois (closer to Kentucky and Missouri) or near the lake in Chicago.

That said, there are nice places to live in Illinois, but you'd have to commit to living in the Midwest, which people who aren't from the Midwest are sometimes loathe to do.

All I'm saying is that Illinois checks the water and reliably blue boxes. The Democratic super majority in the legislature just changed the appellate court districts to better ensure a Dem majority on the Illinois Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 91May 15, 2022 4:10 PM

R91, thanks. But property taxes are an issue because I will be retiring in a few years. And as we all know, if Arizona and Southern California run out of water, people will be flooding out of there and jacking up the property taxes even higher as prices skyrocket. I read yesterday that some small town in Arizona is about to go bone dry. I don’t think most people are paying attention to what’s about to happen. Worst case, a mass exodus out of some Colorado River fed areas.

I was looking at the Northwest, but I can’t afford ten thousand dollars in property taxes a year until I get priced out of my own house.

by Anonymousreply 92May 15, 2022 4:19 PM

Been there. Done that. So grateful to have had my years in California but even more grateful to have moved elsewhere. A great place to visit but I wouldn't live there again if you gave me a house. I found the people to be unfriendly and painfully self-focused. All that good weather and still so many are constantly searching for happiness. Good for you OP and may you enjoy life there.

by Anonymousreply 93May 15, 2022 4:26 PM

It's lovely, I had a mother who lived there once.

by Anonymousreply 94May 18, 2022 3:31 AM

How many mothers did you have?

by Anonymousreply 95May 18, 2022 3:44 AM

I am a Californian and I love California. Nothing is perfect, but CA has the best weather and lifestyle in the country. You can be free to be yourself, which is wonderful. LA and San Francisco are two fantastic cities, despite the problems. The deserts, the mountains, the coast - it's the best. And people generally nice. That doesn't mean they aren't shady sometimes, but people in SF, LA, SD, and even in the red OC, people are overall very nice here. I think CA is an extremely friendly state - it's very inclusive. You don't get that everywhere. It's why it's so expensive - everyone wants to live here. People are coming out of hiding and back to the cities now that hopefully the worst is behind us w/ Covid.

by Anonymousreply 96May 18, 2022 5:00 AM

I love California. I moved here about 4 years ago after a lifetime of longing. I live in Sonoma County and it is gorgeous here. I will never leave.

by Anonymousreply 97May 18, 2022 5:03 AM

[quote]The problem is, California is unaffordable for most, but with all these red states becoming more and more aggressively fascist day by day, where can you live?

THIS. This is why I love CA but also why it's very hard to leave. There aren't a ton of options to live a normal gay life where it's completely accepted except NYC, DC, Vermont, and Ft. Lauderdale/Miami. And then you have to contend with the weather in the alternatives. You just can't put a price tag on acceptance and good weather. I guess you can and I am willing to pay it.

by Anonymousreply 98May 18, 2022 5:04 AM

Smog, desert, heat, drought, fires, snakes, serial killers, obnoxious prices, ungodly commute times, Mexicans, earthquakes...

Whatever news I get from California always seems negative.

by Anonymousreply 99May 18, 2022 5:06 AM

i LOVE when fox news and trumpers act like California is SOOOO awful. yeah it is STAY way. I LOVE IT HERE. hahahah

by Anonymousreply 100May 18, 2022 5:30 AM

I think I could do NYC if it had SF weather year round. I would totally give it a try. Weather is the real boner killer for every trying NYC, but it I like NY a lot.

by Anonymousreply 101May 18, 2022 5:50 AM

What's a "normal gay life" R98?

by Anonymousreply 102May 18, 2022 11:31 AM

Grindr, Golden Girls reruns, earings, caftans, Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 103May 18, 2022 1:08 PM

Their state song is catchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 18, 2022 2:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!